Ernie Cooksey - Our thoughts are with you!

Just received a phone call this morning regarding Ernie, a player that for me is a Latics legend.

Ive been told that he has cancer. He had been battling it for some time and thought he'd beaten it but new tests have meant more chemo is needed.

He's making it public knowledge now and I'm told Grays Athletic have or will report on it today.

Just would like to end by saying I, as many will have, have met Ernie several times and hes the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet.

Keep your chin up Ernie!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God, that’s awful news. He’s a player that you could put alongside Pogs and Warney as one who was a 100% one of us. I remember him coming to watch us at Thurrock, standing on the touchline chatting to Bosh before the warm up. I know that he was very well thought of at Dale as well, although obviously it didn’t ultimately work out for him there. Fair play to him though, he took a big chance to go after the opportunity to be a pro footballer. If there is any sort of fundraiser at Grays I’ll definitely be over there for it. All the best Ernie.

Guest oa_exile

Thanks for posting that BB , very sad to hear of Ernie's illness.

A player who gave 100% for the Club.

Ernie's a proven fighter so let's hope that his latest treatment proves successful.

Guest oa_exile
He's making it public knowledge now and I'm told Grays Athletic have or will report on it today.

>>Grays Athletic OS<<

Ernie20Cooksey.jpg

Grays Athletic have been informed that Ernie Cooksey has been diagnosed with cancer, he has battled this in the past but has recently had a scan which showed the cancer had returned, the Chairman, Board and Staff of Grays Athletic wish Ernie all the very best and hope he has a speedy and full recovery, I am sure that the fans of the club will join us in giving Ernie our full support

I'm stunned by this news. Ernie was my favourite player during the survival season, didn't possess a huge amount of ability but he battled for everything all over the pitch! The two things of his which stick out in my mind are at Bristol City with his goal and performance that day and at Plymouth when Calvin Zola and the big Plymouth defender were battling to win the ball and Ernie lept out of nowhere and beat both of them despite being nigh on a foot shorter than both! His heading ability for someone so short was mind boggling!

I don't know him personally but one of my former school teachers used to teach him up in London and said that although he was never the brightest he would give everything for everything that he would do.

Best of luck Ernie, as said above, our thoughts are with you!

Keep The Faith

Awful, awful news this. Total thoughts are with Ernie and his family, I'm sure everyone associated with us, Rochdale and Boston think the same.

Never forget that towering header against QPR at home just after Egore did one to Palace. Really gave his all and such an honest player.

Come on son. Battle hard.

thoughts are with you ernie

time for an owtb ledgends shirt me thinks raise some cash for ern or cancer research or how about a blue and tangerine ribbon like for the aids awarness to do the same ?

a way for us the fans to show our support for ernie

time for an owtb ledgends shirt me thinks raise some cash for ern or cancer research or how about a blue and tangerine ribbon like for the aids awarness to do the same ?

I will certainly look into this, may I suggest the production of simple blue ribbons to sell with the money going to a cancer charity.