Stam...time to step up to the plate....

One of the saddest things for me this season is the demise of Stam. I know some have never rated him. Personally, he's been one of my favourite players over the years (when fit and played at CB) but he has now become an utter shadow of himself and last night, I even finally thought how he looked as effective as Branston (all action, but invited pressure on us endlessly) once was......every clearance was a hoof clear right back to a Monkey Hangers shirt that invited pressure back on us. He ain't the only one who did it, but he's been the only one doing it for a while now. Fouls have crept into his game badly too. Gutted to see him go that way.....but Branston was gash and Stam's going that way too. Am I right in thinking his contract's up at the end of this season? Can't see him getting another at present :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Stam has been abysmal for quite some time now - esecially away from home, I cannot see him getting a new deal, average, consistent CB's are 10-a-penny at this level...

To be honest, I am bloomin scared at the moment every time the ball goes near him... as I think are Hazell and eards as they are always covering for him...

I'm at the point where I would rather see Thompson in the side for saturday.... perhaps he can show against the bin-dippers why he was so highly rated by them.... to be honest, he cant be any worse thn stam - and I cant remember him ever playing with Hazell... who could make anyone look like a decent player.....

I've been gutted with Stam's recent form. On his day, with his confidence up and his fitness fine, then Stam looks a classy CB, poss too good for this division. On a bad day (of which he's had for the lions share of this year, Everton and Carlisle excepting) he is an error prone accident waiting to happen.

Personally, its obvious that when Gregan is back, Stam will be the one to make way for el capitano - leaving a promising CB duo of Ruuuubes & Gregan, we only saw a brief glipse of this before Greegs got crocked, but for me it the best on paper we can put out now!

I doubt Stammy will be offere terms at the end of the season - his poor form & awful injury record will have seen to that i think

Stam has been abysmal for quite some time now - esecially away from home, I cannot see him getting a new deal, average, consistent CB's are 10-a-penny at this level...

Quite. Especially when you consider we got Hazell, discarded by a relegated team and unwanted by someone in the division below, on a freemans. Another version of him would be perfect.

Actually, a fully fit Gregan and Hazell would make a quality partnership.

Stam's had his time now. Shows the odd bit of quality and nice touches but far too inconsistant and prone to fatal error.

I think it's a bit harsh to describe it as "the demise" of Stam.

He did step up to the plate, and coincidence or not he's managed to stay fit at an absolutely crucial time. I think he's done ok. Maybe he 'over-performed' a little to begin with - the adrenaline of finally getting a chance. What we're seeing now (give or take the effects of recent poor team form) is the standard Stam can play at week in, week out. And I still say at 3rd division he's pretty good - although he does scare me stupid at least once or twice a game.

We haven't witnessed the "demise" of Stam. We've witnessed the reality of his actual ability after a decent run in the side versus the myth of the "Super Stam" built up by his fans based on a few rare glimpses between injuries.

Actually, a fully fit Gregan and Hazell would make a quality partnership.

We saw this partnership for about 3 or 4 games before greegs got injured at Donny... at it was pretty imperious, easily the best CB pairing we have had this season, including anything with Trotters... walsall away was a great example - 3-0, totally dominated.... Greegs and Hazell just battered them - gregan with his strength and experience, and Hazell mopping up the pieces...

Hope to see it on saturday.... The Big G can put that little runt Moore (jr) int he stand in the first 5 minutes.... as big Ron would say "The big man has brought out the Reducer" ... the perfect first 5 minute tackle...

Hazell can get a bit of kip mthen... whilst marking the incredible talents of Zola out of the game...

There is nothing wrong with our defense its up top and in the midfield where things are going wrong. I agree Stam hasnt been as good as he used to be but i dont think he is playing as bad as some people believe, if we beating teams 3-1 2-1 etc rather than losing 1-0 would we even be talking about defensive frailties despite letting in the same amount of goals? The defence this season has stood up well - its the other areas we have been lacking in mainly in Midfield IMO where we have failed to dominate games.

Wolfy & Lomax both made debuts 03/04 season didn't they? Stam was 04/05 IIRC.

According to soccerbase:

15-11-2003 Matthew Wolfenden

07-05-2004 Kelvin Lomax

15-02-2005 Stefan Stam

05-07-2007 Mark Allott (and 01-08-1995 - 20-02-2002)

Where the date given is date joined the club. No idea if that means debut, or whether the player was professional at the time.

Guest oa_exile
According to soccerbase:

15-02-2005 Stefan Stam

Where the date given is date joined the club. No idea if that means debut, or whether the player was professional at the time.

Made his debut on 19.02.05 V's Stockport County.

>>MEN<<

Latics’ Stam swoop 16/ 2/2005

LATICS have signed giant Dutch defender Stefan Stam for the rest of the season.

The 25-year-old ex-PSV Eindhoven stopper impressed during a recent trial and will bring experience to Brian Talbot's youthful backline.

A former Dutch under-21 international who has played with Mateja Kezman and Ruud van Nistelrooy, he can play-centre-half or at left-back.

I'm at the point where I would rather see Thompson in the side for saturday....

Jesus....he's gone downhill but :censored: me, he ain't that bad!!! :wink:

I know I compared Stam to Branston on the other nights performance but that was the once. When you talk about Thompson, for me, he goes into the bottom of the barrel list of Arber and Lord-Kanaga....with Branston sedimenting slightly on top of those 3.....Stam's gone downhill but not that far.

I demand you wash your mouth out and clean your keyboard while you're at it! I'll be gutted to see the day Thompson takes the shirt of Stam, no matter how bad Stam gets....he'll never be that bad!

According to soccerbase:

15-11-2003 Matthew Wolfenden

07-05-2004 Kelvin Lomax

15-02-2005 Stefan Stam

05-07-2007 Mark Allott (and 01-08-1995 - 20-02-2002)

Wolfy's debut (I think) was the QPR game (19/12/03) after Dowie left. Lol...longest serving member and yet some still want him to be "given his chance"....that's an incredible stat!

Over 4 years at the club and how many starts. Why didn't they just release hi mas a youth?

Ut's funny how someone can be good enough for the squad but not good enough to play. Ever.

You're not getting this, are you? He isn't good enough for the squad...he's there as we've got no Hughes, Davies, now Robertson etc....once they come back, he'll be nowhere near it at all as thankfully, Lewis and Smalley are ahead....after just a handful of months coz they've proved they're worth being higher in the pecking order and will bench warm once Hughes and Davies resumes. Wolfy can carry on at the level he's good enough for....the reserves (if he can get in there, with Smally and Lewis playing in them once they bench warm for the 1st team.)

Anyway....roll on season 2013/14 - so you get to see Wolfenden's testimonial :grin:

Wolfy's debut (I think) was the QPR game (19/12/03) after Dowie left. Lol...longest serving member and yet some still want him to be "given his chance"....that's an incredible stat!

Jesus i didn't even realise he's been here that long. I'm not sure wht to make of Wolfy, he's come on and scored a couple of goals here and there but he hasn't really been given an opportunity to prove himslef.

Me thinks that he's probably porked Shez's Missus or something coz he obvisouly doesn't like him.

You would also have to ask about his desire to play football....to be on the fringes of the first team for that long and not get any kind of a look in with younger kids going ahead in the pecking order, it must be soul destroying.

On one hand i feel sorry for him but on the other i have to keep faith in Shez and he obvisouly doesn't see him being imporant. If that is the answer then why the hell was he given a 2 year contract in the summer?