Season Ticket Holders

While I sympathise with many of the above comments and I have been in the position of being unemployed and having to miss Athletic home matches due to lack of cash, supporting your team should be like a marriage (through good and bad times). I admit this is probably the worst home season since 1968/69 but I would still be gutted if I could not go to BP for every home game.

45 seasons and still keeping the faith

Personally I see it as more like being a parent - some parents just turn up for the school play or the awards ceremony, and don't bother with the day in day out stuff. Everton away in the cup but not Crewe or Donny at home, Huddersfield in the cup but not Brighton or Carlisle in the league.

As regards the season, is it really the worst since 68/69, given that in the last 5 years we've had to escape relegation on the last day and we're currently 11th? Or is it just that after last season we all had raised expectations, leading to dissappointment at the lack of any progression?

I know what you mean. I have been promising my 5 year old daughter that I would take her all season, but I want her to enjoy the experience, and I can't see that being the case.

Also, I too sit in the lower main stand, and I wouldn't want any newcomer to have to put up with the likes of me and my mates! (Moans, abuse, endless farting and coarse comments - I'd rather not admit which of those I'm responsible for!).

It's an interesting one mate but what I've found is that kids see things totally different to us adults.

This season has been the one that has really confirmed my 3 lads (8;6 and 4) as dyed-in-the-wool Latics fans. The football hasn't been great but it has been the sense of belonging that has been key. They came on the March and then watched the abject performance where we drew at home with Port Vale. It didn't matter as they loved the entire day. Also took them to Donny in the JPT where we lost 3 nil. We were gash and one of my boys got hit in the face by the ball but to this day they still talk about their time with Chaddy The Owl and meeting the likes of Richie (wardlelatic) and Terry (Diego) plus others. They also know loads of other people and perhaps I'm lucky in that the people I watch the games with are happy to chat with my boys and make them feel part of the occasion.

They've seen other poor performances too but then there is the joy from games at Goodison or home to Yeovil and more recently, winning away at Port Vale although only my eldest came to that one.

What I try to do is not focus on the football but try to make the whole day a bit of a package. For us, we have to travel anyway so it tends to be an event. Maybe consider things like Boundary Blues etc and don't underestimate the significance that Chaddy The Owl can have on your kids.

Good luck in getting the youngsters to watch Latics. It isn't easy and it certainly isn't cheap if you are making a day of it but the rewards that you will feel when you hear them singing Latics songs and telling you their favourite player - or simply asking when they can next go to watch Oldham will be massive.

Like others I have seriously considered not renewing my 20-odd year season ticket next time.

It's not the money - It's about enjoying my hard earned weekend off.

I have watched Latics over 35 years because I like football and they are my local team - Always will be. However, this is the first time I have wished I was doing something else on a Saturday, and believe me, I have seen us field some poor sides.

It is more than likely that I will renew next season (In the annual hope that things have improved), but if I don't I will quite happily be a cock - because I will be a cock who is enjoying himself on the golf course and not sat there thinking what another waste of money this is.

I know a lot of fans who would go home and away every week with me, they have drifted away and no longer miss going to the games - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't miss it either at the moment.

The club have had many thousands out of me in tickets and sponsorships, and may possibly get plenty more - but the moment I feel I am not enjoying being there, and would rather do something more entertaining I will be happy to be labelled whatever any 'true supporter' wishes to call me.

I've heard so many people say they're not renewing season tickets next year. TTA are going to have to put a great offer out ( ala Bradford ) cos I really fear the worst next year.

Our little forray in the premiership hasn't helped as it raised everybodys expectations at the club and that one day we could possibly return.....sadly it ain't gonna happen, football has changed so much since then and saturation coverage on the telly prevents us getting new blood through the turnstiles.

I looked around the lookers upper on tuesday night.....there are a lot of pensioners in there and who's going to replace them when they've gone. How many clubs have gone into administration lately?

The club have to act now and get youngsters interested in the club, otherwise the second and third divisions will quickly become a thing of the past!!!!!l

Season ticket holder and I would not mind one bit if they let people in for free. Also should we play like we did this Tuesday on Saturday then I will not be attending against Bournemouth as while i have paid for it, I'm not sure i will enjoy it :ohno:

I've heard so many people say they're not renewing season tickets next year. TTA are going to have to put a great offer out ( ala Bradford ) cos I really fear the worst next year.

I will buy a season ticket as long as they don't put the prices up again. Doing similar to Bradford would be a good idea but i can't see TTA reducing the prices that much. Perhaps an idea similar to Burnley, anyone who bought a season ticket this season would have got a free season ticket next season should they get promoted, perhaps we could offer a reduced rate for the 09/10 season for anyone who buys a season ticket for next season

It's an interesting one mate but what I've found is that kids see things totally different to us adults.

Good luck in getting the youngsters to watch Latics.

Cheers Inspiral, When I think back to my dad taking me for the first time I agree it wasn't so much the football as the atmosphere and experience.

I'd love it if my young 'un could run around at the back of the RRE like I did, but like you say, at least there's Chaddy's antics to keep her amused.

I'll have to make the effort this season to keep family tradition up.

Its like a stuck record COCO you claimed to be returning this seasons at the start but then claimed you are first in line to buy, now "I don't think....." come on its hard being a tic supporter but .................after our "Punch me in the Stomach" season next will be better..............cough.........we need your money coco.

I never siad I was returning my season ticket after Hughes signed, I said I considered it like alot of people did.

Kids for free works for me.

No-one would begrudge it (I don't think), and bully for them if they did.

Clubs like ours have to go for the community angle, and what better way of building some support in the local community than to have all the kids at the local schools coming to BP on a Saturday.

Edited by oafcmetty

I'm a season ticket and struggle because of my location to get to night games at BP.

I purchase the ticket because I want the club to have the money regardless of whether i can get there(though I do see 90% of Saturday games). The club needs the money to move forward. This is my commitment to support the club though I am aware that others may struggle to support the club in this way and support in other ways.

If the club can raise incremental funds by allowing one off supporters in on the day of the game for £5 or however much and it creates a better atmosphere then it should be encouraged and is a "no brainer" really.

Just my opinion

Very possibly the only thing that would stop me renewing my season ticket would be emigration to another continent.

But I won't be complaining at those who might decide not to. Entirely their choice, for entirely their reasons. When we finally sort it out on the pitch, they'll hopefully return.

P.S. Oh, and by the way, I have absolutely no qualms about any initiatives the club launch to attract fans. I'm not one of those bitter ST holders who works out exactly how many pence I've lost out by...

Edited by garcon

Kids for free works for me.

No-one would begrudge it (I don't think), and bully for them if they did.

Clubs like ours have to go for the community angle, and what better way of building some support in the local community than to have all the kids at the local schools coming to BP on a Saturday.

It wasn't advertised but when I got to the turnstiles with my eldest on Saturday, a very helpful lady steward pointed us in the direction of the Ticket Office. By me buying a match ticket there, I was given a free one for an under 9 year old (and so saved £9).

I said it was a fantastic idea and the people in the ticket office said it was an initiative to attract as many young fans as possible to Port Vale's home matches.

Because of where I have my ST at Boundary Park, it costs me £27 to take my kids (assuming that I buy in advance otherwise it is £33). Now that they are wanting to go to more games, I will probably buy them Season Tickets themselves in future however I realise that to do this, I'll have to move out of the Main Stand. I've always avoided The Lookers since while it is branded the family stand, the atmosphere really isn't great for young children in my opinion. The Chaddy for me has not been the same since the seats were put in and I prefer the higher view from the side of the pitch as you can see more of the game.

Next year will be interesting. Clearly home capacity will be down significantly and if we do have a succesful Season, then I can see ticketing becoming a real problem particularly the local derbies against teams with a decent away following.

By me buying a match ticket there, I was given a free one for an under 9 year old (and so saved £9).

And this is why I get annoyed at the club....as I've said, TTA won't do any cut-price league games anymore IMO (ain't that I don't want them to as an ST holder, just I can't see them doing it) as for the guy paying £20, they need another 3 people before they start breaking even. However, the club really could help themselves.....if anyone should know about such a "free ticket" offer such as the one you got recently, it would be you! As you're fairly on the ball about club news and know people within......if you don't know about the offer, how is anyone else going to??? Worse still.....the general belief is that it is £20 to get into the ground all over.....when (correct me if I'm wrong) the Lookers lower is £14 if bought before matchday. In an age where advertising uses the word "from" when advertising prices for products.....why the hell don't we promote the club as "come and watch the Latics from as little as £14"....

Third of all....again....I'm banging this drum about promoting our next home game, around the ground. I've heard the arguments for not being able to promote it at the top of Sheepfoot Lane (which stilll doesn't wash with me) but even still...I was thinking about the number of people who use Sheepfoot Lane as an access route from the B&Q side up to Rochdale Road. When they get to the roundabout to turn right up the hill....there's a great big :censored:ing floodlight there.....stick a bloody banner on it or something with our next home game on it...."from £14....and buy a ticket and get a child's ticket free!"

Sorry, but this is plain and simple stuff.....you don't even need a Bob Gorrill for that!!! Jesus wept!!!

if anyone should know about such a "free ticket" offer such as the one you got recently, it would be you! As you're fairly on the ball about club news and know people within......if you don't know about the offer, how is anyone else going to???

I think this was at Vale Park bb

I think this was at Vale Park bb

You are right there Metty and it was at Vale Park but I'm not going to let facts get in the way of a good BB80 rant! :grin:

Seriously, I agree with much of what he's said there. I've read a couple of days worth of posts this morning on here and I've seen "£20 is far too much" quoted umpteen times. I pointed out last week that it is only £14 and for the only game this Season where we have approached a full house, it was the £14 areas that were half-empty.

As BB80 says, we need to advertise this (and other stuff - ie matches) a bit more and also, do more for the random kids. The £50 for a ST offer is fantastic but we also need to consider the children who may come to odd matches and perhaps want to sit with friends or relatives in Stands other than The Chaddy and parts of The Lookers where it is only £3 for U-12s.

As I've said earlier though, maybe the reduced capacity next Season will solve more problems than it creates.