Oooh Did we win then!

So let me get this straight, it's fine for the manager to abuse the players but out of oder when the paying supporters do?

Oh and this is the perfect example of someone being jumped on for not sharing the happy clappy views, Terrys raised

some valid points.

Yes Coco, it does make a difference who the person is that is saying something to you. Isn't that obvious?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Sheridan loses it on the touch line cos he feels the pressure. Pressure brought onto himself cos he knows what he wants but sometimes doesnt know how to get it. Which actually means he's as frustrated with himself as he is with the players. Shez has admitted it many times in interviews if you care to go back through them all.

Yep .. i mean he`s probably stood there thinking i could have done that alot better when a pass goes astray etc ... hes got such high standards he just wants the players to try and reach similar ones ... its pure hunger to win and succeed .. id be pretty miffed off if he didnt get on there back .... Imagine Shez being Sven`esque <_<

Edited by kellys_discopants

3-1 win.....yet people think he was doing something wrong ? And im expected to respect that sort of opinion ?? Im sorry but if someone makes a good point backed up with evidence to prove it I will respect it....if they dont....I wont accept it...

To say that Shez had a negative impact on his players during a 3-1 win lacks evidence in my book....and I cant respect the point of view on offer....

Edited by oafc0000

3-1 win.....yet people think he was doing something wrong ? And im expected to respect that sort of opinion ?? Im sorry but if someone makes a good point backed up with evidence to prove it I will respect it....if they dont....I wont accept it...

To say that Shez had a negative impact on his players during a 3-1 win lacks evidence in my book....and I cant respect the point of view on offer....

An opinion dosent need evidence hence why its an opinion. If hed have said he had a negative impact .. fact ... then maybe.

Yep .. i mean he`s probably stood there thinking i could have done that alot better when a pass goes astray etc ... hes got such high standards he just wants the players to try and reach similar ones ... its pure hunger to win and succeed .. id be pretty miffed off if he didnt get on there back .... Imagine Shez being Sven`esque <_<

It doesnt mean it's good management thou....could also mean he hasn't the ability or nounce to get what he wants from his players. Shez in a recent interview as stated again (like same time last season) he now knows what players he needs to bring in. I like Shez and want him to remain manager (for now) however next season he must deliver not better football, cos like he said on LW in patches it;s been there. So next season he must deliver consistant patches so the patches merge.....does that mean there will be no patches? WTF am on about????

OK thats a good point. Now talk me through the recent defeats where Shez does exactly the same.

Well that my friend is were you are sadly mistaken. Freedom of speech and all. Right or wrong people are allowed to have their opinion without fear of being verbally attacked. By all means disagree but that is were is should end. Personal insults and put-downs are out of order. You should respect people.

Good managers lose matches, bad managers win matches. I don't think you can invalidate criticism of Shez's man management style just because we won yesterday, if anything it takes more balls to make that point after a good result than when we have lost and there is more anti-Shez sentiment around. I don't agree with Terry but I can see where he's coming from.

Maybe Terry is a victim of his own lack of tact.

If his post had merely asked "Do you think Shez might get more out of his players by encouragement rather than roastings?" then I think this debate may have been conducted more constuctively and less abusively.

However, as someone who sits just to the side of our dugout, I can confirm that a number of fans did suggest Shez gave Lewis a pat on the back (He normally doesn't acknowledge subbed players immediately), and there were indeed a number of fans disappointed with some of the things said to players during the game.

If this is Sheridans style - so be it. It is up to him to prove it's a style that works. I am of the opinion that well timed encouragement works wonders, but that is all it is - an opinion.

Let's not slag Terry off for having an opinion, even if it seems ill-timed after a great victory - it is more interesting reading than a 'Weren't we brilliant?' topic, and should have produced some healthy debate had it been understood better.

Well that my friend is were you are sadly mistaken. Freedom of speech and all. Right or wrong people are allowed to have their opinion without fear of being verbally attacked. By all means disagree but that is were is should end. Personal insults and put-downs are out of order. You should respect people.

But it's his opinion (and mine too) that people should be able to denigrate what they see as an ill-formed opinion. Good grief, it'll end up like some sort of debating chamber where people are afraid to say what they think soon.

Perhaps we should start every post with "With respect, and without wishing to suggest that you are wrong, I think you are incorrect in what you say, however I do not wish to give the view that I disagree with you"????

Terry started on about people who disagreed with him not liking him having a different opinion. Surely he was the one doing that when people disagreed?

FWIW I think he's set off to wind people up with a pointed subject title. He's achieved it and then complained about it. Sometimes you reap what you sow.

Anyway, they are football players, not some middle management office staff. They can take it. And this whole subject was done to death when Billy Urmson was coach, even though numerous players stated how much respect thay had for him.

But it's his opinion (and mine too) that people should be able to denigrate what they see as an ill-formed opinion. Good grief, it'll end up like some sort of debating chamber where people are afraid to say what they think soon.

Perhaps we should start every post with "With respect, and without wishing to suggest that you are wrong, I think you are incorrect in what you say, however I do not wish to give the view that I disagree with you"????

Terry started on about people who disagreed with him not liking him having a different opinion. Surely he was the one doing that when people disagreed?

FWIW I think he's set off to wind people up with a pointed subject title. He's achieved it and then complained about it. Sometimes you reap what you sow.

Anyway, they are football players, not some middle management office staff. They can take it. And this whole subject was done to death when Billy Urmson was coach, even though numerous players stated how much respect thay had for him.

I think you should try reading my post next time instead of twisting it to suit your means. cheers

I disagree that Terry initially disagreed, thereby causing people to disagree with his disagreeable post. I agree with his general disagreement though (I think?)

Anyone disagree? :D

I think you should try reading my post next time instead of twisting it to suit your means. cheers

What do you mean by "twisting" - that's a bit offensive. cheers?

No one has affected anyone's freedom of speech, but we don't all have to be pally friends. Besides, when terry made his "I belive in debate unlike some others on here", wasn't he have a pop at people? And no-one had had a pop at him at that point. A bit like making a false accusation?

And all this "verbally attacked" stuff - jesus you'd think people had been launching all sorts of names and insults at the poor sod. It's getting pathetic.

So shez calls a player a rude name - I call my mates all sorts of things when we're talking - I know them well enough that they can take it - perhaps shez knows the players just a little bit better than terry?

Balls to that, cant respect idiots....and I cant respect people with a axe to grind....

Shex got it right yesterday....if someone wants to still nick pick at him then I aint got time for it....

Terry, I know from your various comments on here that your views are at least partly based in your dislike for swearing. And if Shez's abuse is profane, loud, constant and easily heard by young fans nearby then there is an argument that you could quite rightly raise it, either with Shez directly or with the club.

However, that aside, surely you can appreciate that what you see of Shez on the touchline during a match (and to a degree the players' reactions) is but one part of his overall relationship with them. Most players and managers will tell you that it's what happens on the training pitch and in one to ones that really matters and that moulds relationships. The manager's balling from the touchline during a game rarely has much impact other than to make him feel better...

I know we have been inconsistent of late, but I simply do not believe a group of players who have lost faith in their manager could turn out the kind of performance they did on Saturday, especially Smalley and Alessandra who I thought both had probably their best game for the club.

Edited by garcon

Terry, I know from your various comments on here that your views are at least partly based in your dislike for swearing. And if Shez's abuse is profane, loud, constant and easily heard by young fans nearby then there is an argument that you could quite rightly raise it, either with Shez directly or with the club.

However, that aside, surely you can appreciate that what you see of Shez on the touchline during a match (and to a degree the players' reactions) is but one part of his overall relationship with them. Most players and managers will tell you that it's what happens on the training pitch and in one to ones that really matters and that moulds relationships. The manager's balling from the touchline during a game rarely has much impact other than to make him feel better...

I know we have been inconsistent of late, but I simply do not believe a group of players who have lost faith in their manager could turn out the kind of performance they did on Saturday, especially Smalley and Alessandra who I thought both had probably their best game for the club.

I think that is where the misunderstanding has started. I know there is a time and a place for swearing. I do not dislike or like it. I am neutral. My point is and always has been, the apparant lack (IMO) of man management skills on the part of Sheridan and Wright. I have posted this before and it led to some good debate. However when the likes of JP start slinging personal insults into the post without ever addressing the issue it does rankle slightly.

I accept that I am not party to the training sessions and there could be an excellent morale at the club. It just surprises me that there is no encouragement coming from the bench during the game. Do You think this is right?

I also apologise for the way I posted the issue. It is something I feel strongly about for the following reason. I think we have one of the best squads in the 1st Division. One well capable of holding it's own in the championship with a couple of additions. However we are struggling to make the playoffs. The same players go onto the park mostly and yet they put in performances like they did against Hartlepool before a performance like yesterdays. I honestly believe that a little encouragement from the bench last Tuesday night may have helped. However there was none.

I also agree that Smalley (after a shaky start) had probably his best game for the club and Lewis played well enough to deserve his goal. Another poster on this issue also said Sheridan had to prompted to shake Lewis' hand when he came off. What would you have done? I know I gave the lad a standing ovation. If that makes me a moaning whinging asshole then so be it.

Edited by happyterryb

Does anyone who thinks that Shez :censored: the players too much ever watch Sheridan as a player when he played for us? He constantly shouted and swore at those around him as a player when people were messing up and doing things wrong, i doubt hes going to change that now. He is passionate about the game and out team, i am sure some things get said in the heat of the moment, but id rather he puts the pressure on the team rather than continuously big them up. Praise should come after the jobs done, which it seems it has.

I think people should also remember Sheridan has managed the majority of our team at the youth or reserve? level so i would suggest he may know a bit more about how to get the best out of them than we do.

I know someone who had a good chat with one of the players recenltly and by all accounts they had nothing but praise for Shez.

I would like to add that this is not to say he has not made mistakes he is obviously still learning all the time, but the way he treats the players during the game is IMO not one of the areas he is going wrong.

I thought one of the best bits of man management on saturday was taking allessandra off with 5 mins to go to enable him to have the applaus of the whole ground on scoring his first senior goal.

Absolutely spot on. Something which appears to be missed entirely until now.

Just as the similarly "Man-Management-Challeged" Ronnie Moore did with Chris Taylor after his outstanding League debut.

Personally, I know where Terry is coming from and I agree with him on the rollickings issue particularly where it is simply a case of "stating the bleeding obvious". The thread would have been seen in an entirely different light had we lost. That said, the criticism aimed at Shez in view of not congratulating Lewis until prompted is misplaced.

Sheridan showed by subbing Lewis just what he thought of his excellent performance (giving the chance for the fans to give a standing ovation to him personally) and then showed professionalism by concentrating on the remainder of the match as opposed to a bit of unnecessary glad-handing.

Absolutely spot on. Something which appears to be missed entirely until now.

Just as the similarly "Man-Management-Challeged" Ronnie Moore did with Chris Taylor after his outstanding League debut.

Personally, I know where Terry is coming from and I agree with him on the rollickings issue particularly where it is simply a case of "stating the bleeding obvious". The thread would have been seen in an entirely different light had we lost. That said, the criticism aimed at Shez in view of not congratulating Lewis until prompted is misplaced.

Sheridan showed by subbing Lewis just what he thought of his excellent performance (giving the chance for the fans to give a standing ovation to him personally) and then showed professionalism by concentrating on the remainder of the match as opposed to a bit of unnecessary glad-handing.

Too right - btw what is 'glad-handing'? :rolleyes: