Stam...time to step up to the plate....

You're not getting this, are you? He isn't good enough for the squad...he's there as we've got no Hughes, Davies, now Robertson etc....once they come back, he'll be nowhere near it at all as thankfully, Lewis and Smalley are ahead....after just a handful of months coz they've proved they're worth being higher in the pecking order and will bench warm once Hughes and Davies resumes. Wolfy can carry on at the level he's good enough for....the reserves (if he can get in there, with Smally and Lewis playing in them once they bench warm for the 1st team.)

Anyway....roll on season 2013/14 - so you get to see Wolfenden's testimonial :grin:

He clearly is good enough for the squad otherwise he wouldn't be in it for 4 years! We never have to rely on Wolfenden because when we get injuries we always bring someone else in on loan. In 4 years he's deserved a spell in the first team....he hasn't got it....how can anyone judge him as not good enough when we haven't seen anything from him and what we have seen looks decent and warrants a start.

I think in regards to Stam he should be given one more year. I know he's not been playing brilliantly recently but look at what happened last year when a fair few of our players lost form towards the end of the season after appearing from the very start.

What I'm trying to say is that this wasn't the case with Stam and you have to bear in mind that he was thrust back into the side, maybe a bit too early, because Hazell picked up a knock and if I remember rightly this was a very short time after he got back from Amsterdam when injured.

I just think he atleast deserves one more crack next season after pre-season training and hopefully, not getting interrupted by injury and if he doesn't improve then get rid.

what we have seen looks decent and warrants a start.

Because that, my friend, is where we disagree! And is the crux of it....for 4yrs! What I've seen of him has never warranted a start and thankfully, other managers in 4yrs agree. He's come on once (in 25 appearances) and turned around a game for us. And that was down to some of the worst defending I've ever seen as Crewe decided not to mark a 5ft nothing guy after being touch tight on Ricketts.

Adios Maradonna!....Good luck at Farsley Celtic or wherever....you'll no doubt be a hit!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Jesus....he's gone downhill but :censored: me, he ain't that bad!!! :wink:

I know I compared Stam to Branston on the other nights performance but that was the once. When you talk about Thompson, for me, he goes into the bottom of the barrel list of Arber and Lord-Kanaga....with Branston sedimenting slightly on top of those 3.....Stam's gone downhill but not that far.

I demand you wash your mouth out and clean your keyboard while you're at it! I'll be gutted to see the day Thompson takes the shirt of Stam, no matter how bad Stam gets....he'll never be that bad!

Until his injury last season he had been a class apart. Unfortunately I just think its one injury too many, he started pre-season late too IIRC, however he'd be uesful as back-up but if Greegs proves his fitness he's back in and regains the armband.

I know this thread is about Stam, but to the people who say Wolfy's had enough time to prove himself coz he's been here 4 years, what are you talking about?? The only reason he made his debut back in 03/04 was because we had absolutely no-one else due to the state we were in! He was only 16 ffs! 04/05 and 05/06 he barely made any of the squads because in 04/05 we had more senior players ahead of him and in 05/06 you'd be kidding yourselves if you would expect someone of his build to be getting in a Ronnie Moore team!

He's only had a realistic chance of making the 1st team in the last two seasons, last year he barely got a look in because of Porter and this year (slightly unfairly imo) because of Davies being 1st choice. I'm not saying he's good enough to be in the 1st XI and the fact that Alessandra and Smalley have overtaken him by offering more overall to the team doesn't help his case. But he's only had about a season and a half to prove himself and I think if he had more of a chance to play with Hughes we would have seen the best of him.

Back on topic, if we can keep Stam on reasonable back up wage for next season we should, but Gregan and Hazell should be our first choice pairing.

I know this thread is about Stam, but to the people who say Wolfy's had enough time to prove himself coz he's been here 4 years, what are you talking about?? The only reason he made his debut back in 03/04 was because we had absolutely no-one else due to the state we were in! He was only 16 ffs! 04/05 and 05/06 he barely made any of the squads because in 04/05 we had more senior players ahead of him and in 05/06 you'd be kidding yourselves if you would expect someone of his build to be getting in a Ronnie Moore team!

He's only had a realistic chance of making the 1st team in the last two seasons, last year he barely got a look in because of Porter and this year (slightly unfairly imo) because of Davies being 1st choice. I'm not saying he's good enough to be in the 1st XI and the fact that Alessandra and Smalley have overtaken him by offering more overall to the team doesn't help his case. But he's only had about a season and a half to prove himself and I think if he had more of a chance to play with Hughes we would have seen the best of him.

Back on topic, if we can keep Stam on reasonable back up wage for next season we should, but Gregan and Hazell should be our first choice pairing.

Not enough has been seen of him to push him through as a first teamer....unlike the case over the years with the likes of Haining, Taylor, Eardley etc who always were called upon through injuries, got thrown in and actually looked capable of surviving. Wolfenden never has when called upon. Hence he's not stayed close to the fringes once the injured players (that brought him nearer to the first team) came back into thje first team. If he was good enough, he'd be making it difficult for managers not to give him more opportunities but he never has been able to. That's how a youth, reserve, breaking into the 1st team works....Barlow, Hall, J.Taylor, Boshell etc.....a few names who also haven't made the grade ala Wolfenden. And they didn't get 4yrs (Hall excepted maybe) to try and break through. As said, best for both parties to wave goodbye now.