What Does The Run-In Hold?

I have read many negative posts today from all the usual suspects. Most revolve around why we have failed to reach the play offs and the subsequent highlighting of our managers weaknesses and mistakes. Not to mention the odd general complaint of our clubs lack of ambition and resources which are both so absurd I can't be bothered to comment any further on. Im going to stick to on the field issues.

So, the play offs ARE still on. Have we, or have we not, collected 2 points per game since Shez highlighted the need to? Have we, or have we not, now got a golden opportunity to collect 2.5+ points per game over the next 5 fixtures? Have we, or have we not, got a relatively easy run-in? Granted we have short term striking difficulties but I believe a loanee will come in this week. Also Hughesy hopefully back next week and with Alles and Deano we will manage without Davies, possibly even improve IMO! The captain Gregan also to return soon which will be a big boost. Some have slated him TODAY despite him not appearing for MONTHS. Well, you people are entitled to your opinion but your opinion is wrong. Same goes for Lids although he is a while away yet so this is less relevant unforunately.

Fact is although performances arent great neither are other teams and the table clearly shows the team as low as 12th, us, still has a chance given their games in hand. Especially when you again consider our run-in and the players I have mentioned to return.

Having said this I am not sure we will make the play offs although I am hopeful becasue we certainly CAN! It is not yet time for disecting why we failed - FFS there is still more than a QUARTER of the season remaining! Should we make them then great, but if not we will do next season - especially with the money hopefully available to Shez this summer.

So for the time being 'Keep the Faith', support the lads, and try and enjoy this expensive hobby/way of life we all choose to partake in which is Latics......

:OWTB1:

:comeon:

:ktf:

I'm a happy clapper apparently, so I'll shout up. I think the remainder of the season will give us more of the consistently inconsistent performances we've seen over the last few weeks. We'll finish 9th, doing fine at home but picking up very little on our travels. Our home form will keep us well clear of any danger, our away form will probably scupper hopes of a late charge towards the play-offs.

We could well struggle over the next week or so (let's be honest - irrespective of form, we'd lose at Port Vale if they put out their under-15 side), but hopefully we can look forward to a late season cameo from Hughes, Liddell and Gregan to give us a boost back into the top ten.

I'm a happy clapper apparently, so I'll shout up. I think the remainder of the season will give us more of the consistently inconsistent performances we've seen over the last few weeks. We'll finish 9th, doing fine at home but picking up very little on our travels. Our home form will keep us well clear of any danger, our away form will probably scupper hopes of a late charge towards the play-offs.

We could well struggle over the next week or so (let's be honest - irrespective of form, we'd lose at Port Vale if they put out their under-15 side), but hopefully we can look forward to a late season cameo from Hughes, Liddell and Gregan to give us a boost back into the top ten.

So basically it's the form of nearly a decade ago at maybe three times the cost.

I love that sense of progress, me.

:angry:

I have read many negative posts today from all the usual suspects. Most revolve around why we have failed to reach the play offs and the subsequent highlighting of our managers weaknesses and mistakes. Not to mention the odd general complaint of our clubs lack of ambition and resources which are both so absurd I can't be bothered to comment any further on. Im going to stick to on the field issues.

So, the play offs ARE still on. Have we, or have we not, collected 2 points per game since Shez highlighted the need to? Have we, or have we not, now got a golden opportunity to collect 2.5+ points per game over the next 5 fixtures? Have we, or have we not, got a relatively easy run-in? Granted we have short term striking difficulties but I believe a loanee will come in this week. Also Hughesy hopefully back next week and with Alles and Deano we will manage without Davies, possibly even improve IMO! The captain Gregan also to return soon which will be a big boost. Some have slated him TODAY despite him not appearing for MONTHS. Well, you people are entitled to your opinion but your opinion is wrong. Same goes for Lids although he is a while away yet so this is less relevant unforunately.

Fact is although performances arent great neither are other teams and the table clearly shows the team as low as 12th, us, still has a chance given their games in hand. Especially when you again consider our run-in and the players I have mentioned to return.

Having said this I am not sure we will make the play offs although I am hopeful becasue we certainly CAN! It is not yet time for disecting why we failed - FFS there is still more than a QUARTER of the season remaining! Should we make them then great, but if not we will do next season - especially with the money hopefully available to Shez this summer.

So for the time being 'Keep the Faith', support the lads, and try and enjoy this expensive hobby/way of life we all choose to partake in which is Latics......

:OWTB1:

:comeon:

:ktf:

Criticising the regime is not allowed, non-believers will be punished. FFS I live i down town Chadderton not Pyongyang, Beijing or Havana. As for what does the run-in hold I'll predict now...........disappointment. Then back to the drawing board and the same old failures and shortcomings will be highlighted this time next season. See you next season, same time, around the same league place.

I guarantee in 6 or 7 games time the :applause1: will be :angry: Been supporting these :clown: for 22 years and if I want a :rant.sml: or offer an opinion different to the majority then tough :censored: I'll offer it. As for your two points a game point the last 10 games have yielded 15 points, 4 wins 3 draws 3 defeats 1.5 points a game. Thats about right as I reckon we'll finish on between 60-64 points. Way off the pace. Whilst top ten will be a decent achievement, you can't help but think an opportunity to build on the unexpected success of last season has been lost and in the summer like it or lump it we'll be back at square one.

So basically it's the form of nearly a decade ago at maybe three times the cost.

It's the form of nearly a decade ago at probably very close to the same cost. Certainly not "three times".

My post above was a prediction. That doesn't necessarily mean it encompasses all my hopes and ambitions.

Edited by garcon

Under 15's??? thats nowt my wife's netball team made up of players aged between 20-35, lost to a team of under 13's the other night! :laught30::laught30: Perhaps they were Port Vale's Netball Under 13's?

I reckon we'll win at Port Vale to add to the other outstanding memories from this season, and have a few more things to smile about on our great roller-coaster ride.

P.S. If you don't get the happy clapping right first time, keep trying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8hVDrHFzkU

Sod it i'm going to become a happy clapper then perhaps if we all sing very loudly we'll win at Port Vale, achieve auto, win Euro 2008, The Grand National, Wimbledon and the Ryder Cup 'cos its the fans that are crap and the fans that made the wrong team selections or the fans that have failed to hit the net in 13 games out of 32. Said it at the time would've swapped Everton for three points. Look at the good it did us.....made a few thousand part-timers feel pleased with themselves. So pleased in fact that most of them came back in the fourth round only to see another bullet in the foot performance in front of a decent home turn out.

Look at the Scousers, their support is awesome, Newcastle etc... how well have they done in the league in the last twenty years? Players win points not the crowd. Old Trafford is like a morgue, hampered them hasn't it?

Please consider that our 3 senior pros who have been out almost all season probably command the same wage between them that the Brighton match day 16 do!

Also, we have progressed over the last 20 games compared to the 20 before those, and will continue to do so im sure.

Wish we had kept Wellens :disappointed:

Sod it i'm going to become a happy clapper then perhaps if we all sing very loudly we'll win at Port Vale, achieve auto, win Euro 2008, The Grand National, Wimbledon and the Ryder Cup 'cos its the fans that are crap and the fans that made the wrong team selections or the fans that have failed to hit the net in 13 games out of 32. Said it at the time would've swapped Everton for three points. Look at the good it did us.....made a few thousand part-timers feel pleased with themselves. So pleased in fact that most of them came back in the fourth round only to see another bullet in the foot performance in front of a decent home turn out.

Look at the Scousers, their support is awesome, Newcastle etc... how well have they done in the league in the last twenty years? Players win points not the crowd. Old Trafford is like a morgue, hampered them hasn't it?

What are you on about? Wrong thread I think.....

Please consider that our 3 senior pros who have been out almost all season probably command the same wage between them that the Brighton match day 16 do!

Also, we have progressed over the last 20 games compared to the 20 before those, and will continue to do so im sure.

Wish we had kept Wellens :disappointed:

The same people quoting Lidds and Greegs as demi-gods, coming over the horizon as saviours of our season of under-achievement are the same guys that say , Lidds legs have gone (this I actually agree with) or he's crap, useless the spawn of Satan's lazy half-brother or that Gregan is a useless bully with the turning circle of the QE2. Neither will be properly match-fit before the end of the season, so imho neither will have the instant impact that many think.

The same people quoting Lidds and Greegs as demi-gods, coming over the horizon as saviours of our season of under-achievement are the same guys that say , Lidds legs have gone (this I actually agree with) or he's crap, useless the spawn of Satan's lazy half-brother or that Gregan is a useless bully with the turning circle of the QE2. Neither will be properly match-fit before the end of the season, so imho neither will have the instant impact that many think.

What are you on about? Wrong thread I think.....??

I was refering to them in this post only with regard to the seasons performances being sub standard considering the wage bill, as pointed out by Corporal Jones.

For what it is worth although I dont consider them demi-gods I will/would consider them a welcome boost to the squad, actually, team. Im sure Shez and the other players will/would do too. Last season Greegs was awsome at times and Lidds ran away with the assists 'golden boot'. An assist is as valuable as a goal.

I mentioned them playing an end of season cameo. Prozac's right that they won't necessarily have an 'immediate impact', but I think their experience could well be a welcome bonus to the squad and (hopefully alongside a little flurry of goals from Mr Hughes) will help us consolidate a deent top half finish ... and help us end the season with confidence high. You never know, that might even persuade one or two to stay around for a better promotion push next season.

Sod it i'm going to become a happy clapper then perhaps if we all sing very loudly we'll win at Port Vale, achieve auto, win Euro 2008, The Grand National, Wimbledon and the Ryder Cup 'cos its the fans that are crap and the fans that made the wrong team selections or the fans that have failed to hit the net in 13 games out of 32.

"Had they been that good, they'd not only have won the European Cup but the Ryder Cup, the Boat Race and even the Grand National!"

Jock Stein vs Bill Shankley.

Prozac knows his footy. :D

I think we have to be realistic and say that with such a paper thin squad and poor luck with injuries we're unlikely to make the playoffs this time around. What we have gained from this season is alot of talented young players steping up into the first team and doing well, which is a credit to the club's youth academy. I think if we can keep our squad together and add 4 or 5 experienced and quality players, to add to what we have already, we'll be very strong contenders for promotion next season.

The TTA need to be brave and really back us in the transfer market this summer.

Said it at the time would've swapped Everton for three points. Look at the good it did us.....made a few thousand part-timers feel pleased with themselves. So pleased in fact that most of them came back in the fourth round only to see another bullet in the foot performance in front of a decent home turn out.

Everything was rosy going into the Brighton game - we had a week of optimism, which I felt was admirable but possibly misplaced. Now apparently everything's gone pear-shaped, and we're led to believe the season is over. It would be awful if the lads kept alive the hopes of those part-timers, to whom prozac refers, well into April and led them to believe they might be having a day out at Wembley. It's best that they know now to avoid disappointment later.

In the meantime if anyone feels like continuing to get behind the lads and doesn't mind being called a 'happy clapper', then it will be greatly appreciated. :ktf:

I mentioned them playing an end of season cameo. Prozac's right that they won't necessarily have an 'immediate impact', but I think their experience could well be a welcome bonus to the squad and (hopefully alongside a little flurry of goals from Mr Hughes) will help us consolidate a deent top half finish ... and help us end the season with confidence high. You never know, that might even persuade one or two to stay around for a better promotion push next season.

Will next season's promotion push be a promotion push or 'a promotion push?'

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Not necessarily successful-just convincing.

I think it will be alot more convincing than this years effort we will keep our best players this time round and if we add a few more quality additions we will be right up there. This is whats keeping me going to BP every week because I can see the pieces in the jigsaw coming together all be it abit slowly.

Can I just ask what does keep you going to BP because your posts are very despondent and somewhat disillusioned their must be something that keeps you interested in Latics, for me while things haven't been great this season although they have been worse their is hope for the future, next season I believe will be better.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Can I just ask what does keep you going to BP because your posts are very despondent and somewhat disillusioned their must be something that keeps you interested in Latics, for me while things haven't been great this season although they have been worse their is hope for the future, next season I believe will be better.

Pretty much existing on the habit of three decades and sheer blind loyalty these days. I stopped 'believing' after the fiasco of 2004-5, only for enthusiasm to be rekindled for three or four months last season. But after the pathetic collapse of our best chance to reverse the decline of the last decade and a half, I simply can't feel the same as I used to (even in the darkest days of the late 1990s/early 2000s) no matter how I try. Despite all the talk of the stadium (which is all it is at present: talk), I feel no sense of genuine belief that we can grow as a club emanating from within it, while, if internet boards like this one are anything to go by, most of the diehards have accepted our decline into a bottom-third-of-the-third-tier club and want nothing better.

Pretty much existing on the habit of three decades and sheer blind loyalty these days. I stopped 'believing' after the fiasco of 2004-5, only for enthusiasm to be rekindled for three or four months last season. But after the pathetic collapse of our best chance to reverse the decline of the last decade and a half, I simply can't feel the same as I used to (even in the darkest days of the late 1990s/early 2000s) no matter how I try. Despite all the talk of the stadium (which is all it is at present: talk), I feel no sense of genuine belief that we can grow as a club emanating from within it, while, if internet boards like this one are anything to go by, most of the diehards have accepted our decline into a bottom-third-of-the-third-tier club and want nothing better.

I know how that feels, though the odd jolly up tempers the gloom I find. Having said that, I can't remember the last time I did one - probably Clyde away pre-season.

KtF,

Derek.

Despite all the talk of the stadium (which is all it is at present: talk)

What do you want? One of those massive cards which you open and a stadium pops up?

For everyone bleating about lack of movement on the stadium, it's worth pointing out that there has to be a period of time for any appeals to be made (3 months I think the time is) so no work can be carried out on it until that time has passed. In any case, I suspect logistically it's better the stand comes down in the summer.

I think the communication from the club can be better on this, which is my gripe.