210 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Yes, he should be sacked
    • No he shouldnt be sacked
  2. 2. If Yes, how about timescales, Shez should be sacked

• Now
    • at the end of the season if we dont reach the playoffs
    • before Christmas is results dont pick up and we have inadequate players
    • after the January transfer window if there are no moves or we are doing nothing in the league
    • at the end of next season if we dont get playoffs/promotion
    • SHOULDNT BE SACKED ANYWAY!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do we need another meaningless poll?

People ought to stop confusing every critical remark about what's happening with a demand for Sheridan to go; not everybody who isn't happy with things as they stand is calling for Sheridan's head.

Some people are calling for his head....

Guest sheridans_world

People ought to stop confusing every critical remark about what's happening with a demand for Sheridan to go; not everybody who isn't happy with things as they stand is calling for Sheridan's head.

People are calling for his head. Been about a month since our last poll.

So what do you want then? You obviously aren't happy with the way things are going both on and off the field at BP so what would make you happy? Be realistic, no unfeasible stuff like sign Ronaldo.

What do you class as success?

What is your blueprint for success at BP?

What is your timescale?

For the record, I voted no and shouldn't be sacked anyway.

For me success is getting and staying in the Championship, not interested in the prem, I don't want to see us become the next Derby and getting thumped week in week out. For me the only way we could become a premiership side would be to have a Jack Walker or Abramovich type figure. The odd cup run here and there would be nice.

My blue print is incremental change. Keep bringing the youth through with a smattering of experienced pros or "journeymen" if you will, with a couple of players like Macca, young lads with a few seasons behind them elsewhere. Off the field, the new stadium and associated facilities along with the proper maintainence of this. A manager given time to get things right with a stable board behind him, not being sold every few years but consistency throughout the club from top to bottom.

Timescale - 5 years or so. We could achieve the promotion in two years or so but whether it could be maintained is another matter, bigger clubs than us haven't managed to stay in the Championship.

I think he has until next November, no sign of progress by then i.e. solid place in top 6 or above, then i think he should go. As said in other posts if he was not a latics legend e.g. the same as Moore and Talbot, he would be hounded out over the next few weeks.

I agree that not every negative comment should be seen as a call for his head. However, after last night's games there were at least two threads that were doing exactly that, or at the very least wanting to open that debate. (You can't get much more explicit than "Time to go John"...)

I think last night also crystalised the realisation that we won't be making the play-offs.

With those factors in mind, I was thinking myself that perhaps it was a good time for a poll.

There's no getting away from the fact that this season is a bit of a damp squib after last. As long as we don't get dragged into the dreaded relegation scrap of course... but 9 points clear and with only one relegation place in question I think we just need to get some wins on the board over the next four games to be safe.

I can understand there being doubts about Sheridan's ability, both in terms of tactics and attracting the right players. He's a young manager in only his second season - he is bound to make mistakes. The real question is about potential. Will he learn from the mistakes, and does he have the potential to learn quickly and become a great manager?

When TTA appointed Sheridan their choices were certainly financially limited, but I also think they had genuine faith that he was the right man to take the club forward long term, i.e. they were willing to let him learn on the job because they recognise his potential. By doing that, they had to accept that we might not see immediate (or immediately consistent) progress on the pitch. I think now is the time for TTA to keep their faith in that decision. I believe, like them, that Sheridan DOES have the potential, and WILL learn quickly. Corporal Jones and others have said before that to make progress on the pitch we need continuity in our playing staff - keep hold of the best players and add to them. I believe that's also vital with the manager and backroom - starting again with a new manager would take us back two years. Give Sheridan the time to learn from his mistakes and improve, give him time to build the squad he wants, give him that time and the continuity factor will trickle down - HIS players will want to stay, stability will lead to progress. How much time? Well it took Joe Royle five years to make any tangible progress - I think Sheridan deserves that at least.

One final point - and I suspect Corporal Jones might even agree with me here! - the money we'd spend on changing the manager could be put to far better use persuading our best players to stay and adding quality to them, thus ending the vicious cycle of rebuilding the squad every 6-12 months.

I can understand there being doubts about Sheridan's ability, both in terms of tactics and attracting the right players. He's a young manager in only his second season - he is bound to make mistakes. The real question is about potential. Will he learn from the mistakes, and does he have the potential to learn quickly and become a great manager?

When TTA appointed Sheridan their choices were certainly financially limited, but I also think they had genuine faith that he was the right man to take the club forward long term, i.e. they were willing to let him learn on the job because they recognise his potential. By doing that, they had to accept that we might not see immediate (or immediately consistent) progress on the pitch. I think now is the time for TTA to keep their faith in that decision. I believe, like them, that Sheridan DOES have the potential, and WILL learn quickly. Corporal Jones and others have said before that to make progress on the pitch we need continuity in our playing staff - keep hold of the best players and add to them. I believe that's also vital with the manager and backroom - starting again with a new manager would take us back two years. Give Sheridan the time to learn from his mistakes and improve, give him time to build the squad he wants, give him that time and the continuity factor will trickle down - HIS players will want to stay, stability will lead to progress. How much time? Well it took Joe Royle five years to make any tangible progress - I think Sheridan deserves that at least.

One final point - and I suspect Corporal Jones might even agree with me here! - the money we'd spend on changing the manager could be put to far better use persuading our best players to stay and adding quality to them, thus ending the vicious cycle of rebuilding the squad every 6-12 months.

A lot of sense in that post, and I agree 100% that the TTA now have to stand by there decision and give Shez the time he needs.

Yes - at the end of next season if we dont get playoffs/promotion, although I'd modify that slightly to read "if we don't challenge for the playoffs, at least"

I have to say i am starting to agree with this.... as I have always said for me next season is the watertest... and we need to improve... not saying become worldbeaters... just improve - and that means top 8 minimum.... firmly believe that if we edd up where we are now at this time next season, his position will be virtually untenable - both due to the expectations of the fans and TTA...

I think it also has a lot to do with the statements that come out of the club - if TTA and Shez say the aim is promotion at the start of the next season - then they have to live and die by thier own sword, you acnt keep promising the world and coming up short...

I think this season has been a season of great highs and lows - we need consistency, a bigger squad, and some luck with injuries - I feel shez has a year to make that happen..... in an ideal world we would give him years, but if we keep making statement that crave success - the fans will force him out.... as i suppose I ams tarting to make plan for now... :blink:

... what wouldnt half help him though is some work starting on the ground - that would raise optimism...

Guest sheridans_world

Sheridan shouldnt be sacked. Last seasons team was not Ronnie Moore's team, Sheridan brought several players in throughout the season, be it on loan or full-time. That along with his cull of deadwood at the beginning of last season left him short on funds. Similar thing at the end of the season but on a much smaller scale. I would expect two or three players to leave with four or five to come in. Shez knows what he is doing and where he is going wrong, even if he doesnt act on it impulsivley. Let him bring players in over the summer, if he doesnt bring anyone in, he can be out of the door and down the street for me. Lets see who he brings in for our challenge next season then reassess the situation.

There is obviously a strong pro-sheridan feeling here, but (in terms of the last poll) 6% more people now want Shez to leave. Totally 18% of people, nearly a 1/5 of the crowd.

My only worry for next season is, that if we get rid of 4 or 5 players and bring in 4 or 5 players we are still in the same position, the squad is not big enough to challenge. we need to keep everyone, thats includes greegs and liddle, old or not, injury prone or not. we need players who can drop in who have a bit of experience, the kids are getting experience this season which will be invaluable for next but we need 4 or 5 more faces that have already played at this level.

he should keep his job and if we can build the sqaud instead of swapping numbers like for like then we will challenge. he just needs time.

the only major gripe is why do we have to buy from the division above, there plenty of talent around at our level or below who could step up (they wont demand the earth in wwages either, sometimes shez is going to have to take a chance. it worked for Big Joe

Sheridan shouldnt be sacked. Last seasons team was not Ronnie Moore's team, Sheridan brought several players in throughout the season, be it on loan or full-time. That along with his cull of deadwood at the beginning of last season left him short on funds. Similar thing at the end of the season but on a much smaller scale. I would expect two or three players to leave with four or five to come in. Shez knows what he is doing and where he is going wrong, even if he doesnt act on it impulsivley. Let him bring players in over the summer, if he doesnt bring anyone in, he can be out of the door and down the street for me. Lets see who he brings in for our challenge next season then reassess the situation.

There is obviously a strong pro-sheridan feeling here, but (in terms of the last poll) 6% more people now want Shez to leave. Totally 18% of people, nearly a 1/5 of the crowd.

Like it or lump it most of that team from last season (and our main attacking threat I might add) was Ronnie's, or were Wellens, Porter, Warne and Liddell a mirage? Scored the best part of 50 goals between them, therein lies this season's problem. Three have left, the other crocked. No creativity and no one to consistently put the ball away. The player's playing in the same position brought in as replacements directly or not have so far come 22 goals short.

Oh and Ronnie gave debuts to Eardley and Taylor too.......

TBH i think people need to get real. All this talk of him going etc is crap .. playoff talk and how were not going to get there is boring aswell ... last night we had 10 out of 16 players homegrown by the club .. we have a very young squad that isnt a million miles away from being a good side.

I think people need to be patient. If he goes then the team will be broke up YET AGAIN, let him stay and allow the younger players develop. We wont get anywhere by changing gaffers every-season or so .. its pointless.

TBH this whole Shz out thing is boring ... i mean were a club who are stable .. we arent going down. Weve a young squad who`s been robbed of vital players ... Greegs, Lidds, Hughes and then Davies recently. The second half wasnt bad yesterday, and were not to far away from being a good team who can challenge, need abit of luck and afew signings .... but we also need patience and time. Sacking a manager who actually gives a damn about the club is a step backwards for me ... we`ll end up with another Moore/Talbot who dont really give two hoots about us. Shez is LEARNING ... he needs TIME ..

At the end of the day all this talk has come about as weve not won .. if we win on saturday the Shez outers will quieten and wait for the next defeat .. the same people who im sure werent moaning after Everton, after Leeds, even after Carlisle at home. Many football fans, like our nation as a whole it seems wait for people to fail and criticise .. rather than stand up and encourage. (im not involving everyone there, theres many a fantastic blue fan, but theres also plenty of nobs).

Rant over, thought id through my two pennenth in.

Edited by kellys_discopants

On a purely selfish point, I don't want to see the money that I put into the club paying off ANOTHER manager and financing a new team around him. Too often teams change their manager when they need time. We're not in a bad position at the moment but if we are in the same position in exactly a year, that's when I'll start getting worried!

On a purely selfish point, I don't want to see the money that I put into the club paying off ANOTHER manager and financing a new team around him. Too often teams change their manager when they need time. We're not in a bad position at the moment but if we are in the same position in exactly a year, that's when I'll start getting worried!

I`ll agree pal .. Some sense at last :grin: