Holden

Forbes

Clegg

Appleby

Murray

McDonald

Berehall

S.McNiven

Just a quick list of names off the top of my head of players who have played consistently or filled in during times of need at RB....

And Eardley....

Put the list above together in 1 RIGHT BACK (not other positions they play in usually...just at RB!) and you'd still be miles from Eardleys abilities in that position.

Don't disagree, he is better than all those on that list put together.

But lets take the case of McNiven. A promising young player being looked at by a host of other clubs and a big money transfer was talked about. His progress then hit a plateau and we ended up letting him go for nothing as he wasn't even good enough for our side. Now I know that recently he has suffered serious illness which won't have helped, but I beleive he now plays non-league football.

In the words of Al Murray "my point is this," is it better to get what we can for a young player while there is hype about him or do we risk a McNiven? Not 100% sure of the answer myself, Crusoe makes a good point when he says we need strength in depth. But I'm just thinking we have a replacement at the club so why not take the money and strengthen in other area's?

£500k and part with him I reckon. That's decent money I reckon for him. And it also gets us 3 or maybe 4 players with a ready made replacement already in the team (and IMO is actually more consistant than him).

More consistant? Eardley is a fantastic right-back, he isn't a right-winger, crossing lets him down but that's not the job really of a right-back! Hardly anything ever gets past him though.

Suppose what we want is a Andy Holt type player, can create and score goals but is also not so good defending.

More consistant? Eardley is a fantastic right-back, he isn't a right-winger, crossing lets him down but that's not the job really of a right-back! Hardly anything ever gets past him though.

Yes, more consistent. As Lomax is showing. On the opposite flank out of his natural position.

Eardley's distribution is pretty poor and has been all season. Yes, he's better with a regular right winger in front but how come Lomax doesn't resort to absurd long punts which 9 times out of 10 end up either out of play or straight to the opposition? He just gets the ball down and plays it simple more-often-than-not to a blue shirt.

I'm not flippantly slagging Eardley off, but £500k is decent money for him if it's offered. And it also buys you some quality in this division.

I haven't written him off I just don't think he would be a massive miss in the same way Wellens has been as we have Lomax who I beleive would do a good job. Also, in all honesty, do you think Eards would be playing international football if he was English?

Finally I don't think we will get anywhere near £1M for him. I think more like £250K - £350K, and for what it's worth, if that was the case I would try to hang on to him.

Ever thought he might want to go to better himself? Good on him if thats his choice

Anything less than £750k and I'd be hopping mad. Prefer we kept him, though.

don't forget the fact that he's an established team skipper too..... got to increase his price tag that!!

Suppose what we want is a Andy Holt type player, can create and score goals but is also not so good defending.

IMHO what we really need is a right hand version of chris armstrong! decent defender, and very good on the attack too!

Ever thought he might want to go to better himself? Good on him if thats his choice

glad i'm not the only one that thinks WE don't own the players!

Edited by thetramdriver

Indeed Eddie. When push comes to shove, the determining factor is that if a bigger club comes in we would not stand in his way (a la Trotman). Most managers in our division have a gentleman's agreement with their players that they will not obstruct a move to a bigger club.

I don't really see how people are saying Lomax is as good, or a ready-made replacement for Eardley.

its the same idiots that were banging on about how much better Stam is than Gregan before Gregan got injured.....and the same bunch banging on about how Chris Hall was going to be the next best thing...

its the same idiots that were banging on about how much better Stam is than Gregan before Gregan got injured.....and the same bunch banging on about how Chris Hall was going to be the next best thing...

You know I'm beginning to believe that you think that your opinion is superior to everyone else who posts anything on this board.

:applause1: :applause1:

at the end of the day this could of been coming for a while,hence why he was made skipper when allott is by far the best contender for it.

chris coleman is welsh and been around the wales squad a long time so knows who is coming through and so on.

yes he is established,more so than trottman was,so if you use that as a sliding scale he has to be knocking 800k,plus incentives.or maybe a deal with giddings in the equation.

yes his consistancy would be lost and a good younf promising talent,but you would have lomax coming through,and also hazell could play there,with stam n greegs in the middle and lomax or livermoor or giddings on the left.

if he stays then fine,tie him to another good long contract as his value is only going to rise.

Guest sheridans_world

Eardley can go in January for me.

By then, Lomax will be more than experienced (if he isnt already) to take over from Eardley. IMO, Lomax is as good as Eardley in all aspects except some areas of set pieces. Lomax is a definatley better tackler.

Also, with Paul Black coming through, being a left back, captain and top scorer for the youth team is no easy task, couple in with the fact he has been a regular in the reserves and on the bench these last few games and we could have our left back for next season without breaking a sweat.

So Eardley at right back till Jan, Lomax/Black playing LB until then. Nice cash sum for Eardley (More Wales Caps by then, more first team apperances, more experience as player and captain that coupled with a sizable contract to buy out) and we can invest elsewhere in the team without worrying.

Dont get me wrong, Eardley is a brilliant player and if we are top of the table come January i would be saying something different but as it stands now, if we do the same next season as we have this, then a sale would be my stance. By no means sell him this summer though.

as long as we get a fee he can go, if he leaves us high n dry after all the club has done for him then in my opinion it would be good riddance

????????????????????????????????????

What frikkin planet are you on? WTF has he done to you??? Young lad clearly with talent (as noticed by Mr Toshack and Shezza) still learning puts 100% in every week - some peepul - eeeh I coould crush a grape!!

Funny this should come up, I heard from somebody last Monday at the Doncaster game Eardley was off to Brighton. I was shocked and said its not going to happen, hardly a step up is it. Personally Id love him to stay but for a worthwhile bid I wouldnt be too upset to see him go.

Not being funny or owt, but I wonder sometimes what game we are watching together. Eardley v Lomax. A player who will probably play in the top division for over 200 appearances v a standard third division player. IF we sell him, then we will sorely miss him as he is one of our best players. Lomax, although decent, is not anywhere near the same standard.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Not being funny or owt, but I wonder sometimes what game we are watching together. Eardley v Lomax. A player who will probably play in the top division for over 200 appearances v a standard third division player. IF we sell him, then we will sorely miss him as he is one of our best players. Lomax, although decent, is not anywhere near the same standard.

Quite right. Ready made? youre having a laugh!

Eardley can go in January for me.

By then, Lomax will be more than experienced (if he isnt already) to take over from Eardley. IMO, Lomax is as good as Eardley in all aspects except some areas of set pieces. Lomax is a definatley better tackler.

Also, with Paul Black coming through, being a left back, captain and top scorer for the youth team is no easy task, couple in with the fact he has been a regular in the reserves and on the bench these last few games and we could have our left back for next season without breaking a sweat.

So Eardley at right back till Jan, Lomax/Black playing LB until then. Nice cash sum for Eardley (More Wales Caps by then, more first team apperances, more experience as player and captain that coupled with a sizable contract to buy out) and we can invest elsewhere in the team without worrying.

Dont get me wrong, Eardley is a brilliant player and if we are top of the table come January i would be saying something different but as it stands now, if we do the same next season as we have this, then a sale would be my stance. By no means sell him this summer though.

Nah way sunshine... if he wants to leave and we can get a decent wedge for him in the summer than sell him.... just think what would happen if we turn down offers, he gets miffed, his form slumps, and we have a bobbins start to the season.... then someone will come in and offer peanuts for him and off he goes... bird in the hand and all that...

I also agree with what others have said that Black and Lomax are no-where near a promotion full back pairning.... Livermore could offer experience at left back but is showing his value in midfield (and we dont own him - obviously) and Ruubes could come in at RB - but I wouldnt want to lose him in the centre... We need another LB in the summer no matter what, and if Eards goes we need a new RB too..

I'm sorry but I can't agree that he will make over 200 appearances in the top flight. He's not going to be good enough for that. Decent Championship player I reckon which go for the arguement we should keep him if any offers for him are not right.

yes he is established,more so than trottman was,so if you use that as a sliding scale he has to be knocking 800k,plus incentives.or maybe a deal with giddings in the equation.

Hasn't Giddings been released? Not too sure whether he'd come back anyway TBH. I think there might have been an issue with the Coventry/Hughes connection.