Grand National

1st and 2nd for me..only down side was not taking Slim Pickings each way

Yeah, same here. I usually do 2 to win only....which kinda does defeat the object a little. Slim Pickings e/w would've seen all 4 paid for me. Oh well...happy as it is though....can't grumble.

Glad that you and Hometownclub didn't let me down Jimi!

:imnotworthy:

As you know, I'm not betting at the moment but I'll look forward to my commission from oafc_ok and Blue_Guru after telling them that you two were the men to follow! :grin:

:bigcry: Bewleys Berry leading over the last, then nothing left in the tank.

Comply or die £5 to win. cheers JimiT, im £55 better off tonight so im going getting larooped to celebrate. Of course, i did have to decide weather to go for the win or each way, and that was much harder than picking the horse itself, so i think i deserve the credit :grin::blush:

:bigcry: Bewleys Berry leading over the last, then nothing left in the tank.

I'd never trust anything that Howard Johnson trains mate. With the vast amount of money that Graham Wylie spends on his horses, that Yard should have far more winners IMO. At least they've got the jockey right this year with Denis O'Regan.

Inglis Drever is an exception of course and presumably trains himself! :grin:

No worries all.

Glad a few on here backed it and have made a bit of cash, pity Latics couldn't do the biz though.

Jeff, I reckon your commission'll be half a shandy :wink: Agree with you about Howard Johnson, btw. Talking of trainers, how good a job is David Pipe doing? Some mightily impressive training performances recently, Our Vic as I mentioned before and now Comply or Die. And I also really like Timmy Murphy as a jockey, so chuffed for him too.

Right, time for me to head to the pub to celebrate.

Glad that you and Hometownclub didn't let me down Jimi!

:imnotworthy:

As you know, I'm not betting at the moment but I'll look forward to my commission from oafc_ok and Blue_Guru after telling them that you two were the men to follow! :grin:

If we'd have listened to you we wouldn't have bet on the National at all because it is purely 'a lottery'. :D

I have to say, I'd always thought the same myself but JimT's very impressive scientific approach to picking a winner proves us wrong. Although left to my own devices I may as well have stuck a pin in a sheet of paper to pick a horse.

If we'd have listened to you we wouldn't have bet on the National at all because it is purely 'a lottery'. :D

I have to say, I'd always thought the same myself but JimT's very impressive scientific approach to picking a winner proves us wrong. Although left to my own devices I may as well have stuck a pin in a sheet of paper to pick a horse.

To be honest, having now had 4 winners in the last 5 years, it is actually quite (or very) possible to pick the winner. Of course, some small amount of luck is required whereby you just hope another less than capable horse doesn't fall or jump right into your horse and brings your horse down. Other than that, the only really difficult Nationals to choose from (when it really is more of a lottery) is when the ground is very wet and soggy. A bit like the time I mention above when Red Marauder won (altho, even that year that was possible to pick confidently) but when it's been raining all week and soggy, the horses tire more, the fences are tougher to clear, more fall so more chance bad luck will take yours out and the ground is generally hoped to be good to firm for the National, so horses suited to that ground tend to be geared up for the National. And then some end up as non-runners whereas others run, but are less likely to perform as they would on decent ground.

Here's to more good, dry, profitable Grand Nationals! :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

To be honest, having now had 4 winners in the last 5 years, it is actually quite (or very) possible to pick the winner. Of course, some small amount of luck is required whereby you just hope another less than capable horse doesn't fall or jump right into your horse and brings your horse down. Other than that, the only really difficult Nationals to choose from (when it really is more of a lottery) is when the ground is very wet and soggy. A bit like the time I mention above when Red Marauder won (altho, even that year that was possible to pick confidently) but when it's been raining all week and soggy, the horses tire more, the fences are tougher to clear, more fall so more chance bad luck will take yours out and the ground is generally hoped to be good to firm for the National, so horses suited to that ground tend to be geared up for the National. And then some end up as non-runners whereas others run, but are less likely to perform as they would on decent ground.

Here's to more good, dry, profitable Grand Nationals! :grin:

Couldnt believe the national yesterday... id been giving Comply or Die as a tip to everyone at work and with me giving them 3 0ut of 3 winning tips for cheltenham they all lumped on i picked four horses - Comply Or Die, Snowy Morning (well that was actually my Mrs) King Johns Castle and Slim Pickings ££££'s all each way felt chuffed afterwards untill my dad told me how much i would of won if id have put them in a place pot thingy were you pick the first four home!!! Ah well HAPPY DAYS!!! Only thing is now any big horse race and everyone will be ringing me for my tips... wouldnt mind but i stole them all from the papers :-)

Couldnt believe the national yesterday... id been giving Comply or Die as a tip to everyone at work and with me giving them 3 0ut of 3 winning tips for cheltenham they all lumped on i picked four horses - Comply Or Die, Snowy Morning (well that was actually my Mrs) King Johns Castle and Slim Pickings ££££'s all each way felt chuffed afterwards untill my dad told me how much i would of won if id have put them in a place pot thingy were you pick the first four home!!! Ah well HAPPY DAYS!!! Only thing is now any big horse race and everyone will be ringing me for my tips... wouldnt mind but i stole them all from the papers :-)

Out of interest, how much would the placepot have been? I expect I'd be booking an all round the world trip tonight, if I'd had them in one :grin:

Out of interest, how much would the placepot have been? I expect I'd be booking an all round the world trip tonight, if I'd had them in one :grin:

The triffecta (i think you call it) was just over 4.5k from a £1 bet - All for writting the first four in that order!!

A placepot is a bet that requires you to select a horse to win or be placed in each of the first six races at any given race meeting.

The Trifecta or Tricast is a bet which requires you to select the first three horses in a race in the correct order.

There is no bet that requires you to select the first four horses in a race.

Just for a bit more clarification, the Placepot is for getting a placed horse in the first 6 racings of the meeting. In other words, it doesn't apply to a particular race.

The bet would have been the tricast (or trifecta if placed on the Tote) which requires you to pick the first 3 home in the correct order. So, with 4 horses selected to fill 3 positions, that would require a perm of 24 individual bets. For 5 horses, then the perm is 60 bets (6 horses would be 120 bets and 7 would be 210). The dividend on Saturday was £2268.11 but the stake for a 4 horse combination tricast would have been £24. You can do the same bet on the Tote ( combination trifecta) and the dividend there was £4664.00. Generally speaking, the dividends via the Tote are much better for Exactas and Trifectas as opposed to the Bookmaker's own Computer Straight Forecasts and Tricasts.

There is another bet on the US Tote System called the Superfecta. This requires you to pick the first 4 home in the right order and again, the combination here would be 24 bets. I don't think this would have been available in the UK but if it had, the dividend would probably have been well in excess of £100k.

Tote Win: £8.90 Tote Place: £2.50,£4.60,£5.00,£3.10

Straight Forecast: £148.57 Tricast: £2268.11 Exacta: £172.10 Trifecta: £4664.00

Jackpot: £21,659.91 carried forward to Southwell, 6th Apr Placepot: £338.20 Pool:£403,992.09 871.99 winning tickets Quadpot: £56.60 Pool:£23,904.46 312.34 winning tickets

Won the office sweep for the third year running, to add to the Rah bloody Rah world cup and football world cup ...... now 5-0 and its being decided whether I will be facing a ban from the next one.

Although one clever soul in the office asked which horse I had and stuck £20 on it with the belief that I won the last two so bound to win again :grin: So many don't want me banned they are just going to bet on which ever horse I pick out.

I'd never trust anything that Howard Johnson trains mate. With the vast amount of money that Graham Wylie spends on his horses, that Yard should have far more winners IMO. At least they've got the jockey right this year with Denis O'Regan.

Inglis Drever is an exception of course and presumably trains himself! :grin:

It gets worse Jeff; after having some problems registering a new account (to take advantage of new customer offers) with one bookie, I went with Ladbrokes, forgetting to check whether they offered five places... :disappointed:

Sorry didnt mean place pot i meant the one where you pick the first four home in that order!!

Haha....yep, ya got me with that one. With a bit more thought, I should've spotted that error. I've done placepots in the past and trifectas etc. so why I didn't spot it, I don't know. Anyhow.... cheers for the post IC....I think I need to get on to Willy Hills or someone and get them to do that Superfecta next year then! I'll put the around the world trip on hold until then! :grin:

Haha....yep, ya got me with that one. With a bit more thought, I should've spotted that error. I've done placepots in the past and trifectas etc. so why I didn't spot it, I don't know. Anyhow.... cheers for the post IC....I think I need to get on to Willy Hills or someone and get them to do that Superfecta next year then! I'll put the around the world trip on hold until then! :grin:

It's the Tote that you will need to get onto although they are about to be sold off. I presume though they will still offer pool type betting where the dividend paid is a percentage of an overall pot for that particular market and so the liabilities will never exceed the take.

Because of the potential liabilities, I can't see a traditional bookmaker every offering a superfecta type bet since it will be based on starting prices and of course, they will never be in a position to hedge as there are simply too many permutations and not all will be taken up by punters. 99.9% of the time, it will be easy money for them but should a big one one come off, then they could be well and truly screwed as payouts can be 6 figures.

Incidentally, if you did want to try your luck on Superfectas, many UK Bookmakers have access to the US Pools and so offer those bets on the US Horse Racing. The meets are televised every night on Attheraces (Sky 415) and RacingWorld (Sky 433). Not something I'd recommend you getting involved with personally unless you know what you are doing. US Racing really does open up a whole new game in terms of "exotic bets".