Time to Go John

Shez shouldn't be going anywhere. The season has flattered to deceive, and there have been failings this season from Shez, and even from the optimist base I come from I see them. The point being that if we reach this point next season with the club even lower then Shez will be fairly judged on his performance and (if that scenario is the case) he will have come up short.

Despite various talk of transfers, ins/outs etc I do think that any team at our level would struggle having a 25 man squad - 8 of which have suffered serious injuries this season, and a further 8 of which are youth products under the age of 20 - the plan at the start of the season being to use them as back-up (not try to gain promotion with them as auto-starters!).

For me a huge positive this season is the fact that the playoffs are still in sight (ok through binoculars now) in spite of having to rely so heavily on our back-up players - that's a great indication of the potential those players have.

Think back to summer/early season based on the signings etc... (irrespective of subsequent form) 1st starters would've been Crossley, Gregan, Hughes, Ricketts, Liddell, Thompson, Kilkenny, Bertrand, Davies - how many of them have played a major part in the team over the past month/two??

Shez has some decisions to make in terms of how he really believes the team should play/be set up and it would be interesting to see what would happen if everyone was suddenly available at once. For me 4-4-2 is fine for this division, but he needs to decide if he wants the main thrust of the team coming from the middle of the park (ie creative cm) or stick with 2 ball-playing cm's and add to the wide attacking options. He will have learned a hell of a lot about just about every squad member this season because they've all had to play. That can only bode well for next season as long as he uses the next month or so to really decide what he wants for next season and begins to work on making sure he retains the people he knows will fit that next season. Personally I hope that means there is no massive change, just additions in key areas (and the usual player-driven exits).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shez shouldn't be going anywhere. The season has flattered to deceive, and there have been failings this season from Shez, and even from the optimist base I come from I see them. The point being that if we reach this point next season with the club even lower then Shez will be fairly judged on his performance and (if that scenario is the case) he will have come up short.

Despite various talk of transfers, ins/outs etc I do think that any team at our level would struggle having a 25 man squad - 8 of which have suffered serious injuries this season, and a further 8 of which are youth products under the age of 20 - the plan at the start of the season being to use them as back-up (not try to gain promotion with them as auto-starters!).

For me a huge positive this season is the fact that the playoffs are still in sight (ok through binoculars now) in spite of having to rely so heavily on our back-up players - that's a great indication of the potential those players have.

Think back to summer/early season based on the signings etc... (irrespective of subsequent form) 1st starters would've been Crossley, Gregan, Hughes, Ricketts, Liddell, Thompson, Kilkenny, Bertrand, Davies - how many of them have played a major part in the team over the past month/two??

Shez has some decisions to make in terms of how he really believes the team should play/be set up and it would be interesting to see what would happen if everyone was suddenly available at once. For me 4-4-2 is fine for this division, but he needs to decide if he wants the main thrust of the team coming from the middle of the park (ie creative cm) or stick with 2 ball-playing cm's and add to the wide attacking options. He will have learned a hell of a lot about just about every squad member this season because they've all had to play. That can only bode well for next season as long as he uses the next month or so to really decide what he wants for next season and begins to work on making sure he retains the people he knows will fit that next season. Personally I hope that means there is no massive change, just additions in key areas (and the usual player-driven exits).

Shez has no need to go - he could do with explaining some of his decisions though, cos I find him baffling at times. Like others, I believe he has a long term plan and should be given time to implement it, but improvements need to be seen to be being made, and at the moment it doesn't look that way.

At the January transfer window NEXT SEASON, we will have had a much fairer length of time to assess him, and then we can decide if we're going anywhere with him. The only problem with that though, is people DO vote with their feet and may need to see some changes by the end of the season to persuade them to renew ST's.

Changing the manager is not the way to go IMO but there are a hell of al lot of things that Shez needs to address if we are to get out of this Division and with the investment that he has been given, we should be doing an awful lot better this Season.

He has some great points.

• Likes to play decent football
  • Can spot a good player
  • Prepared to give Youth a chance.
erm, I'm struggling now.

Now for the not so good.

• Likes to play decent football but resorts to hoofball when it doesn't work (and IMO does so quicker than the much despised Ronniesaurus).
  • Can spot a good player but can also sign some rank bad ones.
  • Prepared to give Youth a chance but then maybe not in the case of Lomax.
  • Criticizes too much from the sidelines which IMO usually involves stating the bleeding obvious and only serves to distract/ piss off the players.
  • Poor use of substitiutions
  • Playing certain players out of position
  • "Strange" view of the transfer/ loans market
  • Over-familiarity between the playing staff and Coaching Team.
  • Relaxed policy regarding drinking
  • Training methods (and I have heard certain things from a former player regarding aspects that are not covered in sufficient detail)
  • Seeming lack of an ongoing plan from Season to Season.
I'll reiterate again that I want Shez to stay and hope that he does. He has got a hell of a lot to learn though (the list above is not insurmountable and of course is just my opinion) but I have a worrying feeling that he will still be saying "I'm inexperienced and have got a lot to learn" when he's managing Stockport in 5 years time.

My main beef is "respect". Yes he was a superb player and everyone respects him for that but he's not a player now. Also, I don't buy into this "lost the dressing room" malarkey. The fact is though that there is massive over-familiarity within the Club and as manager, it is his responsibility to be well above that and show clearly who is boss. The arguments on the pitch with players and the "Shez this, Shez that" comments that are frequently heard show there is not the necessary divide to me.

Add in a seeming inability to bring in quality players on loan (the jury is still well out for me with regard to Jarrett and Livermore) and we have a big issue.

Now if he were guaranteed 3 further years, then I believe we could have a superb team made up largely of home-grown players come 2010-2011. Alessandra is different class and there are clearly many other top youngsters already in the team or about to break through in the next year or so. He doesn't have that luxury though and his comments the other day almost seemed to be talking himself into the sack.

Money is available and yet he isn't prepared to spend. He perhaps needs to have a word with his mate Andy Ritchie about what happened to him at Barnsley in a similar situation.

He has some great points.
  • Likes to play decent football - agree
  • Can spot a good player - agree
  • Prepared to give Youth a chance. - agree
erm, I'm struggling now.

Now for the not so good.

• Likes to play decent football but resorts to hoofball when it doesn't work (and IMO does so quicker than the much despised Ronniesaurus). - Isnt this more about the players than the manager?
  • Can spot a good player but can also sign some rank bad ones. - hmmm...this is just part and parcel...ferguison down at the scum has signed alot of baduns over the years
  • Prepared to give Youth a chance but then maybe not in the case of Lomax. - I agree with people asking why Lomax hasnt featured
  • Criticizes too much from the sidelines which IMO usually involves stating the bleeding obvious and only serves to distract/ piss off the players. - dont sit near sidelines so dont know
  • Poor use of substitiutions - some times yea would have to agree
  • Playing certain players out of position - agreed
  • "Strange" view of the transfer/ loans market - disagree
  • Over-familiarity between the playing staff and Coaching Team. - was always going to be a factor appointing shez and something i pointed out back when we was talking about up rooting ronnie
  • Relaxed policy regarding drinking - If relaxed means allowing players to have a drink after the game then I dont see this as an issue....
  • Training methods (and I have heard certain things from a former player regarding aspects that are not covered in sufficient detail) - hard to assess as i dont watch traiing
  • Seeming lack of an ongoing plan from Season to Season. - I dont think this is fair... He has only had one close season where we was fighting to keep key players, would be fair to wait till this summer for this....

Good post but wanted to respond with my feelings on the issues you raised.

Edited by oafc0000

Come on John you are making Ronnie look like a good 'un. Take Tommy with you when you go.

You've dithered in the transfer window, ignored advice about Taylor's left foot, cancelled contracts left right and centre with no replacements and embarrassed us again tonight with a team of kids.

You signed a striker and put him on the bench, made Eardley captain again (how is this fella an International?)and now the fans are deserting in droves.

Assuming Stam misses the next game who's playing in defence?

You have been promised money for new players but seem incapable of committing anything to add to the playing squad.

What happened to the changes you promised? Did you give Lomax a contract in order to sell him.

McDonald isnt a right winger, why do you persist in playing all and sundry there instead of Chris Taylor?

We have no decent reserve goalkeeper and no physios.

Soon be time to renew our season tickets again. This season is dead and buried.

The biggest :censored:ing pile of dribble ive read on here for long time. Yes everyones entitled to an opinion but :censored: me.