Worthwhile or not?

Lags

Was Hughes worth the money?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Given the amount of football matches we've had out of Hughes, is he worth it?

• Defo, without question
    • Better than average return on the money
    • Average return on the money
    • Below average return on the money
    • Very poor return on the money, defo not worth it

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said Defo.

That's not to say I think he's been especially fantastic this year. However he's shown potential and willingness to work and we're not paying him a ludicrous wage.

If he can have a positive summer and work hard on his fitness I think he could score 25+ next year.

I've said Defo.

That's not to say I think he's been especially fantastic this year. However he's shown potential and willingness to work and we're not paying him a ludicrous wage.

If he can have a positive summer and work hard on his fitness I think he could score 25+ next year.

A natural finisher who's worth a lot of money on a free transfer who's prone to a few niggles. Definitely.

A natural finisher who's worth a lot of money on a free transfer who's prone to a few niggles. Definitely.

Always thought given he's missed three years of his pro-career and the training that goes with that, we wouldn't see the best of Hughes until next season when he's had a full pre-season behind him. At times he's looked sharp, other times he's been way off the pace. But he's still bagged 8 goals all different. The guy's a finisher no doubt, have we had value for money? Well if you compare him with some of our past signings such as Smart, Whitehall, or Killen i'd say he's average value.

How can anyone question this deal...well apart from the negative PR and flak that we received when it was announced.

The lad has kept his head down and committed himself fully on and off field. He's been hit with injuries, which is understandable with his time out of the game and either us pushing him or the player pushing himself into playing rather than a gradual reintroduction.

Regardless of injury, when he has played, he has proven his worth and his someone that we miss and would never have if circumstances were different. Get him fit, free from injury and I reckon we'll get 25+ goals out of him next season. Then the fun and games begin when interest increases from clubs who were less inclined to gamble on him when the spotlight was firmly on him.

:shock:

Err... let me think about this one.....

The best striker we have had at this club for 10 years - worth the average lower division salary for a top champ level striker... errr.. I think so... get a full preseason behind him and he will be unstoppable...

I just feel sorry for those who didnt see the away performances at Bournemouth, Millwall, Sarfend etc... anyone who was at those games would not question him for a second... and all at 60% ish fitness...

Sod 25 goals next season... we get him fit it will be 30+

The amount of time, money and effort getting him to the club could have been better spent looking for a striker who could have hit the ground running and he's a 31 year injury prone striker.

Really?? As is always said, pehaps you could suggest some?

Lee Hughes has been a revelation this season... for the 3 months he was in the side he showed that he is the best sriker in this division - bar none, he turned us, pretty mch single handedly from being devastatingly boring, to a club who can win successive game on the bounce away from home - and show that even if he wasnt fully fit.. he is the best striker we have had for years...

Time, effort, Money?? Come on Senor.... Time and effort - a few visits to the prison and finding a house for his family?? i suppose you are also referring to that devastating media backlash that lasted for oh... a week? Oh, and that massive investment on his stella wages of £1.5k a week.. a true bank-breaker..

And what has he given us... utter commitment... faith in repaying us for giving him his chance... goals in crucial games.... as you rightfully say he is unfit.... but he has been in the slammer for 3 years - he needs a preseason like every other player... is a bloomin miracle he has even got back to playing at full steam this season... Tell you what, without hughesy we would be sat here with 15 less points (the only reason we wont hose hgames was Him - shows in our away form now doesnt it?), and having been beaten at everton - tell you what, not that would have turned a poor season.. into a disastrous season.... Hughesy is one of the only bright points from this campaign..

... why does everything have to be the hear and now with our fans... the investment in Hughesy means, as i have said before, even if we sign a team of quadraplegics in the summer, with Hughesy up top we will finish in the top 6 next year - he is that good...

It has also done something else massive - despite our little tiffs, and against all the uproar... Hughesy 9 has brought the whole set of fans together more than any other player I can remember - that for me is worth more than anything...

The whole following chanting "Hughesy, Hughesy" at Bournemouth, Millawall, and Everton (whilst he pumped his fist on the touchline) are my highlights of the season...

He has already paid bach the time, effort and money ten times over...

3 months !!! Thats all we've got from the guy, certain other players would have been strung up for having an injury record like him. I know some of you like to big up your own players and employ a seige mentality, but come on, the best striker in the division? Based on what?

It has also done something else massive - despite our little tiffs, and against all the uproar... Hughesy 9 has brought the whole set of fans together more than any other player I can remember - that for me is worth more than anything...

I'm almost crying here, It's like David Eyres never pulled on a blue No28 shirt.

Must admit I'm slightly surprised by the poll results so far.

The cold, hard truth is that we haven't really seen enough of him this season. I'm hoping he'll manage a cameo and a few goals towards the end to remind us what we've invested in and what we can expect next season.

And there's the key. I'll properly judge Hughesy's value to us at the end of his two year contract. He was never going to be able to give us a full season this time, so next season is the one to judge him on. If he stays relatively injury free I think he'll repay us in bucketloads.

3 months !!! Thats all we've got from the guy, certain other players would have been strung up for having an injury record like him. I know some of you like to big up your own players and employ a seige mentality, but come on, the best striker in the division? Based on what?I'm almost crying here, It's like David Eyres never pulled on a blue No28 shirt.

The three month we have seen from him? Maybe?

David Eyres, been and gone... loved him, brilliant, would love him back as a spritely 31 year old... which is one of your criticisms of Hughesy.... however he aint in our team any more... and Hughesy has done more than any other player in our team to make sure our season isnt a total disaster - the fact he did that in 3 months says a lot for how good he is...

... or is that how poor the rest of our team is... :mmm:

The three month we have seen from him? Maybe?

David Eyres, been and gone... loved him, brilliant, would love him back as a spritely 31 year old... which is one of your criticisms of Hughesy.... however he aint in our team any more... and Hughesy has done more than any other player in our team to make sure our season isnt a total disaster - the fact he did that in 3 months says a lot for how good he is...

... or is that how poor the rest of our team is... :mmm:

I'm actually interested now, what did Hughes do in those three months that made him the best striker in the division?

Oh and Craig Davies and his 14 goals say hi.

I don't know how anyone can judge this question when we don't know exactly what he's earning.

I think it's common knowledge.

Edit....I don't think I'd like people to be talking about how much I earn. Amount deleted. :)

Edited by jorvik_latic

I'm actually interested now, what did Hughes do in those three months that made him the best striker in the division?

Oh and Craig Davies and his 14 goals say hi.

I think anyone on the board, including yourself if you werent in your unsual inquisative mood, would agree that a fully fit Lee Hughes is more of an asset than a fully fit Craig davies... we are lucky to have such a good strikeforce.... and Davies for me is in the top 10 strikers in this league easily and getting better...

Ok... lets answer your question... Lee Hughes' record this season is 18 games played, 8 Goals scored.... I fully question that he was anywhere near fit for the first month (and was then injured again)... and 4 of those were cup games... so, he scored 7 goals in 14 league games.... thats 1 ever other game, when he wasnt even fit... and with our terrible service.... so its easy maths - over the season he would have scored 23 goals, whilst carrying a niggle... and playing in an average side...

And lets look at some of his goals... Bournemouth, 25 yard screamer that broke the deadlock ina terrible game.... Sarfend... destroyed the defender and won the match in the first 5 mins.. Millwall - that third goal is pure class... pretty much my goal of the season... including kilkenny's etc... Defenders are absolutely terrified of him... and he creates so much space for the opposition players and himself...

Its an old arguement... but if davies would have passed to him (ever) he would be in double figures - in 14 league games! And the only reason we won those away games was him - the ball sticks, his touch is immense, and the whole team lifts when he is on the pitch - he has no weaknesses... his touch is great, he's quich, lethal finisher, good in the air, strong, and about 10 seconds ahead of everyone on the pitch mentally...

He excites me more than any other player I have seen at this club in the alst 10 years.. throw whatever player you want at that, eyresy, whatever.... he is a class above this team, and this division and it is an absolute coup we have him here.... the stats back that up too....

How about that?

So it's all guess work then that leads you to proclaim him a legend (I assume thats what you think he is?)? Stats are funny things, you look at it as him scoring 1 every other game while if you put his games side by side Soccerbase you'll see that the hattrick masks a very erratic series of games where he nearly matched his goals record by the number of yellows he picked up, but I guess that just shows he has passion right?

Hughes contribution this season doesn't even come close to what Ruben, Allott and Davies have given us.

So it's all guess work then that leads you to proclaim him a legend (I assume thats what you think he is?)? Stats are funny things, you look at it as him scoring 1 every other game while if you put his games side by side Soccerbase you'll see that the hattrick masks a very erratic series of games where he nearly matched his goals record by the number of yellows he picked up, but I guess that just shows he has passion right?

Hughes contribution this season doesn't even come close to what Ruben, Allott and Davies have given us.

Isn't the poll flawed anyway in that he hasn't gone anywhere so 'Was he worth it' can't be judged until the end of his contract/him going?

Judged on a purely football basis, is Hughes a good signing - yes, is he a player other teams worry about when they see the team sheet - yes, would a fit Hughes score goals - defo (seen as an unfit one hasn't done bad), are we glad that we've got him rather than another team in this division - defo, could/should he play/be playing at a higher level - most definately. So all in all of the options was it a good move to sign him - yes.

He's won us points this year, but as senor says his overall contribution isn't near Rubes, Allott and even Davies. But still a v good signing and if he can get back to his previous fitness levels then without doubt a major headache for defences next season.

Edited by lookers87