Will Leeds Have The Last Laugh?

I reckon Bates will know what he's doing.

Guy I know who works in bradford says Leeds fans are besides themselves having been told they've got 8 points back. Is someone winding the poor little loves up? i can't see it anywhere else.

Say the judgement is that the 15 points was not valid, surely that will make the whole deal invalid. in which case Leeds have to surrender their "Golden Share" and leave the league, all results being expunged, one less relegation from Lge 1 and 1 less from Lge 2????

My understading was that at the time Leeds asked for their Share to be granted, they did not meet the financial management criteria to have it returned. The FL made an exception to allow them to have it back (to prevent them folding as a club) subject to a 15 pt penalty. If the pennalty is off, so is the deal???

Guy I know who works in bradford says Leeds fans are besides themselves having been told they've got 8 points back. Is someone winding the poor little loves up? i can't see it anywhere else.

Please tell me Leeds fans have fallen for an April Fools Joke :grin:

Leeds United will have eight points given back to them prior to their arbitration hearing which was scheduled for 14 April in a move that could throw League One into chaos - that is the latest view from leading sports Lawyer Richard Cramer

The Yorkshire 'giants' have been fighting all season to get their 15-point deduction - imposed at the start of the season - overturned and were expected not to hear anything until the hearing took place in the middle of the month.

But sports lawyer Richard Cramer has said that the league don't want to leave the hearing another two weeks and have reached the compromise with Leeds to receive back just over half the points they were deducted. Mr Cramer himself believed just two weeks ago that Leeds had a "25-30% chance" of getting back all their points although he did expect there to be a decision that sat somewhere in the middle.

But he now believes that the decision has been made to the satisfaction of both parties and it will be announced on 15 April, the day after the initial scheduled date. "I always believed that there would be a compromise reached somewhere in the middle of this.

"Both the League and Leeds United will be looking for a compromise to be reached rather than allowing a battle to run on all summer which would leave more clubs than just Leeds in limbo. I would expect from here there to be a counter action by the clubs immediately affected by this decision and I would expect to hear something about that soon after the decision.

"There is still time between now and April 14 for this to change but this is the outcome at the moment that both parties are happy with."

Should Leeds be given back the 8 point amount then it would dramatically change the look of the League One table now with them moving from their current position of 8th to 4th with the chance to make up ground on 3rd place Doncaster because of their game in hand. Big losers at this moment would be Tranmere who would drop out of the play off zone.

There is little doubt that there will be further repercussions if this decision is indeed proved to be correct and I suspect the saga of Leeds United and their missing points will rumble on for quite some time yet.

I just don't see how the courts that just 'give' points back for no real reason. They gave their reasoning why they were docking them - it's in the rules. Is it in the rules that you can claim them back? I very much doubt it.

I think the word 'chaos' is an understatement.

Leeds United will have eight points given back to them prior to their arbitration hearing which was scheduled for 14 April in a move that could throw League One into chaos - that is the latest view from leading sports Lawyer Richard Cramer

The Yorkshire 'giants' have been fighting all season to get their 15-point deduction - imposed at the start of the season - overturned and were expected not to hear anything until the hearing took place in the middle of the month.

But sports lawyer Richard Cramer has said that the league don't want to leave the hearing another two weeks and have reached the compromise with Leeds to receive back just over half the points they were deducted. Mr Cramer himself believed just two weeks ago that Leeds had a "25-30% chance" of getting back all their points although he did expect there to be a decision that sat somewhere in the middle.

But he now believes that the decision has been made to the satisfaction of both parties and it will be announced on 15 April, the day after the initial scheduled date. "I always believed that there would be a compromise reached somewhere in the middle of this.

"Both the League and Leeds United will be looking for a compromise to be reached rather than allowing a battle to run on all summer which would leave more clubs than just Leeds in limbo. I would expect from here there to be a counter action by the clubs immediately affected by this decision and I would expect to hear something about that soon after the decision.

"There is still time between now and April 14 for this to change but this is the outcome at the moment that both parties are happy with."

Should Leeds be given back the 8 point amount then it would dramatically change the look of the League One table now with them moving from their current position of 8th to 4th with the chance to make up ground on 3rd place Doncaster because of their game in hand. Big losers at this moment would be Tranmere who would drop out of the play off zone.

There is little doubt that there will be further repercussions if this decision is indeed proved to be correct and I suspect the saga of Leeds United and their missing points will rumble on for quite some time yet.

Mark where did you get this from?It ties in with what i was hearing yesterday.

Surely the legal process will consider wheter or not the penalty was legal? If it was legal then the FA/FL were in order to make the deduction. If it was not legal then the points will be returned and this would imply the FA/FL do not have the right to deduct points.

If a deal has been struck then I suspect the FA/FL are not convinced that they have the legal basis for point deduction. If this is the case then they have no sanction available against any club and those who have been deducted points in the past may wish to sue.

Any outcome other than the 15 point penalty stays will weaken the FA/FL.

As for people not believing this is fair - all clubs have known of this scenario from day one.

Who says life is fair?

Surely the legal process will consider wheter or not the penalty was legal? If it was legal then the FA/FL were in order to make the deduction. If it was not legal then the points will be returned and this would imply the FA/FL do not have the right to deduct points.

If a deal has been struck then I suspect the FA/FL are not convinced that they have the legal basis for point deduction. If this is the case then they have no sanction available against any club and those who have been deducted points in the past may wish to sue.

Any outcome other than the 15 point penalty stays will weaken the FA/FL.

As for people not believing this is fair - all clubs have known of this scenario from day one.

Who says life is fair?

It’s quite common in many walks of life for two parties to agree to forego legal rights before a court and have a dispute settled by an arbitrator. I am guessing that Batsey is claiming that he was not free to make that decision himself, or that the process meant that he could not get a fair outcome from the process he agreed to. I wouldn’t say that it’s the principle of points deduction that is being challenged so much as how DL’s particular case was handled.

Either way I think the Judge should do the right thing and put his black cap on when he gives the verdict.

I still believe a compromise would weaken the authotity of the Fa/FL. If Leeds were treated unfairly and that was clear in the judgement then there can be no argument the points must be returned.

This would not remove the right of FA/FL to deduct points, but raises grave questions about their credibility.

I know not a lot of credibility already with one law for the big clubs and another set of laws for the rest and I am sure many could give examples.

Can I just point out for Astotties benefit (and maybe Frizzell54's too, although can't work out if he believes Markoasis's post about 8pts returned or not) but that which Mark has posted is the April Fools article released yesterday that has got all Leeds fans excited (momentarily.) While it might be so that the two have discussed possible alternative solutions (something I don't believe has happened at all, due to the FL fighting this at every step) that article yesterday is nothing but fabrication.

Roll on April 14th anyway....I'm fairly confident Leeds will get nowhere with this. It's one thing to agree to the 15pt deduction. It's another to then sign a contract binding it and agreeing not to go to court. In law, the case for Duress is very complex but one thing is certain.....the grounds for Duress needs to be extremely solid for a judge to consider it. Leeds could say the start of the season was pending and they simply had to accept it or be thrown out of the league...the FL will argue that they knew the timescales and what regulations they had to meet (paying creditors etc) to get their golden share back, which they failed to do. They've not a leg to stand on IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Can I just point out for Astotties benefit (and maybe Frizzell54's too, although can't work out if he believes Markoasis's post about 8pts returned or not) but that which Mark has posted is the April Fools article released yesterday that has got all Leeds fans excited (momentarily.) While it might be so that the two have discussed possible alternative solutions (something I don't believe has happened at all, due to the FL fighting this at every step) that article yesterday is nothing but fabrication.

Roll on April 14th anyway....I'm fairly confident Leeds will get nowhere with this. It's one thing to agree to the 15pt deduction. It's another to then sign a contract binding it and agreeing not to go to court. In law, the case for Duress is very complex but one thing is certain.....the grounds for Duress needs to be extremely solid for a judge to consider it. Leeds could say the start of the season was pending and they simply had to accept it or be thrown out of the league...the FL will argue that they knew the timescales and what regulations they had to meet (paying creditors etc) to get their golden share back, which they failed to do. They've not a leg to stand on IMO.

Good evening BB80! Came on here just to add a bit more about the Lades saga to see that I've got a 'personal message' from you, well thank you very much!

I am delighted to see that the story i was talking about was an April fool, I may have missed this but can you state why you know this to be correct? I have tried to establish its origins but to no avail, but if you are correct, and I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, than that is good news and I hope the FL do show some bottle come April 14th. However I do work in Lades and the populace is convinced a deal has been done and they are getting 8 points back( yes I know they also think Geoffrey Boycott was a good cricketer) so i still think there is a possiblity there may be some jiggery pokery about, especially with Ken Bateds around.

I have no reason to doubt you at all , as stated above, and do hope you are right, but Richard Cramer is a Lades based sports lawyer who may know what he's talking about . Do you think the article quoted by markoasis was just made up or is Mr Cramer just trying to whistle up business?

well spotted mate and well done to those Swans who certainly took some Lades fans in hook line and sinker. What with this 'news' and the win at Donny they were skipping around like all their Christmases had come at once.