rivals/ derbies

who do you class as our rivals? i think were away from the bulk of them (preston, burnley etcetera) and i used to look down on blackpool but the last few years they have been quite eagerly anticipated. i also found it quite embarrassing really when bury was looked at in a similar vein. weve got leeds, hudds and tranmere in with us and maybe crewe but their away followings are too shocking to care. now, doncaster, even though they poached wellens, have a bigger budget than us, a flashy new ground and quite a good record v us i just cant bring myself to care about them, whereas the lad whos six and just getting in to his football really dislikes them! i suppose its a product of circumstance really.

To me, Rivalry is a two way street, why do we class Leeds as rivals when most would Leeds fans couldnt give a stuff about us. Yeah in this league when we play its sort of like a little derby for us but I dont think they class us as rivals, same with City. Yeah back in the day we probably would have been but not anymore.

Shame though, Id say we dont really have any other than Tranmere at the minute.

To me, Rivalry is a two way street, why do we class Leeds as rivals when most would Leeds fans couldnt give a stuff about us. Yeah in this league when we play its sort of like a little derby for us but I dont think they class us as rivals, same with City. Yeah back in the day we probably would have been but not anymore.

Shame though, Id say we dont really have any other than Tranmere at the minute.

...and I'm not sure Tranmere are as they are a bit far away and it is more a build up of other circumstances over the last few years.

Bury had potential but we just started getting on too well. Sad to say, but the only one we really have is Rochdale. We just don't realise it because it's been ages.

I (and i think most latics fans) would feel gutted if we lost to Rochdale and great if we beat them and nigh on all Dale fans would feel the opposite.

We don't have any real proper rivals. The main one for me is Huddersfield (partly coz they are yorkshiremenand partly coz they are geographically the closest team to us in our league).

I was speaking to a Tranmere fan the other day at work and he was saying that Oldham are their biggest rivals but only because they, like us, don't play any of their main rivals anymore like Wrexham, Everton, Bolton etc... The rivalry has come about coz of this and the fact that Ronnie is their gaffer and i think down to the fact that we just don't have anyone else to class as a close rival.

Agree with the points about Rochdale. They for me would be our biggest rival if we played them on a more regular basis. I'd love an Oldham-Rochdale derby, i've nerer been to one apart from the Rose Bowl. :disappointed:

Edited by Amsterdam_Blue

For me, most teams from the west being Tranmere to the east being Doncaster are rivals. Some become it purely for the fact we play them regularly. Others from the fact we used to play them regularly over the last few decades. For me, the only exceptions are Stockport and Dale. I kinda take pity of Dale and have never seen us play them competitively so have no real dislike. Stockport, I dunno....no dislike of them other than the fact they have been similar crowd-wise to us but never bring any real following to ours. Otherwise, I'd love them to come up....maybe it's just down to Eyrsey's 90th minute winner....and the fact we've a decent record at Edgeley Park.

As for the White:censored:e, they're rivals simply for being at our level. Plus, we've a history against them too....but their fans are very much like the Red Scum fans where a lot of things pre-1992 doesn't exist in their history. Older fans will remember playing us and have a real dislike of us.....the newer gloryhunters won't.

Bolton and to a lesser extent Blackburn and Burnley used to be the main rivals in the mid to late seventies,mainly brought about by the nasty kickings the Twenty year old plus fans of these Clubs used to give to a lot of young Latics fans in their early teens.Not that it was big or clever,a lot of these Lads in their early teens held a grudge against fans of these clubs and gave them back a taste of their own medicine five years or so later.

Luckily,those days have gone and Young fans can now go to the game without worrying about a fully grown neanderthal attacking them on their way home from the match.

I hate Blackpool with a passion :angry:

I agree with that :angry:

Bloody donkey lasher scumbags. Getting all high and mighty now they've achieved their dream of mid-table mediocrity in the Championship.

Tranmere are another rival for me, but only because of the Mooreon connection. I can't hate Huddersfield too much, as Stitch is the gaffer.

Probably Leeds/Doncaster are the other rivals we have, but only through players moved between the clubs and the fact they're the most locals clubs in the League.

Will be looking forwards to going back to Bloomfield Hole next season, Tangerine scum :grin:

Keep the Faith

for me it has to be rochdale and burnley i know the latter of the 2 don't really count but where i live I'm surrounded by clarets n use to look forward to tics vs claret matches,plus i know the mascot of dale n hate it when we play them preseason n lose as i get in in the ear from Desmond the dragon :angry:

Got to be Huddersfield as they are so close and YORKIES!!

Just think if we could get into the championship next season...........Burnley...Preston...Sheff Wed...Blackpool...Barnsley.

Wat a bloody difference it would make, playing that lot at home and away every season!!!

now, doncaster, even though they poached wellens, have a bigger budget than us, a flashy new ground and quite a good record v us i just cant bring myself to care about them, whereas the lad whos six and just getting in to his football really dislikes them! i suppose its a product of circumstance really.

I hate Blackburn because this was the big game when I really started to take more of an interest in what was going on, on the pitch, rather than kicking a can round at the bottom of the Chaddy.

We are in an arkward position really as we like to see ourselves as rivals to Utd, City, Leeds, Udders, Blackpool etc. But in truth I don't think these clubs are in the slightest bit bothered about us as they have others to be rivals with. The problem is that our real derby would be Rochdale, but as we have not played a competative game against them for 30 years or so, the rivalry has totally disappeared.

The Tranmere games seem to be getting a bit spicy these days though.............................

I hate Blackburn because this was the big game when I really started to take more of an interest in what was going on, on the pitch, rather than kicking a can round at the bottom of the Chaddy.

We are in an arkward position really as we like to see ourselves as rivals to Utd, City, Leeds, Udders, Blackpool etc. But in truth I don't think these clubs are in the slightest bit bothered about us as they have others to be rivals with. The problem is that our real derby would be Rochdale, but as we have not played a competative game against them for 30 years or so, the rivalry has totally disappeared.

The Tranmere games seem to be getting a bit spicy these days though.............................

got to agree with the blackburn one - when i started about 1977/78 they were - even now we still sing the song regular " no nay never no nay never no more till we play b**tard rovers"

never seen rochdale as rivals and probably would never - there's is the first result i look for.

never seen burnley as rivals - think mainly its was always the yorskhire clubs were our main rivalr still dont totally agree with Leeds not bothered about us cause they dont like us the same as we dont like them and this goes for udders, and both sheff clubs(perhaps next year we will play).

these days in reality udders, perhaps tranmere that goes back to the late eighties/early nineties - when we seemed to play them regular in cup etc

Wigan a few seasons back was quite tasty something building up there.

I absolutely despise Wigan. Hate hate hate. Just cos of their pish poor attendances. Didnt we take more fans in the Dowie year, when they won the Championship against us than they had in the home end. And half of em were wearing united shirts. GRRR. Also hate Blackpool just because of the fact they always beat us. hudds have become the big game of the season nowadays though, first one I look for, and also Doncaster, due to the Richie Wellens, Heffernan fiasco.