Progress

I've read all the posts from last night and in my opinion like the majority of fans believe it would be stupid to even think about sacking Shez, but the stark truth of the matter is that if it were a Talbot or a Moore with no real connection with the club most on here would be wanting him out.

If we give Shez the time I'm sure he will get us promoted, but , will he get it, I fear if we don't see real progress and we're in a similar position next year then it may well be his last season. He's had better backing from TTA than most of our previous managers and money is still available for the right players.

We haven't had much luck with injuries , but every club in every league has to deal with that and that's why we have a squad. If I have one real critisism of Shez then it's his stubborness in playing people out of position.

It's 4 years since TTA bought the club and you have to say that whilst the off field activities have slowly progressed, where it matters most, on the pitch, it has been very dissapointing.

Sometimes Shez is his own worst enemy, when he makes silly statements, like:

"On our day we can beat anybody in this league" ........So can 20 other teams in this league and we've only managed it 11 times out of 33 attempts!

" We are going to attack! attack! attack!"..........since that boast, apart from a few goals against Yeovil, we've probably had one of our less successful footballing spells.

"The playoffs are still on, and 11 wins from 18 should be enough and I think we can do it!" .......the result has been 2 wins from 5 and now we only need 9 from 13!!!!

"Lomax is the best footballer at the club"...... So he plays a left sided midfielder ( who we've lacked all season ) out of position at left back gives Lomax a 3 year deal and dumps him on the bench!

When he has played, I don't he has had a bad game and at Everton he was superb. What happened in the next game....he was relegated to the bench!

I really want Shez to succeed but he has to learn fast and next season I feel is what's going to make or break him. Coupled with the new stadium development we have to deliver on the pitch. Crowds are dwindling still further and next season without real progress the average will drop below 5000. I joked with a steward in the bar last night saying do I really have to go back and watch that rubbish and he said that a few people had already left at half time!!! Now I know it was cold last night and the first half was garbage, but to go home at half time...well that speaks volumes!

TTA will not be content to stick around in this division for much longer and no matter how nice the ground looks if you don't have a product on the pitch worth getting out of your armchair for then you simply won't have a sustainable club!!

I've read all the posts from last night and in my opinion like the majority of fans believe it would be stupid to even think about sacking Shez, but the stark truth of the matter is that if it were a Talbot or a Moore with no real connection with the club most on here would be wanting him out.

If we give Shez the time I'm sure he will get us promoted, but , will he get it, I fear if we don't see real progress and we're in a similar position next year then it may well be his last season. He's had better backing from TTA than most of our previous managers and money is still available for the right players.

We haven't had much luck with injuries , but every club in every league has to deal with that and that's why we have a squad. If I have one real critisism of Shez then it's his stubborness in playing people out of position.

It's 4 years since TTA bought the club and you have to say that whilst the off field activities have slowly progressed, where it matters most, on the pitch, it has been very dissapointing.

Sometimes Shez is his own worst enemy, when he makes silly statements, like:

"On our day we can beat anybody in this league" ........So can 20 other teams in this league and we've only managed it 11 times out of 33 attempts!

" We are going to attack! attack! attack!"..........since that boast, apart from a few goals against Yeovil, we've probably had one of our less successful footballing spells.

"The playoffs are still on, and 11 wins from 18 should be enough and I think we can do it!" .......the result has been 2 wins from 5 and now we only need 9 from 13!!!!

"Lomax is the best footballer at the club"...... So he plays a left sided midfielder ( who we've lacked all season ) out of position at left back gives Lomax a 3 year deal and dumps him on the bench!

When he has played, I don't he has had a bad game and at Everton he was superb. What happened in the next game....he was relegated to the bench!

I really want Shez to succeed but he has to learn fast and next season I feel is what's going to make or break him. Coupled with the new stadium development we have to deliver on the pitch. Crowds are dwindling still further and next season without real progress the average will drop below 5000. I joked with a steward in the bar last night saying do I really have to go back and watch that rubbish and he said that a few people had already left at half time!!! Now I know it was cold last night and the first half was garbage, but to go home at half time...well that speaks volumes!

TTA will not be content to stick around in this division for much longer and no matter how nice the ground looks if you don't have a product on the pitch worth getting out of your armchair for then you simply won't have a sustainable club!!

I pretty much agree with all of that. If things haven't changed by about Christmas time i think TTA will start seriously thinking about getting rid of Shez. When they got here didn't they say they wanted to be an established team in the Championship within 5 years?

I pretty much agree with all of that. If things haven't changed by about Christmas time i think TTA will start seriously thinking about getting rid of Shez. When they got here didn't they say they wanted to be an established team in the Championship within 5 years?

Said last night after that :censored: we served up in the first half coupled with both our poor home form all season and his many failings both this season and last season that I'll give him until Christmas. I'll be watching his transfer moves in the summer with great interest.

Said last night after that :censored: we served up in the first half coupled with both our poor home form all season and his many failings both this season and last season that I'll give him until Christmas. I'll be watching his transfer moves in the summer with great interest.

Again it looks like we need to overhaul the squad, so many signings will mean a few will not work out. Ie Thompson, Ricketts and Kalala this season.

Just hope Sheridan strikes lucky and whoever he brings in will all prove to be good signings.

but the stark truth of the matter is that if it were a Talbot or a Moore with no real connection with the club most on here would be wanting him out.

Exactly, so lets stick with someone we trust, who loves the club and not here for his payroll. We sack him now, get who in? it will most likely be someone who doesnt have a connection with us and if he doesnt make an immediate impact then we are back to square one.

It's worth repeating that, should we remain mired in this division, the legacy of the TTA will likely be a stadium that generates the revenue that enables survival at this level or below. And that's assuming that everything goes according to plan. If it doesn't, the club would have no long-term future.

The longer the lack of progress on the pitch, the more disillusioned the fans, as we are seeing-and, as has been obseved at many clubs, not least this one, once people get out of the habit of attending games, it is a mighty task trying to get them back. We have already shrunk as a club over the past 10-15 years, in terms of financial capacity and our status in the English game, and, as promotion seems to increasing numbers to be a pipe dream, appear to be on the verge of shrinking further.

Absolute no progress, if anything going backwards and to much relying on kids.

Heard plenty saying last night that they wont be renewing ST's if this garbage is served up every week.

A good player doesnt make a great manager, if he really gave a stuff about the club he needs to realise and takes actions before its too late.

There's a price to be paid for doing up the ground and not investing in the team.

2 words - Oxford United

The same Darlington who tried to sign Asprilla and Gascoigne? I would have thought they were a better example of what happens when a club gambles foolishly.

Those were under a previous regime though LL.

They have however had one of the biggest wage bills in the bottom two divisions since they came out of Administration. The Stadium was built and paid for by George Reynolds who was made Bankrupt (forcing the Club into Admin and debt free new Ownership) shortly after it was completed. Since then, they have lived beyond their means due to generous and ambitious owners who are prepared to fund weekly losses.

Michael Cummings was one of several players who chose Darlington over a host of League One Clubs for financial reasons. They also could afford to take over Matty Appleby's crippling financial Contract from OAFC (2004) Ltd.

Heard plenty saying last night that they wont be renewing ST's if this garbage is served up every week.

A good player doesnt make a great manager, if he really gave a stuff about the club he needs to realise and takes actions before its too late.

There's a price to be paid for doing up the ground and not investing in the team.

2 words - Oxford United

Spot on! Glad to see individual thought is still alive and kicking. It really is becoming the Ritchie era phase 2. Ok we're supposedly making strides off the pitch but on it we have definitely been going backwards since February last year. The wins at Leeds and Everton have served to paper over the cracks , appeasing the easily pleased and heping to stifle questions that needed asking from the end of October onwards. Now the more vociferous detractors are making themselves heard and whilst I don't agree with all their opinions, many valid points are being made and there seems to be a campaign amongst some posters to sweep their views under the carpet.

2 words - Oxford United

How are injuries Shez`s fault? Im guessing its his fault we were without both Davies and Hughes last night. Before you say bring people in etcetc ... im sure hes tried .. its not as easy and on football manager to get players in.

The same Darlington who tried to sign Asprilla and Gascoigne? I would have thought they were a better example of what happens when a club gambles foolishly.

We're not talking Asprilla or Gazza LL, we're talking bodies bringing bodies in to do a job. Like under Ritchie, boys are being asked to do a man's job. First half last night young Lewi and Deano were so out of their depth it was laughable, both were absolutely :censored:-scared of their centre-halves. Not good when you look at the games we have coming up at home vs Trannies, Millwall etc all teams of big bruisers. They've one goal between them, the longer they go without scoring the more damage it does to their development.

How are injuries Shez`s fault? Im guessing its his fault we were without both Davies and Hughes last night. Before you say bring people in etcetc ... im sure hes tried .. its not as easy and on football manager to get players in.

Injuries aren't his fault, but not having adequate cover for the SECOND season in sucession is unforgivable.

I don't agree with all their opinions, many valid points are being made and there seems to be a campaign amongst some posters to sweep their views under the carpet.

I hope you weren't referring to me and the size of my arse there Paul! <_<

Seriously though, why do you think "there is a campaign to sweep their views under the carpet?" There was an accusation the other day that views were moderated which is complete crap. No posts are deleted (unless for specific reasons contrary to the Rules and Regs) and just because people may chose to argue the toss, doesn't mean it is part of a campaign/ censorship etc?

I know you and if you've got a view then you will argue your point. That's what it is all about. Just because people don't agree though doesn't mean there is a campaign to stifle debate.

Injuries aren't his fault, but not having adequate cover for the SECOND season in sucession is unforgivable.

Like i said it isnt as easy as identifying a player and getting him ... Were not exactly an attractive proposition at the minute. Makes me laugh how people just assume nothings been done to get players in ... does everyone on here work at BP?

I hope you weren't referring to me and the size of my arse there Paul! <_<

Seriously though, why do you think "there is a campaign to sweep their views under the carpet?" There was an accusation the other day that views were moderated which is complete crap. No posts are deleted (unless for specific reasons contrary to the Rules and Regs) and just because people may chose to argue the toss, doesn't mean it is part of a campaign/ censorship etc?

I know you and if you've got a view then you will argue your point. That's what it is all about. Just because people don't agree though doesn't mean there is a campaign to stifle debate.

My point is there's too many on here who are positive for the sake of it, Optimism is good, but some of it is bordering on insanity! Some need to wake up and smell the coffee. The club is treading water, on then field anyway. The club is making all the right noises regarding transers but with little sucess. Either the owners are saying one thing and doing another, or Shez really is incompetent when it come to the market. The crowd was 3,900 last night, people can come up with any number of excuses for the low turn out but the truth is people ARE voting with their feet and this will be mirrored in Season-Ticket sales come the summer. I want some continuity within our managerial set-up, but he has to prove he can take us forward. Since February last year he has been like a rabbit trapped in head-lights. Shez himself needs arocket up his arse because he is too reactive. By being pro-active he will build a winning mentality.

Like i said it isnt as easy as identifying a player and getting him ... Were not exactly an attractive proposition at the minute. Makes me laugh how people just assume nothings been done to get players in ... does everyone on here work at BP?

It isn't easy for the other 22 teams (either (luton excepted) mate, but they've managed it. Grabban's doinhg well for Millwall and so is Murray at BHA. Shez sets his sights too high that's why he fails. There are loads of good players in the league below, i'd been recommending Bailey at Barnet for three seasons and has proved a revelation for Southend. His position..................goalscoring left-sider. Now which club needs one of those?

Edited by oafcprozac

My point is there's too many on here who are positive for the sake of it, Optimism is good, but some of it is bordering on insanity! Some need to wake up and smell the coffee. The club is treading water, on then field anyway. The club is making all the right noises regarding transers but with little sucess. Either the owners are saying one thing and doing another, or Shez really is incompetent when it come to the market. The crowd was 3,900 last night, people can come up with any number of excuses for the low turn out but the truth is people ARE voting with their feet and this will be mirrored in Season-Ticket sales come the summer. I want some continuity within our managerial set-up, but he has to prove he can take us forward. Since February last year he has been like a rabbit trapped in head-lights. Shez himself needs arocket up his arse because he is too reactive. By being pro-active he will build a winning mentality.

Fair enough mate. That's down to opinion though as opposed to anything more machiavellian.

Regarding the crowd, I stuck my fingers in my ears as I didn't want to hear the attendance figure last night. For the first time in I don't know how long, I wanted to go home at half-time. I was freezing and bored rigid. Glad I didn't as the second half was better and we showed some good glimpses in difficult conditions. Convinced myself on the drive home that I would give Vale park a miss but I've already weakened on that and am taking the eldest (I'll deal with the call from Childline later!).

The result though meant that for me, the rest of the Season is about planning and deciding what is needed for the new Season rather than harbouring hopes of play offs. The Club can never say that though. Spot on with the proactive rather than reactive comment. I have no reason to believe that TTA haven't made money available but maybe they need to stipulate to Shez that it is spent within certain timeframes and parameters.

I think you and I share the same view on Sheridan and I posted something elsewhere. We need continuity but we also need him to learn from his mistakes. He only has until the end of next Season to show he can make us progress on the pitch and as has been said elsewhere, he may be looking for a new job by Christmas if he doesn't deliver.

Injuries or not, we should have been far better placed this Season.

Grabbans been and gone here and he wasnt much good really IMO. Plus, yes Murrays doing well but even if Shez wanted him i doubt he would have been able to spend 300K .. not his fault.

Yep, there are some cracking lower league players ill agree ... would love to see Bishop here.

Think you are being overly harsh on Grabban there. The lad was recalled as during his month here he only was allowed fleeting sub appearances. Same with Cwyka..... If you don't play loanees clubs will be loathe to let you lend you their players in the future. I reckon this Robertson after what I saw of him last season (as 17 mins was too short a period to form an opinion) is a good 'un but he must START on Saturday therwise i'll be doubly pissed off!

Grabbans been and gone here and he wasnt much good really IMO. Plus, yes Murrays doing well but even if Shez wanted him i doubt he would have been able to spend 300K .. not his fault.

Yep, there are some cracking lower league players ill agree ... would love to see Bishop here.

He did have 300k to spend, he just doesn't know who he wants or he is looking at players that are not willing to drop down to league one. He now has a few months to set his sights on some realistic targets who will hopefully fire us to promotion next season

I wasn't a huge fan of Grabben either but he's only young so could have improved since he was here

Edited by Gemma06

He did have 300k to spend, he just doesn't know who he wants or he is looking at players that are not willing to drop down to league one. He now has a few months to set his sights on some realistic targets who will hopefully fire us to promotion next season

I wasn't a huge fan of Grabben either but he's only young so could have improved since he was here

Scored 2 in 2 though so far, Whilst we struggle with 'yoof' that isn't quite ready yet imo.....

We're not talking Asprilla or Gazza LL, we're talking bodies bringing bodies in to do a job. Like under Ritchie, boys are being asked to do a man's job. First half last night young Lewi and Deano were so out of their depth it was laughable, both were absolutely :censored:-scared of their centre-halves. Not good when you look at the games we have coming up at home vs Trannies, Millwall etc all teams of big bruisers. They've one goal between them, the longer they go without scoring the more damage it does to their development.

We had a fair number of young and fairly inexperienced players in the side under Davros as well. I’ll grant you Lewis and Deano are probably playing more games, or at least more games without experienced partners around them, than is ideal, but at the same time they are promising players who are justifiably on the fringes of the first team, so when we have three senior strikers out (inc Lids) why not give them a chance? If we had experienced cover in the squad willing to wait in turn behind Davies, Hughes and perhaps Lids and battle it out with Lewis, Deano and Wolfy for a starting place, he would be with us for one reason and one reason alone. He would be too crap for anyone else’s starting line-up.