The Good vs The Bad this season

Read what you have written Paul. Basically, you get your retailiation in first by saying that if people disagree then they are happy clappers. You still do it in the last post with "I can understand how some people only see positives". Who is? Who are these fictitious rose-tinters who are praising the Team for the performance on Saturday? It suits your purpose to make them appear real but what you are actually doing is trying to say is "if you disagree with me than you are deluded".

You are doing it with me. As I have the temerity to question what you have put, you are presumably labelling me as a happy clapper with your statement "Right glad that's sorted, you tell me how we've moved forward ON the field from last season........."

The simple fact is that if you had read some of my posts recently (particularly those regarding Sheridan) then you would know I am far from a blind optimist. Heaven knows, maybe I actually agree with you (and to an extent CJ) about a number of things.

Unfortunately, you and him (plus a few others) think that you are so right in your opinions that you feel the need to pigeon-hole everyone who has (or may have) a contrary view. You do that before you have even seen the argument in reply which is ludicrous.

The vast majority of people using OWTB are realists. Some can articulate their arguments well and others can't. Labelling detractors from one's opinion as "happy clappers" or alternatively, "doom and gloomers" is plain stupid and shows the weakness of the person's ability to see alternate points of view.

That is why I picked you up on the original point and not because I necessarily disagree with your other statements. Some I do and some I don't. That's real life.

Blimey, that's what I was gonna say! Thanks for the time-saver I_C!

Read what you have written Paul. Basically, you get your retailiation in first by saying that if people disagree then they are happy clappers. You still do it in the last post with "I can understand how some people only see positives". Who is? Who are these fictitious rose-tinters who are praising the Team for the performance on Saturday? It suits your purpose to make them appear real but what you are actually doing is trying to say is "if you disagree with me than you are deluded".

I do understand how people can see positives in face of adversity, I used to be the same. After years of treading water, false promises, etc... perhaps you do become a little pessimistic, in terms of being a long-term Latics fan, pessimism can be substituted for realism. Oh and where did I ever mention Saturday's performance was being praised?

You are doing it with me. As I have the temerity to question what you have put, you are presumably labelling me as a happy clapper with your statement "Right glad that's sorted, you tell me how we've moved forward ON the field from last season........."

That's my main point Jeff, it wasn't aimed at you, just a few that DO think we have moved forward on the pitch this season. That's their right doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them or vice versa. Those that do and provide a structured argument I respect. Those that just insult anyone daring to question any dissenters within the 'camp', are the ones who get my back up. Some on here will swear black is white and that is not debate, it's childish.

The simple fact is that if you had read some of my posts recently (particularly those regarding Sheridan) then you would know I am far from a blind optimist. Heaven knows, maybe I actually agree with you (and to an extent CJ) about a number of things.

As I say, I wasn't calling you a happy clapper and I know you agree with some of my points and others you don't, fair enough, that's what being an adult is about forming your own opinions and interpretations.

Unfortunately, you and him (plus a few others) think that you are so right in your opinions that you feel the need to pigeon-hole everyone who has (or may have) a contrary view. You do that before you have even seen the argument in reply which is ludicrous.

I haven't pigeon-holed anyone, I respect anyone's opinion, but when people are immediately jumped upon, which happens far too often on here it gets right on my tits.

The vast majority of people using OWTB are realists. Some can articulate their arguments well and others can't. Labelling detractors from one's opinion as "happy clappers" or alternatively, "doom and gloomers" is plain stupid and shows the weakness of the person's ability to see alternate points of view.

Right some say we've moved forward, others say we haven't, simple as. I agree with the latter but if someone can provide a structured argument to the former then fair enough I'll take each point on its merits. Perhaps agreeing, or God forbid disagreeing.

That is why I picked you up on the original point and not because I necessarily disagree with your other statements. Some I do and some I don't. That's real life.

That last sentence is very patronising Jeff, if you know me,you know damn well i'm a realist. If not I wouldn't have been following a team of pernennial under-achievers for the last 20-odd years

Edited by oafcprozac

We have to win 5 of our next 8 games to make the play-offs according to Shez is it realistic? can we make the play-offs?

I think we need to win 6 out of 8, a tall order if we're honest. Our average points tally from the last eight games over the last 20 years averages at 11.7 points, nowhere near enough unfortunately. Our best ever haul was 17 points from the last 8 games of 1995/1996 under Graeme Sharp. Worst was 3 points from 6 games the season we went down from the Prem. IF we do make the play-offs it truly will be a sporting miracle. Never say never and this is Laticswe are talking about but I think we need 19 points. 6 wins and a draw from 8. Love it to happen but there would have to be some serious movement in bolstering the squad before next week's deadline. I can see us getting 12 points from the last 8 games, safely in mid-table. Hopefully mistakes will have been learned from and we'll be all the stronger for it next season. The only bonus I can see from this season are the fact the kids have broken through and will be a year stronger next term. Oh and the win at Everton.

I think we need to win 6 out of 8, a tall order if we're honest. Our average points tally from the last eight games over the last 20 years averages at 11.7 points, nowhere near enough unfortunately. Our best ever haul was 17 points from the last 8 games of 1995/1996 under Graeme Sharp. Worst was 3 points from 6 games the season we went down from the Prem. IF we do make the play-offs it truly will be a sporting miracle. Never say never and this is Laticswe are talking about but I think we need 19 points. 6 wins and a draw from 8. Love it to happen but there would have to be some serious movement in bolstering the squad before next week's deadline. I can see us getting 12 points from the last 8 games, safely in mid-table. Hopefully mistakes will have been learned from and we'll be all the stronger for it next season. The only bonus I can see from this season are the fact the kids have broken through and will be a year stronger next term. Oh and the win at Everton.

Oldham Athletic making this years play-offs will be a lot of things but a 'sporting miracle' it will not!

I dont care about stats from the clubs history - it isnt relevant to the team which represents the club today!

Agreed it is a tall order however - we needed to have beaten either Hartlepool or Luton to still be properly on track.