Regarding Shez and the transfer window:

I agree Shez was at fault last season for not strengthening the squad, we lacked depth in the squad and we tired out.

This season it's different, our first half of season was mediocre at best and even though Shez might have had the funds to bring in some new faces he might have decided to hold back until the summer, which I think is probably the best decision.

I also think it's crap when people say "he has no contacts" or "he can't attract anyone". He attracted; Davies, Ricketts, Kilkenny, Crossley, Hughes and Bertrand. Now despite whether those transfer worked out well or not, that's beside the point, they are big names and Shez got them. For the money Shez did spend in the summer I think Davies and Allott have proven their worth. We'll see what happens in the summer, I think we're going to be very busy in the transfer market, I just hope there's more people coming in. than going out.

Crossley is Shez mate and boozing buddy

Killkenny was already conected to the club to some degree

Allot has been quality but was already connected with the club

Davies has done well (but had baggage)

Ricketts - We were warned!!!!!!

Hazell (Allotts mate from Chesterfield)

all the eggs were put in the Killkenny basket, that is why Wellens was shat on, and its backfired with no plan B.....

and your point is!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I'm not convinced of this anymore. Otherwise when Shez has been desperate for players and £200,000 for Clarke and £120,000 for KK has been available, why then has it suddenly disappeared when Shez has missed out on them two and when looking for others, it looks like we haven't got 2 halfpennies to rub together? I think signings are now almost "TTA approved" which sadly means they don't trust him so much with their money.

Yes, this is actually what i was getting at. I don't think they would welcome promotion at the moment. They see Oldham as an investment opportunity (from which we both gain, and which I welcome), they can control Shez with ease and see the Championship as simply too expensive at the moment. Sheridan is, therefore, the man to fulfil their current ambitions, ie League One. Long term may be different...

I think we've got Tony Philliskirk to thank the for the high quality from our youngsters, the guy is an excellent youth team coach and works wonders with our kids

Sheridan has made errors this season which is fine he is an inexperienced manager but they are the same mistakes he made last season, hopefully next season he will have finally learned from them.

All managers make signings that don't work out, Moore brought in Wellens & Porter but also Forbes and Scott and whilst i wasn't Talbots biggest fan did bring in Kilkenny, Hughes and Croft

We do have the foundations for a promotion challenge next season so hopefully Shez can bring in the right players to fit into our team

Its no secret that Wellens wanted to stay, and I am led to understand it was i signing on fee that was the issue. Thats the biggest dropped bollock of the whole summer, and we have paid the price with a disjointed miss match of a midfield ever since. I wonder if shez is kicking himself now about favouring a KK loan???? We will never know!

So are we going to have this kind of nonsense after every defeat now then?

Naturally followed by escalation of Shez back to hero status after every victory?

I know some of you are only intelligent enough to cope with living from one week to the next, but surely even you can comprehend the notion that a season is quite long and you only tend to win or lose things at the end.

So are we going to have this kind of nonsense after every defeat now then?

Naturally followed by escalation of Shez back to hero status after every victory?

I know some of you are only intelligent enough to cope with living from one week to the next, but surely even you can comprehend the notion that a season is quite long and you only tend to win or lose things at the end.

^^

This

Its no secret that Wellens wanted to stay, and I am led to understand it was i signing on fee that was the issue. Thats the biggest dropped bollock of the whole summer, and we have paid the price with a disjointed miss match of a midfield ever since. I wonder if shez is kicking himself now about favouring a KK loan???? We will never know!

Wellens staying would have been fantastic but for whatever reason the club, whether that be Shez or TTA, didn't think it was worth the signing on fee. You have to take gambles in football, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It's easy with hindsight to say that Wellens would have been well worth the money, but i remember having several heated debates with people during the summer who said we were right to get rid of him and we'd be better off without him, they have since realised he would have been worth every penny.

I would think Shez will be given one more season to get things right and i hope that he does

Is that genuinely true though? did Wellens really want to stay? If that is actually true then yes I agree we did drop a bollock but I am dubious. At the end of the Blackpool defeat his body language to me made it look like he would be off.

Ive never heard that he did want to stay and i dont really buy into this rumours heard off a friend of a friend, who knows Paul Blacks sister etc. There are too many assumptions and just damn right lies circulated by fans when it comes to whats going on behind the scenes of a football club.

Is that genuinely true though? did Wellens really want to stay? If that is actually true then yes I agree we did drop a bollock but I am dubious. At the end of the Blackpool defeat his body language to me made it look like he would be off.

Ive never heard that he did want to stay and i dont really buy into this rumours heard off a friend of a friend, who knows Paul Blacks sister etc. There are too many assumptions and just damn right lies circulated by fans when it comes to whats going on behind the scenes of a football club.

I think Wellens was happy at the club just the difference in money was soooooo different.

I'd guess that the difference between our and Dony's offer was around £500k (in wages, bonuses and signing on fee). Not anywhere near some of the guesses others seem to think it is.

I think Wellens was happy at the club just the difference in money was soooooo different.

I'd guess that the difference between our and Dony's offer was around £500k (in wages, bonuses and signing on fee). Not anywhere near some of the guesses others seem to think it is.

£500k? That would equate to just under £10k a week in wages and add ons. Donny have cash but aren't that stupid to pay that much for an above average 3rd Division midfielder. I've heard the difference was a difference of £14k in the signing on fee, Donny aren't paying him much more than he was on here. Thats from someone within the game currently playing for a Championship club that were interested in signing him but wouldn't guarantee he (Wellens) was first choice.

£500k? That would equate to just under £10k a week in wages and add ons. Donny have cash but aren't that stupid to pay that much for an above average 3rd Division midfielder. I've heard the difference was a difference of £14k in the signing on fee, Donny aren't paying him much more than he was on here. Thats from someone within the game currently playing for a Championship club that were interested in signing him but wouldn't guarantee he (Wellens) was first choice.

Here you go Paul. You know me and know that I'm not going to make something like this up without a bit of factual support. Believe what you want but I heard this from somebody who would certainly be aware of the facts as opposed to rumour.

£14k?

Try £236k (minimum).

Apparently we offered £3k per week and Donny had £4k per week on the table so an extra £1k per week over 3 years = £156k. Plus Donny paid a £100k signing fee (compared with the £20k that we offered). On top of that, you need to factor in an extra 23% for fringe benefits like NI Contributions, Insurance etc. Oh and Agents fees and everything else that goes with it. All in all, we are probably talking around an extra £400k for one player and that is on top of what we were originally offering and that deal broke the Bank!

Oh and then what if moneybags John Ryan had increased Donny's offer? Where do we draw the line?

£14k? Mind you it will be down to a couple of Wagon Wheels and a cup of Bovril within a week or so.

Here you go Paul. You know me and know that I'm not going to make something like this up without a bit of factual support. Believe what you want but I heard this from somebody who would certainly be aware of the facts as opposed to rumour.

I suppose over three years or whatever they gave him it really does mount up. I know the Championship club offered him a lot more than Donny did and trust me my source is a good one, but to think the amounts being bandied about are for THIRD DIVISION players it really is ludicrous. Where does it end? If we are talking £100'sK then we're well shut.

The spiralling costs and wages cannot be sustained, even by Sugar Daddies such as John Ryan, even the more stringent owners such as TTA within the next 5-10 years will be priced out of the game. There is only one way this is going to end and due to players and agents greed the bottom two divsions will go part-time. It isn't just clubs going into administration it is now admin on multiple occasions, Leeds, Bournemouth, Luton, Rotherham etc.... It's all going to end in tears. For the good of the game one or two clubs WILL have to go to the wall so that reality can kick in and lower football can get its house in order.

" will be down to a couple of Wagon Wheels and a cup of Bovril within a week or so."

thats a bloody good offer that. i think it would be signed sealed and delivered if it was a box of oxo cubes and a packet of 8 jammy dodgers, we'd be unstoppable.

seriously though, not as a direct response but a response to all the "the world is ending after a defeat" threads of the past couple of days. GET A GRIP! if everyone did as much thinking about how to improve attendances/raise money/insert idea here as they did with all this soul searching in depth analysis, next season would be a doddle. if your not getting your relaxation/recreation from supporting your team, where do you get it from? i think i have mentioned in a previous post to an earlier thread after the last defeat, but a bit of PERSPECTIVE is needed in a few quarters.

and one last thing whilst im typing at 3 million words a minute, does anybody else feel like they are being brain washed with all this "keep the faith" after loads of posts - we get the idea, dont go and support united or city after a defeat, its all starting to sound a bit cultish to me.

end rant (there isnt an exhausted icon)

"Mind you it will be down to a couple of Wagon Wheels and a cup of Bovril within a week or so."

Nice one Jeff, that's ruined a whole summer of transfer activity. TTA wanted to keep their transfer policy close to their chest and you a trust director of all people have alerted the other 71 FL clubs, watch us get gazumped by the more affluent clubs. After-all Hob-Nobs and PG Tips cost money and if Donny get involved we've no chance if they throw in fun-size bags of mars bars and cup a soups!

and one last thing whilst im typing at 3 million words a minute, does anybody else feel like they are being brain washed with all this "keep the faith" after loads of posts - we get the idea, dont go and support united or city after a defeat, its all starting to sound a bit cultish to me.

end rant (there isnt an exhausted icon)

Alan, Keep the faith is a motto every single tic should live by. it is a way of life, imo cannot be said enough.

Everton have their mints, Stoke have their Delilah, we have our Keep the faith. Its just the way it is. I wouldnt say Cult, I'd say culture

"Mind you it will be down to a couple of Wagon Wheels and a cup of Bovril within a week or so."

Nice one Jeff, that's ruined a whole summer of transfer activity. TTA wanted to keep their transfer policy close to their chest and you a trust director of all people have alerted the other 71 FL clubs, watch us get gazumped by the more affluent clubs. After-all Hob-Nobs and PG Tips cost money and if Donny get involved we've no chance if they throw in fun-size bags of mars bars and cup a soups!

Lol! :lol:

That was more aimed at our fans "understanding" of the Wellens transfer to be honest but hopefully, like you, I truly hope that wages start to fall. I don't think they will though since the lower Leagues are starting to become a rich man's game.

Sooner or later, football will eat itself though.

Btw, to avoid any misunderstanding, I heard that about Wellens' move to Doncaster long before I became involved with the Trust and it certainly wasn't from any other Trust Director. :)

Or a manager:

Who doesn't let players carried away celebrating a win before the end of the game - haven't we lost a few in the dying minutes?

Who sets out a game plan, within the limitations of the injuries at the club

Who - see above

Who has a restricted budget, yet has attempted to sign a number of players.

Who is honest and straightforward, never resorting to spin or hiding away behind "no comment".

Who develops players attributes by stretching them.

You see anyone can make up a meaningless list of attributes or denigrations.

Personally I think we should appoint managers for a maximum of 3 months, then have a poll on here to extend it.

And we should have a no swearing, quietly spoken policy, after all nobody gets carried away or excited on a football pitch, it's unneccessary.

Sorry REAL but my list is a considered one. Not just a meaningless list of attributes or denigrations as you put it. They can be backed up each and every one... Oh and as you say. It is fine for people to get excited On the football pitch. It is also fine when they congratulate each other on a nice goal or a good pass. I like your three month idea though, because we would have changed our manager by now.

Best post in a while that mate... I've tears rolling laughing at that!

If the club chose not to retain Wellens at a cost of 14k then il blow myself away - :censored: I would have paid it myself. Alas I am sure it isnt true, it must have been much more.

I think even the most recent "Shez Out" poll after the Hartlepool shambles would prove you wrong there Terry. Less than 20% wanted him out and since then we've taken 6 points from 9.

The only problem with polls on here is that they are from a third of the fan base. To be fair you could probably transfer the result to all of the fan base but it is swinging away from Sheridan. You just have to look at the posts on here that are now starting to doubt him. I wasn't one of those wanting Shez out until recently and I may well have voted to keep him in the last poll. However I am watching a manager who does not seem to be listening or learning and that has changed my opinion of his ability. I make no apology for this view and await the venom......(Not from you I might add)

The only problem with polls on here is that they are from a third of the fan base. To be fair you could probably transfer the result to all of the fan base but it is swinging away from Sheridan. You just have to look at the posts on here that are now starting to doubt him. I wasn't one of those wanting Shez out until recently and I may well have voted to keep him in the last poll. However I am watching a manager who does not seem to be listening or learning and that has changed my opinion of his ability. I make no apology for this view and await the venom......(Not from you I might add)

No Terry its a third of the fanbase on here and then only a third of the percentage of fans registered on here who bothered to vote. We really should not take this board as indicative of wider feeling amongst Latics fans. We on here are the minority, the majority are not registered, do not wish to be or have not even heard of this board. Lets not overstate the importance of this facility.

As for Shez personally I'll give him until Christmas then if we're still not moving forward with HIS players he goes at the end of next season. Never been a fan of changing manager during a season unless an absolute necessity ala Talbot.

No Terry its a third of the fanbase on here and then only a third of the percentage of fans registered on here who bothered to vote. We really should not take this board as indicative of wider feeling amongst Latics fans. We on here are the minority, the majority are not registered, do not wish to be or have not even heard of this board. Lets not overstate the importance of this facility.

As for Shez personally I'll give him until Christmas then if we're still not moving forward with HIS players he goes at the end of next season. Never been a fan of changing manager during a season unless an absolute necessity ala Talbot.

I was just going off the number of registered users. It is now the Official forum for OAFC. :grin:

You say some are doubting him but given somes open opinions on certain players I think it's no surprise some think he should go!

I remember 3000 of us singing his name at Huddersfield last season and didnt think then people would be calling for his name. I'd be gutted to see him go anytime soon. It would be a mistake.