The Chaddy End Smalley hate club.

Whats your problem with Smalley?

Theres a group of men behind me who cant wait to get on Smalley and the other youngsters back!!

Like they went mad at Lomax for having a shot but i tell you what if Davies would have done that it would be the best thing ever.

Also Smalley won countless headers in the box defending yet soon as he loses it they are on his back

The ironic cheers when he skins someone really boils my blood. Hes 18 FFS!!

Yet these are the ame people who moan when we have no width yet they jeer Smalley before he even puts a foot wrong.

Come on guys get it sorted if Lids was fit then Smalley would be developed from the bench but the facts are he has to play every game as we have nobody better !

I really hope you get off his back so he can produce perfomances like the Everton game!!

KTF (sorry to rant)

Ryan

they're not alone, theres plenty more around the ground who like to have a pop at our younger players, but i guess it's how they react when they are jealous that someone else has an opportunity that they are never likely to have because they could never hit a cows backside with a banjo when younger!!! :wink:

I don't rate Smalley at all, and he looks almost frightened as if he doesn't know where to stand or where he should be. Also, I seriously doubt that there were ironic cheers when he skinned someone, as I don't remember him skinning anyone since he played for us. I know our squad is thin and needs must, but I'll be surprised if he makes it as a full professional either with us or elsewhere.

I think he has played pretty well the last few games, he is admittidly prone to odd bad pass but there is far more experienced players in our 1st team who that could be labelled at. If you look at our flanks we have Lomax and Taylor one side and Eardley and Smalley on the other, they have chance to develop a real understanding together and become a vital long term part of our team so lets just give them a chance.

I've heard a few people have a go at Smalley too. He is a player i really rate, he has pace, power, can cross the ball, has a good shot, can beat his man and can play on either wing or up front. but he just seems to have no confidence in himself and sometimes stands back and waits instead of getting stuck in. I have noticed Shez and Wright have got more patient with him during games and give him more praise and encouragement recently. He has been forced to play a bigger part in the first team than Shez would have liked this season which has probably affected him slightly, first team football is very different to reserve/youth team football and it takes some players a while to adjust to it

I don't rate Smalley at all, and he looks almost frightened as if he doesn't know where to stand or where he should be. Also, I seriously doubt that there were ironic cheers when he skinned someone, as I don't remember him skinning anyone since he played for us. I know our squad is thin and needs must, but I'll be surprised if he makes it as a full professional either with us or elsewhere.

Did you go Everton??

he gaves Baines a Torrid time!!

Give the guy a chance ffs its his first season!

i was talking about this last night with a mate, he has great potential but........ one week he does very well like agaisnt tranmere and the next he looks a bit frightened and spends alot of time ball watching and not on his toes anticipating, he goes at his man alot and then stops, its not the end of the world if he gets tackled but he looks to scared to try half the time. i think this season has come a bit to soon for him and he needs to be coming of the bench rather than starting as many as he has (needs must) but shez needs to toughen him up and he needs to realise he is a big lad and can handle himself . a bit more aggreassion could see him go a long way

Yet again we have to raise the question - WTF does booing the players (individually especially) achieve? Especially the young ones, the ones who arent getting paid wads so are playing for the love of the game and to earn to right to get another year at the club - frikkin annoys me - so many cox at BP these days!

I presume you have been drunk at a lot of the games he has played or you have some sort of mental deformity as he regularly goes past his full back. I do agree that he looks rubbish up front but on the wing i think he has more potential than Taylor. Knowing where to stand and where he should be (is that not the same thing?) comes with experience.

Just to confirm he went past his man several times in the last two home games, granted he was better on Saturday then last night.

I think Smalley is pretty average but will hopefully improve with more experience. I don't recall him genuinely beating his man and putting in a decent cross very often but maybe it's when I nip to the little boy's room?? I think he'll be learning a lot at the moment and may come out of it a decent player, but I don't see anything outstanding in him at the moment.

Opinions are like rseholes though.......

Utter :censored:ing :censored: Slurm! I take it you didn't go to Leeds or Everton...just two examples of several games where he's skinned people (and at Leeds, on the left side I'll add!) :censored:ing pathetic view you have of him....but then, you don't rate Crossley either! Opinions eh!

I've heard a few people have a go at Smalley too. He is a player i really rate, he has pace, power, can cross the ball, has a good shot, can beat his man and can play on either wing or up front. but he just seems to have no confidence in himself and sometimes stands back and waits instead of getting stuck in. I have noticed Shez and Wright have got more patient with him during games and give him more praise and encouragement recently. He has been forced to play a bigger part in the first team than Shez would have liked this season which has probably affected him slightly, first team football is very different to reserve/youth team football and it takes some players a while to adjust to it

Spot on comments....I've rated him from day one which was why I wanted him to get his chance above Lids who I wanted playing from the bench :wink:

PS Those stating how he plays well one game but not the next, yep, experience and age will give him consistency and form. So far, he's over-achieved my expectations. He's given us such an outlet on the RW, helps Eardley, allows us to have balance.....he has the cross on him but don't see it often enough yet. Will come with time hopefully.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Utter :censored:ing :censored: Slurm! I take it you didn't go to Leeds or Everton...just two examples of several games where he's skinned people (and at Leeds, on the left side I'll add!) :censored:ing pathetic view you have of him....but then, you don't rate Crossley either! Opinions eh!

I say it as I see it, just can't see anything in him at all, as far as I'm concerned, he's like a poor man's Taylor. He looks frightened to me when he's got the ball and doesn't know where to stand when he hasn't. As for the big guy, I don't expect you to keep a running record of my posts, but Crossley has definately won me over lately, his performance have improved no end recently, he's put in a few good appearances lately.

I say it as I see it, just can't see anything in him at all, as far as I'm concerned, he's like a poor man's Taylor. He looks frightened to me when he's got the ball and doesn't know where to stand when he hasn't. As for the big guy, I don't expect you to keep a running record of my posts, but Crossley has definately won me over lately, his performance have improved no end recently, he's put in a few good appearances lately.

a poor mans taylor? taylor has been a shadow of himself compared to last season when it comes to beating his man and supplying crosses. infact there were a long string of games this season where taylor couldnt beat an egg. smalley has been thrown into the mix this season and is doing a decent job. he was one of the outstanding players at everton. mom in my opinion. his conidence will grow.

OK. I'll admit I read this thread and opened it with some concern that you may be referring to me and the people I sit with.

Theres a group of men behind me who cant wait to get on Smalley and the other youngsters back!!

Where do you sit? If its near the 100 mark and in the second section then it could be me, my GF and a couple of mates.

Before anyone gets toop shirty - let me say my piece.

I do not shout and boo loudly at our players, but I do have converstations with the people I sit with and we do discuss the performance of players. I'd perhaps accept that sometimes, when particularly frustrated with a certain pass etc, it may become more audible to others in the stand - but I would doubt it is ever audible to the players. Given the spare nature of the crowd on Tuesday, any comments we make could be more audible in the stand.

Whilst I support Latics, I do not think that means I have to think that every player is fantastic - I think I should be allowed to have opinions that certain players are not up to it (kids or otherwise).

Smalley is one that I do not rate. On Tuesday the number of times he kicked the ball past the defender and tried to run through him and (as the laws of physics have not changed) failed was frustrating - and we dicsussed the fact we didn't think he is a good player in our team. But I will still shout encouragement at times and (hopefully) will eat my hat if he proves me wrong.

Like they went mad at Lomax for having a shot but i tell you what if Davies would have done that it would be the best thing ever.

I do recall making a comment about this - something along the lines of fine him a weeks wages. This is an 'in-joke' in that any defender shooting from out the box should be fined a weeks wages for wasting posession (Eardley has earned a 'get out jail' free card though).

At the end of the day I support Latics and am supportive generally of the players. But I am also passionate about the team and do not always support every player 100% - but not in a shouting loud abuse that they can here. If its wrong to have a football discussion during a game with friends; not like every player that ever plays for us; and make some comments to this effect - well tough.

I wonder why

I do recall making a comment about this - something along the lines of fine him a weeks wages. This is an 'in-joke' in that any defender shooting from out the box should be fined a weeks wages for wasting posession (Eardley has earned a 'get out jail' free card though).

Good god....we better get round to fining Hazell then for setting us off on the road to spanking Leeds! :grin:

We have had so many injuries this season and in my opinion u can not fault the young lads who have come thro. lewis and deano. i mean talk about thrown into the deep end. its not like we have had a choice. those boys have come in and done the club proud! we have struggled and they have fought. smalley has been a little shy in the area and lewis was short of a goal but you can not fault what effort they have put in.

In my opinion the potential of those two is exciting. Am i on my own?

Good god....we better get round to fining Hazell then for setting us off on the road to spanking Leeds! :grin:

1 in a 100 chance. To discourage another 99 shots endangering my pie more than the goal I'd still fine him. You need to maintain standards and rules.. :wink:

As for kids. I have been very impressed with Alice, and since he scored his has got even better. Still raw but for me has genuine potential.

I just don't see it with Smalley - others do. Football is full of opinions.

But if I don't rate him I will discuss this with my mates etc. To repeat I don't shout loudly to make my point made to the players or most of the stand - if it was me that the OP could hear, that was more due to the Chaddy being half empty and mostly dead.

1 in a 100 chance. To discourage another 99 shots endangering my pie more than the goal I'd still fine him. You need to maintain standards and rules.. :wink:

As for kids. I have been very impressed with Alice, and since he scored his has got even better. Still raw but for me has genuine potential.

I just don't see it with Smalley - others do. Football is full of opinions.

But if I don't rate him I will discuss this with my mates etc. To repeat I don't shout loudly to make my point made to the players or most of the stand - if it was me that the OP could hear, that was more due to the Chaddy being half empty and mostly dead.

Not to forget he changed the game at Millwall when Hughes got his HT, won the penalty there as well.

While we are on the subject lets not forget the Chris Taylor hate mob that sit in the NSM upper!!!!!!!!!!