boundaryblue80

Andy Liddell poll  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Has Andy Liddell earned his corn?

• Yes - without question
    • Yes - although only in parts, but overall yes
    • No - ok in parts, but not enough
    • No - without question
  2. 2. Would you give him a new contract?

• Yes - Definitely
    • Yes - If he proves his fitness before the season end
    • No - Happy with his 3yrs here, but age etc. means I'd let him go
    • No - 3mths of class football from a 3yr contract isn't good enough. Bye!

We currently have a "worthwhile?" poll on Hughes after 6mths of his current contract.....so I thought I'd stick one up myself. About Andy Liddell. Sadly, despite knowing Liddell can be and sometimes has been a class player, personally I feel like Andy Liddell hasn't earned his corn with just 3 quality months (12 league assists in them months, which stuck him up top of the chart for last season but only adding 2 since Jan 1st 2007) of his 3yr deal and has been an utter disappointment. Now his contract is fast approaching its end, it's time to ask if he's really been the player we expected and earned his worth? Not for me sadly.

PS Many thanks for the edits, Admin!

Edited by boundaryblue80

No worries matey, it's what we're here for!

I voted that, this year, I don't think he's earnt his wage. However I do think he's easily worth a low wage next season, with a healthy pay bonus if he plays/scores/assists.

No worries matey, it's what we're here for!

I voted that, this year, I don't think he's earnt his wage. However I do think he's easily worth a low wage next season, with a healthy pay bonus if he plays/scores/assists.

Think the sticking point on that will be the wage though...can maybe see us doing a Haining etc. Offering a deal whereby we feel it's fair, but he feels he's worth more and moves on. Although, his fitness issue might see him accept a low wage. I've voted no personally....even when fit, he's only really been what I expected for 3mths. I might be happier if he was re-signed but not for RW duties (I'm an advocate of playing him from the bench behind the front 2). But I can't see him being kept for those purposes, so I'd not want him to be offered another contract. Thanks and good luck, I say.

Guest oa_exile

Big fan of Lids , so voted Yes and Yes again IF he can prove his fitness.

I would make a assumption that he is one of the top earners at BP so of course the 1 year deal would be on a reduced salary than what he is on now.

dont think i have to reiterrate my opinion of th good mr Liddell... (but I will in short!) ... has always utterly flattered to decieve, can put a ball on a sixpence if given three years to set himself, but then detracts from every aspect of team play because of his lack of pace, drive, insistence on passing backwards, the best player by a country mile at set pieces in our squad... but if we are looking to progress than any further offer of a contract is utter stupidity - would be a massive slap in the face to people such as smalley - who offer far more to our team both now, and in the future...

As BB80 says, he had a good three months when Porter was on fire... then everyone rolls out the assists statistic... its as pointless as arguing a striker is only judged on goals - its about his all round contribution.. and that is just above nowt....

All his good points can be found elsewhere in a younger, fitter, cheaper, more hungry player... just cant see him accepting a low wage and sitting on the bench for 90% of the season... as i say there are more mobile, versatile, dynamic players at this level out there....

... all the same - good luck lids!! Not your biggest fan, but can see why people like ya!

Edited by BigfinLatic

one of the biggest signings we have made in the last ten years, probably only topped by hughes and sheridan. so much expectation when he arrived, he was single handedly going to hand us promotion. thats how much we expected of him, and quite frankly that expectation was unfair on one individual. yet still, i do not think he has contributed half as much as he should be doing. i am a firm believer in blooding young guns, with the added sprinkling of experience at your back bone of the team. for me at right wing, you cant have the required impact on a game like our other experienced players (gregan, crossley, Hughes) are able to do so in their positions. The wide position in which Liddell plys his trade should be filled by a pacey youngster who can run at defenders and swing a decent ball in.

So much promise, so little delivered, thanks and goodbye.

Myself am someone who has rated Liddels contribution certainly did last year I would keep him but it would be on a 1 year deal and would hope he wouldn't be a top earner as I would like to see him being used from the bench only.

It was about this time last year that not just the fact our legs seemed to go but teams started to figure us out tactically where I sit in the lookers upper it does give me a good vantage point into how teams set out. Last season when Millwall came to us they tactically out manouvered us and one thing teams did time and time again was to get tight to Liddell and teams would often double up on him as teams looked to stop us crossing the ball for Porter as scoring from crosses was his strength.

What sets David Eyres and Rick Holden apart from Liddel is that Holden and Eyres could beat a man without necessarily having pace they could just twist and turn to create a yard of space for the cross this is something Liddel sadly doesn't posses as its very rare he beats a man. However he does have a good football brain and could still do a job from the bench as he did in the first game of the season against Swansea. Not only that but if he's interested in coaching it might be worth keeping him for that reason as I'm sure he could teach players in the youth team and junior levels alot about the game.

I don't really think that we could justify giving him anything more than a year's deal - on a reduced wage too.

While he has shown glimpses of what he's been capable of (and been famed for) during his time here, it's never really been for a decent run over a whole season.

He's had bad luck with injuries, sure, but I don't really see his injuries clearing up, he's no spring chicken now is he.

I think it may be that now is the time to say goodbye to Liddell; Smalley and Taylor look like they have the makings of two very good wingers.

Keep the Faith

Don't really dislike Lids as such, but I feel even when he's fit he does not contribute enough to warrant another contract; I wish he had the consistancy of Allott for instance. I do agree though that on his day he is a class act, it juat with his age and injury record I feel the money could be better spent elsewhere.

It's another of those where some people are judging him on his injury record I think, but it's not like he's been in and out like Killen was (or like Errol Flynn as IC would no doubt say), he has had a couple of baddish injuries over 3 years and there's no particular reason to expect him to have them again. I'd be inclined to offer him another year, for sure on reduced wages, although I have a feeling that he isn't on as much as some might imagine, I think getting a three year deal was probably the trade off for not paying him top dollar. He could play 25 games for us next season and come off the bench, he is still a player who I think could make a real difference, as well as being a model pro to have around youngsters learning the positions he has played.

too limited to deserve another contract 2 trick poney can cross and take a pen. Cant do anything else - shouldnt get another contract

thought we were talking about becham there for a min, but then remembered that he can't take a pen :shock:

I don't do this just for the sake of dis-agreeing with you all you know :wink: .

For me, Lids has been the biggest miss of the season. I think we would be in a lot healthier position should we have had his services throughout.

In my mind the best footballer at the club, he oozes class and rarely gives the ball away, and even though his legs may have gone - if fit he would be the first name on the team sheet every week.

I don't care that he sometimes turns around and knocks a simple pass back when those in the stands are screaming for a 'hit and hope a-la Taylor' style cross, if he can't see a decent option he won't take the gamble that someone may just make it in there, he would rather we retain possession and start again and that suits my sensibilities. The ball is his friend and he treats it with some degree of respect as opposed to hoofing it half way to Shaw at the first sign of an opponent in his face.

He does the simple stuff well and when he is in the killer zone more often than not produces the goods.

All that said, I am worried about his future given the serious nature of his injuries. I think he is worth the chance of another year with an re-signing option if player and club agree - it will probably be on reduced terms too given his time on the sidelines.

I will be disappointed if he calls it a day with us, and with the emergence of Smalley on the right would like to think that a player of such talent with the ball at his feet may be able to replace Richie in the centre of the park. I suggested much the same thing when Wellens upped sticks to the Keepmoat on JKL.

KtF,

Derek.

I don't do this just for the sake of dis-agreeing with you all you know :wink: .

For me, Lids has been the biggest miss of the season. I think we would be in a lot healthier position should we have had his services throughout.

In my mind the best footballer at the club, he oozes class and rarely gives the ball away, and even though his legs may have gone - if fit he would be the first name on the team sheet every week.

I don't care that he sometimes turns around and knocks a simple pass back when those in the stands are screaming for a 'hit and hope a-la Taylor' style cross, if he can't see a decent option he won't take the gamble that someone may just make it in there, he would rather we retain possession and start again and that suits my sensibilities. The ball is his friend and he treats it with some degree of respect as opposed to hoofing it half way to Shaw at the first sign of an opponent in his face.

He does the simple stuff well and when he is in the killer zone more often than not produces the goods.

All that said, I am worried about his future given the serious nature of his injuries. I think he is worth the chance of another year with an re-signing option if player and club agree - it will probably be on reduced terms too given his time on the sidelines.

I will be disappointed if he calls it a day with us, and with the emergence of Smalley on the right would like to think that a player of such talent with the ball at his feet may be able to replace Richie in the centre of the park. I suggested much the same thing when Wellens upped sticks to the Keepmoat on JKL.

KtF,

Derek.

Yeah good stuff. Basically there is always room for classy veterans, even more so with such a youthful squad.

Lidds in the middle? Hmmm.....in a five maybe? He would be effective behind a front two, as BB80 said. Didnt he play their pre-season?

Myself I think he will be on his way come summer. :disappointed:

Give the lad a year ext. His experience is vital.

Not sure, I don't think he can be the same player after his injuries and for me he would have to prove his fitness in the last few games of the season.

Having said that who have we got to replace him...if only Chris Taylor had his football brain we'd have a hell of a footballer on our hands!!

Perhaps he could still do it as Sheridan was OK on dodgy knees for a couple of seasons, but I would like to see him play just behind the strikers where I think he'd be more of a threat.

Having said that who have we got to replace him...

Even if not Taylor, Smalley's shown how he can play RW and today he was superb in it. Between him and Taylor on the left, they streched the back line all over and allowed Lewis and Leon to play central roles....something Davies hasn't had much benefit of this season with the complete imbalance we've had at times this season.

Not sure, I don't think he can be the same player after his injuries and for me he would have to prove his fitness in the last few games of the season.

Having said that who have we got to replace him...if only Chris Taylor had his football brain we'd have a hell of a footballer on our hands!!

Perhaps he could still do it as Sheridan was OK on dodgy knees for a couple of seasons, but I would like to see him play just behind the strikers where I think he'd be more of a threat.

I think a mix of Lids and Smalley down the right next season. I don't think Taylor is the answer, tho a useful player for us to have in the squad, i think Smalley has more potential he just seems to lack a bit of confidence in himself at times