Hewitt

he said last night in the chron that oafc(2004) in conjunction with the fa are to build plastic pitches on clayton, is this true?

I'm sure he wasnt celebrating the fact as a joyous day for sport in oldham.... what exactly was his catastrophic, world ending, problem with this?

I'm sure he wasnt celebrating the fact as a joyous day for sport in oldham.... what exactly was his catastrophic, world ending, problem with this?

We're and FA member and this is an FA initiative. The evil Oldham Athletic finally have their hands on Clayton Playing Fields he says but what about the 180,000 trustees who don't use the playing fields for football. Well, they'll have to walk their dogs elsewhere I should think <_<

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

I think it was the sound of straws being clutched at and he may well need a tin foil hat as it seems the whole world is out to get him.

Shame he shot himself right between the big toe and the ankle with the comment comment about the "inept, ethnically-challenged council" Way to go Simon!!! If you want to engage in public debate play the race card. <- After checking this bit is factually incorrect

Plus he tried to rally the troops by saying that any development on there would deny access to clayton to all 200,000 Oldham residents. Well pardon me for being picky but I have never seen all 200,000 Oldham residents trying to use Clayton playing fields. I would like to see the figures as to what the actual number of people who do use it are? Can't see it being more than a couple of thousand and of those I would bet that most are playing football and of this further subset I bet the majority would welcome some proper changing rooms and some investment from the FA.

Edited by beag_teeets

I think it was the sound of straws being clutched at and he may well need a tin foil hat as it seems the whole world is out to get him.

Shame he shot himself right between the big toe and the ankle with the comment comment about the "inept, ethnically-challenged council" Way to go Simon!!! If you want to engage in public debate play the race card.

Was it ethnic or ethic?

Most of Hewitt's rant was a pure NIMBY reaction to the idea that anything might change on Clayton. He seems to think the 200,000 or so Oldhamers who don't use it should hold sway over the few hundred/thousand who do. My own view is that it's about time the FA showed some interest in the grass roots of the game - and I would welcome new facilities for the amateur game anywhere.

The part of Hewitt's letter that I take extreme offence to is his completely groundless link between this story and Oldham Athletic and his supposition that this is somehow a ruse for Latics to "get their hands on" Clayton.

I can imagine the club has better things to do with its time and will choose to ignore a well known rabble rouser, but a demand for a retraction and apology under threat of legal action would by entirely justified.

I know the Chron likes to publish "a range of the public's views", but I can't help thinking they ought to be a little more careful when readers' letters contain blatant factual untruths such as this.

Edited by garcon

i always imagine plastic as like failsworth astro, laid on concrete

Don't know if you ever played on the "plastic" pitch at Latics but that was largely sand-based (needed a massive amount of watering - far, far more than normal rainfall) and since then, they have improved tremendously in terms of drainage; bounce; roll etc.

The term "Plastic" does give the wrong impression.

The stuff they have now is miles better, they are on about 4th generation stuff I think. If anyone has used Soccer Village at Milnrow I presume they'd be looking at a similar standard of stuff. If it's good enough for Liverpool and Real Madrid to train on.....

Not surpising that Wilson doesn't rate Chris Taylor if he's used to popping down the road and watching Torres; Ronaldinho and the like training is it! :unsure:

:)

my my, we really are moving with the times here. so whats basicly proposed is that we get a 21st century stadium, surrounded by 21st century community pitches and 21st century buildings? no wonder hes worried!

hope all the trees get to stay though.

Don't forget the 21st Century road junctions as well Daz!