Loan Signings

Leaving aside the argument over whether to sign any player in particular, couldn't this self-defeating cycle continue all the way to oblivion? When even club owners are-allegedly-keen to see money spent on signings but the fans are afraid of any kind of financial risk, how can the club ever progress?

Presumably, if TTA want signings made, they, at least are keen to see us climb and the club's profile increased, realising that it is the only way to attract the missing fans whose absence will, ultimately, be the club's downfall.

But there's a difference between blowing it, simply because it is there, and waiting for the right player to come along.

Admittedly, there's a fine balance to be struck, and getting it right can be very tricky, but given our current position and recent troubles, I'd rather the club tended towards the more cautious view.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats easy an optimist looks forward at things that might change given a bit of luck and can be influenced in the future where a pessimist relies on past mistakes and experiences to justify an argument about how the future will develop knowing they cant change the past and can't see the future might improve.

Each to our own opinions.....

A pessimist does, however, recognise that the only luck is that which you make yourself.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

With so many teams with a "boom or bust" attitude currently in big touble this is the point I think most important!

Boom quite rightly leads to bust, whilst sitting on your hands obviously leads to bust as well through lower crowds, relegation or just downright fighting for survival year on year (See 94-01) What we need is a compromise, somewhere in between and with our dealings in the transfer window and the loan market in respect of a Centre-Forward being non-existent apart from the two that scarpered, that compromise is no-where in sight. The owners state the money is there, so who shoulders the blame? You blame the transfer system and yes that is a big part of it, but many clubs less stable than ourselves have wheeled and dealed impressively over the last few weeks, whilst we continue with our austere 1950s attitude of make do and mend and what happens eventually.......yer keep patching up yer pants but pretty soon the whole arse falls out of em!

Jeez Louise, chill out! On the day that this story breaks it is inevitable that cracks like that are going to come out. Perhaps you need one of these: tinfoil-hat.jpg This will provide guaranteed 100% protection from nasty things anyone says on the internet.

It is those who complain about 'moaners' (oblivious to the contradiction) who are the ones that don't seem to be able to contemplate bad news and other nastiness.

After all, it isn't me who constantly goes around complaining about what other posters are saying. (As opposed to arguing with the content.)

Boom quite rightly leads to bust, whilst sitting on your hands obviously leads to bust as well through lower crowds, relegation or just downright fighting for survival year on year (See 94-01) What we need is a compromise, somewhere in between and with our dealings in the transfer window and the loan market in respect of a Centre-Forward being non-existent apart from the two that scarpered, that compromise is no-where in sight. The owners state the money is there, so who shoulders the blame? You blame the transfer system and yes that is a big part of it, but many clubs less stable than ourselves have wheeled and dealed impressively over the last few weeks, whilst we continue with our austere 1950s attitude of make do and mend and what happens eventually.......yer keep patching up yer pants but pretty soon the whole arse falls out of em!

Admittedly clubs like ours are caught in a vicious circle nowadays-but complete acceptance of that vicious circle means that you never break it.

If such a mentality continues to prevail, even if the stadium redevelopment works like the dream some people like to project it as, further excuses will be found to keep us 'realistically' mediocre.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

If such a mentality continues to prevail, even if the stadium redevelopment works like the dream some people like to project it as, further excuses will be found to keep us 'realistically' mediocre.

Yes, damn those people behind the scenes who rub their hands with glee at our continual mediocrity. They must have shat themselves when we went top after winning at Swansea last season.

Yes, damn those people behind the scenes who rub their hands with glee at our continual mediocrity. They must have shat themselves when we went top after winning at Swansea last season.

I'm not sure it is 'the people behind the scenes' (or at least TTA) who have the small-time mentailty, but 'the lambs of Sheepfoot Lane.' As I'm sure they will, like an illustrious predecessor, have no hesitation in letting us know should they finally give up the ghost.

It is those who complain about 'moaners' (oblivious to the contradiction) who are the ones that don't seem to be able to contemplate bad news and other nastiness.

Or we just shrug our shoulders and get on with our own little lives?

Ferchrissakes man, you were most likely born in Oldham, perhaps still live there, but most definitely support Latics as we all do. Just accept life dealt us a crappy hand and get on with it. So we aren't going to ge promoted, so we may lose tonight, so we could still get relegated and go bust.

Tonight there will be about 3-400 people going to sit in the cold, possibly the rain as well and watch about 30 men kick a bag of wind about for 90+ minutes, some of these are going to have travelled from Swindon to have the pleasure of doing this- we must be crackers! Grown men are going to puff their chests our and sing, yes sing, grown men, in public as well.

About 1500 of these people will sit there, maybe have a sing, maybe not, watch the game then go home, their wife will ask how they got on - "We won" "we lost" "we drew "That ref was a shocker" "ooh, we scored an absolute cracker" they will say then "how was your day love?" and move on.

Next season we might get promoted or next season is the season when we get relegated who knows but I know that all being well I will be there to see it.

Next season we might get promoted or next season is the season when we get relegated who knows but I know that all being well I will be there to see it.

Word.

For me Latics is all about the social aspect first, and what's on the pitch second.

Ferchrissakes man, you were most likely born in Oldham, perhaps still live there, but most definitely support Latics as we all do. Just accept life dealt us a crappy hand and get on with it. So we aren't going to ge promoted, so we may lose tonight, so we could still get relegated and go bust.

Tonight there will be about 3-400 people going to sit in the cold, possibly the rain as well and watch about 30 men kick a bag of wind about for 90+ minutes, some of these are going to have travelled from Swindon to have the pleasure of doing this- we must be crackers! Grown men are going to puff their chests our and sing, yes sing, grown men, in public as well.

About 1500 of these people will sit there, maybe have a sing, maybe not, watch the game then go home, their wife will ask how they got on - "We won" "we lost" "we drew "That ref was a shocker" "ooh, we scored an absolute cracker" they will say then "how was your day love?" and move on.

I presume the point of this tale is that not one single wife will be more than twenty seconds from 'the vacant look'?

And in the meantime we come on here to talk about the predicament the club finds itself in (or not, depending on your viewpoint.) What's the problem?

So its the fans fault again?

No-it's just that, with Latics' decline coming at precisely the wrong time, when the further you fall, the less financial clout you are able to muster, the scale of the mountain this club has to climb seems, for many, too daunting to contemplate. Many fans seem, therefore, to have accepted the club's apparent fate and no longer want to look at the club as a serious competitor even in this division, with footballing giants like Doncaster and Carlisle to compete with.

Yep - as you will remember from that old thread, it's the acceptance of mediocrity by the happy clapper fans like us that mean the Club is doomed.

The Corp is fishing again and proving more wriggly than the worms on his hook.

Once again, we have the suggestion that the only valid opinion is an optimistic one.

I've told you, we need to sign up that Rooney fella. He's the future of English football don't you know?

Are you nine?

Edited by Ackey

Once again, we have the suggestion that the only valid opinion is an optimistic one.

Absolutely not Corp.

But then again, you do tend to twist people's words to suit your purpose as has been proven ad infinitum. When do I get accused of hating the Oldham public again? I'll pop back for a read when you post that little nugget.

From what I have heard the owners have suggested several targets and been willing to stump up the cash. Shez has dithered and they've either gone elsewhere or Sheridan has deemed them not to be what he is looking for. Patience is wearing thin in the corridors of power at BP. The money is there, not sure the manager knows how to spend it.

Seems to me that he's done alright with our money in the scheme of things. For every Ricketts (was he Shez's man or TTA's?) there's a Davies. For every Thompson there's a Gregan. Even Crossley has managed to prove his worth to most fans.

This 'patience is wearing thin in the corridors of power at BP' nonsense is unproven rumour until substantiated. Shez's comments about not signing players that he doesn't feel are right for the club possibly costing him is job is based on the known fact that the TTA would like to see us in the Championship sometime soon and maybe, just maybe said players could have come to the club and done a great job. He's speculating and I'd rather he speculated like that than risk throwing our budget away on a player who can't wait to snuggle up under his 2-year deal, maybe never to be seen again.

In the meantime, while there's money on the table, Shez's job is safe. It's when the purse strings are pulled tight that he should be looking in the job ads.