Attendance Improvement Ideas

Very worrying, over at Bradford thier Chairman has a bums on seats campaign going, and he slashed ticket prices to£138 this year, next year hes rising them to £150, but if they brake 9000 (which is what they have now) Then a free ticket will be sent out to them to give to someone else. Before they did this thier attendances were pretty poor aswell but theyve shown that people will come to watch if the price is right, im not suggesting that we slash the prices to that price but i think some kind of idea like this to get some people through the gates might be a good idea. Even if we only did it for a season or two, and try to win back some of our missing fans. Thoughts?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very worrying, over at Bradford thier Chairman has a bums on seats campaign going, and he slashed ticket prices to£138 this year, next year hes rising them to £150, but if they brake 9000 (which is what they have now) Then a free ticket will be sent out to them to give to someone else. Before they did this thier attendances were pretty poor aswell but theyve shown that people will come to watch if the price is right, im not suggesting that we slash the prices to that price but i think some kind of idea like this to get some people through the gates might be a good idea. Even if we only did it for a season or two, and try to win back some of our missing fans. Thoughts?

Unless you can get the ticket price down to like £10/£12 I dont think the price of a ticket would start making a difference. To be frank, I dont need to worry about money so I dont mind paying £20, but my friends and family who earn alot less money can afford it no matter if its £20 or £15. Get my drift ?

Only way to rise attendances is to get promoted I feel.....

They mentioned this on scoccer night(yorkshire) last night, Mike Parry was on and he thought it was a great idea but does it bring in the revenue to sustain the clubs future, very difficult to equate.

He said the lower leagues have to be regionalised which is something I have said for years, difficult to work in promotion and relegation but there is a way. How many Stockport, Bury or Rochdale would of been at Bp last night, a damn site more than 150, plus it creates more interest for the home fans.

Edited by 0afc68

They mentioned this on scoccer night(yorkshire) last night, Alan Parry was on and he thought it was a great idea but does it bring in the revenue to sustain the clubs future, very difficult to equate.

He said the lower leagues have to be regionalised which is something I have said for years, difficult to work in promotion and relegation but there is a way. How many Stockport, Bury or Rochdale would of been at Bp last night, a damn site more than 150, plus it creates more interest for the home fans.

Now im not convinced about this....

They tried this years ago and it didnt really work....

They also tried this in the LDV and it hasnt made a difference....

God I sound really negative....sorry dont mean to be :P

Edited by oafc0000

For a game like last night why not reduce the ticket price to £10/£15 and make it free for kids, also both boxes looked pretty empty so why not make it £30 to go in there and get a potato pie supper and cash bar. I will pay whatever for a season ticket because I am a moron but I think a sub £200 season ticket would increase season ticket sales significantly and also prevent people from not renewing next year because a couple of my friends who I thought would have season tickets forever have stopped coming this year.

Nobody cares about the LDV anyway, why do we travel to the east coast every other week when there are a number of clubs locally, Ive not decided about going to vale on sat, if we were at Bury I would be there, others must feel the same.

We take a lot of support locally and the long trips have seen the following dwindle this year. I cannot warrant travelling to Bristol Rovers on a Tuesday night after working to see whats on offer.

Nobody cares about the LDV anyway, why do we travel to the east coast every other week when there are a number of clubs locally, Ive not decided about going to vale on sat, if we were at Bury I would be there, others must feel the same.

We take a lot of support locally and the long trips have seen the following dwindle this year. I cannot warrant travelling to Bristol Rovers on a Tuesday night after working to see whats on offer.

Nobody cares about league one.....

Heres an idea to boost attendance - Win more games and stop making meaningless threats. Maybe people might be interested in attending if they know theyre going to get a full 90 minutes of half decent footbal, instead of little glimpses.

We've already seen that schemes to get people through the turnstiles don't work when the product on the pitch isn't very good, and when it is widely perceived across the town that the club is going nowhere.

How about a ticket aimed at the people who pick and choose thier matches? We need to accept that a lot of people pick and choose for various reasons, so why not offer a ticket book that gets you in to say... 10 league matches? The book would have to have blank tickets in so that they didnt clash with the regular season ticket match numbers, but otherwise they could be very similar, and if we sold them for about £160 quid, thats a decent saving of £40. The club could do them on the understanding that there will be no reserved seating for them, but they would get priority over none ticket holders for tickets for big cup games etc. Then maybe if they used up all 10 stubs and wanted to carry on coming, they could get a reduced price on match tickets if they produce thier ticket book, something like £18? I think this would work for atleast 2 of my friends, as they dont like commiting to 26 games as they have other things going on so they simply dont buy one. What does everyone think? Could you see it working?

Guest sheridans_world
How about a ticket aimed at the people who pick and choose thier matches? We need to accept that a lot of people pick and choose for various reasons, so why not offer a ticket book that gets you in to say... 10 league matches? The book would have to have blank tickets in so that they didnt clash with the regular season ticket match numbers, but otherwise they could be very similar, and if we sold them for about £160 quid, thats a decent saving of £40. The club could do them on the understanding that there will be no reserved seating for them, but they would get priority over none ticket holders for tickets for big cup games etc. Then maybe if they used up all 10 stubs and wanted to carry on coming, they could get a reduced price on match tickets if they produce thier ticket book, something like £18? I think this would work for atleast 2 of my friends, as they dont like commiting to 26 games as they have other things going on so they simply dont buy one. What does everyone think? Could you see it working?

Easier to steal...

Now joining a membership scheme could be an idea - you pay for the membership at the start of the season (for arguements sake 10 games), then ring the ticket office everytime you want a ticket and they post one to you.

You wouldnt be able to reserve a seat though...

Other clubs do this. Hardy reckons its unworkable, like the scoreboard and other lapsed initiatives depriving the club of income!

Edited by oafcprozac

Other clubs do this. Hardy reckons its unworkable, like the scoreboard and other lapsed initiatives depriving the club of income!

I spoke to Alan Hardy about the Scoreboard the other day. Trust me, this guy knows the financial effect of everything whether it is pies; programmes, pencils or scorebard revenue against cost.

It is simply not cost effective at the moment and if it were, we'd have had a new one ages ago.

If you have a view on something like the Membership scheme, get in touch with him and I'll guarantee that if it makes money for the Club, then he will go for it. If not, then he will tell you why.

They mentioned this on scoccer night(yorkshire) last night, Mike Parry was on and he thought it was a great idea but does it bring in the revenue to sustain the clubs future, very difficult to equate.

I Posted some weeks ago about the benifits of regional divisions but many people disagreed. I still think it's the way forward as surely it's better to have less travelling costs and bigger crowds watcing locally based clubs.

If we'd been playing Rochdale last night we may have had 6000+.

Something has to change because people are staying away from football outside the top 2 divisions, and as it's been said before, a team is going to go out of business very shortly and once it happens that will just be the start!!

Just have a proper look at those stats you have kindly supplied. On closer inspection you will find that over the last 3 or 4 seasons in the second and third divisions there is quite clearly a downward trend!

League 1:

03/04 - 7505

04/05 - 7740

05/06 - 7460

06/07 - 7485

League 2:

03/04 - 5390

04/05 - 4500

05/06 - 4060

06/07 - 4134

Hardly a downward trend, and in all cases, higher than 1999/2000 or 2000/2001.

League 1:

03/04 - 7505

04/05 - 7740

05/06 - 7460

06/07 - 7485

League 2:

03/04 - 5390

04/05 - 4500

05/06 - 4060

06/07 - 4134

Now I'm no analyst - well actually I am - but that looks darn like a downward trend to me.

League 1:

03/04 - 7505

04/05 - 7740

05/06 - 7460

06/07 - 7485

League 2:

03/04 - 5390

04/05 - 4500

05/06 - 4060

06/07 - 4134

Even Mandelson would find it hard to put positive 'spin' on those figures, well done for trying. Not a Civil-Servant by any chance?

Now I'm no analyst - well actually I am - but that looks darn like a downward trend to me.

should do something similar to bradford in my opinion,its always better when you see a fuller bp,and especially next season with the stand coming down.the extra people in will buy programmes and food,if that is reviewd and priced right,we need to get the feel good factor back.

sadly untill we are either promoted or vastly reduce season tickets and pay on the day prices this trend will continue.

League 1:

03/04 - 7505

04/05 - 7740

05/06 - 7460

06/07 - 7485

League 2:

03/04 - 5390

04/05 - 4500

05/06 - 4060

06/07 - 4134

I'm not going to get in a dispute, but if you don't think that a drop of 1200+ per game in Div 2 over 4 seasons is a problem...that equates to about £400,000 per season in monetery terms.

Don't forget we've had a lot of new stadia and generally better facilities in all divisions but it hasn't made much difference has it?

I still think if we do nothing the situation will only get worse!

League 1:

03/04 - 7505

04/05 - 7740

05/06 - 7460

06/07 - 7485

League 2:

03/04 - 5390

04/05 - 4500

05/06 - 4060

06/07 - 4134

Can't really go off figured like these. It all depends on the clubs in the league. At the moment we have Forest and Leeds topping 20000 every week at home, and increasing support at away games. Replace those two with Scunny and Colchester and the averages will plummet.