John Thompson

Firsty, I think Latics fans have been very harsh on Thommo this season. He's had no time to prove himself, and the odd slip up in games he's played has meant, typically for Latics, get on his back and make assumptions about him.

He had a cracking pre-season, Tranmere rated him very highly, and Shez aint no mug and wouldnt bring him in for nothing.

So, here's his time to show what he's all about. And i think he's gonna do that for the remainder of the season where he will probs get a half decent chance of doing so. He, of all people will be most frustrated and itching to prove a point.

Alot will disagree, but just watch him come in and show us what he's made of.

You can hold me against this one :shifty:

He played well at Luton by all accounts.

More interesting were his comments that it was the first time that he had played free from pain since joining us. Now that he appears clear of injury, let's hope the lad can now come in and show why he was rated by fans at both Forest and Tranmere.

Shows a lot that he was prepared to play for us (and risk his career) despite not being 100% fit. He also played for a few weeks with a broken nose as he didn't want to miss games which would have happened if he'd had the re-setting operation sooner.

No need for him to be a superstar but a steady CB like Hazell would do me just fine.

No need for him to be a superstar but a steady CB like Hazell would do me just fine.

He did play well at Luton and hopefully will be continually better than the injured shambles we saw earlier in the season.

I think you are mixed up in the above though. 'He can be steady, but would rather he was a superstar like Hazell', is what I think you meant to say. :)

He did play well at Luton and hopefully will be continually better than the injured shambles we saw earlier in the season.

That's it. I hope he can pick up where he left off on Saturday. Clearly wasn't the ideal scenario with only half a reserve game in preparation for a return after such a long lay off but he did well.

Thompson has been very poor in most of his games for us this season, and if i remember rightly didnt he score an own goal in pre season?

but!!!!!!!!

I, like all fans should do, am willing to give him a clean slate. as Inspiral says, he hasnt been fully fit in his time with usnd now is his time to shine.

We have signed a new lad at centre back ya know. Thmpson I think he is called. Forest and Tranmere think he is a quality player. roll on sat!!

Firsty, I think Latics fans have been very harsh on Thommo this season. He's had no time to prove himself, and the odd slip up in games he's played has meant, typically for Latics, get on his back and make assumptions about him.

He had a cracking pre-season, Tranmere rated him very highly, and Shez aint no mug and wouldnt bring him in for nothing.

So, here's his time to show what he's all about. And i think he's gonna do that for the remainder of the season where he will probs get a half decent chance of doing so. He, of all people will be most frustrated and itching to prove a point.

"He had a cracking pre-season"

Wow....there's stretches of imagination and then there's stretches of the imagination! I'm sure you must've missed Barrow and Clyde...the latter just being the most unbelievable defensive performance I've ever seen! Only pre-season game I missed was Macc away and I didn't hear any rave reviews at all about him!

All in all....he had an utterly gash pre-season. And little better when the real stuff began. But I do hope he turns it around because I, unlike some at OAFC it seems, would like to see the white flag put back in the pocket and us try and prolong the season as long as possible. To the end of May if possible! Which means if, as expected, Thompson comes back in....I hope he does well. I can't see it though....I just couldn't understand the signing in the first place. 2006-7....3 games vs us and watched him and his defence leak 8 goals.....we'll see if I'm right or wrong. Simply put....if he is there in the moment, he MIGHT stop a guy passing...but he ain't there nearly enough, his positional sense is woeful and early season that led to problems all over the defence as they tried plugging the gaps. Position sense is in the head and nothing down to fitness. When Shearer lost his pace, he beat people through his positional sense. Unless that was his injury, I can't see him being any better than what I've seen when playing against us or for us. I wasn't wrong about Branston or Arber when I saw the same either.....just hope he proves me wrong!

Edited by boundaryblue80

More interesting were his comments that it was the first time that he had played free from pain since joining us. Now that he appears clear of injury, let's hope the lad can now come in and show why he was rated by fans at both Forest and Tranmere.

Shows a lot that he was prepared to play for us (and risk his career) despite not being 100% fit. He also played for a few weeks with a broken nose as he didn't want to miss games which would have happened if he'd had the re-setting operation sooner.

EEEXXXCCCUUSSSEE ME.... Hazell a steady centre back. He would have been player of the season if it hadn't been for that bloody Mark Allott..... :D There's steam coming out of me ears and everything now. STEADY well I never!!!!

Edited by happyterryb

"He had a cracking pre-season"

Wow....there's stretches of imagination and then there's stretches of the imagination! I'm sure you must've missed Barrow and Clyde...the latter just being the most unbelievable defensive performance I've ever seen! Only pre-season game I missed was Macc away and I didn't hear any rave reviews at all about him!

All in all....he had an utterly gash pre-season. And little better when the real stuff began. But I do hope he turns it around because I, unlike some at OAFC it seems, would like to see the white flag put back in the pocket and us try and prolong the season as long as possible. To the end of May if possible! Which means if, as expected, Thompson comes back in....I hope he does well. I can't see it though....I just couldn't understand the signing in the first place. 2006-7....3 games vs us and watched him and his defence leak 8 goals.....we'll see if I'm right or wrong. Simply put....if he is there in the moment, he MIGHT stop a guy passing...but he ain't there nearly enough, his positional sense is woeful and early season that led to problems all over the defence as they tried plugging the gaps. Position sense is in the head and nothing down to fitness. When Shearer lost his pace, he beat people through his positional sense. Unless that was his injury, I can't see him being any better than what I've seen when playing against us or for us. I wasn't wrong about Branston or Arber when I saw the same either.....just hope he proves me wrong!

blimey....most people have rough games pre season,due to lack of fitness etc.

you ever considered being a manager

blimey....most people have rough games pre season,due to lack of fitness etc.

you ever considered being a manager

I've watched many friendlies over many years. And seen poor games by players which is all fine and dandy....but that Clyde game....well, you just have to see the goals to know what I mean. Those who were there will know exactly what I mean. The first one was probably one of the most ridiculous I've ever seen and I've watched pub team games! :wink: Anyway....as I say....on we go. Hope he sorts himself out.

In tonight's often wrong online Chron Shez says admits he has played Thommo when he shouldn't have done and he's intent on making sure Gregan is fit for next season.

Shez says “I expected a lot more after bringing him in last summer, but he played when he shouldn’t have done and has struggled with his knee.

“We’ll miss Reuben Hazell because he has been consistent and is one of our few talkers on the pitch, but the season hasn’t kicked on for Thommo and this is his chance.

“He did okay when he came on at Luton last week. He got stuck in and showed desire to keep a clean sheet with 10 men – he has got what you want from a defender.”

Thompson (26) started the first eight games of the season after joining Athletic as a free agent from Nottingham Forest.

He was then dropped before suffering two long absences, making only one senior appearance – for five minutes at Everton in the FA Cup – between late October and last weekend.

Athletic are desperately hoping their injury crisis will ease ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Millwall at Boundary Park.

Midfielder Mark Allott (hamstring) and striker Lewis Alessandra (Achilles) are both considered 50-50 to return.

With veteran ’keeper Mark Crossley ruled out, Athletic have extended Richard O’Donnell’s loan from Sheffield Wednesday for another seven days.

O’Donnell makes his home debut, but number-two Josh Bell is under treatment for a knee problem. Fellow trainee Josh Ollerenshaw (17) could be on the bench.

David Livermore is back and Sean Gregan may also be involved after five months out, but Athletic are refusing to hurry back their captain.

Sheridan explained: “More than anything, Sean needs to be right for next season. I won’t play him for the sake of it.”

In tonight's often wrong online Chron Shez says admits he has played Thommo when he shouldn't have done and he's intent on making sure Gregan is fit for next season.

Shez says “I expected a lot more after bringing him in last summer, but he played when he shouldn’t have done and has struggled with his knee.

“We’ll miss Reuben Hazell because he has been consistent and is one of our few talkers on the pitch, but the season hasn’t kicked on for Thommo and this is his chance.

“He did okay when he came on at Luton last week. He got stuck in and showed desire to keep a clean sheet with 10 men – he has got what you want from a defender.â€

Thompson (26) started the first eight games of the season after joining Athletic as a free agent from Nottingham Forest.

He was then dropped before suffering two long absences, making only one senior appearance – for five minutes at Everton in the FA Cup – between late October and last weekend.

Athletic are desperately hoping their injury crisis will ease ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Millwall at Boundary Park.

Midfielder Mark Allott (hamstring) and striker Lewis Alessandra (Achilles) are both considered 50-50 to return.

With veteran ’keeper Mark Crossley ruled out, Athletic have extended Richard O’Donnell’s loan from Sheffield Wednesday for another seven days.

O’Donnell makes his home debut, but number-two Josh Bell is under treatment for a knee problem. Fellow trainee Josh Ollerenshaw (17) could be on the bench.

David Livermore is back and Sean Gregan may also be involved after five months out, but Athletic are refusing to hurry back their captain.

Sheridan explained: “More than anything, Sean needs to be right for next season. I won’t play him for the sake of it.â€

2 things....I do hear he had a "good game" vs Luton, but at 3-0 I can't imagine Luton were hammering at the door to score bucketloads and that the game became a bit of "going through the motions" for large parts. It sounded that way to me on the commentary. Not that much of an achievement really...but it is a start I suppose.

Also, if Shez refused to play Bell when 2-0 and Crossley clearly injured, then what point is there of him sticking Ollerenshaw on the bench? Is it in the scenario that a massive eagle swoops down and clean swipes off O'Donnells head?

Edited by boundaryblue80

2 things....I do hear he had a "good game" vs Luton, but at 3-0 I can't imagine Luton were hammering at the door to score bucketloads and that the game became a bit of "going through the motions" for large parts. It sounded that way to me on the commentary. Not that much of an achievement really...but it is a start I suppose.

Also, if Shez refused to play Bell when 2-0 and Crossley clearly injured, then what point is there of him sticking Ollerenshaw on the bench? Is it in the scenario that a massive eagle swoops down and clean swipes off O'Donnells head?

Everything is comparative. Thommo had a "good game" because he played better than when he has had his nightmare games.

Luton had already won the game by half-time, but if it hadn't been for three brilliant saves from O'Donnell, the scoreline would have accurately reflected the difference between the two teams.

Everything is comparative. Thommo had a "good game" because he played better than when he has had his nightmare games.

Luton had already won the game by half-time, but if it hadn't been for three brilliant saves from O'Donnell, the scoreline would have accurately reflected the difference between the two teams.

Lol, so the defence can't have been that good after all....

Also, it seems Shez was watching a different game to others....

"“He did okay when he came on at Luton last week. He got stuck in and showed desire to keep a clean sheet with 10 men – he has got what you want from a defender.â€

Clean sheet when he came on? But he came on, on 33 and then we let the 3rd one in Shez....oh well...

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=547325

Seriously though, I do hope he does do it for us. And if he's MOTM tomoz, I'll be the first to admit it. Just not sure he's got it in his locker....and if he has, he'll have to do it a few times for my liking after what I've seen so far esp as I don't buy any of this injury baloney (he looked fit enough to me, just no idea where to position himself.)

PS Damn bloody English cricketers!!! KP goes as I type....grrr....

Edited by boundaryblue80

he only lasted 9mins ,he went off hurt again

sorry mate but

The guy seems a nervous wreck when he gets the ball, he only go the ball once and he didn't clear it properly.

He only lasted 10 Mins what do you expect him to do when he has been out for most of the season. He will more than likely be out for the remained of this season now as well.

Would never have played today if Ruben hadn't been sent off last week, he clearly wasn't ready to return with a full game.

The club need to take a serious look at how these injury's are happening and what they should change to help them occuring.

Edited by AMO

FFS he only lasted 10 Mins what do you expect him to do when he has been out for most of the season. He will more than likely be out for the remained of this season now as well.

Would never have played today if Ruben hadn't been sent off last week, he clearly wasn't ready to return with a full game.

The club need to take a serious look at how these injury's are happening and what they should change to help them occuring.

I agree. I think that is the last time he has played for us too.

FFS he only lasted 10 Mins what do you expect him to do when he has been out for most of the season. He will more than likely be out for the remained of this season now as well.

I've never rated Thompson, he's always seemed edgy, nervous and his defending seems erratic. Today I came with an open mind, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I thought "Hey he's been injured maybe we'll see a better side of him", but he got the ball once today before he went off and cleared the ball along the ground to the nearest Millwall player, I don't like bashing players but I do not think Thompson is good enough.

I've never rated Thompson, he's always seemed edgy, nervous and his defending seems erratic. Today I came with an open mind, I gave him the benefit of the doubt and I thought "Hey he's been injured maybe we'll see a better side of him", but he got the ball once today before he went off and cleared the ball along the ground to the nearest Millwall player, I don't like bashing players but I do not think Thompson is good enough.

Most of the back 4 have been guilty of that at some point this season. Why is Thompson different. I like yourself came with a open mind and with alot of desire for the lad to prove his critics wrong. My mind is still open, but sadly I doubt we will see him again in a Blue shirt again. No doubt he will return to BP with a new club and play out of his skin against us.

Rushing Thompson back was a disaster waiting to happen and provides yet more proof of a non existent transfer policy at the club. Who will be the next victim of our our penny pinching ? Probably Gregan will have to be thrown back in to soon and risk the same outcome that Thommo got today. For gods sake get some loan players in and at the least save some of out current long term injured having to come back to soon.

Rushing Thompson back was a disaster waiting to happen and provides yet more proof of a non existent transfer policy at the club. Who will be the next victim of our our penny pinching ? Probably Gregan will have to be thrown back in to soon and risk the same outcome that Thommo got today. For gods sake get some loan players in and at the least save some of out current long term injured having to come back to soon.

Not going to happen really is it, our transfer activity is over for this season.