i have just watched the highlights of the forest game on OAFCguy's Blog. If you notice, Liddell puts a couple of cracking crosses in for the goals and thats what we have been missing this season. the thing is tho, that game was over a year ago, and Liddell hasnt put in that standard of cross consistantly since around Feb/March last year. tbh i have consistantly said i think Liddell needs replacing at the end of the season, as i personally think he is past it, but we need to replace him with an out and out winger. we simply have been far too narrow this year, and how many goals have been scored from a cross? this is the main area of contention in the close season i believe.

Liddell's legs have seen better days not and he reminds me a lot of Neil Adams when he returned to the club from Norwich. Given time and space they can deliver a good cross but if they are marked by a decent fullback they dont have the pace anymore to beat the man. I would be surprised if Shez offers another contract to Liddell and in my mind we would be better off spending the Liddell wage on a younger player.

i have just watched the highlights of the forest game on OAFCguy's Blog. If you notice, Liddell puts a couple of cracking crosses in for the goals and thats what we have been missing this season. the thing is tho, that game was over a year ago, and Liddell hasnt put in that standard of cross consistantly since around Feb/March last year. tbh i have consistantly said i think Liddell needs replacing at the end of the season, as i personally think he is past it, but we need to replace him with an out and out winger. we simply have been far too narrow this year, and how many goals have been scored from a cross? this is the main area of contention in the close season i believe.

Lidds should be given a one year contract, if we can get him fit he's a great attribute and we've really missed him this year...if we can get a left winger in and play Tayls on the right, Liddell would be useful to bring on as a sub for the last half an hour in a game.

A left winger is a must so we can move Tayls across to where he's best.

Lidds should be given a one year contract, if we can get him fit he's a great attribute and we've really missed him this year...if we can get a left winger in and play Tayls on the right, Liddell would be useful to bring on as a sub for the last half an hour in a game.

I too think he would be a great squad player, someone to bring on in the last 20 minutes, he transformed out game against Swansea at home. BUT can we really afford to take the risk? If he gets injured again he could miss another huge chunk of next season and then it's wages down the pan, wages we could have used on someone else. And would Liddell at his age be willing to play 20 minutes a week?

"since around Feb/March last year"

Sorry, wanted to just correct that. He didn't do it consistently again after that Forest game which was Jan 1st.....he disappeared after then only to produce one at Brighton away during the rest of the season that I can recall. Coinciding with Porter stopping scoring also.

You're correct that we've lost that cross he undoubtly can produce. But he stopped taking on fullbacks or venturing into space when it presented itself and worse still, the Lids-Eardley overlapping ceased (which led to Lids getting more room to cross.)

One final thing..."we simply have been far too narrow this year"

Again, totally agree. And many times that's been down to Shez fitting in his lads like the Hartlepool game. When Smalley does play on the right, we're so much better. Be interesting to see, with Livermore fit, whether he'll move Taylor to the RW and put David on the LW (ala Port Vale.) Knowing Shez, he'll probably just drop Lomax again though :disappointed:

Edited by boundaryblue80

He is going to be offered a contract, on reduced terms though i would presume, which i think is right . im sure some will disagree though (especially BB80!) im sure he'll prove them wrong next season like Allott has done this season

Somebody must have erased the memory from my mind of Liddell skinning his fullback for pace in his first season - when was that ever his game? He always looked for the first time cross if it was on and pass the ball if it wasn't. Whether to take him next year would be all about what he is willing to accept I guess, but I certainly wouldn't write him off finishing this season on a high.

Somebody must have erased the memory from my mind of Liddell skinning his fullback for pace in his first season - when was that ever his game? He always looked for the first time cross if it was on and pass the ball if it wasn't. Whether to take him next year would be all about what he is willing to accept I guess, but I certainly wouldn't write him off finishing this season on a high.

TBH, my concern isn't so much skinning them for pace, but the sheer lack of moving into space when it has actually opened up (which when teams doubled up on Taylor in the first season, it did!)...that annoyed the :censored: out of me. And yes, like you say, he'd either cross 1st time or pass back....while that space was still there to use. Didn't need masses amount of pace....just the nouse to use the better option rather than pass back and teams fill in.

:huh: Who?

Must be some sort of forgotten reserve player or something... cant remember anyone by that name contributing anything to latics for the last 18 Months?

He is going to be offered a contract, on reduced terms though i would presume, which i think is right . im sure some will disagree though (especially BB80!) im sure he'll prove them wrong next season like Allott has done this season

Is that fact or just blind hope???

Thought we had a poll on this very recently at BB80's creation which showed that we all conclusively :wink: think he is rubbish???

Game over Mr Lidds... thanks and bye...

Its 99% certain. I personally thought that he would be released (though i wouldnt have agreed with that) I suppose it will all come down to what the club is willing to offer him and what he is willing to accept

I know Hughes was looking forward to playing alongside him when he got back from injury, unnfortunatly now Hughes is injured thats not going to happen this season. Should he still be here next season i fully expect Hughes to thrive on the balls Lids will put in the box for him as Porter did last season.

Edited by Gemma06

:huh: Who?

Must be some sort of forgotten reserve player or something... cant remember anyone by that name contributing anything to latics for the last 18 Months?

Thought we had a poll on this very recently at BB80's creation which showed that we all conclusively :wink: think he is rubbish???

Game over Mr Lidds... thanks and bye...

i think the club should offer him a 12 month contract,on reduced terms with the offer of helping him out to get his coaching badge,i think he could do a good job with the young uns,his experience is immense.

and he could still come on and do a job from the bench,maybe a holding midfielder who just picks the right passes,similar to shez when his legs had gone.

Whats the obsession with a winger having to beat his man? Yeah it's more pleasing to see but surely the most important thing is that the winger creates opportunities for the team by delivering quality crosses, passes to attack?

Lids is a quality player who can do just that and if he can get over his injury problems is well worth another season.

Same happens with England, Beckham isn't the player to beat his man down the wing for pace but his crossing is fantastic and without him in the last world cup we'd have gone out a lot sooner, yet everyone seems to prefer Lennon who has got great pace and skills yet fails to create chances!

Whats the obsession with a winger having to beat his man? Yeah it's more pleasing to see but surely the most important thing is that the winger creates opportunities for the team by delivering quality crosses, passes to attack?

Lids is a quality player who can do just that and if he can get over his injury problems is well worth another season.

Same happens with England, Beckham isn't the player to beat his man down the wing for pace but his crossing is fantastic and without him in the last world cup we'd have gone out a lot sooner, yet everyone seems to prefer Lennon who has got great pace and skills yet fails to create chances!

the argument isnt about what Liddell brings to the team, as without doubt he is the best crosser of the ball in the league imo. the question is how much pitch time he will get next year. he has been out for a long period of his three years with us, and he isnt getting any younger. imo he will simply be a fixture in the physio's room next year, and that, coupled with his above average wage demands means i wouldnt take the risk.

I think we've lacked someone who can take a decent set-peice since Killkenny left, I think something like 1/3 of the goals scored in the Football League last season came from set-peices and we've lacked them recently

Dont let Eardley hear you say that :wink:

the argument isnt about what Liddell brings to the team, as without doubt he is the best crosser of the ball in the league imo. the question is how much pitch time he will get next year. he has been out for a long period of his three years with us, and he isnt getting any younger. imo he will simply be a fixture in the physio's room next year, and that, coupled with his above average wage demands means i wouldnt take the risk.

the thing is,he is over this latest injury,which for any player is a big one. there is absolutely no evedence to support your theory of him not playing games due to injury,other than the fact you think he is to old and his legs have gone.

you could just as easily say that of greegan,hughes,davies and stam again. so if there contracts were up would you offer them another one???

I think we've lacked someone who can take a decent set-peice since Killkenny left, I think something like 1/3 of the goals scored in the Football League last season came from set-peices and we've lacked them recently

So where does that fit in with Liddell? For me, his set-pieces have been utterly disappointing when he's had them. So much so he was taken off them originally and given to Eardley and even Ricketts took one or two early season.

I think liddell has been a great player for us but i think that will end at the end of the season.

I think he will be offered a new contract, but on significantly lower wages than the chunk he uses up now (because of his injury record) and decline to look for better money. I hope i am wrong however and he does stay for another season.