Can anyone please tell me what the hell our keeper was doing - did he have a lot of money on Savage scoring the first goal cause he certainly handed it on a plate for him - that has to be one of the all time gafs from a keeper if not

I couldn't see that from where I was, I thought the mistake was a rare one from Stam for letting the man through; but for me our young keeper had a very good match.

:cardinal:

I couldn't see that from where I was, I thought the mistake was a rare one from Stam for letting the man through; but for me our young keeper had a very good match.

Well Savage came in one on one from the left wing, O'Donnell went walkabout and when coming out to close him down was standing outside his near post. Savage was able to tap it into effectively an open goal.

will someone please explain what the keeper did wrong. i thought it was bad marking and didnt put any blame on the keeper but this obviously seems to be wrong.

Covering the angle has gone out of the window.....basically the keeper was stood on the outside of the post leaving the striker literally with an empty net to tap into, no awareness. It's a shame because he seemed to be playing rather comfortably (granted he didn't have much to do) up until then, but I'm hardly going to blame the keeper for the result, the whole team played naff until the last 10 minutes, in fact you could say conceding the goal gave the team the kick up the backside they needed, not that I excuse the keeper, but that mistake was his contribution to a terrible performance by the whole team. I know people will want to hang O'Donnell from the nearest lamp post, but it's the management's fault for placing the onus on such a young lad, we brought him in and if he doesn't fit the bill that's the management's mistake.

Gary Mac was probably my MOTM.

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Very bad mistake. I sit in the lookers and im sure i wasn't the only one who could see a goal when you saw the positioning. Shame really as he seemed to do some good throws out, but was a bit rash with his kicking at the last minute being closed down by their striker!

MOTM for me was Gary Mac.

Can't put the blame all on the keeper but he does have to take some responsability for it, but it can also be put down to being inexperienced.

The striker should never have been allowed to get into that position in the first place.

Can't put the blame all on the keeper but he does have to take some responsability for it, but it can also be put down to being inexperienced.

The striker should never have been allowed to get into that position in the first place.

yeah i agree. shouldn't have been allowed to progress that far up the picth considering we'd just had a corner.

Gifted Luton a goal last Saturday

Which one was that? The one where a striker turned Hazell at close range? The penalty for a foul by Hazell? Or the one where Eardley misjudged and gave the scorer a clear run in and time to pick his spot?

Give the kid a chance.

Would it be that rare? Seems to me that Stam always drops at least one clanger in each game and it's all about whether anything come of it.

Maybe gifted was too strong a word, but he did most the net wide open for the third.

Personally, I thought it just a well-placed shot but this is no big deal. I think I was really reacting to your point because I am irritated at such an inexperienced lad being exposed like this in the first place. We have been without senior cover in goal for much of the season. Sheridan has publicly said he does not think Bell is ready so the management really should have lined up an experienced stand-in for Crossley long before the situation became a crisis. No way are we ever going to be a top-six side if on the run-in to th end of the season, we gamble on the fitness of a 38-year-old veteran.

O'Donnell lost his bearings and got the angle wrong but to be fair it was already a 1 on 1 situation so the forward already had the chance, O'Donnell just made it easier to finish. Apart from that he had an ok game with a defence that he has never played behind before.

It wasn't his fault he didn't win and to be fair the 2nd half was a decent performance from a reserve team with a couple of first teamers in it

He did you are correct he was outside of his near post so got his angles wrong - but the striker was already through 1 on 1 meaning they had already got through for a strike on goal, our keeper made it an easier finish. However to blame him is harsh as Millwall beat another 10 players to get to that position thats all.

Mostly he was solid enough

Guest M_OAFC
Maybe gifted was too strong a word, but he did most the net wide open for the third.

I was looking right down the line of the shot for the 3rd and there was nothing wrong with the keeper's positioning. Today however................god only knows how he ended up in that position.

Wow, looks even worse of tv, the keeper gave Savage nearly an open net to shoot at.

To be fair that's the only thing he did wrong all day, I thought he was quite confident and assured for a young lad. His celebration when we scored just showed he realised his mistake.

E4e

KIDDO

Sheridans fault for bringing him in. He is clearly f*ckin garbage not his fault we brought him in though he has cost us any chance of the play offs.

Think it is going a bit over the top to say the lad is garbage. The goal he gave them was a shocker and it did highlight his inexperience but like others have said he did not look terrible before the disaster struck. I do agree though that we should have brought a more experienced keeper in and it is wrong that we have ended up having to play a keeper who had never played a league game before he arrived.

taken from the other thread on Jarrett...

QUOTE(neiladamsheadband @ Mar 23 2008, 11:06 AM)

sorry but for me the keeper was 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

000000000000000000000% at fault had we have crossley, or bell the lad would not have had an esy tap in to score in fact if the great beard miester had been playing he would not of let him had that tap in

if jarrett is going back send in the same taxi as o'donell

Crossley yes probably, but Bell that's just plucking youth team goalies names to make a point. C'mon just because O'donnell isn't from our youth team and bell is doesn't automatically mean Bell would've saved it and O'Donnell wouldn't. Badly positioned yes definately, his fault for the goal - well the few seconds the ball left the strikers foot and went past him - yes. BUT the 90+ yards from our own damn corner - not his try the other 4/5 latics players who had a chance to either deliver the ball, get a challenge in or at least hold a player up!!!!!!!!!

I love all this blind speculation that Bell would be a titan in nets for us... without anyone having any basis to sustantiate this... he is injured - and O'Donnell is all we have got... what would the bashers have us do - play the ginger prince in nets again???

Honestly.... yes, it was pretty poor positioning, which looks even worse when you saw it on tv... but he talks well, commands his box, and his distribution is ok... for a kid at this level that is pretty much all you can expect...

... and anyone who blames him for any goal at Luton, at best has never played in goal in thier lives... at worst is just plain dumb...

Edited by BigfinLatic