Cheers fella. Dont ya just love how the big guys think they're above fair play. I just hope Latics stumble onto the next Kaka and the world and his dog want him. Tell Chelsea he's theirs at the end of the season only to seell him to Arsenal with the big I am attitude.

Tony P said that's how it was with Richards. Their youth budgets are bigger than our playing budgets. Pretty much nothing you can do if they want them, they'll take them. A lot of the time we can't wait that extra year to see how they turn out whereas Prem clubs can keep them years in the hope they might just be a gem.

He said with Daniel it was different as the other youngsters in the dressing room would clam up when he came in. The sort of "keep quiet he might tell his Dad" stuff. Still doubt he's bothered now. Oddly he's playing in the Chelsea reserve side but can only make the youth bench!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leeds signed him on the strength of the win we had there on New Years Day. Previous to that they had shown no interest in him. We had a deal and a financial offer in place. Corney said they were just getting Kilkenny round to the idea of staying with us permanently. Leeds got wind he was available after the match, matched the offer, increased the financial package on offer and that was that. As for bridges burned it really went no further than the bidding and how he'd changed his mind. No word of their current opinion on him.

The Lookers comes down at the end of April. It seems like the small bit of the Rochdale Road end will be open to home fans. No news if booze will be available there but I did request it :wink:

As for getting the seats like some want, there are contamination issues, asbestos etc so it's unclear if they could be sold on.

There are also going to be opportunities for those moving from the Lookers to have a look at seats available and pick and choose what they would like. Corney said it won't suit everybody despite trying not to unsettle people, some will have a moan at times but it'll be worth it.

As for Ricketts it was Corney and Blitz who made Shez and Tommy aware he was available. After many meetings they decided to take him on. In Corney's words "on his day he's a good player. He just doesn't have those days anymore". The contract was never more than six months. The outlay was costly but they knew it was capped and all angles were covered so it worked in our favour should as happened he be crap and leave.

Bertrand was supposed to be a year long loan. Ended up being six months. As part of the Danny Philliskirk deal we were due two players on loan from Chelsea. Two became one. One became half a season. Half a season became only league games, no FA Cup involvement. There was basically nothing we could do. They got Philliskirk then moved the goal posts many times afterwards. Ryan is now on loan at Norwich. He went a few days after leaving us.

I'd just add to that (for the benfits of Lags Q re rebuilding), there has been no further update from the club on the demolition of the Lookers as the council sprung it on them that there needed to be further surveys of the building done before they can actually action the demolition.

They also said that they had gone to tender on the rebuild of the stand and had a fairly good idea of which company they wanted to use. Furthermore they said that they had had proposals from various developers including one which was more 'low rise' than their original plan - and that there had been subsequent meetings with the 'Residents Together' action group, who on the whole were happy and said that this was more in keeping with what they wanted. Unfortunately there is still a small hardcore of the action group who weren't happy and clearly do not want 'ANY' kind of development on the land.

Corney said that as ever, it was extremely difficult to deal with Oldham Council - not that they were being awkward/obstinate, more that they seemed to be (these are my words cos I can't remember the way he described it) disorganised etc. Things like not communicating the fact that the club had to go through certain procedures before the council would allow them to start the demolition.

40 maximum I'd guess.

Ricketts, Lookers stand, seating arrangements, signings, Kilkenny, Chelsea, youth setup, Danny Philliskirk, Bertrand all discussed. Ask away, I'll stick down what I can.

Another thing which was discussed was the Bradford ticketing policy for this season which offered big reductions if over a certain number of people signed up. Simon Corney said that this was something which they would love to do but he didn't believe for a second that we'd get more than 4500 to sign up which would probably be even less if they set the original price higher than this season in order to reduce it drastically.

He went on to say that even if they did manage to get 4500 to sign up this would deny the club it's 1500 walk up punters who provide the clubs only real income/cashflow over the course of a season. He said if they thought they could do it and secure anything like 7/8000 ST holders, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

To those who went and relayed info from last night....many thanks. Can clearly understand the Bradford ticket thing with TTA......there's no way we'd get the amount of fans buying that they did. Ok...Jorvik is right, a sliding scale could be the answer but it's how to implement it......esp when we can't even get selling matchday tickets right at times!

Another thing which was discussed was the Bradford ticketing policy for this season which offered big reductions if over a certain number of people signed up. Simon Corney said that this was something which they would love to do but he didn't believe for a second that we'd get more than 4500 to sign up which would probably be even less if they set the original price higher than this season in order to reduce it drastically.

He went on to say that even if they did manage to get 4500 to sign up this would deny the club it's 1500 walk up punters who provide the clubs only real income/cashflow over the course of a season. He said if they thought they could do it and secure anything like 7/8000 ST holders, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

How can we be so sure that it wouldn't generate the required number....if we don't try we will never know.

Bradford had the bottle to try something new and it worked!

From my own personal point of view I can only get to 1/2 the games due to shift work but if the season ticket was priced at say £200 I'd definitely get one as I could afford to miss a few games and not be out of pocket.

I may also be tempted to book time off work to attend games I wouldn't normally go to.

They have to do something next season to get fans, especially the young kids, through the turnstiles...it's not just the match ticket when you add the car park and a programme your talking £26 and that's without food or drink....Throw in a couple of kids and it's beyond the reach of a lot of fans and far too much in my opinion.

How can we be so sure that it wouldn't generate the required number....if we don't try we will never know.

Bradford had the bottle to try something new and it worked!

From my own personal point of view I can only get to 1/2 the games due to shift work but if the season ticket was priced at say £200 I'd definitely get one as I could afford to miss a few games and not be out of pocket.

I may also be tempted to book time off work to attend games I wouldn't normally go to.

They have to do something next season to get fans, especially the young kids, through the turnstiles...it's not just the match ticket when you add the car park and a programme your talking £26 and that's without food or drink....Throw in a couple of kids and it's beyond the reach of a lot of fans and far too much in my opinion.

We let people in for a quid and 2 quid for a couple of weeks and still only got 8000 in :(

We let people in for a quid and 2 quid for a couple of weeks and still only got 8000 in :(

9,321 and 10,207.

I'm pretty sure our ground capacity reduces any chance of "doing a Bradford". It's alright when you are getting 14,000 at division four wage levels, but when you are a league higher and your ground doesn't fit near to that then it cuts down the possibilities.

9,321 and 10,207.

I'm pretty sure our ground capacity reduces any chance of "doing a Bradford". It's alright when you are getting 14,000 at division four wage levels, but when you are a league higher and your ground doesn't fit near to that then it cuts down the possibilities.

I didn't know the figures I was quoting Corney there I should add. I presumed he would know :wink:

9,321 and 10,207.

You then also need to consider that people have to comit to say£300 or £350 whatever up front with the possibility of it then being reduces to c£200. It's not like paying £2 to get in on the odd occasion.

Edited by danoafc

Guest oa_exile
Did anybody ask the panel if there was any truth in the rumoured signing of Fabian Yantorno from Gretna?

Ask F_M_S ^_^ , Oh hang on , i just realised he didnt go :grin:

Cant be bothered troving through all the posts :wink: , why didnt you go F_M_S ? :lol:

Did anybody ask the panel if there was any truth in the rumoured signing of Fabian Yantorno from Gretna?

No they didn't fella, but Corney did voluntarily mention Gretna on a couple of occasions.

Edited by danoafc

Guest sheridans_world
No they didn't fella, but Corney did voluntarily mention Gretna on a couple of occasions.

In relation to what?

In relation to what?

The way they've had to shed players so quickly and how the threat of administration is hanging over clubs, he mentioned Gillingham and Port Vale in particular. As soon as one club disappears permanently a lot more will follow he reckons.

Did mention Gretna enough for me to be a bit <_< though after seeing some things on here.

No one actually asked why Shez wasn't there either :lol:

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

Ask F_M_S ^_^ , Oh hang on , i just realised he didnt go :grin:

Cant be bothered troving through all the posts :wink: , why didnt you go F_M_S ? :lol:

You are joking. Frankly Mr Shankly didn't go?

Why on earth not?

I think that he had better explain himself.

There really is no room for this type of apathy.

Edited by Rick

Guest M_OAFC
That's absolute total rubbish. The biggest bit of promotion of any event is ON THE DAY and sadly hardly any of it was done yesterday.

Only Stu Vose can answer why it wasn't on the website yesterday but if it was then even judging by the response on this thread there would have been TEN more people along, perhaps more if they tell their mates. I'm sure this figure could be trebled or even made fivefold with better ON THE DAY promotion.

So an absolutely laughable excuse, and even more condescending and patronising as Barry's original.

Hell, did anyone think of designing a quick and simple banner and having it displayed on the front page of OWTB?

Ridiculous. I'm really even more annoyed about this now.

I don't want to turn this into one of those patetic message board squabbles I get so fed up of seeing on here but I think some of your comments above are absurd.

I take your point about the importance of on the day promotion but how on earth can the organisers have it printed in the programme, read out at a game etc on the day, when the event is on a Monday? How are they supposed to make posters that have been there for weeks suddenly become more prominent on the day of the event? And if the club didn't act upon requests to put it on the official website then how is that the organisers fault? You describe the excuses in my previous post (not really excuses in my view so much as a list of ways in which the event was publicised) as laughable but I find your suggestion that all this could have been done on the day far more laughable. I forgot to point out that it was announced on GMR as well.

As I said previously you are absolutely right that more should have been made of publicising it on this messageboard but I fail to see what other form of on the day publicity was iin the organisers control.

Incidentally the main reason that not much attention was drawn to the post on this board is that none of the organisers have internet access at home. They are all............ gently aging shall we say and have just never developed the internet culture that many of the posters on here are so familiar with. Consequently they asked a Trust director to put it on here as a favour, which he duly did. Unfortunately the post didn't seem to generate much interest and the people that made the request were not on here to realise that and do something about it. I'm not suggesting for a second that this exonorates them of any blame with regards to advertising on this board, I do think they ought to have asked somebody to pursue it with more vigour but I'm just trying to explain that whilst these people are more aware of the widespread use of the official site they are still very naive as to the impact of messageboards and most crucially of all have no access to it themselves. This board being the hive of activity that it is, it is sometimes easy for us regulars users to forget what a small percentage of the club's support visit it frequently.

As I said I'm not trying to pretend that the publicity couldn't have been handled better, I'm simply pointing out that a lot more effort was made than you are giving these people credit for. Lets not forget, they are volunteers at the end of the day, they have no obligation to go to the trouble of organising a forum at all and I think your vilification of them is totally unjustified. And quite why you choose to vent your anger at me or why you find my previous post condescending I cannot fathom. I was simply contributing to the debate by explaining what I happened to know had been done in an attempt to publicise the forum.

But as I said, I'd like to believe we are both above the astoundingly pathetic squabbling that blights this board at times so whilst I agree with some of what you say I trust we can agree to disagree about your criticisms of the organisers.

On a slightly separate note there also appear to be a few misconceptions from various posters that readers might welcome me putting straight.

None of the organisers are owtb members let alone moderators so they would not have been able to put a banner on the owtb front page.

Barry Owen was not one of the organisers, he is nothing to do with OASA. Having a pop at Barry and having a pop at the organisers are not one and the same.

The decision to stage the event on a Monday was not taken because the organisers felt it was the best night but because they had to co-operate with he club to find a night when enough people in positions that might merit a seat on the panel, were able attend.

The event was not staged in the sponsors lounge like some previous OASA functions known as "Sitting Comfortably With.........." because they were a different type of event. They were deliberately staged in a smaller room with restricted numbers since the whole point was to achieve a degree of intimacy with the emphasis on a chat show interview style event with as much emphasis placed upon chat about lives outside football etc as on the club itself. Yesterdays event was another of the larger question and answer sessions that used to take place in the large room in the Clayton Arms in order to cater for larger numbers (slightly ironic as it turns out!)

It was not at Royton Conservative Club, it was at a social club about half a mile from the ground with no political affiliation.

It was never suggested that only OASA members could attend. Admission for members was a little cheaper that's all.

They should do some sort of pledge system then.

Really can't understand why TTA won't just give this a try - if it's a pledge system like Bradford's then the Season Tickets are only only sold at the reduced price IF a certain number of pledges are made - I think at 7,000 Seasons Tickets could be sold if they were being offered at 50% less than this season's ST price.

Bradford's policy has now resulted in a small profit...I also believe they are finding it much easier to sell sponsorship etc as there profile in the Bradford and surrounding area had grown -------------> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle3485612.ece

Bradford find price of loyalty

If the accountants measure the dash for cash in the Barclays Premier League in astronomical amounts, fans at the bottom of football's pile know precisely the cost of their love of the game: £3.25, in some cases. That is the price for a match ticket being offered by Bradford City, who are proving that enterprise and a little thought for the people who pack the stands can go a long way to reviving a club.

Bradford have been in freefall since being relegated from the top flight seven years ago, enduring two spells in administration along the way. Another bout of relegation last season to Coca-Cola League Two should have meant tumbleweed blowing through empty stands.

But if Julian Rhodes, the chairman, has been unable to turn the tide on the field, he has been able to keep bums on seats. By offering season tickets at £6 a match, the average gate was more than 13,000 during Bradford's drop into the fourth tier. Now season tickets are on sale for next season at only £150 and the deal includes a buy one, get one free option: of 12,000 season-ticket holders, 9,000 are adults, and they are being offered one more ticket if they purchase by the middle of June. Each person's admission per match works out at an astonishing £3.25.

Last season's knock-down prices helped to turn losses of £500,000 a year into a small profit. Now Rhodes believes that he can aim for gates of 20,000 in a bit of business that is delighting supporters' groups and opening doors to more young fans.

Mmm, Thanks M_OAFC for taking the time to reply extensively. I was probably wide of the mark claiming you were condescending and patronising, however you've just highlighted how out-of-touch with reality the people at OASA are.

I don't want to turn this into one of those patetic message board squabbles I get so fed up of seeing on here but I think some of your comments above are absurd.

I take your point about the importance of on the day promotion but how on earth can the organisers have it printed in the programme, read out at a game etc on the day, when the event is on a Monday? How are they supposed to make posters that have been there for weeks suddenly become more prominent on the day of the event?

Hang on a mo. That's not what I suggested. I quite clearly know you can't do the programme/ground/PA advertising on a Monday.

And if the club didn't act upon requests to put it on the official website then how is that the organisers fault?

Well, this is something for Stu Vose to answer? If like you say they've asked numerous times and nothing has been done then it's pretty poor by the football club. Essentially I think most Latics fans would check the fishul first rather than the Chron, Advertiser or GM bloody R.

You describe the excuses in my previous post (not really excuses in my view so much as a list of ways in which the event was publicised) as laughable but I find your suggestion that all this could have been done on the day far more laughable. I forgot to point out that it was announced on GMR as well.

As I said previously you are absolutely right that more should have been made of publicising it on this messageboard but I fail to see what other form of on the day publicity was iin the organisers control.

Incidentally the main reason that not much attention was drawn to the post on this board is that none of the organisers have internet access at home. They are all............ gently aging shall we say and have just never developed the internet culture that many of the posters on here are so familiar with. Consequently they asked a Trust director to put it on here as a favour, which he duly did. Unfortunately the post didn't seem to generate much interest and the people that made the request were not on here to realise that and do something about it. I'm not suggesting for a second that this exonorates them of any blame with regards to advertising on this board, I do think they ought to have asked somebody to pursue it with more vigour but I'm just trying to explain that whilst these people are more aware of the widespread use of the official site they are still very naive as to the impact of messageboards and most crucially of all have no access to it themselves. This board being the hive of activity that it is, it is sometimes easy for us regulars users to forget what a small percentage of the club's support visit it frequently.

A quick suggestion on this. Why don't OASA appoint an 'on-the-day events manager' or something for these type of occasions? You know, someone who isn't living in the dark ages and who will take a tiny bit of time to promote it on places like OWTB, Facebook, Myspace and other internet outlets. Don't take this suggestion as a time-sapping job that no-one will want, but I'm sure if they asked around that someone would volunteer to carry out their internet-based promoting for 30 minutes or so on the day of an event. Hell, I'd offer do it if someone had the foresight to ask around.

Now it's been pretty much established around 40 people attended the event. I pretty much reckon they'd easily be able to double that by giving enough internet exposure on here, Myspace, Facebook, emailing and other Latics-related websites, plus having posters in more places of the ground than The Chaddy End. You'd have around 10-20 from here for starters, it's evident from this thread alone. But because the people at OASA are seemingly dinosaurs who aren't savvy to modern contraptions like a computer and rely on less effective methods of getting word around then they shouldn't be irked and "a bit let down" when they get a crap turn out.

As I said I'm not trying to pretend that the publicity couldn't have been handled better, I'm simply pointing out that a lot more effort was made than you are giving these people credit for. Lets not forget, they are volunteers at the end of the day, they have no obligation to go to the trouble of organising a forum at all and I think your vilification of them is totally unjustified.

Maybe it is. I wasn't aware of the other promotional stuff they'd done but IMO they'd missed out a really effective and relatively easy method. Sure, I know they're not obliged to, but the fact they did organise it says they wanted a decent turn out for it. As a side, I acknowledge now the extent of the publicity but IMO is still not really enough.

And quite why you choose to vent your anger at me or why you find my previous post condescending I cannot fathom. I was simply contributing to the debate by explaining what I happened to know had been done in an attempt to publicise the forum.

Don't take it personal. It wasn't meant to be. The bottom line is Barry had a snipe on here at the lack of a turn out when it was hardly publicised at all and most people didn't know about it. I figured that was unfair and that got my back up. Sorry if it appears that I'm venting my anger solely at you.

But as I said, I'd like to believe we are both above the astoundingly pathetic squabbling that blights this board at times so whilst I agree with some of what you say I trust we can agree to disagree about your criticisms of the organisers.

Yep, that's fine by me but if you are in contact with the main organisers of the event, could you pass them a message from me? I'd suggest the next time they are planning such an evening that they exploit more avenues than the old-fashioned traditional ways to ensure the turn out meets their expectations. That is unless their expectations are that they may as well hold it in a bus shelter.

Really can't understand why TTA won't just give this a try - if it's a pledge system like Bradford's then the Season Tickets are only only sold at the reduced price IF a certain number of pledges are made - I think at 7,000 Seasons Tickets could be sold if they were being offered at 50% less than this season's ST price.

Bradford's policy has now resulted in a small profit...I also believe they are finding it much easier to sell sponsorship etc as there profile in the Bradford and surrounding area had grown -------------> http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/col...icle3485612.ece

Bradford find price of loyalty

If the accountants measure the dash for cash in the Barclays Premier League in astronomical amounts, fans at the bottom of football's pile know precisely the cost of their love of the game: £3.25, in some cases. That is the price for a match ticket being offered by Bradford City, who are proving that enterprise and a little thought for the people who pack the stands can go a long way to reviving a club.

Bradford have been in freefall since being relegated from the top flight seven years ago, enduring two spells in administration along the way. Another bout of relegation last season to Coca-Cola League Two should have meant tumbleweed blowing through empty stands.

But if Julian Rhodes, the chairman, has been unable to turn the tide on the field, he has been able to keep bums on seats. By offering season tickets at £6 a match, the average gate was more than 13,000 during Bradford's drop into the fourth tier. Now season tickets are on sale for next season at only £150 and the deal includes a buy one, get one free option: of 12,000 season-ticket holders, 9,000 are adults, and they are being offered one more ticket if they purchase by the middle of June. Each person's admission per match works out at an astonishing £3.25.

Last season's knock-down prices helped to turn losses of £500,000 a year into a small profit. Now Rhodes believes that he can aim for gates of 20,000 in a bit of business that is delighting supporters' groups and opening doors to more young fans.

Bradford have a far bigger fanbase than what we do, if we did what Bradford have done it wouldn't do a lot for sales, the owners could offer a free car and the numbers would probably not go up that much!