Just got in from Luton

Without doubt the worst performance I have seen for a while from Latics. Clueless, couldn't be arsed, no chances created, Luton danced around us and thoroughly deserved the win. The players might as well have sat in the stands with us, for the use they were, and they should have a whip round to refund us for the tickets we paid hard earned money for, cos it was a sham. The only one who should be paid a fraction of his money was Deano - the rest were a joke and a disgrace to the shirt. They gave us nothing to shout about, and the jibes from the Luton crowd to us was fully justified in my opinion. Am I going to spend more hard earned money next week on my planned trip to BP - I might give some thought and see if I can be bothered. They could have scored more: I am gutted tonight and I am sure everyone else who went is too. Hope I feel different in the morning.

And send Constantine back - he is less than useless - is he in the team so he will drag us down and let Leeds climb higher?

I have never seen such a performance and realised how depleted the team is until today with all of our injuries, but they are all professionals and should be fighting for their place in the team. Shame on you all.

Just got back now, and there have been three things going around my head on the way back after todays match.

1. There are no excuses for not filling the subs bench. OK, there are probably timing issues with registering players for the first team, but our injury list has been growing and growing in recent weeks, so why not make sure some of the reserves / youth are eligible if required.

2. The loan system can be great, and we could all list a fair few players who have done the business for us over the years. However, the players brought in need to be hungry, desperate and eager to impress - wether it is their parent club in the hope af a recall and first team action, or their "new" club in the hope of securing a permanent deal at the end of the loan period. Today it was apparent that Jarrett and Constantine are here to go through the motions and get "match fit" - I know Jarrett has been out injured, but seriously, he has not been fit since arriving, and a decent game on his debut is not good enough. Constantine, well, this is not the same player that has caused us many a problem in recent years.

3. If we are put in a position where we need to play kids, make sure they're OUR young 'uns, not some bugger elses. I really felt sorry for O'Donnell today, but not as mush as I did for Josh Bell. Good enough to be on the bench for a good part of the year, but when the emergency that he is there for arises, Shez brings in a 19yr with no first team experience to start ahead of him. There is no doubt that that O'Donnell will learn plenty from todays game, and maybe more to come, and he will take that back to Sheffield Wednesday with him. That experience could, and should, have gone to Josh.

KTF

Did we not field a full subs bench today?

Think we're being a bit harsh on Constantine today, played much of the game with 10 men and created a couple of good chances, one where he was very unlucky not to score. Shez has stated that Bell isn't ready to play in the first-team, if that's Shez's opinion then he should stick by it. I've not heard ANY rave reviews of Bell in the reserves this season.

Having only recently got back from the game (i've family that live in Dunstable so stayed overnight with them) i thought i'd add my two penneth worth. For me the best player on the park for either side was Deane Smalley and i don't think Chris Perry was injured i think Smalley outplayed him and the Luton manager realised his centre-half was in trouble and brought on Don Hutchinson (who isn't a centre half) to at least give Deano some competition. Since Deano had the beating of him in the air and was very much quicker than him, a player who kept Dirk Kuyt quiet was played off the park by Deane Smalley.

The Ref was a joke, not because he gave the penalty (which it definately was) not because he sent Reuben off (I don't agree with sending someone off for a professional foul in the penalty area, but those are the rules) but because he didn't book both Luton's left back and Left midfielder who cynically brought down one of our players from behind when they were going through for a cross on more than one occassion. If i had been referreeing I'd have sent off Luton's number 25 (the left midfielder who was by far the worst culprit for dirty play in the game).

A lot of fuss has been made about the keeper but he played alright the first goal was a good bit of skill, the second a penalty (which he went to wrong way for and i think a lot of Oldham fans would have gone the right way), the third was a bad bit of play by Eardley. However, for Sheridan to trust a Sheff Wed youngster over one of our own is poor. For him to rely on a Sheff Wed youngster is even poorer when Pogliacomi has had injury problems all year, Crossley has had trouble and neither have been great consistently. When Pogliacomi's injury was fully diagnosed he should have been contacting clubs to see if he could get a goalie in (if necessary get someone better than Crossley and say they'll play- for example City have three goalies we could quite easily have given one of them some first team football, ditto Ben Foster or Kusack, and if either club had an injury they could go back). To have only 4 players on a bench in professional football is a disgrace (why not register a kid and give him some first-team pre match experience). To play a very poor player from a rival team in the division giving him much needed match practice is bad too, I'm sure Glenn Murray might have preferred a move across the M62 as opposed to a move down south, same with Dicov and a whole bunch of other players who went elsewhere in the window. Ian Moore who acted very unprofessionally by not signing with us didn't look that much better than our kids when he played against us but he would have been better than Leon Constantine.

The team was very poor (they are a bad side and its obvious why they are in trouble- even without the 10 point penalty) but they weren't helped by Shez's poor managerial skills and a bad ref.

A lot of fuss has been made about the keeper........................the second a penalty (which he went to wrong way for and i think a lot of Oldham fans would have gone the right way)........

I can't believe you mean that!

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

ditto Ben Foster or Kusack

I'm sorry but if you think that an England goalkeeper or Tomasz Kuszczak would come and play in League One you are ever so slightly deluded. Your point about being better prepared is correct, but to expect us to bring in someone of that calibre is astonishing. If we did then they would be number one, never mind an emergency back-up!

I'm sorry but if you think that an England goalkeeper or Tomasz Kuszczak would come and play in League One you are ever so slightly deluded. Your point about being better prepared is correct, but to expect us to bring in someone of that calibre is astonishing. If we did then they would be number one, never mind an emergency back-up!

I agree. I even thought we had no chance anyway with sodding kasper!! :wink:

As you said, we'd have a number 1 goalie instead.

I agree. I even thought we had no chance anyway with sodding kasper!! :wink:

As you said, we'd have a number 1 goalie instead.

Why did we have no chance with Casper? Foster was apparently lined up to go to Coventry, but Ferguson stopped it because United had both 1st and 2nd choices out. If Foster had gone then Casper could have played for us. It would be better than playing in the league he's in.