International Players

Does anyone know many players have come through our youth ranks and gone on to play for our first team and then play international football?

Andy Goram although he served his apprenticeship with WBA

Neil Eardley obviously

Makin and Gerrard played for under 21s

Scott McNiven Jock under 21s

Paul Bernard Scot Under 21s

Miskelly NI Under 21s

Eddie Hopkinson (gk) in the 50s played for latics came through the ranks later played for England

Andy Barlow England 'B'

Mike MIlligan (Although officially picked up from City) Ireland under 21s and made full squad

Edited by oafcprozac

Andy Goram although he served his apprenticeship with WBA

Neil Eardley obviously

Makin and Gerrard played for under 21s

Scott McNiven Jock under 21s

Paul Bernard Scot Under 21s

Miskelly NI Under 21s

Eddie Hopkinson (gk) in the 50s played for latics came through the ranks later played for England

Andy Barlow England 'B'

Mike MIlligan (Although officially picked up from City) Ireland under 21s and made full squad

and Carl Serrant knocked up a B International against Russia (and made a training session with the full squad).

Anymore of those going at City these days??? We picked up some bargains didnt we....maybe there is sense in having Big Joe in some honourary scouting capacity??

If memory serves me right we only paid £70K for Roger Palmer too! You'd have thought as soon as Latics bid on a player City would have thrown them straight in the first team!!

We have signed a few failures from there though too, I think we got Wayne Hestletine and Ian Thompstone from City as well. Don't recall them going on to great things :grin:

Edited by ghostofcecere

everyone always forgets about sean. if i remember rightly wasnt he a bigger prospect than neil?

Certainly was. Captain of the double winning youth side, played midfield and defence and as you say captained his national side at under 19.

Neal always mentions in interviews in the programme that all he does in the game is now dedicated to Sean and what he could have become should he have not had the heart problems. Done him proud so far I think!

Guest oa_exile
didnt carl valentine start with us and went on to play for canada -

Yep , infact I think he played in the 86' World Cup

If memory serves me right we only paid £70K for Roger Palmer too! You'd have thought as soon as Latics bid on a player City would have thrown them straight in the first team!!

We have signed a few failures from there though too, I think we got Wayne Hestletine and Ian Thompstone from City as well. Don't recall them going on to great things :grin:

heseltine came from the red scum! seem to remember great things were expected

didnt he have a bloody stupid quiff aswell?