No Terry its a third of the fanbase on here and then only a third of the percentage of fans registered on here who bothered to vote. We really should not take this board as indicative of wider feeling amongst Latics fans. We on here are the minority, the majority are not registered, do not wish to be or have not even heard of this board. Lets not overstate the importance of this facility.

As for Shez personally I'll give him until Christmas then if we're still not moving forward with HIS players he goes at the end of next season. Never been a fan of changing manager during a season unless an absolute necessity ala Talbot.

Changing managers is an absolute necessity if things are going wrong - on and off the pitch.

Talbot suffered from an excessive weight of expectation I feel, he did miracles at Rubbish and Dustbins but had a lot of money from Mr. Griggs to do it. He didn't have a lot to play with up here and he suffered for it, but for me he would have kept us up despite some dire form in patches. It is subjective though and each person has their own opinion.

Moore replaced him and it may just be fair to say that from day one I wasn't in support of his appointment (like we didn't know what to expect from him tactically). The thing that gets me about the Ronnie apologists (especially the ones that continually slate Talbot) was did it really get any better? In my humble opinion no it didn't, in fact I think it got worse. Torquay at home and Chesterfield away still gall me thinking about the lack of anything that could be called going down fighting. And we were going down. The day we played Chesterfield was the most abject I have ever felt coming out of a game, I even phoned my Torquay supporting mate and told him no worries we will be in the bottom 4 next week not you lot. It was my bloody birthday too. We survived because Pogs put in a top drawer performance against Bradford.

So be it though - I was glad we survived, and Ronnie the perceived saviour, got a crack of the whip. He had a clear out and on the pitch it got better positionally but anything to do with playing entertaining football went straight out of the window. It was a shocking season to watch football following the mighty. Awful performance after awful performance came and went, the treatment of some of the players (Butcher at Barnsley will live with me for ever) was shocking, but they were doing what the manager told them to do.

He got us into a decent position and failed quite dramatically. He is still doing the same thing on the Wirral now.

I am no saint when airing my views, many of you will remember the night I completely lost it after arguing for months on end about Moores tenureship on JKL. It was always the fault of the players, the fans, the tea lady, the wind was blowing in the wrong direction, the sun was shining too low over the Chaddy - anything but Ronnies fault. He drove fans away from the club in their droves. The better players were left out of the team through personality clashes; I am going to cite the treatment of Killen who had been in a rare run of being fit and scoring goals, Ronnie didn't like him and he was left picking socks up in the dressing room at Chasetown despite being in probably the best form of his Latics career. I know loads will disagree with this point, but when fit Killen was a bloody good striker and to constantly use him as a sub or drop him was Ronnies biggest failing (of many).

Anyway, our owners see an even bigger black hole and Ronnie just has to go. So they boot him to somewhere that is more appreciative of his jurrassic formula.

So Shez takes up the reins.

Now I don't believe all this :censored: about it was Ronnies team. If it was he would have been there marshalling them from the touchline. Shez was picking the players, forming the tactics and in general got us back to some sort of style of play that was entertaining to watch. It was Shezs team that he picked from players that were available.

Think this one: Chasetown away under Ronnie vs Scunthorpe away under Shez. What would you rather watch? An extreme example I know, but indicative of the way that our current boss v our previous boss believe football should be played.

We hoped for promotion but (eventually) sneaked into the play offs. We were a good side, but we were beaten by a better side - the Lashers were on a roll and fair play to them for such an awe inspiring run toward the end of the season.

The agents then took over and Shez was really stuck between a rock and a hard place in regards to our two best players; Porter and Wellens.

We lost out on both counts very late in the day and I think he has done his best in trying to bring players in. He doesn't want someone here who can't do a job, maybe someties that job is just filling in for a few weeks or months; but I feel so much talent was taken away from him without him having very much input that it was always going to be difficult to follow last seasons efforts.

Much like Talbot, I think after last seasons exploits, Shez has a weight of expectation hanging over him.

I think he is trying to rebuild, but given his financial constraints it is a tough ask to do in one season.

Slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

There is one way out of this division in the upward sense, and that is to play football.

Despite the highs and the failings of this season, I can't think of a better man to be in charge of us right now.

Shez in (despite the fact he still picks Chris bloody Taylor).

KtF,

Derek.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Allegedly) there's a good number of first team players who don't even want to play under shez and have lost all respect for him and wrote this season off months ago.

That's evident in our inconsistent performances and certain players hiding during matches.

Personally I have never had faith in him and after sitting right behind him the last few games it's amazing the players put the shirt on for him and we are where we are in the league.

If he is in charge next year I am seriously considering renewing my season ticket and going watching the team after 25 years!

He's just as inconsistent with his statements and planning for us, as we are at performing at home.

SHEZ OUT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER! IMO

Changing managers is an absolute necessity if things are going wrong - on and off the pitch.

Talbot suffered from an excessive weight of expectation I feel, he did miracles at Rubbish and Dustbins but had a lot of money from Mr. Griggs to do it. He didn't have a lot to play with up here and he suffered for it, but for me he would have kept us up despite some dire form in patches. It is subjective though and each person has their own opinion.

Moore replaced him and it may just be fair to say that from day one I wasn't in support of his appointment (like we didn't know what to expect from him tactically). The thing that gets me about the Ronnie apologists (especially the ones that continually slate Talbot) was did it really get any better? In my humble opinion no it didn't, in fact I think it got worse. Torquay at home and Chesterfield away still gall me thinking about the lack of anything that could be called going down fighting. And we were going down. The day we played Chesterfield was the most abject I have ever felt coming out of a game, I even phoned my Torquay supporting mate and told him no worries we will be in the bottom 4 next week not you lot. It was my bloody birthday too. We survived because Pogs put in a top drawer performance against Bradford.

So be it though - I was glad we survived, and Ronnie the perceived saviour, got a crack of the whip. He had a clear out and on the pitch it got better positionally but anything to do with playing entertaining football went straight out of the window. It was a shocking season to watch football following the mighty. Awful performance after awful performance came and went, the treatment of some of the players (Butcher at Barnsley will live with me for ever) was shocking, but they were doing what the manager told them to do.

He got us into a decent position and failed quite dramatically. He is still doing the same thing on the Wirral now.

I am no saint when airing my views, many of you will remember the night I completely lost it after arguing for months on end about Moores tenureship on JKL. It was always the fault of the players, the fans, the tea lady, the wind was blowing in the wrong direction, the sun was shining too low over the Chaddy - anything but Ronnies fault. He drove fans away from the club in their droves. The better players were left out of the team through personality clashes; I am going to cite the treatment of Killen who had been in a rare run of being fit and scoring goals, Ronnie didn't like him and he was left picking socks up in the dressing room at Chasetown despite being in probably the best form of his Latics career. I know loads will disagree with this point, but when fit Killen was a bloody good striker and to constantly use him as a sub or drop him was Ronnies biggest failing (of many).

Anyway, our owners see an even bigger black hole and Ronnie just has to go. So they boot him to somewhere that is more appreciative of his jurrassic formula.

Now I don't believe all this :censored: about it was Ronnies team. If it was he would have been there marshalling them from the touchline. Shez was picking the players, forming the tactics and in general got us back to some sort of style of play that was entertaining to watch. It was Shezs team that he picked from players that were available.

Think this one: Chasetown away under Ronnie vs Scunthorpe away under Shez. What would you rather watch? An extreme example I know, but indicative of the way that our current boss v our previous boss believe football should be played.

We hoped for promotion but (eventually) sneaked into the play offs. We were a good side, but we were beaten by a better side - the Lashers were on a roll and fair play to them for such an awe inspiring run toward the end of the season.

The agents then took over and Shez was really stuck between a rock and a hard place in regards to our two best players; Porter and Wellens.

We lost out on both counts very late in the day and I think he has done his best in trying to bring players in. He doesn't want someone here who can't do a job, maybe someties that job is just filling in for a few weeks or months; but I feel so much talent was taken away from him without him having very much input that it was always going to be difficult to follow last seasons efforts.

Much like Talbot, I think after last seasons exploits, Shez has a weight of expectation hanging over him.

I think he is trying to rebuild, but given his financial constraints it is a tough ask to do in one season.

There is one way out of this division in the upward sense, and that is to play football.

Despite the highs and the failings of this season, I can't think of a better man to be in charge of us right now.

KtF,

Derek.

Spot on Derek, cept I don't agree on Taylor...still all will be revealed in time.

KtF,

Derek.

Wonder if that will change any minds?

Great post Derek agree totally. Except Chris Killen when fit was a decent striker on a bloody good strikers money!

EDIT Disagree about Taylor as well, obviously.

Edited by Stitch_KTF

(Allegedly) there's a good number of first team players who don't even want to play under shez and have lost all respect for him and wrote this season off months ago.

That's evident in our inconsistent performances and certain players hiding during matches.

Personally I have never had faith in him and after sitting right behind him the last few games it's amazing the players put the shirt on for him and we are where we are in the league.

If he is in charge next year I am seriously considering renewing my season ticket and going watching the team after 25 years!

He's just as inconsistent with his statements and planning for us, as we are at performing at home.

SHEZ OUT SOONER RATHER THAN LATER! IMO

So, you've a source for this discontent? Or is it just another load of made up twaddle.

It's so easy to make a case for sacking a manager - criticise his media style - spins and lies OR never knows when to say nowt, then there's the dressing room - he's lost it - comes out every time that one. Then there's the tactics - "no plan B" has become a mantra. Oh and he doesn't praise the players enough, but he's also too matey with them and they need a rocket up them. Oh and his transfers are rubbish - look at x and x and x (ignoring y and y and y or course).

Nah, it's time to sack <insert name of manager> before he takes us down with him.

Fell free to copy and paste for 2010/11/12/13 they'll all still work

As you can imagine Derek, I don't agree with a word of that.

We were never staying up under Talbot, have you forgot the run of 7 league defeats on the run including 3 heavy loses? Lets not forget his treatment of Vernon, a young striker in great form but wasn't deemed good enough by Talbot and sent packing to Blackpool. He lost the suppoort of the players , fans and owners. Like Shez this season, a cup win against a prem side covers up some of the huge mistakes they had made

There were games against promotion chasing teams included in his first set of games and he picked up the results needed with a very poor squad

The Killen saga is very merky Derek, and the player didn't blame the manager in the press

It was his choice to rebuild, he never replaced our ONLY LEFT FOOTED PLAYER in Edwards and brought in a Kalala to replace an improving Rocastle

Not seen too much of that this season

KtF,

Derek.

Think letting Rocastle go was correct decision and that Chris Taylor is a decent player, otherwise agree with the reasoned arguments of D. W. Been a difficult season that would test the mettle of any manager...injuries, Lee Hughes controversy, handling of Ricketts situation. Overall, despite the disappointment we are not 10 points clear at the top,or even going to make the play offs it could have been worse. This coming close season and period up to Christmas will be key pointers to the future, so until then, at least, Shez is the man for the job

As you can imagine Derek, I don't agree with a word of that.

Ah Senor, my gloomier alter ego.

Your 'we were never staying up under Talbot' comment, I think I have quantified as subjective. It never had a chance to play the scenario out.

Talbot certainly lost the support of all and sundry, but we were edging closer to the trap door and people were getting nervous.

Ronnie came in and had a run of 'no win' games, whilst the players had the new gaffer to play for. Hence decent results against Luton and Plymouth and in reality they were no pressure games, we expected to get nothing and were unlucky only to get 4 points. When it came to biting the bullet time and the pressure was really on we were shown up by Torquay and Chesterfield. There should be nothing like this pressure from the fans on Shez for being just outside the play off positions.

The Killen saga is indeed very murky, and IMO one of quite some embarassement for all involved as it played out. The one thing that was blatently obvious though is that the lad was fit and scoring but Ronnie wouldn't play him.

I agree that Shez has made a few mistakes, replacing an ever improving Eddy and Rocky with nobody and Kalala was bad, but his major losses were Wellens and Porter. We were a good few weeks behind everyone else in the market and not knowing which division we would be in probably even more in our planning. Wellens and Porter are irrereplacable when you lose players of such quality for nothing, we don't have the finances to cope with such losses.

So we soldier on in the same 'on the cusp' position that Ronnie got us to.

Shez has got us into the position with kids and that bodes well for the future imo. I don't think we will do anything this season, but we are building for the future.

I know which I would rather watch.

KtF,

Derek.

If you think that players deliberatly play badly then you must be more off your rocker than I thought! Why would you play badly and potentially decrease your worth and future earnings?!

Fine, you obviously have a dislike for Shez and are fully entitled to your opinion but that kind of tripe will not help you in your campaign in getting him sacked. If it was more reasoned and believable then things might be different. I'm glad it's not- you may have swayed more people over to your side :grin:

If we must dig up our recent history, when Brian Talbot joined, a colleague of mine who's a Northampton fan confidently predicted he would take us down. And I'm convinced that if TTA hadn't sacked him when they did he would have. Anyone who really believes Shez has lost the dressing room ought to cast their minds back to the farce of Talbot's last few games.

Btw, to avoid any misunderstanding, I heard that about Wellens' move to Doncaster long before I became involved with the Trust and it certainly wasn't from any other Trust Director. :)

That's one way to convince us it isn't a load of rubbish :wink:

It was his choice to rebuild, he never replaced our ONLY LEFT FOOTED PLAYER in Edwards and brought in a Kalala to replace an improving Rocastle

WTF :shock: is that a serious comment, you honestly thought hand on heart that Rocastle was improving, into what a League 2 player.

He couldn't even get a regular start at Port Vale a team at the very bottom of League 1, at no point is he or was he improving and a very good decision was taken by Shez to offload him.

WTF :shock: is that a serious comment, you honestly thought hand on heart that Rocastle was improving, into what a League 2 player.

He couldn't even get a regular start at Port Vale a team at the very bottom of League 1, at no point is he or was he improving and a very good decision was taken by Shez to offload him.

You mean a player who was signed by one manager but isn't fancied by the manager who comes in so finds himself out in the cold :shock: When has that ever happened before?

You mean a player who was signed by one manager but isn't fancied by the manager who comes in so finds himself out in the cold :shock: When has that ever happened before?

I understand what you are saying about his Port Vale situation, but I really don't think there was a point that I ever thought that he was or ever would improve.

I saw enough of him play to assess him as not being good enough for League 1, he wanted far to long to get the ball under control and then wanted far to long again on the ball to decide what to do with it.

Rocastle was nothing short of godawful and any person trying to argue that he should have stopped has immediately lost any argument and should probably give in debating anything, anywhere, ever again.

Talking to a Vale fan: "Thanks for Rocastle and Edwards you robbingt**t's". I couldn't help but agree, even though they got them on free's.

I can't help but come to the conclusion that those who honestly believe Rocastle was rubbish never saw him play in an away match.

He was far from rubbish, and arguably would have made just as good a squad player as Kalala has done. But he's never going to be an Allott or a Wellens is he?

Re the Northampton fan Kets, you could say he was less then objective on the subject of Talbot! Funnily enough, Talbot seems to have a very similar history to Moore. Did a superb job at one club, but consistently failed to live up to that since.

What you mean like.....

* Lomax is one of the best young prospects at the club (I just dont want to play him)

* Eardley deserves the captains armband (No he doesn't, he is a kid who's game has suffered by having it)

* Shez, why dont we try playing Taylor on the right (Dont tell me how to run my team blah blah blah!!!)

* We have no keepers, and by the way the young lad who has been on the bench isnt ready either (Whats the dialing code for Sheffield???)

* Post Crewe last season, Gordon Lawton asks shez - Why did we change the formation (Shez reply, Gordon what you know about football you can write on the back of a stamp. Nothing to do with his asking the same question on the lips of every latics fan

* All out attack (We muster three lackluster performances with little action

* We need a striker... (Get one then "Oh Leon Clarke") (I have money, but none are the right player)

Im not saying sack the guy, but he needs some advice, but know way will he have that!!!!

awesome post eddie...... agree with every word.....

He drove fans away from the club in their droves.

Not doing the tango with Derek over Moore for the 195th time (most of which IMO :grin: is rubbish) but just found the above line very ironic. Despite the awfulness of BT and us heading into League Two which in itself would knock the number of fans attending the following season, we had an average of over 5700 (peaking with promoted Barnsleys 7700 attendance) and only once did the crowd dip under 4000 under Moore. Whereas, with Shez "we've got our club back" it's around 5,300 (with a nice 10,000 attendance from Leeds boosting it) and have been under 4000 a couple of times.

Seems Shez's football is the same if not worse and the fans have infact left "in their droves"...something I predicted would happen under Shez in his 1st season should he struggle. As the spine of Moore's team did well though for Shez in his 1st year, he didn't struggle but on ripping it out (apart from Porter, who never was staying) he has produced nothing dissimilar to Moore at all this season.

Which leads me nicely back to the point I was making earlier in this post.....this season's no different to 2yrs ago, just fans telling it differently. Neither should have left after what was the 1st proper year, with their own squad and if TTA feared for ST sales under Moore in that summer....they must be absolutely cacking themselves now over this summer coming up!!! And by rights, Shez should get what Moore did. Hopefully he won't though....as I say, I'm happy to give any manager that can take us forward, the time to do it. Which despite all the accussations of being Moores secret love child, is the point I've been most stubborn over for the last 3 years :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

I can't help but come to the conclusion that those who honestly believe Rocastle was rubbish never saw him play in an away match.

He was far from rubbish, and arguably would have made just as good a squad player as Kalala has done. But he's never going to be an Allott or a Wellens is he?

Re the Northampton fan Kets, you could say he was less then objective on the subject of Talbot! Funnily enough, Talbot seems to have a very similar history to Moore. Did a superb job at one club, but consistently failed to live up to that since.

:censored: me Garcon....I don't think I've ever read a post so utterly correct at one point and so utterly incorrect and apalling in another. Spot on about Rocastle...you've said exactly what I was going to say about away games. But to then claim Talbot and Moore have a very similar history....come on fella....you're talking a big steaming pile there! It's really worrying that some people think and talk about Moore like he nearly took us down in his full season here.....if he did, he'd be similar to Talbot and I could understand the anger and bile. Just an incredible and IMO stupid statement! Oh well....

I'm not trying to directly compare the tenures at Latics of Moore and Talbot.

But their managerial careers do have great parallels.

Talbot's only real success was at Rushden and Diamonds, where clearly he had something very special going at that club. Something he's been singularly unable to replicate elsewhere.

Surely even you can see that exactly the same goes for Ronnie. Great success at Rotherham - where everything seemed to fit - but he just hasn't managed to get that going anywhere else.

In that sense, they're very similar.

This Ronnie thing really is an obsession for you isn't it? Jumping to his defence against slights that weren't even there. As it happens, as recorded elsewhere in these pages, although I didn't much fancy his style I wasn't one of the Ronnie outers. I would have given him another season. As it happens, he didn't get another season. I'm sure he's got over it by now, and so have I. Maybe it's time you did too? :grin:

I'm not trying to directly compare the tenures at Latics of Moore and Talbot.

But their managerial careers do have great parallels.

Talbot's only real success was at Rushden and Diamonds, where clearly he had something very special going at that club. Something he's been singularly unable to replicate elsewhere.

Surely even you can see that exactly the same goes for Ronnie. Great success at Rotherham - where everything seemed to fit - but he just hasn't managed to get that going anywhere else.

In that sense, they're very similar.

This Ronnie thing really is an obsession for you isn't it? Jumping to his defence against slights that weren't even there. As it happens, as recorded elsewhere in these pages, although I didn't much fancy his style I wasn't one of the Ronnie outers. I would have given him another season. As it happens, he didn't get another season. I'm sure he's got over it by now, and so have I. Maybe it's time you did too? :grin:

Not really....just enjoy pointing out the :censored: people have spouted endlessly for years about him. And I don't even think he has got over it....or he wouldn't be making the silly comments he's made since he left.

However, nope, don't see your comparison whatsoever between a manager who we've real reason to dislike and one who was made a scapegoat from day one (not classing yourself as this) by people who didn't want him from day one...and the rest have followed like sheep. The reason being.....Moore left a club he had massive success with only to go to another club weeks before the end of the season, with it on it's knees and staring down the barrel of relegation, only to keep them up and then have us on the fringe of the playoffs the next season.....compared to a manager who had a limitless budget with R&D who then went to another club only to put it on its knees and staring right into the barrel of relegation.

Nope.....I don't see the similarities at all!!!

If that's classed as Ronnie-arselicking.....couldn't care.....just pointing out I find it incredible that you've compared the two as similar. Oh well.

Edited by boundaryblue80