Where will we finish?

oafckev

Where will we Finish?  

172 members have voted

1. 1. 10 Games to, where will Latics finish?

• Auto
    • Play Offs
    • Just miss out
    • Never really pose a threat to top 6

Me personally would think that were going to just miss out as I don't think were good enough to make it. Hope I'm wrong though..

Totally agree.. think we will continue to be inconsistent.... then win our last three or four games when we have our full squad back and just miss out... leaving us full of the dissapointment but blind optimism which characterises being a latics fan...

... would be hilarious if we scraped in there though... just as we get our full team back... but cant see it happening....

Ask me another our next two games Bounemouth and Luton if we win them then play-offs but if we do not start winning back to back games its not going to happen. Think we will just miss the play-offs even if we do make the play-offs then we will go up probably not. Not good enough as last year.

over the course of the season we have won one game every 2.76 matches (1.38 points a game)

over the last ten games we have won exactly half our matches (1.6 points a game)

if we are to continue in the same form we have all season, we will finish with 64 points, not good enough for a play-off spot

if we are to continue in the same form we have over the last 10 games, we will finish with 66 points, not good enough for a play off spot.

no matter which way you look at it, even with what is shown in the stats as a slight improvement in form over the last ten games, it will take a much greater effort to reach the play-offs. i would say 72 is the minimum required for the play-offs, meaning we can only afford to drop 8 points.

just to show the vast improvement needed, we need to win 6, draw four in the next ten games, compared to win 5 draw 1 in our previous ten games.

in all honesty i dont think it is realistic, but until it is impossible i will, as ever, keep the faith

I'm still very, very happy with the following.....

Sept 21st

Nope...happy with what I've previously written on here and on ISZ.com...

July 13th

Not done the actual votey thing coz I wanted to put top 10. Due to the massive number of gambles we've brought in, I'm undecided if we'll be good enough for promotion, playoffs or 7th-10th but I think we'll do better than "mid-table" so I'll stick with my unpolled option of top 10

7th Aug

I wasn't as confident as some appear, as only on paper do we look to have assembled a very handy squad. However, having seen 4 of the 5 friendlies we've played (listened to the other) the attack looks like it will work, even whilst we do have the small problem of no midfield playmaker. That speaks volumes for me....coz over the years, we've felt we've had a midfield for the job and just no-one to put the ball in the net. Last year, Porter did it and now, Davies looks a replacement who can emulate Porter easily. Add to that, Ricketts has started very brightly and it's something major for us to build on. My confidence has risen.....but I like to keep a reality check on things and again, playoffs in the first season of a fairly brand new squad would be a major achievement. Top 10 would be success.

Over-confident, us? Only in small areas, here and there!

8th Aug

Should we start off poorly and start bemoaning what this squad "should" be doing, the next thing that will happen will be the chanting for Shez's head. Let's be realistic about it all....if we make the top 10, it's great stuff and even better if we reach the playoffs. On paper....we should easily reach the playoffs.....but we don't play on paper and I don't want to be calling for a managers head if it's not quite gelling for us this season. But we've seen it all before, haven't we? The majority can get all over-excited and then turn nasty again if it ain't working! If that's what they want. On paper we could pi$$ it...in a month or two, we might be doing it on grass and then I'll probably state that we can achieve promotion and that not making the playoffs would be poor if we've started very well. But as things stand, today, August 8th, the top ten will be an acceptable finish with a new squad which has more gambles in it than Paul Merson!

well the good news is that due to the fixtures left we are now mathematically safe. :grin:

In my usual opimistic way using the bbc predictor I've got us sneaking a playoff place in 6th - on 72 points. However that is mostly due to the run-in we have on paper - I think more realistically we are looking at around 8th/9th 66-68 points. And even that is dependant on getting the likes of greegs, lids, hughes and davies back.

i have voted 'never pose a threat'

simply because that unless the BBC are telling fibs, the teams above us that ar also fighting for the play-offs pretty much all have at least a game in hand on us....

i also think that we are only really looking at 5/6 places too... anything above that is a pipe dream!

we really need to watch below too, as one or two are within a win or so from taking our current place in the league!

5 Walsall 35 6 7 4 20 16 8 6 4 22 13 13 55

6 Southend 35 10 2 5 28 16 6 4 8 27 31 8 54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Leeds 35 12 3 3 33 13 8 5 4 22 16 26 53

8 Tranmere 36 9 4 5 24 14 5 6 7 16 21 5 52

9 Oldham 36 6 6 6 21 18 7 5 6 21 15 9 50

10 Northampton 36 8 6 4 27 15 5 5 8 17 27 2 50

11 Leyton Orient 36 7 5 6 21 21 6 6 6 19 25 -6 50

12 Brighton 34 9 6 3 30 19 4 4 8 14 19 6 49

13 Swindon 35 9 4 5 28 20 3 7 7 17 23 2 47

IMHO we could end up anywhere below the line!!

Edited by thetramdriver

I hope we just miss out,because if we do get in the lottery,and play forest or leeds or donny we will beat em.

BUT we would be embarassed in the championship next season.

We have had a good season winning away at Bindippers,Leeds,and the we never win there Port Vale,and also Everton.So we spend the Trotters money well in the summer and next season we are coming back all guns blazing.....

the fixtures are there are the play-offs are a distinct possibilty

southend have to play: forest, swansea, swindon, walsall, brighton, carlisle, and tranmere

walsall have to play: brighton, forest, leeds, southend, tranmere

leeds have to play, walsall, brighton, donny, carlisle

not over just yet

We'll make the play-offs. I've never been more confident!!

It was a great footballing weekend.

Latics won. Chonburi won, and went to the top of the league. U*d and Th*ksin Town both lost. And, two of my best mates teams, Cardiff and West Brom, made it into the FA Cup semi finals.

Sometimes football is a great game!!

We'll make the play-offs. I've never been more confident!!

It was a great footballing weekend.

Latics won. Chonburi won, and went to the top of the league. U*d and Th*ksin Town both lost. And, two of my best mates teams, Cardiff and West Brom, made it into the FA Cup semi finals.

Sometimes football is a great game!!

Burton Albion won as well :D

Burton Albion won as well :D

Stalyvegas marched on too! :grin: They avenged the FA Cup 5-0 loss at home to Workington by beating them 3-0 in the league. At a lower level, I do see Stalybridge a bit like us....no doubt we'll go on to avenge our FA Cup demise later on this season when Uddersfield visit. I just hope they don't blow their own playoff chances later this week in their biggest week and test so far....play Alfreton Town on Tuesday (should win that, but like us, be typical if they blew it) and then go to the one of the best home records in the divison vs playoff rivals Southport on Saturday. Fingers crossed they can make it!

I ticked the last option - in my opinion we are just too inconsistent at present to put a run together (not helped by the need to change the starting line-up a lot due to injuries etc).

I think we will finish around 4 pts off sixth, close enough to keep our interest but never really getting in genuine contention (this is the reason the Play-ofs is the single greatest change to football rules - a team as average as us can still hope even this late on). Though the 4 pts could mean 10th place.

Only slight possibility is the fact the League One final clashes with family wedding - would be typical that we make it through to our first play-off final...

But I am confident that I'll be OK.