Worthwhile or not?

Lags

Was Hughes worth the money?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Given the amount of football matches we've had out of Hughes, is he worth it?

• Defo, without question
    • Better than average return on the money
    • Average return on the money
    • Below average return on the money
    • Very poor return on the money, defo not worth it

Fair enough - that his own choice.. but I doubt if that is exactly what the letter said, and it still strikes me as a little childish.. someone doesnt just give up on thier club for decades just because of that, i'm sure there were other reasons at play which you allude to in your next para...

This is something that has been discussed thread after thread on here.... and to be honest, not once has anyone shoved thier hand up and said its because of Lee Hughes... think that is clutching at straws (albeit maybe the one that breaks the camels back) but the bottom line is that people arent coming cos the football in this division is rubbish, and we have been here for far too long - they can dress it up however they like, and use the "excuse of the day" if they want... and as you footer again say - that makes them a cock in my book...

... I'm not even going to get into the "shat over our morals comment" - yeah, sure there are lots of room for morals in football nowadays when agents, ambition and money rules - we show a bit of foresight and we get accused of having no morals - rubbish, I could name 20+ clubs who have worse morals than us, and are above us in the league structure because they trample all over clubs like us - and every one of those supposed latics fans who complain about morals would swap places in the league with them in a second.... the moral arguement again does not work in my book, its jjust another dead end for people to moan about...

I wasn't just alluding to Hughes regarding shatting all over our morals and personally, we wouldn't need to have to swap places with other clubs to have been higher in the league ladder had we not done it over and over....my opinion is, we'd already have been there. Knowing me and reading between the lines, you'll hopefully work out what I'm getting at. As I pointed out originally though, far more are discontented at his signing and will be for a long time to come whether coming to BP or not. Just few will air it, as there's little point in doing so....he's here and most will get on with it as best as can. The rest will move on, as has done so.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Would it be wrong of me to say that people chant Hughes name because it's an easy name to chant along to? Is it any loader than the 'Hughesy, Hughesy' Mark Hughes (not the son of the Devil) got?

I suppose its easier than chanting Vennegoor of Hesselink , Vennegoor of Hesselink , Vennegoor of Hesselink :huh:

but i dont get yer point Coco ? :unsure: spell it out to me :grin:

I wasn't just alluding to Hughes regarding shatting all over our morals and personally, we wouldn't need to have to swap places with other clubs to have been higher in the league ladder had we not done it over and over....my opinion is, we'd already have been there. Knowing me and reading between the lines, you'll hopefully work out what I'm getting at. As I pointed out originally though, far more are discontented at his signing and will be for a long time to come whether coming to BP or not. Just few will air it, as there's little point in doing so....he's here and most will get on with it as best as can. The rest will move on, as has done so.

Yes, i do agree with you - and I know what you are alluding to... which is a whole different kettle of Moral fish.... but a good example of how giving someone a chance may have paid off in the end (or may not have!) ... but at least in this case people have not jumped on a bandwaggon, and havent got the pitchforks out...

I think you are right with the fact most are getting on with it... I may be ultra-positive re: Hughes, but I am also in the minority, I just cant help it cos as i have repeated in this thread - for footballing reasons he is the most exciting thing to happen to this club for a very long time - and there are probably equally in the few whom are vocal about the dislike for him... most just bumble along groaning when things are going bad, and chant his name when things are going well... its the way of the world..

I still firmly believe that hughesy will/has attracted far more people to the club because of the excitement he brings, rather than pushed people away.... would love to see what our attendances would be now without the 15-odd points minumum he has brought to this club this season - but that is all hearsay - suppose we will just have to get on with it and see what happens...

... then probably get the pitchforks out anyway! :wink:

I think the poll results show those who were against his signing have been swayed, or, they were in a minority in the first place. If some dont want to come good luck to them but I think it is a ridiculous reason to stop attending BP. If anything his quality ought to be improving attendance due to both the appeal of watching him and his presence no doubt improving our results. As many often point out it is product on the pitch which will improve attendance - Hughesy is serious product on the pitch, whatever his past, which in my opinion is far from unforgivable which I suppose plays a massive part in forming my opinion on this matter.

I think the poll results show those who were against his signing have been swayed, or, they were in a minority in the first place. If some dont want to come good luck to them but I think it is a ridiculous reason to stop attending BP. If anything his quality ought to be improving attendance due to both the appeal of watching him and his presence no doubt improving our results. As many often point out it is product on the pitch which will improve attendance - Hughesy is serious product on the pitch, whatever his past, which in my opinion is far from unforgivable which I suppose plays a massive part in forming my opinion on this matter.

I think the poll shows absolutely nothing. Hence why I've not voted on it. In a years time, I'll seek it out and give my assessment when a proper assessment of Lee Hughes and whether he's been worthwhile, can be given.

He was training this morning - in the driving snow! I almost felt sorry for them, then I compared their wage packets with mine, and I stopped feeling sorry (under my umbrella).

Anyway he seemed to be taking a full part in the fast-moving game that was going on. So that must be good news, mustn't it?

I think the poll shows absolutely nothing. Hence why I've not voted on it. In a years time, I'll seek it out and give my assessment when a proper assessment of Lee Hughes and whether he's been worthwhile, can be given.

"BB80 Declines to Give Opinion Shocker" :shock:

The sacking of Ronnie? another excuse for the cowards not to buy season tickets, why don't they have the balls to come out and say, look we're :censored: its no fun anymore and i'd rather the missus dragged me by my todger around MFI every saturday. We've all suffered since the glory days, occasionally there are days that make it worthwhile, such as City, Everton and dare I say witnessing a win at Vale Park. Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons......wonder if the same moral cowards...(sorry crusaders) that use Hughes, Moore, crap division etc... as an excuse for not attending games were at Goodison, who played at number 9 that day...................?

One man aint enough excuse to give up your team, end of.

Edited by oafcprozac

The sacking of Ronnie? another excuse for the cowards not to buy season tickets, why don't they have the balls to come out and say, look we're :censored: its no fun anymore and i'd rather the missus dragged me by my todger around MFI every saturday. We've all suffered since the glory days, occasionally there are days that make it worthwhile, such as City, Everton and dare I say witnessing a win at Vale Park. Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons......wonder if the same moral cowards...(sorry crusaders) that use Hughes, Moore, crap division etc... as an excuse for not attending games were at Goodison, who played at number 9 that day...................?

One man aint enough excuse to give up your team, end of.

As for whether Hghes' signing was worhwhile or not its ony a month or so since many on here were worried he'd be snapped up during the window, such was his impact during November and December.

I still can't support the bloke as an individual but have been impressed by his quiet dignity in returning to the professional game. He has gotten his head down on the pitch and been as good as his word off it so far as I can tell.

I don't think we have seen the best of him on the pitch - he has been decent in the small spurts when his fitness has been good, but they are all too infrequent. His three months of fitness are something akin to that which Killen had when he went on his purple patch with Beckett, and we all know what the vast majority think of the Kiwi - though incorrectly IMO, it's no more Killens fault that he was injured a lot than it is Gregans, Liddells or Hughes's. The bugbear with the fans was the money, (OK and the odd indescretion), - but come on in the same position would you say no?

For what it is worth I know a full family of supporters who are gutted at missing this season, but have chosen to do so on the back of the signing of Lee Hughes and won't return until he has left BP.

Undecided on him as a footballer - the one thing I do know (especially for those that think that everyone has taken a shine to him) is that he is about as far away from being hero worshipped by me as it is possible to get - that is my choice to make though.

KtF,

Derek.