Racism(PCism) in Football

Football must act to avoid Racism charge.

The chairmen and owners of English football clubs have been warned that they risk being branded "a bunch of racists" if they do not take immediate action to address the startling lack of black managers in the national game.

"It's embarrassing and something is drastically wrong - the statistics don't lie," said Brendon Batson, the FA's consultant on equality and diversity. "I'm an optimistic person but there will come a time when we'll have to be more radical.

What's does more radical mean? - For me thats saying that they'll force clubs to employ a manager based purely on the colour of his skin just so they can put up a set of numbers that says we have X% ethnic managers in the UK.

What an absolute load of old tosh. Surely it boils down to the fact that if they're good enough then regardless of the colour of their skin, they'll get the job.

Edited by 3 Lions

Football must act to avoid Racism charge.

What's does more radical mean? - For me thats saying that they'll force clubs to employ a manager based purely on the colour of his skin just so they can put up a set of number that says we have X% ethnic managers in the UK.

What an absolute load of old tosh. Surely it boils down to the fact that if they're good enough then regardless of the colour of their skin, they'll get the job.

It is illegal to set a %age target for the ethnicity/sex/religion of a role.

Just to let you know....you arne't supposed to refer to someone of different ethnicity as 'coloured'. They are black/brown, as we are white. Many find coloured a derogatory term, as we are also 'coloured' and likewise they aren't exactly pink with yellow spots.

Don't shoot the messenger just another point of PCness for you :)

but in that itself, isn't it racist to asian people because surely they can do the same job as well as a white or black manager, and it's not making the headline! It's PC just going mental! Why not throw in a sexism charge aswell bacause there aren't any female managers.

But i agree, it''s nt about the colour of your skin, it's how you do the job. But, at the end of the day, in Britain, which is the most predominant skin colour? So surely, there is going to be a white majority. I bet that the Nigerian FA aren't being branded as racists because of the lack of white players/managers/chairperson etc. PC is on it's arse

I remember when a memo was sent around some of the OMBC offices saying that you could no longer call a Black pen a Black pen, but had to reffer to it as a 'None-white' pen! Somebody was paid to make that decision. Understandibly, it didn't catch on!

The thing is you will start to get BME managers as time carries on. It was a while before they were playing football at the top level in any real numbers so it only stands to reason that you have to wait until they reach the age/experience to become managers.

How many black managers are there?

I can only think if Paul Ince - Mk Dongs and Keith Alexander - Macclesfield.

It's total rubbish this. The reason that there are so few black managers in this country is there are more candidates with more experience and knowledge of the english game who are white. We all know for a fact that very few Asian people play football but it's on the increase.

I think there will be more black managers coming in to the game over the next few years, there are so few now because a lot of the managers in the country now were playing in the 80's and earlier where there wasn't a huge amount of black players playing in our game. As time goes on more and more black players will retire and look to step in to management and they will be given a chance i'm sure. You can't expect there to be many black or asian managers now as there wasn't as big of an amount as there are now.

To suggest this is due to racism that there aren't any now is stupid.

It is illegal to set a %age target for the ethnicity/sex/religion of a role.

Since when? What about 'positive discrimination' ? Basically meaning if you are from an ethnic minority that is under represented in a particular organisation or disabled you are guaranteed an interview for a position. This is often stated on the initial job advert.

How many black managers are there?

I can only think if Paul Ince - Mk Dongs and Keith Alexander - Macclesfield.

It's total rubbish this. The reason that there are so few black managers in this country is there are more candidates with more experience and knowledge of the english game who are white. We all know for a fact that very few Asian people play football but it's on the increase.

I think there will be more black managers coming in to the game over the next few years, there are so few now because a lot of the managers in the country now were playing in the 80's and earlier where there wasn't a huge amount of black players playing in our game. As time goes on more and more black players will retire and look to step in to management and they will be given a chance i'm sure. You can't expect there to be many black or asian managers now as there wasn't as big of an amount as there are now.

To suggest this is due to racism that there aren't any now is stupid.

Agree. There aren't as many black candidares out there, those that are, are often not good enough such as Carlton Palmer, Leroy Rosenior, John Barnes etc... on the other side of the coin Tigana was superb (although not English), Alexander has had a good lower league career. I would like to see more black managers in the game and i'm sure Ince will go all the way, but he needs to be given a chance. Hopefully the floodgates will open. Just a side note, why just Black managers? We have big eastern European, Oriental and Asian communities in England, why isn't the drum being banged for them both as players and managers/coaches? This isn't only a British problem.

The moment Guardian readers get involved in anything, things become complicated.

Edited by oafcprozac

Since when? What about 'positive discrimination' ? Basically meaning if you are from an ethnic minority that is under represented in a particular organisation or disabled you are guaranteed an interview for a position. This is often stated on the initial job advert.

Interview does not equal job!

Interview does not equal job!

Whenever Big Ron had that big on-air rant at Dessailly he said: "He's what's known in some schools as a lazy, thick [etc]"

By "some schools", I think he might have meant "chairmen". Let's not be blind to that element in footy, however stupid positive discrimination is.