Lee Hughes and his 'community' work.

Now, some people might take this as a wind up thread, it isn't so screw you.

Whats the update with Lee Hughes and his community work? When it was announced he was signing you couldn't move for Barry Owen (and I believe Hughes mentioned it during his press conference although I chose not to listen to it) saying how Hughes will be going into schools and youth clubs and explaining how he messed up his life and career with drink and other temptations and how positive it will be for him to talk to young players, yet so far we've only had one reported 'community' outing, and that was to present an award at a school named after a young lad killed by a drink driver. Was all this talk rubbish and just a way of trying to get the media off Hughes and the clubs case or has Hughes done these 'talks' without any reporting in the press or official site?

Whats the update with Lee Hughes and his community work? When it was announced he was signing you couldn't move for Barry Owen (and I believe Hughes mentioned it during his press conference although I chose not to listen to it) saying how Hughes will be going into schools and youth clubs and explaining how he messed up his life and career with drink and other temptations and how positive it will be for him to talk to young players, yet so far we've only had one reported 'community' outing, and that was to present an award at a school named after a young lad killed by a drink driver. Was all this talk rubbish and just a way of trying to get the media off Hughes and the clubs case or has Hughes done these 'talks' without any reporting in the press or official site?

I may be wrong Co co but I thought this was going to be a end of season/close season agenda which would take the natioanl press of his back.

Ive only replied as one of my family work for alcohol abuse via social services in Oldham.

i know for a fact he did a talk on drink and drugs last thursday at my mates place of work and will be doing more in the future

why some people think the fans should be kept up to date with the every movement of each player and what the club is doing at each given moment, i dont understand.

most of you would moan about anything and everything anyway!

maybe some of the people he is speaking to at these events, dont want details published

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2234486,00.html

In November he joined a local road safety campaigner, Sharon Crowshaw, to promote the message at Oldham's pupil reference centre. "He said he wanted to help my campaign and he has been true to his word," said Crowshaw, whose son Carl was killed by a drink-driver in 2005 and who was initially against Oldham offering Hughes a contract. "He has shown remorse for what he did and apologised and he is delivering on the promises he made to the community."

I bet the originator of this thread will be absolutely gutted that Hughes is indeed doing work in the community, as several people on this thread have pointed out and indeed witnessed.

He was obviously hoping to spread some more poisonous bile over the club in any way possible.

What a great Latics fan he must be, keep up the good work. :clown:

I bet the originator of this thread will be absolutely gutted that Hughes is indeed doing work in the community, as several people on this thread have pointed out and indeed witnessed.

He was obviously hoping to spread some more poisonous bile over the club in any way possible.

What a great Latics fan he must be, keep up the good work. :clown:

You have no idea what my thinking was behind this thread, so I would be grateful if you would keep your insinuations to yourself.

You have no idea what my thinking was behind this thread, so I would be grateful if you would keep your insinuations to yourself.

free speach bro, but if your going to write a thread be prepared for people to have different opinions and different views!

thats why we have forums - to discuss topics, if you dont like it dont write it!

Media spotlight is switched off and then intrusion has stopped on our little club.

The signing of Hughes was last year's pre-season headline to underline how immoral football has become. Unfortunately to the press, Hughes has maintained his commitment to community work and hasn't hit the headlines for the wrong reasons. As a result, the press haven't got their juicy story, would rather focus on Premier players/managers and Hughes is old news.

Problem is not everyone will like hughes with his past and we have to respect that, but you have to ask people to look beyond the personal side and look at the football side!

if it was their husband/father/brother/best friend/son who had done what hughes has done, i would love to see how many of the "never at my club" brigade stood by them. Hughes is paying for his wrong doings, and trying to turn his life around. i dont see why he should do this in the public eye.

Edited by philliggi

the thing is he was doing what a hell of a lot of premiership footballers were doing, ive said this all along

how many top premiership players go out for a drink? or any football player for that matter? and thus how many drink drive? thus some get caught some dont, and eventually one of them was bound to get in an accident, which lee hughes was the unlucky one to do so. so basically it is very wrong yes, but hes not the only drink driver footballer, you can guarantee probs 1 in every team has done it.

Lets not point the finger at just footballers. LOTS of people drink drive and never get caught for it. Coincidence or not, but me and my dad were discussing drink drivers last night and my dad told me about an incident years ago where he was picking up someone from a "policemans gathering" at a social club somewhere in this area. He sat there at 2am and watched one of the guys come out of the club staggering all over the show. He then proceeded to get in his car, but he sat there for a good 3 or 4 minutes looking completely puzzled as to why he couldnt drive before he realised he had actually got in the back seat. He then got back in the drivers seat and drove off even though he had trouble walking beforehand.

Im afraid that Lee Hughes got caught for doing something which the police on manage to touch the tip of the iceberg on. Just sit outside many a pub on a Friday night and watch how many people get in cars. Im not saying there all over the limit, im just pointing out that there is a slight chance they have not gone in there for the one or two cans of coke.

I dont condone what Hughesy did, far from it, and if it was my relative who was killed i would be seeking some sort of revenge, but he paid his price to society and my feeling on prison are, once you have served your time in prison, youve served yoru time to society.