Shez Masterstroke

Lets hope we break the bank to sing this trio of Livermore, Jarrett and constantine.

Livermore showed how good he his today by playing in midfield, the team offered so much more by having a class 'left-footed' midfielder today, unfortunately showed how ordinary Gary Mac his and probally why Macca wil not get a contract this summer.

Jarrett playing just off the front of Constantine had a fantastic game. He looked to be playing in a similar role to what Davies does, now if only Davies could track back and offer some defensive assistance more oftern.

This forward attacking play though was all started from the back. Shez / team were well aware that the Hudders front two were slow (sure I noticed Booth with a zimmer at one point) and therefore Hazel and Stam could push up as they knew if either of their strikers sneaked behind them they were not getting far. Stam had one of his best games in a Latics shirts for a long time.

This resulted in Taylor / Smalley recieving the ball in front of them allowing them to attack the oppo (Taylor had had to come back to collect the ball on far to many occasions recently. CB to FB to Taylor tracking back .... with two defenders in toe and he's getting slatted for that wtf). There as been some 'attacks' towards both these players recently on here ..... yesterday showed how important they are to the team, when one attacked one wing how many times did the other coast in behind the defence onthe opposite side.

constantine ..... great season last year scoring 20+ in a struggling side. One of only a few players brought in by Leeds in the summer, three broken bones, Leeds ddoing their usual shopping spree for other strikers on several occasions .......... are you surprised it as took him a little while to start playing ?????????? The guy is class.

Top post there Mark! Agree with almost all of it (just the bit about Davies tracking back I don't....don't wanna see that from him personally, want him up there being a danger etc.) But great insight on Jarrett, Livermore (adding everything I've been saying about McD for a good while) and even spot on about Stam! Had his best game possibly this whole season. Might be more due to the attack against him (I know Becketts classed as slow....but my god, he was almost static yesterday...did shock me to see that!) but you can only keep quiet what's against you.

Also....the bits on Taylor and Smalley....fans who have a go at these two just defy logic. Kids still learning the game basically.....even Taylor still (esp as he ain't a LW)....they'll have good games and bad ones. Consistency comes with age and experience and for Smalley to have been called upon as many times as he has is just damn right unfair IMO. But it's been a must with the injuries and he's done far more than I've hoped for. For me, he pips Lewis to the young player solely coz due to how much we've relied on him and he's not once disappointed me. Yes, he's missed open goals....yes, he's looked lost sometimes. I expect that.....he's in nappies still and next season I expect this season to have done wonders for him.

Finally, Constantine. Felt sorry for the lad playing upfront alone and having our whole hopes on his shoulders. The lad is clearly capable (and more!) and like I've said all season, I refuse to have much of a go at the strikers unless the service is there and they're gash with it. Yesterday, Leon reminded me a lot of Porter....I commented in the first half about how "maybe he needs a chance or two before finally netting in a game, like Porter did".....that comment was sparked by when he went 1 on 1 and had a heavy touch giving it to the GK. The lad panicked. He didn't the next time though! Would sign him up indeed, if the money is right.

As some have said, the only slant on it all is that Shez has fallen into the masterstroke rather than made it. If you get me. It's a habit he has.....whereby he simply gets forced into biting the bullet on things like playing Lomax at LB etc. Utterly frustrating but we know that's what we're gunna get from Shez. Like it or not.

Also, my only other concern is this 1 sloppy goal per game we're giving. It feels at the moment as though we will have to score 2 goals to win a game. Not a problem though if you play a team as poor as Udders were, but it does make your task difficult when you have this. After Tranmere, myself, LL, Maddog and a few others spoke and I brought this up as the only real negative I had of the Tranmere game. And the same goes for yesterday. While I thought Stam was awesome yesterday, we still went to sleep and gave the gift that's crept in. Would like to see that worked on....I don't mind conceeding when a team actually opens you up (ok, I do, but you know what I mean).

Overall though.....the best home game of the season and lots of positives to take from the day. Just hope we have got the backing and opportunities to bring in Livermore, Jarrett and Leon for next season.