lets look at this carefully...

with the current state of our squad and our current position I dont believe we are going up this season, infact only the truly never say never fans believe we still have a chance,

and providing we dont lose every game of the season and the teams at the bottom win every single game I dont think we are going down either!

so where does this leave us? in no mans land, whilst this may be boring, its also a chance to play our less experienced players and try people in different positions, also shez can start ringing around for players now instead of later, while it means our season is pretty much over early, we now have nothing to lose and the advantage of much more planning, we can look at new players from other clubs, who to keep/get rid of, we can make deals now wihout doncaster noticing!

also if you look at the teams that are likely to go up this season, we can have a look at a few of there players, because when they go up they wil surely sign players of a higher standard, leaving there current players out of favour, we could see if there are any that are interested in us etc.

what do you all think? opinions please

I disagree. Go full throttle, play the best team we have and don't stop until we know we can't secure a playoff place.

Last season our playoff spot was only guaranteed on the last day of the season wasn't it? Imagine if we had took our foot off the pedal then!

I do think that getting into the play offs and failing to win promotion can have a negative impact on your ability to bring new players in during the summer. Mainly just for the reason that you don't have the same amount of time to prepare because you don't know if you are going up or staying down. Sheridan should now be lining up his transfer targets and getting them as early as possible....Easier said than done i know because the better players tend to hold on to get the best deal. But also there are the players that like to secure their future early and then have a relaxing summer knowing they have a contract for another year or two....

I think the better players move on later on in the summer - no chance of securing people now at our level as its the good players at league 1 level which hold the power as they can choose from the offers on the table.

I predict the early part of next season will go like this: a summer which starts full of moaning about not signing people when a few other clubs are, Yeovil will snap up Jack Lester on a free, why the hell didnt we sign him!!! Then there will be a flurry of transfer activity by ourselves, followed by muchos debating on the merit of our new signings, especially any of those returning to the club, then there will be a blind optimism that we have finally got the missing pieces to the jigsaw, that our new striker is the best in the division and Lee Hughes will get 30+ goals with a full preseason under his belt. Then the season will roll into action and after a slow start Shez will shuffle the pack a bit and the boys will pick up, oh and a couple of signings will instantly become boo-boys as they fail to live up to their (over)hype:)

I do think that getting into the play offs and failing to win promotion can have a negative impact on your ability to bring new players in during the summer. Mainly just for the reason that you don't have the same amount of time to prepare because you don't know if you are going up or staying down. Sheridan should now be lining up his transfer targets and getting them as early as possible....Easier said than done i know because the better players tend to hold on to get the best deal. But also there are the players that like to secure their future early and then have a relaxing summer knowing they have a contract for another year or two....

Was just about to write something similar. I think we missed out on signings at the end of last season as we had to play a couple of extra games and didn't know which division we were going to play in etc. Even if we make it into the playoffs, there's no guarantee that we will make it up anyway.

Edited by jorvik_latic

Was just about to write something similar. I think we missed out on signings at the end of last season as we had to play a couple of extra games and didn't know which division we were going to play in etc. Even if we make it into the playoffs, there's no guarantee that we will make it up anyway.

Playoffs, don't forget, also bring in extra cash, which may enable us to get one more player in, or pay that bit extra to secure other players.

"A chance to play our less experienced players" ?? What have we been doing for the past 8 weeks?? :huh:

I mean players such as black etc. who have barely made it onto the subs bench and even then just through injury, to be honest I agree with all thats said i was just thinking that we might miss out on a few chances of signing some quality has past experiences have shown us, players could well be attracted to us more now we are established near the top of the division as opposed to the one season playoff one season relegation battle we used to have

If we are writing the season off when we are three points from play-offs with one game to go, we would think it was absurd. Why in the world should we do the same now? I honestly believe that as fans an awful lot of us, myself included, went into the play off semis downgrading our expectations – the way our season fell away we didn’t believe we would beat Blackpool. Despite all the downs, our season has been about gradually creeping up the league, yet we should pull the plug now? Let’s have a bit of hope about the place, there’s no excuse in any sport for giving up until the final whistle. If we do that this season, then why won’t our same young players think it’s OK to give it up if we aren’t in an automatic promo place this time next season?

You should always play the strongest team you can in this league until you can neither go down nor up (even via the playoffs). This could well mean that only the last few games are suitable for playing more kids than necessary, but I hope none are. Even if our season is over we should only play the kids that have been regulars on the bench this season to give them some much needed first team experience (Josh Bell and Paul Black spring to mind). Plus we could well have some people returning from injury and it would be good if they could get some games under their belt before the season finishes as i'd think pre-season is much harder if you haven't played in the last few weeks (or months) of the season. Plus at least one player who is injured deserves a send-off as i don't think we should renew his contract next year.

Agree 100%. For Shez to quote that he thinks it's too late for the Play-Offs is madness. We're only three points behind and have more than just the one game to get those points. When it's mathematically impossible then we can down tools BUT only then!

What message does that spell out to those players on the pitch but more importantly to those fans who have shelled hard earned money to watch the remaining number of games? If we're shutting up shop in March then will the club give the fans a refund on the remainder of their season ticket?

How many loan deals can we still do this season? Deadline Day is next Thursday; let's get a few new faces in - up front, in defence and in midfield - and have a damn good go at getting that Play-Off place.

I can't see any negatives if we lose once we reach the Play-Offs. In fact, imagine who we can attract to the club WHEN we win the Play-Offs and ONCE we're in the Championship?!

Edited by Midsblue

Not sure why people are throwing in the towel. In truth, I don't think we'll make it, but FFS we're one win off 6th! Keep going, keep playing the best team we can field...the foot should remain firmly on the pedal until it is mathematically impossible for us not to go up.

Anyway, I have a £20 bet we'll finish above Orient...we at least need to do that...

If we are writing the season off when we are three points from play-offs with one game to go, we would think it was absurd. Why in the world should we do the same now? I honestly believe that as fans an awful lot of us, myself included, went into the play off semis downgrading our expectations – the way our season fell away we didn’t believe we would beat Blackpool. Despite all the downs, our season has been about gradually creeping up the league, yet we should pull the plug now? Let’s have a bit of hope about the place, there’s no excuse in any sport for giving up until the final whistle. If we do that this season, then why won’t our same young players think it’s OK to give it up if we aren’t in an automatic promo place this time next season?

Spot on....sadly, this negativity which Shez exudes in bucketloads has most people feeling the same way. Although I don't think we'll make it, we seriously are only a win off the playoffs no matter what spin is put on it. Totally unacceptable to be raising the white flag as it is.....and not much help in the way of PR for a club trying to get fans through its gates. Again, can't see TTA being very impressed at all at the attitude being displayed about our chances.....I can be a realist about them, but Shez can't. His job isn't to be a realist, it's to shoot for the moon. But he didn't last year (7pts for the playoffs, when being a few points behind 2nd) and he's done the same again :disappointed:

I can't see any negatives if we lose once we reach the Play-Offs.

Spot on! People can talk about saving the budget for next season, but any extra spent now would be repaid over the 2 games if we made the playoffs. Just plain common sense to aim for it.....but.....we're giving up.....even our previous managers never gave up, despite their failings (and yes, Moore had some, just I rarely get chance to air them for sticking up for him over other rubbish spouted!) :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

I might honestly have missed it, but when did Shez throw the towel in? I saw him say that Saturday wasn't good enough for playoffs, just after he had said that it was disappointing because we had been good the few days before. Surely that just means he isn't utterly deluded?

Or maybe he is trying to aleviate some of the pressure on the young players by telling them not to feel the pressure of expectation - players enjoying their football tend to play better, players feeling the pressure(particularly inexperienced ones)tend to go into their shell as happened in the last third of last season eg Eardley(last season).

I don't believe any manager with his team are only 3 points outside of the play offs with 8 games to go and hopefully senior players to come back decides that the season is over.

We need players enjoying playing this weekend which everybody knows could be make or break

Good to see the attitides of many on this thread lets keep going if we don't make it it won't be the end of the world but lets give the play offs a damn good go If we have given it a damn good go and have missed out narrowly I won't be hugely disappointed If we can give the excuse of injuries and inexperience then fair enough atleast it won't be through a lack of effort.

Spot on! People can talk about saving the budget for next season, but any extra spent now would be repaid over the 2 games if we made the playoffs. Just plain common sense to aim for it.....but.....we're giving up.....even our previous managers never gave up, despite their failings (and yes, Moore had some, just I rarely get chance to air them for sticking up for him over other rubbish spouted!) :grin:

and if we dont make the play offs? not saying i think we should be planning for next season at this stage, but i wouldnt go out and splash the cash on yet another loan signing. tbh they have in the large part been gash this year, and one more isnt going to pull us out of the mire. if we are to make the playoffs, it should be with the current crop we have.

with the current state of our squad and our current position I dont believe we are going up this season, infact only the truly never say never fans believe we still have a chance,

and providing we dont lose every game of the season and the teams at the bottom win every single game I dont think we are going down either!

so where does this leave us? in no mans land, whilst this may be boring, its also a chance to play our less experienced players and try people in different positions, also shez can start ringing around for players now instead of later, while it means our season is pretty much over early, we now have nothing to lose and the advantage of much more planning, we can look at new players from other clubs, who to keep/get rid of, we can make deals now wihout doncaster noticing!

also if you look at the teams that are likely to go up this season, we can have a look at a few of there players, because when they go up they wil surely sign players of a higher standard, leaving there current players out of favour, we could see if there are any that are interested in us etc.

what do you all think? opinions please

imagine shez did this he would be hung out to dry

PUSH ON AND EVERYONE TO DONCASTER

We are actually not in charge of the situation we are in, due to the injury situation we were not even able to field a full bench last week.

Whether we play less or more youngsters isn't a choice Shez is having to make as we are just looking round for the required number of fit bodies to fill the bench.

We should never give up hope of winning any game we play and therefore our play-off chances.

Black is currently injured so not an option and with regard to Bell I don't even see much point having him on the bench as Shez is clearly not prepared to give him even one minute of game time at the moment as he proved when 2-0 up against Bournemouth and Crossley barely able to walk.

We have been fielding a great number of our youngsters for a large part of the season already anyway.

The standard of player you wish to give game time is that of smalley, allessandra, lomax etc, but they are already in the team due to injury (yes they have proven there worth, but they wouldnt have got their chance in the first place) Bell and Black would be no where near the first team if we had a fully fit squad.