Goalie Signed

Guest oa_exile
what gripes me is that Terry Smith in his appearances last season did nothing wrong and maybe deserved another year to develop as third choice behind Crossley and Pogs.

Terry has been left warming his arse on the Southport bench all season.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oa_exile
Really? Shame that, he always looked assured in the ressies here and as I say played a blinder in 10 men gaining a point vs Carlisle last season.

Steven Drench is keeping him out , Drench is on a season long loan from Morecambe.

Possibly bring back Beresford after the Luton game.

Good shout.

1, They aint going to loan him to us so he can play tomorrow

2, It looks like Luton may go down (not wanting to tempt fate before we play them obviously) and he would want to play in the highest division he could

3, When he was with us, he would have gone to 3rd choice, now Les has retired he would be No2 behind an injury prone ageing keeper

Good shout.

1, They aint going to loan him to us so he can play tomorrow

2, It looks like Luton may go down (not wanting to tempt fate before we play them obviously) and he would want to play in the highest division he could

3, When he was with us, he would have gone to 3rd choice, now Les has retired he would be No2 behind an injury prone ageing keeper

Beresford is no spring chicken either. Number one priority in the summer has to be a keeper. Crossley's finally gained some consistency but the injuries have plagued him all season. We need someone aged between 23-30 ideally. Someone with a bit of experience and a bit left in the tank.

Edited by oafcprozac

Sheff Wed fan:

"Young Richard O'Donnell has moved to the Latics on a 7 day emergency loan...

Cracking young keeper for our youth team and reserves.

I'd rather have him as our number 2 over Rob :censored: Burch.

Hopefully he'll do us proud, Billy Mercer has big hopes for him!"

Beresford is no spring chicken either. Number one priority in the summer has to be a keeper. Crossley's finally gained some consistency but the injuries have plagued him all season. We need someone aged between 23-30 ideally. Someone with a bit of experience and a bit left in the tank.

Agreed, but I don't think we'll be able to pick one up in that age range on loan. If we could I'm sure Shez would have done it. Beresford will be OK until the end of the seasion. and maybe as No 2 next season, to a new No.1

You mean someone like Kieron Westwood? Or Steve Mildenhall?

:huh:

Agreed, but I don't think we'll be able to pick one up in that age range on loan. If we could I'm sure Shez would have done it. Beresford will be OK until the end of the seasion. and maybe as No 2 next season, to a new No.1

Not talking bout a loanee, it seems he has a decent budget in the summer, build from the back.

Keeper, ball-player, big lump. Sorted!

Exactly, two we stupidly got rid of that did no wrong. You can add Joe Murphy to that list too.

Mildenhall was at fault for the goal which saw us draw against Luton (who were top of the table) at home on Luke Beckett's debut. We were 1-0 down, someone scored to make it 1-1, then Beckett rounded Beresford to make it 2-1.......then in the last minute Mildenhall misjudged a cross or something and Luton got a last minute equaliser. I was very ticked off that day.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Guest oa_exile
Not talking bout a loanee, it seems he has a decent budget in the summer, build from the back.

Keeper, ball-player, big lump. Sorted!

I think you already know who the "Big Lump" will be :(

Mildenhall was at fault for the goal which saw us draw against Luton (who were top of the table) at home on Luke Beckett's debut. We were 1-0 down, someone scored to make it 1-1, then Beckett rounded Beresford to make it 2-1.......then in the last minute Mildenhall misjudged a cross or something and Luton got a last minute equaliser. I was very ticked off that day.

It was a corner that Howard steamed on to, not sure if you can blame Mildenhall for that one. However, him and Stam were at fault for the Mongs equaliser at the NHS a couple of weeks later and he did keep clean sheets at Walsall and vs promotion chasing 'ull.

Exactly, two we stupidly got rid of that did no wrong. You can add Joe Murphy to that list too.

It is difficult to keep young up and coming keepers happy though. If they are any good, they want to play and are not happy on the bench. Unfortunately, you can't play 2 keepers in the same team, so I if there is a young keeper who isn't knocking on the manager's door pushing for a start, perhaps he is "not ready for the first team"?

Yes thats true too many injures. 7 days is not long enough.

Our website says it is a 7 day emergency loan.

Shef Weds website says it is an initial 7 day emergency loan.

So who knows? Could be a long term thing pushed through as an emergency loan to allow him to play on Saturday without all the paperwork having to be done.

Personally I think that Shez has had to get a keeper who has at least played a league game - he then has a week to look at this guy or source some more experience.

I don't think it would do Josh Bell any favours throwing him on for his first league start in what could be described as a pivotal game in our season(2 pts behind the play offs). If things did go against him it could cause a lot harm for a rookie in a confidence position.

Just my opinion but I think Shez is protecting him and giving him experience of being in the squad first. I would think however if the play off chase becomes unrealistic and as we are secure in the league you will see him get some starts to bed him in.