RB Eardley/Lomax

CB Gregan/Stam/Hazell/Thompson/?

LB Giddings/?

RW Smalley/Taylor

CM Allott/Livermore

CM Mcdonald/Yantorno/?

LW Schofield/?

FC Hughes/Davies/Alessandra/Wolfy/?

get rid of liddell kalala jarrett and wolfy and thompson if poss, if not keep wolfy n thomo as squad players or get in replacements for them if theyre let go, then have a few youth lads as extra back up.

so wed have 24/25 real decent players as a squad which is what we need, weve seen with 18/19 players it just isnt enough to be able to cover injuries and maintain form etc.

Edited by saddylatic

People are just copying the names from the first post on the main part Giddings & Schofield, it seems as though everyone is expecting us to get Giddings, Can we afford him? Do Coventry want rid? Other championship clubs sniffing? Would he want to drop?

Chris Shuker i'd love here but we aint going to get him, and to the guy who named Paul Smith :bounce: he's the best keeper in the league in my eyes, but there's no chance he will come here. Paul Murray one of my all-time favourite players, but for some reason head tells me no. Just seems so long and he seems to have been injury plaged in the last couple of years.

Who to add? I wouldn't mind seeing Mattew Spring here. Not sure on who else is out of contract/available but surely if Luton go down he will leave although he has been with them quite a while and might repay the loyalty.

Coventry have confirmed they will not be renewing Giddings contract at the end of the season my friend.

Here's one for ya, Paul Scholes. Watch this space. (not literally as you could be here for ever)

GK-Scott Flinders(out of contract),Norm as back-up

LB-Stuart Giddings,Lomax

RB-Eardley

CB-Gregan,Hazell,Thompson,Stam

RM-Taylor

LM-Jonathan Forte,Livermore

CM-Jarrett,Allott,McDonald,Fabian Yantoro,Paul Murray

F-Davies,Leon Clarke,Jamie Ward(if Chesterfield dont come up),Hughes

OUT-Kalala,Liddell

paul murray? oh no not more speculation about him it happeneds every season.

i hope john thompson joins the list with kalala and liddell. i dont rate the guy 1 bit, on alot of money and has nothin about him. liddell will go to play regular 1st team football as he wont be guarenteed it next season with us, great player though and would be brill back up.

Not sure I have heard of that many players that I would think would improve the squad within our financial remit to be honest; but I can do some bye byes.

Money for Eardley though it will be peanuts. About 150K I expect

Release: Taylor (I know it won't happen, but if I was boss it would. It would in fact happen tomorrow). He is shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeee.

Also: Gregan, Kalala, Thompson, Stam, Wolfy and a handful of kids that aren't going to make the grade.

Gilks isn't a bad shout as first string and let Norm go slowly into retirement and coaching.

Lids (on a vastly reduced deal) shares right wing duties with Deano. Macca gets a starting place in the middle given we don't sign a creative midfield player - not sure about this Gretna guy given it is taken by all and sundry that Killen took a step back to go to Hibs who are streets ahead in the bigger scheme because Scottish football is bobbins. The majorities view, not mine.

Lomax starts, Rubes needs a new CD counterpart, Rat needs a play maker next to him (not bloody crocked Murray), we need two left footers,.

Strikers we are not too badly off for given we get a physio, but atm we are paying a lot of money for demics. If Hughes was a lame horse the owner would shoot him.

So, we need loads, but I have no idea who.

KtF,

Derek.

Agree with some bits of that Derek, but disagree with a lot of it.

The big thing with Eardley is that, although I don't rate him as being £1m+ and I would want to keep him, his Welsh understudy Gunter was sold to Spurs for £1.5m + add on's and there was talk of Crewe's right back Danny Woodards going to them Prem for £1m+. Therefore we should look to get at least £1.5m for Eardley if we are going to sell him in the current climate.

I can't see Livermoore going anywhere with the idea of sitting on the bench, and I doubt he'd be looking for that level of wage either. I would certainly like to see him join us next year though. Him and Ratman could work in midfield I think, neither is a playmaker as such but they can both do all aspects of the job to a decent level. Agree with Dan about McDonald BTW - an excellent squad player, indeed one of the better right backs we've had in the last decade (and there have been some pretty bad ones).

I said a while ago on here that it is a toss up between MacDonald and Jarrett come the end of the season, and it's who does more between now (which was a few games ago) and then. I agree that neither are bad ones to have, but fail to have been as inspired by MacDonalds performances as others. I would say he is an average third division squad player and I'm not sure how much better/worse Jarrett is. I guess it's just a case of 'better the devil you don't know'. Which I suppose would be better if I said 'the grass is always greener', but I stick with my first back to front idiom.

Not sure I have heard of that many players that I would think would improve the squad within our financial remit to be honest; but I can do some bye byes.

Release: Taylor (I know it won't happen, but if I was boss it would. It would in fact happen tomorrow). He is shhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeee.

Also: Gregan, Kalala, Thompson, Stam, Wolfy and a handful of kids that aren't going to make the grade.

Gilks isn't a bad shout as first string and let Norm go slowly into retirement and coaching.

Lids (on a vastly reduced deal) shares right wing duties with Deano. Macca gets a starting place in the middle given we don't sign a creative midfield player - not sure about this Gretna guy given it is taken by all and sundry that Killen took a step back to go to Hibs who are streets ahead in the bigger scheme because Scottish football is bobbins. The majorities view, not mine.

Lomax starts, Rubes needs a new CD counterpart, Rat needs a play maker next to him (not bloody crocked Murray), we need two left footers,.

Strikers we are not too badly off for given we get a physio, but atm we are paying a lot of money for demics. If Hughes was a lame horse the owner would shoot him.

KtF,

Derek.

We'l get more for Eardley. To release Taylor would be stupid because even if we did want rid we could get more for him too - I listened to the Donny commentary and their people were raving about him, "Chris Taylor is undoubtedly a very good footballer at this level". Your opinion is wrong - maybe you should give him a clean slate and a chance to make you revise it......or at least tone down the exaggeration!

Also Rubes doesnt need a CD counterpart - he is the captains (and rightfully so to those with short/selective memories).

Doom...glooom....more dooooom, glooooom, doooooom...glooooooooom...doom, a little more doom... add a bit of gloom....

KtF,

Derek.

Have to say Derek, theres pessimism and then theres blind stuborness... I now have this image of you walking around with a permanent personal rain-cloud hovering above your head! :wink:

Just to addresss some of your points - do you honestly think we are that destitute??? We may not be competing with the Donny's or Leeds of this world but there are plenty of players we can afford - you say no players have been suggested but do you honestly think we couldnt afford a released cov player (Giddings) or an unhappy hudders player (Schofield) - both of whom would dramatically improve our squad (and both your acclaimed left footers!) .. The great player merr-go-round means there will be hundreds of players we can afford out there - around 30% of lower div players are out of contract in a couple of months!

As for Eardley - lets get serious - he is on a long term contract, 19 years old and a full international... doubt we will get £1.5m as has been sugeested, but he aint going anywhere for less than £500k - dont forget how young he is, something which so few people do before jumping on his back...

As for your comments on scotland - again just plain wrong "Killen took a step backwards going to Hibs" - yeah, cos we play in a division with clubs who play in the champions league then??? Step back??? Not really, there are some shocking teams, but its lower championship standard at worst... and as for the Gretna guy - fair enough... we dont know too much about him... but he is a creative midfielder who ahs played at the top level in south america and internationally - and took a big gamble to get into european football - it was widely reported he was frequently the best player on the pitch before he got injured... you say we need a creative midfielder - so this is a good shout for me!

Its getting tiresome about taylor - you quote mass opinions affect your opinion on Killen... can you not just give the lad a chance so you can see what 99% of perople out there can - than he is a great palyer at this level - and will get better... just give him a chance!!!

Gregan is Ruuubes CB partner... we may need another body instead of stam/thommo, but not for first choice...

Hughes - come on, if a horse owner was told by a trainer that a horse would win the national next year, but needs an operation to get him better, would he shoot him??? no... even Shez said dont expect anything from him this season - he needs to get back to fitness...

Think thats about it from your post - now lets get back to optimistic posts on who we are going to sign next season!

if Hughes was a lame horse the owner would shoot him.

Behave Derek!

If we were to sell Eardley, which personally i'd be really dissapointed if we did, he go for more than Trotman did, i'd imagine in the current climate transfrer wise we'd bring in £600,000 to £750,000 - alot of teams will be looking for right backs this summer, as the transfer merry-g-round kicks in (Leicester will be down 2 right sided defenders if the rumours of Steaman & Mattock leaving are true just for example)

Also for releasing Gregan, Taylor & Hughes, you really are on glue aren't you??

Gregan has been missed this term, he is our captain and one of our best players when fit.

Taylor is a really good league 1 winger, with hard work & progress, he could be a really good championship one too.

Hughesy - he's shown when he's been fit what a force at this level he can be - fully fit with a pre-season behind him, he'll surpass Porters tally.

If we're to believe you Derek, we might as well give up now for next season eh?

I think with a few key additions into the areas we all know we're short in, then we'll be there or there about next season!!

I forgot stam and thompson on my effort - Stam to be kept as a squad player, get rid of tommo for me, bye bye mr injury!!

Naa, I like stam, makes some mistakes but generally solid - when he came back earlier in the season we started winning (away anyway!)

Seeing we already have a thread for the '08 dreamteam of this season - i'd rather look forward to the 08/09 season... lets have your best guess starting 11 for next year.. and if theres a position/player you want replacing - you have to give a suggestion for who should play there!! (lets keep it realistic!!)

Heres my shout...

GK: Carlo Nash

RB: Kelvin Lomax

CB: The Mighty G ©

CB: Ruuubbbes

LB: Stuart Giddings

RW: The Ginger prince

LW: Danny Schofield

CM: Fabian Yantorno

CM: Mark Allott

CF: Hughesy!

CF: Craig Davies

Subs:

- Macca

- Jarrett

- Livermore

- Alessandra

- Leon Clarke

- Black

- Norm

Squad: Smalley, JP, Kilcourse, Bell, Chambers,

In: Nash (Free), Schofield (free), Yantorno (free), Giddings (Free), Jarrett (free), Livermore (£50k), Clarke (£250k),

Sold: Eardley £500k

Ballboy: Lids

MANAGER: J Sheridan (and his promotion bus - beep beep!)

Thoughts.... for me that team would batter this division - and have the strength in depth we now lack...

I like the look of it, but I disagree with two; Eardley I don't think we should be looking to sell, if that offer does come in then it will be hard to say no, but I'll be happy if no offer comes in. I definitely would not waste half of that on Leon Clarke, some people have a fascination with him; he looked alright when he was here and started well at Southend, but the goals dried up and the Sarfend fans were glad to get shot of him, the Sheff Wednesday fans call him fat and unfit and that he's terrible in The Championship. I'd say Keigan Parker would be a better call, reckon we could get him for less, maybe £150k and he is a lot more versatile, and we've seen what he can do to defences here in League One. I know people think he's an idiot, bad attitude and all that but if he's playing well and scoring goals then I wouldn't be bothered. Parker should be Liddell's replacement.

GK: Carlo Nash

RB: Neal Eardley

CB: Gregan

CB: Rubes

LB: Stuart Giddings

RW: Keigan Parker

LW: Danny Schofield

CM: Fabian Yantorno

CM: Mark Allott

CF: Hughes

CF: Craig Davies

Other squad:

- Macca

- Taylor

- Livermore

- Alessandra

- Lomax

- Crossley

- Kalala

- Stam

- Smalley

Edited by Bring Back Pukka Pies

Have to say Derek, theres pessimism and then theres blind stuborness... I now have this image of you walking around with a permanent personal rain-cloud hovering above your head! :wink:

Just to addresss some of your points - do you honestly think we are that destitute??? We may not be competing with the Donny's or Leeds of this world but there are plenty of players we can afford - you say no players have been suggested but do you honestly think we couldnt afford a released cov player (Giddings) or an unhappy hudders player (Schofield) - both of whom would dramatically improve our squad (and both your acclaimed left footers!) .. The great player merr-go-round means there will be hundreds of players we can afford out there - around 30% of lower div players are out of contract in a couple of months!

As for Eardley - lets get serious - he is on a long term contract, 19 years old and a full international... doubt we will get £1.5m as has been sugeested, but he aint going anywhere for less than £500k - dont forget how young he is, something which so few people do before jumping on his back...

As for your comments on scotland - again just plain wrong "Killen took a step backwards going to Hibs" - yeah, cos we play in a division with clubs who play in the champions league then??? Step back??? Not really, there are some shocking teams, but its lower championship standard at worst... and as for the Gretna guy - fair enough... we dont know too much about him... but he is a creative midfielder who ahs played at the top level in south america and internationally - and took a big gamble to get into european football - it was widely reported he was frequently the best player on the pitch before he got injured... you say we need a creative midfielder - so this is a good shout for me!

Its getting tiresome about taylor - you quote mass opinions affect your opinion on Killen... can you not just give the lad a chance so you can see what 99% of perople out there can - than he is a great palyer at this level - and will get better... just give him a chance!!!

Gregan is Ruuubes CB partner... we may need another body instead of stam/thommo, but not for first choice...

Hughes - come on, if a horse owner was told by a trainer that a horse would win the national next year, but needs an operation to get him better, would he shoot him??? no... even Shez said dont expect anything from him this season - he needs to get back to fitness...

Think thats about it from your post - now lets get back to optimistic posts on who we are going to sign next season!

I like living under my little rain cloud when it comes to Latics, it reminds me not to expect too much :wink: .

I'm well aware that there will be plenty available when the season ends, but the big thing for me is that I see players only once or twice a season and to be honest no one has overly impressed me this season other than Jason Scotland. I suppose it shows what a poor league this is. Nor do I think that we are that destitute that a we couldn't afford one of Coventrys cast off stiffs or Schofield, but I don't think they will be much better than what we have and the thread was asking on how we would improve the current squad.

Should Eardley go I will eat my hat if we get £500K plus, personally I don't think that we will be in that great a position after ST sales have been taken into account to not be held to ransom by an interested party (given that approx. 40% of ST holders on here said no to renewal).

I think you should re-read my views on Killens move, I mentioned it was the view of the majority when he left (and also when Porter left) that they had taken a step backwards, not my opinion at all. I thought it was a great move for CK and I for one was sad to see him leave BP. Mass opinions didn't affect my views on CK at all, in fact his lack of inclusion was one of my major gripes against Moore and his tedious regime.

My view on Taylor is what it is. Once he begins to bring something to the table then I will re-evaluate my opinion on him. One only had to watch him diving around like Chaddertons answer to Greg Louganis on Monday to see that he brings little to the game in any sort of positive sense. Certainly being told on a message board that my opinion of him is wrong won't make me change my mind, only the lad himself putting in a consecutive run of decent performances can do that.

Greegs, nah just not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Liked him whilst on loan but not since - though he could certainly do a job, but given we sign a replacement then I would have rid.

Hughes, again I'm not a fan, but you are as I am fully aware hence our very opposing opinions on him. We don't have the necessary depth to cope with players being out injured for so long either, so adios from my viewpoint.

So if we had untold monies to bring players in then I would plump for (and I'm not going to be overly unrealistic here):

Wellens - I would re-sign him in the blink of an eye.

Keigan Parker - not wanted apparently by the Lashers.

That ginger lad who played full back for MK Dons a few years back. No idea where he is now.

An experienced centre half in the mould of Gary Breen.

Leon Constantine.

I would like Bertrand back on a season long loan - but that isn't going to happen either. I don't think we have enough financial muscle to take any of those players.

GKs - Gilks & Norm.

FBs - Ginge, Lomax, Black + the unlikely Bertrand.

CHs - Rubes, Breen + 2 unknown to me atm.

MID - Allot, MacDonald, Wellens, Parker, Smalley, Lids + left footer.

FOR - Davies, Alessandra, Constantine plus one, again unknown.

That would give us a 21 man squad.

Better?

Oh and for the record, pritt stick gives me headache John Rambo.

KtF,

Derek.

That ginger lad who played full back for MK Dons a few years back. No idea where he is now.

Lewington was his name. I was impressed with him then but then we've only seen him for one, or maybe two games. And I think he's stayed with MK Dons so never come up a level.

When I see you go onto 'Mission: Rant' I can't help thinking you say most things just to get people's back up. :tongue1:

Myself, I think Schofield is clearly someone we've needed. A natural left-footer who can get his crosses in. I'll be disappointed if we don't at least make a reasonable effort to get him.

Myself, I think Schofield is clearly someone we've needed. A natural left-footer who can get his crosses in. I'll be disappointed if we don't at least make a reasonable effort to get him.

Off Wikipaedo (so probably made up),

"On February 28, 2008, it was revealed on Huddersfield Town's official website that Danny had requested a move away from the club. Boss Andy Ritchie explained his name had been circulated with a view to either a loan switch or permanent deal at the end of the season. Yeovil Town are the favorites to capture his signature. Although Oldham Athletic have also shown interest and therefore travel across the Pennines to play for a club Andy Ritchie is so well known at, previously being player and manager."