Eduardo

Remember a similair injury to Henrik Larson and he came back better than ever! No doubt one of you whizkids will find the pic i recall seeing in the papers at the time... Alan Smiths was pretty nasty too....

Football's worst injuries:

DAVID BUSST

The Coventry defender suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula in a collision with ManUre defender Denis Irwin during a match at Old Trafford in April 1996. The leg break was so bad that the bone pierced the skin and Busst's blood had to be cleared from the pitch. He never played professionally again. Peter Schmeichel, who witnessed the injury, required counselling afterwards.

LUC NILIS

The Belgian striker sustained a double fracture in his right leg as he raced towards goal while playing for Aston Villa against Ipswich in September 2000. He was forced to announce his retirement from the game the following January.

DJIBRIL CISSE

The Liverpool striker went down in agony under a challenge from Blackburn's James McEveley in a match in October 2004. His left leg crumpled under him, fracturing his tibia and fibula. The prognosis was that he would miss the rest of the season, but incredibly he battled back to fitness, making his return in the Champions League quarter-final against Juventus last April.

HENRIK LARSSON

The Celtic striker suffered a double fracture of his left leg 11 minutes into the Hoops' UEFA Cup clash with Lyon in October 1999. His manager at the time John Barnes insisted the injury looked worse than it was and revealed his displaced shinpad made it look as though his leg had been horribly broken. Larsson did indeed return to action and went on to become the club's record goalscorer with 242.

ALF INGE HAALAND

The Norwegian was taken out by a knee-high assault by Roy Keane in a Manc derby at Old Trafford in April 2001. He never completed another match for Manchester City and surgery never fully solved the problem with his knee, and he announced his retirement in July 2003. Keane later revealed in his autobiography that it was premeditated revenge after he suffered a season-ending injury while trying to foul Haaland, then at Leeds, in a match in September 1997. The dirty barsteward!!

STAN COLLYMORE

The controversial striker was at Leicester when he broke his leg in an all-east midlands clash with Derby in April 2000. Collymore required six minutes of on-field treatment, including an oxygen mask, before being taken to hospital.

ALAN SMITH

Smith was playing for ManUre in their FA Cup fifth round defeat at Liverpool when he broke his left leg and dislocated his ankle. Smith landed awkwardly as he blocked a John Arne Riise free-kick and was taken to hospital. He was out for seven months.

KIERON DYER

West Ham's Dyer suffered by far the most serious injury of his career when he broke his right leg in two places following a tackle from Bristol Rovers' Joe Jacobson just 10 minutes into August's Carling Cup second-round tie at the Memorial Stadium. He has not played since.

ALF INGE HAALAND

The Norwegian was taken out by a knee-high assault by Roy Keane in a Manc derby at Old Trafford in April 2001. He never completed another match for Manchester City and surgery never fully solved the problem with his knee, and he announced his retirement in July 2003. Keane later revealed in his autobiography that it was premeditated revenge after he suffered a season-ending injury while trying to foul Haaland, then at Leeds, in a match in September 1997. The dirty barsteward!!

As bad as Keene’s assault on Haaland was, it had nothing to do with his career ending injury, which he was carrying already and which was on the other knee to the one Keene kicked. I think Haaland had barely played for months in the run up to that match.

As bad as Keene’s assault on Haaland was, it had nothing to do with his career ending injury, which he was carrying already and which was on the other knee to the one Keene kicked. I think Haaland had barely played for months in the run up to that match.

In that knowledge perhaps I should view Keane in a completely different light, knowing that he carefully avoided the career-ending injured knee, when aiming his knee-high assault. Like Hell I will! :angry:

There's no doubt Keane had intent - he admitted as much in his book (the fool) - but leeslover's right, Keane's tackle had nothing to do with Haaland's career ending injury. Don't take my or leeslover's word for it though, Joe Royle said as much in his autobiography. (He was Citeh manager at the time).

There's no doubt Keane had intent - he admitted as much in his book (the fool) - but leeslover's right, Keane's tackle had nothing to do with Haaland's career ending injury. Don't take my or leeslover's word for it though, Joe Royle said as much in his autobiography. (He was Citeh manager at the time).

The intent was there - Keane must have been disappointed that he wasn't credited with ending Haaland's career. He probably thought better luck next time, but of course Haaland never completed another game.

The intent was there - Keane must have been disappointed that he wasn't credited with ending Haaland's career. He probably thought better luck next time, but of course Haaland never completed another game.

As I said, the intent was indeed there. And on the contrary, given he was widely credited with ending Haaland's career, I'm sure he was quite happy. But that's still no reason for blaming him for an injury he didn't cause.

Oddly enough, Haaland did start the very next game. But if I remember rightly he went off injured and never really recovered.

I still find it amusing that those who despise Keane (and I can see why many do) seem to have this idea that he's the only player who's ever set out to intentionally harm another.

I still find it amusing that those who despise Keane (and I can see why many do) seem to have this idea that he's the only player who's ever set out to intentionally harm another.

You said he was a fool to admit his intent. It doesn't matter if he's only one of a hundred, or even a thousand, players who've ever set out to harm another player intentionally. The point is there should be no place in football for such players.

You said he was a fool to admit his intent. It doesn't matter if he's only one of a hundred, or even a thousand, players who've ever set out to harm another player intentionally. The point is there should be no place in football for such players.

That's a nice ideal, but in reality I'm pretty certain there are players who set out on vendettas against other players all the time. Although it's certainly less prevalent in the tv footage soaked Premiership these days where every move by every player is on some camera somewhere.

I did say he was a fool, but I meant that more generally in relation to the book. He shouldn't have (ghost) written it when he did, and he certainly shouldn't have said alot of what he did. Most football hardmen tend to wait until long after retirement and they're doing the after dinner speech thing before they start boasting about assaulting other players.

(Which reminds me - going to a dinner on Thursday with Ron "Chopper" Harris speaking... :grin: )

no, there shouldnt be, but its a fact of life in pretty much any contact sport. watching saints bradford friday night, after sam burgess cleared a saints player out (forget who), it was like a benny hill sketch for the next ten minutes every time he got the ball, with about 4 or 5 saints players virtually fighting to drop him first, maybe even accidentally leading with a high arm. it goes on, its part of the territory defending of sport. not saying i condone it but its always been there, always will. look at the arsenal players at OT last week, like me with a 9 iron every time they got near Nani.