Latics look for Liddell boost - End of March

Guest oa exile

Guest oa_exile
Latics look for Liddell boost by MICHAEL YARWOOD

ATHLETIC have given veteran winger Andy Liddell a new target for his comeback from injury.

Liddell has been out of action for three and a half months, but there is a chance he could be ready to play by the end of March.

The 34-year-old is recovering from an Achilles operation – the second time he has undergone the procedure during his time at Boundary Park.

Athletic are confident he will return for the last few games of the season, boosting their squad when, potentially, they could be chasing the play-offs.

Assistant manager Tommy Wright said: “Everything is going to plan for Lidds, so we hope he has no more than one month to go.

“Obviously you want quality, experienced players in your squad, and if he’s out any longer than that it won’t be by much.

“The operation he had a couple of years ago was on the other Achilles, so there’s no connection between the two injuries.

“He has been there before and knows the routine. We are just waiting now, but he’s very, very keen to get back.”

Liddell, who joined Athletic from Sheffield United, is nearing the end of his three-year deal at Boundary Park.

He has been restricted to 17 games this season but has a record of 25 goals – plus many assists – in 106 appearances for the club.

1 gol in 4, 1 assist in 3. shud come back with just enough hunger to take us up and get a new contract somewhere else

If it is the early season Liddell I ain't especially looking forward to it. I'm hoping that the injury was what caused him to be pap for nigh on a year, but I'm not expecting much myself. Would rather Sheridan reorganise the team so he doesn't get near it.

He'll score the winning goal against crewe in the dying minutes to send us into the playoffs :grin:

i dont know you personally, but i have come to the conclusion that you have an andy liddell alarm which sounds whenever his name is mentioned and flashes up the GPS co ordinates of said mention! it may or may not have a batman type light which illuminates the sky in case you are out at the time :grin:

i dont know you personally, but i have come to the conclusion that you have an andy liddell alarm which sounds whenever his name is mentioned and flashes up the GPS co ordinates of said mention! it may or may not have a batman type light which illuminates the sky in case you are out at the time :grin:

it certainly does have the batman style light, it illuminates the sky above shaw regularly :D

If it is the early season Liddell I ain't especially looking forward to it. I'm hoping that the injury was what caused him to be pap for nigh on a year, but I'm not expecting much myself. Would rather Sheridan reorganise the team so he doesn't get near it.

It was quite apparent he was playing on through his injury before succumbing.

I'll be quite glad to get him back. Whilst we're creating at the moment, Liddell will add to that and will give us further options in the critical stages.

It will be great to have Liddell back in the squad, nice and refreshed for the last few games of the season could be just what we need!

I doubt he'd be that fresh if Gemma got her way with him first :wub: Otherwise totally agree, I've a feeling he will have all guns blazing. Lids, Hughes and Gregan are three pretty decent signings to make.

I will be delighted to see Lids back in contention. He's the best crosser of the ball in the squad and we could have done with his creativity in recent weeks as we've been lacking in that area. He's not gonna beat his man over and over again but the quality of his balls into the box outweighs this, in my view. I also think he brings more balance to the midfield, helping to spread the play from left to right and giving the central midfielders a bit more space & time.

I doubt he'd be that fresh if Gemma got her way with him first :wub: Otherwise totally agree, I've a feeling he will have all guns blazing. Lids, Hughes and Gregan are three pretty decent signings to make.

I'd try to control myself the night before a match :blush:

I do think Lids and Hughes will link up very well though and with Gregan hopefully back soon they should provide the team with a huge boost

Think Liddell is exactly the player we've been crying out for in recent months. Somebody who can come off the bench to actually CHANGE things for us. We've badly missed somebody with his kind of experience to come on with half an hour to go. The bench on saturday consisted of Bell, Black, Wolfy, Smalley and Lomax, none of whom have more than a handful of games under their belts.

Not to put too much of a downer on things, but if all his frankly dreadful performances over the past year are down to his injury, then why didn't he have an operation over the summer?

I'm expecting nowt but what we got before as I still reckon his legs have pretty much gone. Hope I'm wrong as in his time for us (for a player at the wrong end of his career) he was really good.

Not to put too much of a downer on things, but if all his frankly dreadful performances over the past year are down to his injury, then why didn't he have an operation over the summer?

Mainly because his recent injury only occurred this season. It had nothing to do with the achilles problem earlier - on the other leg.

Not that I agree with your claim about his "dreadful" performances!

Edited by LaticsPete

I'm expecting nowt but what we got before as I still reckon his legs have pretty much gone. Hope I'm wrong as in his time for us (for a player at the wrong end of his career) he was really good.

Sadly I agree, his legs have gone. I'd get rid in the summer, be on a fair wage as well.

Time up for me as well hes been ok for us but id liked to see somone who has more than 2 tricks in his armoury. Taylor should be first choice right winger. I wouldn't put Liddell in ahead of Gary Mac at the moment either because all tho Macca isnt a natural wingers hes done very well in recent weeks and Liddell shouldn't come straight back into the squad cause hes a name