• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the really good Latics fans come from Rochdale.

Totally agree with you on this one LL ..... but can't figure out how everyone thinks a Dale lass is singing about Latics!!!! Not handing over 'our Gracie' to the Oldhamers on any account.

Referees are far to pretected these days " the referee is kicked by three or four" back in the day :shock:

Totally agree with you on this one LL ..... but can't figure out how everyone thinks a Dale lass is singing about Latics!!!! Not handing over 'our Gracie' to the Oldhamers on any account.

Referees are far to pretected these days " the referee is kicked by three or four" back in the day :shock:

it's there loud and clear ! About 2mins 20 secs in there are a good few mentions (plus one early on too!)>

Being dead is no excuse for being a part timer!!!!!! Bill Waddington lived on Coverhill Road Grotton in the old Pig Farm been dead a while but tries his best to attend. Doubt he ever paid for a ticket.

Stapleton is ex Hulme and did go to a lot of Latics games in the past but recall him being a city fan on tv tends to mention Oldham in interviews.

Sykes did nothing as a director for the club don't even think he saw the team play? Was appointed in an Eric Morecombe sort of way but didn't work.

If Philip Schofield is mentioned its purely cos he was born in Oldham, so we can add Biggins to the list as well, Sarah Lancashire and Bernard Cribbins!!!!!

or even Dora Brian who went to Hathershaw school with my great grandad but strangely claims to be years younger and conveniently forgets shes from Oldham.

Le Val (stumpy as known in Lees by some) is a hanger on red but has been seen at BP. "Martin" whatsisface from Corrie i think is a city fan.

To be fair to Sally Anne Mathews can recall her attending regularly a while ago, and being vocal, not sure if she was going out with a player at the time?

Norman Kelly. Saw her at Blackburn

Think we've struggled with this.

Michell Marsh? From Oldham, yes. Followed us when her other half player for us. Really an Oldhan fan? Not seen or heard much about this link since Will left (e.g. club photos etc). Perhaps it was just another GF tagging along with her boyfriend. I could be wrong.

The bloke who played Gruey (sp?) in the 90s TV show used to have a season ticket near me in the Chaddy during the premier-years. Not seen him since.

Chris England - a journalist / writer. Used to write a column in FourFourTwo that regularly mentioned us, and I think he co-wrote An Evening With Gary Lineker.

Neither of these two would climbe above Z-list celebrity status, but most of this thread is in barrel scraping territory anyway.

For me one of our most famous fans is the man who came stratight from his work to attend the meeting of (not very many) fans in the RRE about the need for forming a Trust when the future of the club was in doubt. In spite of not having time to change from his work clothes, he apologised for his lateness and spoke passionately about not letting the Club die. That man was....

Andy Ritchie. :imnotworthy:

The bloke who played Gruey (sp?) in the 90s TV show used to have a season ticket near me in the Chaddy during the premier-years. Not seen him since.

Kieran (O'Brien) bump into him now and then in London and share a few beers with him!!! I memory serves me him and his brother went to Latics a few times (I know his brother did) but last talked to him about footy I got the impression he as turned to the dark side ... Manure

Kieran (O'Brien) bump into him now and then in London and share a few beers with him!!! I memory serves me him and his brother went to Latics a few times (I know his brother did) but last talked to him about footy I got the impression he as turned to the dark side ... Manure

No chance fellas.... 'Key', as we used to call him, grew up near me...he was a good 5 years older than me.....he lived just over the Royton border in Rochdale.

I remember he used to have loads of Liverpool shirts....Crown Paints, Candy and all that... I wasn't a Liverpool fan but was well jealous of his Liverpool football tops. He was never an Oldham fan back then, and this around 1990 when Oldham were on the up.

To be fair to Sally Anne Mathews can recall her attending regularly a while ago, and being vocal, not sure if she was going out with a player at the time?

Mike Cecere after she finished with Norman (Who?) Kelly.

Sarah Lancashires Dad was a Latics fan,when he left the Oldham Chronicle he later wrote the TV Series "The Cuckoo Waltz" which was about a Latics Reporter.

One episode was actually filmed in the main stand (at a reserve game I think) and the main character made several references to our flying winger Alan Groves.

And of course there is 'our Gracie'...allegedly!!!come on oldham

"Their football shirts are black and red"

Did we ever play in black and red (did Rochdale) or is it poetic licence.

This must be the 1st song about a football team.

Another 1st for Latics.

I'm surprised its not been mentioned before. Is it in the Museum?

PS A very catchy tune as well. I like it :)

In my home town , In my home town, Football.....

Edited by laticsrblue

Sarah Lancashires Dad was a Latics fan,when he left the Oldham Chronicle he later wrote the TV Series "The Cuckoo Waltz" which was about a Latics Reporter.

One episode was actually filmed in the main stand (at a reserve game I think) and the main character made several references to our flying winger Alan Groves.

I remember seeing that episode when I was young. In fact, I intended posting on here asking what the show was called, so you've saved me a job.

Does anyone have a copy? Amazon is a bit sparse on The Cuckoo Waltz, with one VHS video with only the first 3 episodes of series one on it. I'm making enquiries to find out which episode was filmed at Latics to see if I can get hold of a copy.

Mike Cecere after she finished with Norman (Who?) Kelly.

remeber this also showed some footage of a certain mister R BLAIR in action

No chance fellas.... 'Key', as we used to call him, grew up near me...he was a good 5 years older than me.....he lived just over the Royton border in Rochdale.

I remember he used to have loads of Liverpool shirts....Crown Paints, Candy and all that... I wasn't a Liverpool fan but was well jealous of his Liverpool football tops. He was never an Oldham fan back then, and this around 1990 when Oldham were on the up.

Oldham fan or not - he did have a ST for at least one season. But then again there were lots of people at BP those days that 'supported other clubs'.

Oldham fan or not - he did have a ST for at least one season. But then again there were lots of people at BP those days that 'supported other clubs'.

It woudn't suprise me at all if he did have an Oldham ST, but I know he was a Liverpool fan at the time - but most kids were Liverpool fans back then, weren't they !!!! With the occasional Forest fan here and there too !!! ....Forest never used to get beat....how things change.

Edited by Yard Dog

He was on our coach when we played liverpoo,first game back in the big league and he was a liverpoo supporter who lived in oldham

Temporary Bandwagon Merchant In Search of Media Attention during 'Pinch Me' season. Now, if only I could make that into a humourous acronym I'd be onto something... :grin:

TBMISA... TeBaMISA... Oh *** it!

He was queing up in front of me for s ticket for the Huddersfield cup game. Still comes to some games. Saw him in Lees a few years ago with a broken down tvr sports car.