Murray for Latics

This was in the Daily record today.................................................................

Gretna Captain Set To Leave For England

Mar 15 2008

Gretna In Crisis...

GRETNA captain Paul Murray could be offered an escape route by Oldham.

The midfielder is wanted by the English League One promotion play-off hopefuls.

Murray, 31, will be available for free if Gretna fail to pay off their debts. The entire first-team squad have been told their contracts will be ripped up if the Raydale Park outfit close.

And Murray could be one of the first to find a new club.

Boundary Park manager John Sheridan could use the unexpected availability of the former England B international to bolster his squad ahead of the run-in.

Murray signed a one-year deal with Gretna last June and has made 23 appearances for the club and scored once.

He has previously played for Southampton, had two spells at Carlisle and once landed a £300,000 move to QPR.

This was in the Daily record today.................................................................

Mar 15 2008

Gretna In Crisis...

Murray, 31, will be available for free if Gretna fail to pay off their debts. The entire first-team squad have been told their contracts will be ripped up if the Raydale Park outfit close.

Boundary Park manager John Sheridan could use the unexpected availability of the former England B international to bolster his squad ahead of the run-in.

Murray signed a one-year deal with Gretna last June and has made 23 appearances for the club and scored once.

He has previously played for Southampton, had two spells at Carlisle and once landed a £300,000 move to QPR.

I'm a bit surprised he's played that many games as I thought he was heading for the knackers yard. 2 questions.

1 has he still got it, and

2 do we need another central midfielder when we could be spending the money elsewhere, e.g goalie or striker?

he will cost next to nothing money wise.....think muzza'll be glad to have a deal somewhere, so his wages will be next to nowt.

potentially a decent signing and even if his role is bit part, if it helps us get into playoffs, its gotta be a good thing.

he will cost next to nothing money wise.....think muzza'll be glad to have a deal somewhere, so his wages will be next to nowt.

potentially a decent signing and even if his role is bit part, if it helps us get into playoffs, its gotta be a good thing.

I don't think players went to gretna because they would be on next to nothing. The whole central pillar of their success was that they were being bankrolled. Fine player when he was here and played for us during the crap times as well. Still think we need to strengthen other areas.

Wouldnt be busting a gut to get him back but if we can get him for the right price I'd have no issues about bringing him back to give us more options in midfield. Like others have said we have other priorities (plenty of them judging by the fact we've only managed to name 4 subs today) but if this is gonna fall into our laps i dont see the harm in bringing him back

I think with our squad so paper-thin we'd be foolish not to sign a player with the quality of Murray, even if its only until the end of the season to prove his fitness and get us out of a hole.

Though there is the unwritten rule that players who come back to a club are rubbish the second time...

:grin:

Keep the Faith

I think with our squad so paper-thin we'd be foolish not to sign a player with the quality of Murray, even if its only until the end of the season to prove his fitness and get us out of a hole.

Though there is the unwritten rule that players who come back to a club are rubbish the second time...

:grin:

Keep the Faith

As much as i like murray, i would rather the money went to a striker or goalie.

Edited by ste1987

As much as i like murray, i would rather the money went to a striker or goalie.

think that may be the idea......

maybe if they can get him in mega cheap... shez thinks he can send one of the loanees back and pay for him, and possibly keeper cover etc in the bargain...

jarrett seems to be out of sorts at the mo! maybe he's the fall guy?

Mar 15 2008

Gretna In Crisis...

Sounds just what we want......At the end of his career, with a great recent injury record.

Didn't he turn us down at the begining of the season?

He'll probably play a couple of games and be out injured till next season, along side our other overpaid youngsters, Gregan and Liddell!!!!

i think this would be a bad idea.

he hasn't really done anything since leaving us has he?

would we be able to sign him anyway? the transfer window has closed and isn't the only way you can sign anybody permanently after that if they was release before the deadline?

I have to agree with previous posts in thinkin this would be wrong move for us, Muzza did have quality about him when he was fit BUT do we really need to be taking on another player over 30 years old who picks up injurys quite frequently, all adds to a big wage bill and a problem of being down to the bare bones like yesterday.

The exception being Alan Buckley in his third spell in charge at Grimsby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...own/7240792.stm

if we get him for nothing and on minimal wages until end of season then ok,hes a better tackler than kalalala

but other areas of the playing staff need strenghening first

been our downfall all season long having a paper thin squad,you can bemoan our luck with injuries all you want,but injuries only effect you if you dont have adequate cover,when was the last time we could actually name a very strong subs bench that could change a match in our favour if need be.

if we get him for nothing and on minimal wages until end of season then ok,hes a better tackler than kalalala

but other areas of the playing staff need strenghening first

been our downfall all season long having a paper thin squad,you can bemoan our luck with injuries all you want,but injuries only effect you if you dont have adequate cover,when was the last time we could actually name a very strong subs bench that could change a match in our favour if need be.

Paper Thin squads have been our problem for years not just this season. It is also problems for other teams and some of them have still managed to get out of this league. Every other team has been out of this league either up or down at some point in the last ten years

Mar 15 2008

Gretna In Crisis...

Exactly what we need......hope we get him....