Lee Hughes and his 'community' work.

the thing is he was doing what a hell of a lot of premiership footballers were doing, ive said this all along

how many top premiership players go out for a drink? or any football player for that matter? and thus how many drink drive? thus some get caught some dont, and eventually one of them was bound to get in an accident, which lee hughes was the unlucky one to do so. so basically it is very wrong yes, but hes not the only drink driver footballer, you can guarantee probs 1 in every team has done it.

I don't think its the drink driving that people had such a big problem with its that he drove away and just left the other people involved

we shoulda signed him, n asked his dad to stop the rain on saturdays between 3 and 5 maybe we could signhim as a physio, although i dont think even he can help our injury problems

Ha! Like it! Mebbe set Junior to work in the Rotle Bar, too? ;)

Cheers!

KC

that i will agree is totally unacceptable, but then phsycological factors come in, the fear does make you do stupid things, he obviously knew he was gonna get caught because his car was still there, and with him handing himself in the day after shows this. after the effects of the alcohol started to wear down and he could think straight he handed himself in. thats why I think he ran off, im not defending it though as still he would have had some sense in him for a choice

That's a better idea for a thread: what is Coco thinking?

I suspect that might have JSSLatics' threads from yesterday well beaten for surrealism.

On the original point, yes much was made of the community work Hughes would be doing. I understand the agreement was he'd be given some time to readjust to life before that started, then there was some publicity around his involvement with the victims of drink drivers group, and word that he would be involved in giving talks at schools and such, but there's not been a great deal of publicity since. Doesn't mean he's been doing nowt of course, but if I were the club or indeed Hughes himself I'd be wanting to make as much positive publicity as possible.

Edited by garcon

True. There's a balance to be struck. Too much publicity might get the wrong reaction. But too little encourages the rumour mongers that he's not doing anything (except pissing it up the wall in Saddleworth... allegedly)

I've seen him out in Saddleworth a few times, and he's not been drinking anything stronger than lemonade (unless it's a pint of vodka which I'm mistaking for lemonade!).

Doesn't mean he isn't drinking on other occasions, but thought it was worthing giving another side to the story.

Ah...this old topic...first of all, not getting into the "can of worms" thing again about what he did. My views on that and him being here are in another topic if anyone's interested...the search filter thingy will help find that. No? Thought not.

As for Coco starting the topic and the stick waving....I reckon there'd be half the posts in this topic had it been a different poster on here asking the very same question. A very valid one....one of which I'm glad Coco has asked. With or without motive. Coz I'd not a clue what he'd been up to either as part of his rehabilitation....which is what this still is. Whether we agree or disagree on time served etc. this community stuff is still part of paying his debt to society and rehabilitation. Nice to hear he is keeping up the work and making some mends, so far.