Promotion

1998-2001 Andy Ritchie

2001-2002 Mick Wadsworth

2002-2003 Iain Dowie

2004-2005 Brian Talbot

2005-2006 Ronnie Moore

2006-Pres John Sheridan

Looking at this is it any wonder we have not been promoted?

The only person who had enough time to do settle in was Ritchie, he did a fantastic job to keep us from being relegated and when he did get the money and we were making progress Moore sacked him.

Even if Sheridan makes mistakes I personally feel it is imperative that we keep him, whether we dont get promoted this season OR next.

1998-2001 Andy Ritchie

2001-2002 Mick Wadsworth

2002-2003 Iain Dowie

2004-2005 Brian Talbot

2005-2006 Ronnie Moore

2006-Pres John Sheridan

The only person who had enough time to do settle in was Ritchie, he did a fantastic job to keep us from being relegated and when he did get the money and we were making progress Moore sacked him.

Even if Sheridan makes mistakes I personally feel it is imperative that we keep him, whether we dont get promoted this season OR next.

Agreed

If you look at the two most recent promotions in our history one was acheieved with Jimmy Frizz, 12 years service and the other with Big Joe 14 years service (i know we got promotion before the end of their reigns, and I may have the total number of years wrong!).

Also the two most succesfull clubs in the country in the last 15 years, Manure and Arsenal, both have long serving managers.

So my message to TTA is :ktf:

Guest sheridans_world

Its been said before that Shez could be on a three year plan. (Think Bigfin come up with the idea).

With this season being the first season. He's ripped apart and built his own team this season.

Next season he tweaks, makes adjustments and brings in two or three players (rather than the double digits we have been seeing), possible promotion.

Season after he achieves promotion if not consolidation if already in a higher division.

Then it starts again in a higher division.

Seems so simple, eh?

If you look at the two most recent promotions in our history one was acheieved with Jimmy Frizz, 12 years service and the other with Big Joe 14 years service (i know we got promotion before the end of their reigns, and I may have the total number of years wrong!).

Also the two most succesfull clubs in the country in the last 15 years, Manure and Arsenal, both have long serving managers.

So my message to TTA is :ktf:

Totally agree. I think they have faith in Shez too, and we're starting to get the right things in place off the pitch which is a huge help.

Chopping and changing of managers aisn't good for the soul. You only have to see the most successful teams (Real Madrid aside) and how they have a settled management team all the time. As soon as you unsettle things (Chelsea for an example) wheels start coming off.

Sheridan hasn't been in the hot seat long enough to have messed it up. Sure he's made mistakes but not messed it up, so yep agreed he needs 4 to 5 seasons to get the club throughout they way he wants his football played. Fortunately for Shez he got a head start cos he coached the yoofs and stiffs his way prior to gettin the top seat.

Sheridan hasn't been in the hot seat long enough to have messed it up. Sure he's made mistakes but not messed it up, so yep agreed he needs 4 to 5 seasons to get the club throughout they way he wants his football played. Fortunately for Shez he got a head start cos he coached the yoofs and stiffs his way prior to gettin the top seat.

I think you have to add to the things in favour of Sheridan is that the fans most certainly are willing to give him time to succeed/fail. Something that other managers have lacked.

Of the ones in the list Wadsworth, Talbot and Moore were all given next to no chance. Alright they weren't exactly great appointments, but they were cut short largely due to fan pressure (solely in Ronnie's case).

I think you have to add to the things in favour of Sheridan is that the fans most certainly are willing to give him time to succeed/fail. Something that other managers have lacked.

Of the ones in the list Wadsworth, Talbot and Moore were all given next to no chance. Alright they weren't exactly great appointments, but they were cut short largely due to fan pressure (solely in Ronnie's case).

Talbot is the only one out of all those managers I would have sacked.

Final straw was bringing his own son in on trial. How can you trial your own son, surely you know if really he is good enough, deep down you just do!

Talbot and Wadsworth.

Some of the money wasted by Wadsworth was crazy. Smart, Reeves, Clegg etc :angry:

I think the problem lies more in making smart decisions, than having stability. Smart decisions will ultimately lead to stability, barring outside events.

Would Talbot have got us promoted, given enough time? Possibly, although promotion back to league one, rather than up out of it, was probably more likely!

1998-2001 Andy Ritchie

2001-2002 Mick Wadsworth

2002-2003 Iain Dowie

2004-2005 Brian Talbot

2005-2006 Ronnie Moore

2006-Pres John Sheridan

Totally agrre although I'm not sure I would even say Ritchie was given enough time. Before him there was also Warnock and Sharp who had relatively short tenures. So although we have been in this division for 11 years, every time a new managerial appointment was made, it became 'Day One'. Of these managers the only one which I have called for the head of was Sharp (Protests outside the Main Entrance, them were the days!), although admittedly I've had varying degrees of confidence in the others.

I personally think Shez needs to be given a minimum of 5 years in charge, whether or not we get promoted in this time. We've tried chopping and changing, as the above list shows, and all we have achieved is the distinction of being the longest serving team in this division.

Stability - let's give it a try. It's worked a couple of times in the past!

Crazy times <_<

Beharall, Reeves, Smart, all favours for players or former clubs who wanted players off their books.

nowt wrong with clegg,if people would of stayed off his back for being ex manure.

i agree ritchie wasnt given enough time,but he has hardly done anything special as a manager has he(cue abuse)

there is a fine line between giving enough time and giving too much time,shez is on the right track,and i think like has been said,if we dont go up this season next season we will,then consoladate then push on again.if things go shez's way there is no reason why he cant do what royle did,or better

Clegg was awful! made Rob Scott look like a good player, who did he play for when he left us Hyde United?

Ritchie was sacked too early that season, he'd got the team top of the league and then a few poor results saw him lose his job, Moore wanted his own man in and perhaps he was right to get new management in, new ideas coming into the team.

So long as Shez is doing a good job and is given backing by the fans I think he will be left to get on with it.

Guest oa_exile
i agree ritchie wasnt given enough time,but he has hardly done anything special as a manager has he(cue abuse)

Apart from getting Barnsley promoted to the Championship something that ALL our Managers in recent times have failed to do :(

Would Talbot have got us promoted, given enough time? Possibly, although promotion back to league one, rather than up out of it, was probably more likely!

We were going nowhere under Talbot except down. The football we played was atrocious. So bad, in fact, I'm sure I heard Eyresey apologise to the fans when he was taking a corner in a game at Torquay. And Talbot's reaction to the chanting against him on a freezing cold night at Bristol City (5-1, remember?) was diabolical.

I was pleased Mooreon went, cos I was sick of watching hoofball. Wadsworth was clueless, Warnock surprisingly ineffective (I thought he'd do well for us) but we could have done it (promotion) under Dowie IMO - thanks CM you s***house.

Shez has to be given several seasons and we have to show him patience. I do believe we can make the play-offs again, but it's not a disaster if we don't. It's all a building work in progress. If we're good enough to go up, we will. If we're not, we won't, but we keep on building for next season, and the one after, and the one after.

:ktf: :ktf: :ktf: :ktf: :ktf:

Out of interest (it was before my time) what was the reaction to royle being appointed and for his first few seasons?

The first few months I can distinctly recall him copping flak and being regarded with a lack of confidence by many fans. I think the main problem was that he had replaced Jimy Frizzell a manager who was admired by most and so Royle , unfairly, bore the brunt of that resentment.

Edited by LaticsPete

The first few months I can distinctly recall him copping flak and being regarded with a lack of confidence by many fans. I think the main problem was that he had replaced Jimy Frizzell a manager who was admired by most and so Royle , unfairly, bore the brunt of that resentment.

yeah he did get quite a bit of stick.

a lot of people couldnt understand why change frizzell,tried n tested manager for someone who was a very good player,but totally untried in management,however he soon turned it round and the rest as they say...is history.