season Ticket incentives

Perhaps not, but what's the harm in trying ?

The harm comes when we need 9000 sales to run such a scheme, but then we only get 6500 sales and we then have about 3000 people who complain that latics didn't do enough to sell the scheme, that they were sold a false promise, that they have been conned.

As for matchday revenues, let's allow 50p a pie and 50p a pint for every extra supporter over 5500. An extra £100k then over the whole season in match day revenue. Hardly gonna make a huge difference is it?

I think these sort of posts should be banned unless the poster actually does the maths. We get 3500 STs and about 2000 on the days. Work out a scheme off that, which allows for 6000 STs and see what you can come up with. (clue:- £1.8m / 6000 = £300).

Guest sheridans_world

The majority seem to be trying to work out figures based on assumptions and rough estimates, at best.

Firstly, these scheme's do work. It gets more people in the ground. Say we run with a figure of 7000 (achievable IMO), thats a pretty much guarunteed 7000 fans a game. Catering and programme sales will increase, (Taking the home attendance now to be 3500) i would hazard a guess at pies will be 1 in 5 people (3500/5 so 700 more) and programmes 1 in 6 (3500/6 so 580 more.) Granted that isnt all profit.

Next latics go on a five game winning run. Word of mouth is a great tool, I imagine we would get around 1000 more in, (not too different from now eh?) as people talk to their friends whilst watching the united game down the pub on a wednesday night. Who cares if united fans pop into BP every now and then? Its all money in the clubs pocket. Dont forget that whilst all this is happening, people are buying more strike it lucky tickets. More people are at the betting windows. A local business man decides to buy a ticket because its so cheap, see's a lovley spot for advertising around the pitch and snaps it up. 7000 people down at boundary park on a saturday, more people to think "Chris Taylor - football legend" and run around to the shop and buy a replica shirt.

As i said, everything on this thread is guess work. Are the two above paragraphs really that unlikley (Chris Taylor - football legend bit excepted :wink:)?

The harm comes when we need 9000 sales to run such a scheme, but then we only get 6500 sales and we then have about 3000 people who complain that latics didn't do enough to sell the scheme, that they were sold a false promise, that they have been conned.

As for matchday revenues, let's allow 50p a pie and 50p a pint for every extra supporter over 5500. An extra £100k then over the whole season in match day revenue. Hardly gonna make a huge difference is it?

I think these sort of posts should be banned unless the poster actually does the maths. We get 3500 STs and about 2000 on the days. Work out a scheme off that, which allows for 6000 STs and see what you can come up with. (clue:- £1.8m / 6000 = £300).

I think the argument that the additional season ticket sales could possibly lead to a decrease in 'pay on the days' is a totally valid point. The club would have to factor this into the scheme i.e selling slightly more than twice as many season tickets at half price.

I would think it is reasonable to argue that matchday revenues will increase and so to will merchandise sales throughout the season. And, without boring you all to tears, Bradford have found sponsorship income has increased.

This scheme can work IF we sell a certain amount of season tickets - there can be no argument against this. The only argument is whether we can sell enough of the season tickets. Clearly, some on here don't believe we can and it seems Corney doesn't think we can too.....apparently he has said if he felt we could shift 7 or 8,000 season tickets he would do it in a heartbeat..so it clearly is possibly...he knows the club finances better than any of us..but it's whether we can sell the amount of season tickets needed.

I agree with real that it wouldn't look good if the scheme failed, but so what...it's got to be worth a try. I don't agree with real when he says people would feeled conned - before people pledged they would surely be made fully aware of the possibilty of season tickets not being offered at the reduced level if the target wasn't reached.

Edited by Yard Dog

The majority seem to be trying to work out figures based on assumptions and rough estimates, at best.

Firstly, these scheme's do work. It gets more people in the ground. Say we run with a figure of 7000 (achievable IMO), thats a pretty much guarunteed 7000 fans a game. Catering and programme sales will increase, (Taking the home attendance now to be 3500) i would hazard a guess at pies will be 1 in 5 people (3500/5 so 700 more) and programmes 1 in 6 (3500/6 so 580 more.) Granted that isnt all profit.

Next latics go on a five game winning run. Word of mouth is a great tool, I imagine we would get around 1000 more in, (not too different from now eh?) as people talk to their friends whilst watching the united game down the pub on a wednesday night. Who cares if united fans pop into BP every now and then? Its all money in the clubs pocket. Dont forget that whilst all this is happening, people are buying more strike it lucky tickets. More people are at the betting windows. A local business man decides to buy a ticket because its so cheap, see's a lovley spot for advertising around the pitch and snaps it up. 7000 people down at boundary park on a saturday, more people to think "Chris Taylor - football legend" and run around to the shop and buy a replica shirt.

As i said, everything on this thread is guess work. Are the two above paragraphs really that unlikley (Chris Taylor - football legend bit excepted :wink:)?

At last, someone who agrees that these schemes can work.....thought I was well and truly on my own for a min

Guest sheridans_world
At last, someone who agrees that these schemes can work.....thought I was well and truly on my own for a min

Not on your own. You only have to sit down and think about the money people actually spend on a match day to figure that the average adult paying match day prices will probably spend around £25, thats an extra £7 on other things (Pies, drinks, programmes, betting, replica shirts*, strike it lucky, ALCOHOL!). Bradford have capitalised on this fact really well. As said in your post above.

We do have a very large spanner in the works. We are demolishing the lookers, loosing 2600 seats, significantly reducing the capacity of BP (Considering we have to give at least 1600 to away fans) Leaving not too much over 9000 seats for latics fans.

However, I would like to see latics try a scheme like this, no season ticket details have been annouced yet. I would hope they do something similar to Vale.

*Note on this, say one shirt a season at £40, that averages nearly £2 a game, meaning only £5 per game to be spent on other things.

The problem is that when people say 7000 is achievable, they need to put a price next to it. For 7000 that would have to be about £270, which is £11.75 a game. The current ST price is less than £14 a game, and although it's a £2.25 difference, I don't see it as being a huge difference - both are in the £10-15 bracket.

The key figure imo is £10, if you can get it below that, then you've got a publicisable figure. That needs 8250 sales (at adult prices).

But given that we currently have (at a guess?) 3500 STs, can we double that with a small discount?

Up to 6000 £320

Over 6000 £310

Over 6500 £300

Over 7000 £270 (£50 off) - same price as 15 games at £18

Over 8000 £240 (£80 off)

Over 9000 £229 (under £10 a game)

Emphasise the £50 kids ticket (should make it £46 just so it's £2 a game)

But I just don't belive that we would get over 7000. One serious argument in it's favour is the expansion of fan base. Maybe with the new stadium plans though it's not on the agenda?

The problem is that when people say 7000 is achievable, they need to put a price next to it. For 7000 that would have to be about £270, which is £11.75 a game. The current ST price is less than £14 a game, and although it's a £2.25 difference, I don't see it as being a huge difference - both are in the £10-15 bracket.

The key figure imo is £10, if you can get it below that, then you've got a publicisable figure. That needs 8250 sales (at adult prices).

But given that we currently have (at a guess?) 3500 STs, can we double that with a small discount?

Up to 6000 £320

Over 6000 £310

Over 6500 £300

Over 7000 £270 (£50 off) - same price as 15 games at £18

Over 8000 £240 (£80 off)

Over 9000 £229 (under £10 a game)

Emphasise the £50 kids ticket (should make it £46 just so it's £2 a game)

But I just don't belive that we would get over 7000. One serious argument in it's favour is the expansion of fan base. Maybe with the new stadium plans though it's not on the agenda?

Really hoping I haven't missed something glaringly obvious here, but why do the season tickets need to be about 270 quid at 7,000 ?

Guest sheridans_world
Really hoping I haven't missed something glaringly obvious here, but why do the season tickets need to be about 270 quid at 7,000 ?

They dont, i think he is attempting to get a baseline season ticket reciept level - which isnt needed

Based on my estimate of current income from home fans: 3500 STs at £300 (which is £20 less than current) + 2000 on the days at £18, totalling just under £1.9m per season in gate receipts. If you think the figure is wrong, fine, come up with another figure.

Saying we don't need a baseline figure is madness - we might as well pitch them at £150, sell 7000 and then and see the club go pop!

Anyone can come up with a scheme to reduce ST prices, the key is to do one that matches current gate receipts. £200 x 6000 means a loss of £700k against the wage bill - £13k a week!! Even £250 for 7000 loses £150k, which is £3k a week - or a very good player at this level.

£270 x 7000 = £1.89m

Estimates of £7 per person in "other" sales are way off imo. Some people don't spend a penny. Even on sales that do happen, the profit is marginal - I bet we don't make 50p on each pie or pint after purchase cost, staffing and maintenance of facilities. Having said that, some people may be more inclined to spend on the basis of getting a ST cheaper, but that's probably only the people who currently get a ST.

Based on my estimate of current income from home fans: 3500 STs at £300 (which is £20 less than current) + 2000 on the days at £18, totalling just under £1.9m per season in gate receipts. If you think the figure is wrong, fine, come up with another figure.

Saying we don't need a baseline figure is madness - we might as well pitch them at £150, sell 7000 and then and see the club go pop!

Anyone can come up with a scheme to reduce ST prices, the key is to do one that matches current gate receipts. £200 x 6000 means a loss of £700k against the wage bill - £13k a week!! Even £250 for 7000 loses £150k, which is £3k a week - or a very good player at this level.

£270 x 7000 = £1.89m

Estimates of £7 per person in "other" sales are way off imo. Some people don't spend a penny. Even on sales that do happen, the profit is marginal - I bet we don't make 50p on each pie or pint after purchase cost, staffing and maintenance of facilities. Having said that, some people may be more inclined to spend on the basis of getting a ST cheaper, but that's probably only the people who currently get a ST.

I totally agree with the sentiment behind your point, but I am not at all convinced by your calculations. Clearly, the point we disagree on is the pay on the day income.

You're not at all convinced by the scheme, are you.

I totally agree with the sentiment behind your point, but I am not at all convinced by your calculations. Clearly, the point we disagree on is the pay on the day income.

You're not at all convinced by the scheme, are you.

If you don't agree with the figures, put up what you think our current ST and pay-on-the-day receipts are. Do you think I've over-estimated the STs and underestimated the On-the-day? Some suggest we only have 3000 STs.

I'm not convinced at all that we can both reduce prices and maintain income. As for spending elsewhere, every £1 spent within the ground might yield 30p but every £1 on a ST yields £1.

If you don't agree with the figures, put up what you think our current ST and pay-on-the-day receipts are. Do you think I've over-estimated the STs and underestimated the On-the-day? Some suggest we only have 3000 STs.

I'm not convinced at all that we can both reduce prices and maintain income. As for spending elsewhere, every £1 spent within the ground might yield 30p but every £1 on a ST yields £1.

There is no point in me and you banding about figures which basically are nothing more than guestimates.

You can make all the calculations you want, but you nor me know the precise details of the accounts at BP.

What we do know is that if we currently have 3,500 season ticket holders then we would have to sell double that number to generate the same amount of income selling season tickets at half-price. But what if these additional season tickets mean our pay on the day income decreases I hear you say. Ok, we factor this in and try to sell slightly more than double the amount of season tickets - this along with increased match-day sales, merchandise sales throughout the season, car parking, lotto, extras sponsorship should cover this loss of income from pay-on-the-dayers that some of you think will happen.

A scheme like this can work. The season tickets will have to be cheap as chips i.e Bradford prices and we will obviously have to sell a certain amount - whether we can reach the required target nobody knows until we try. Are we scared of trying ?

There is no point in me and you banding about figures which basically are nothing more than guestimates.

You can make all the calculations you want, but you nor me know the precise details of the accounts at BP.

What we do know is that if we currently have 3,500 season ticket holders then we would have to sell double that number to generate the same amount of income selling season tickets at half-price. But what if these additional season tickets mean our pay on the day income decreases I hear you say. Ok, we factor this in and try to sell slightly more than double the amount of season tickets - this along with increased match-day sales, merchandise sales throughout the season, car parking, lotto, extras sponsorship should cover this loss of income from pay-on-the-dayers that some of you think will happen.

A scheme like this can work. The season tickets will have to be cheap as chips i.e Bradford prices and we will obviously have to sell a certain amount - whether we can reach the required target nobody knows until we try. Are we scared of trying ?

If we don't use figures, there's no point to this at all, it isn't a discussion it's just hot air. 7000 x £150 is just over £1m, there would be NO pay on the day at that price. What's more, I've used £300 rather than the £320 that was charged for 07-08. 3500 x £320 is over £1.1m.

We don't even know if we do have 3500 STs, that's a guess too. If it's 3000 the figures go worse, not better unless you choose your route of ignoring/blurring pay-on-the-day.

3000 x £300 = £900k

2500 x £18 x 23 = £1,035k

I don't think 6000 x £150 will see us do very well on a halved gate income. You, along with others have suggested it will work, but you are just guessing (by your own admission) and even further than that, you're not even attempting to look at any figures. How can you suggest it will work / makes sense / is a goer? Is that how you run your own finances?

I'm with you YD on this ...we simply have to try something new. If you go to a match with a couple of kids you feel like you've bin mugged just to get in and are reluctant to spend anymore inside the ground.

If we can get more fans to commit to a season ticket then they will definitely spend more on the day. We also have to get Bars in every stand and capitalise on the extra punters.

People are getting bored at Boundary Park and are leaving in droves, and it's partly due to a lack of excitement.

The atmosphere in a full stadium, eg. Huddersfield in the cup is so much better.

The whole matchday experience would be better.

Nobody wants to sit in a half empty stadium and if we can do it on the pitch as well, next season could be brilliant!

If we don't use figures, there's no point to this at all, it isn't a discussion it's just hot air. 7000 x £150 is just over £1m, there would be NO pay on the day at that price. What's more, I've used £300 rather than the £320 that was charged for 07-08. 3500 x £320 is over £1.1m.

We don't even know if we do have 3500 STs, that's a guess too. If it's 3000 the figures go worse, not better unless you choose your route of ignoring/blurring pay-on-the-day.

3000 x £300 = £900k

2500 x £18 x 23 = £1,035k

I don't think 6000 x £150 will see us do very well on a halved gate income. You, along with others have suggested it will work, but you are just guessing (by your own admission) and even further than that, you're not even attempting to look at any figures. How can you suggest it will work / makes sense / is a goer? Is that how you run your own finances?

Listen pal, I know how to use a calculator too. I might be wrong, and if I am then I apologise, but I think you're trying to patronise me. I ignored you the first time. I come in peace and just want to have a debate and keep things pleasant...

I mean this very politely so please please don't take it the wrong way - IMO your figures mean nothing, absolutely nothing. It's not maths you're doing, just guessing.

Listen pal, I know how to use a calculator too. I might be wrong, and if I am then I apologise, but I think you're trying to patronise me. I ignored you the first time. I come in peace and just want to have a debate and keep things pleasant...

I mean this very politely so please please don't take it the wrong way - IMO your figures mean nothing, absolutely nothing. It's not maths you're doing, just guessing.

Yard Dog, you stated that you can see no reason why it can't be done, but holding an opinion like that without the figures amounts to nothing. You said, long before I quoted any figures, that we would need to double the 3000 STs to halve the price, but that theory ignored the on-the-day sales. I've shown, using a higher number of STs (which favours your case) and a lower ST price (again, favours your case), based on what I think are reasonable estimates, that it's a very difficult scheme to implement.

Selling 1-2000 extra STs would be primarily to on-the-day fans who come to most games anyway, you'd have to go above 6000 to be bringing in lapsed fans.

You say my figures mean "nothing", well, don't take this the wrong way, because if an opinion based on some figures means nothing, then one based on no figures at all means less than that. So there's no point at all to your comments. YOUR 6000 x £150 figure would see income halved. You simply don't like my figures, but they started off with your figures, then went further in your favour, but they still don't add up.

So, for the final time, if YOU think it can work, tell us what the price would be and what the number of sales would need to be. Otherwise you don't "think" it can work, you're just "guessing/hoping/crossing your fingers" that it can work.

Yard Dog, you stated that you can see no reason why it can't be done, but holding an opinion like that without the figures amounts to nothing. You said, long before I quoted any figures, that we would need to double the 3000 STs to halve the price, but that theory ignored the on-the-day sales. I've shown, using a higher number of STs (which favours your case) and a lower ST price (again, favours your case), based on what I think are reasonable estimates, that it's a very difficult scheme to implement.

Selling 1-2000 extra STs would be primarily to on-the-day fans who come to most games anyway, you'd have to go above 6000 to be bringing in lapsed fans.

You say my figures mean "nothing", well, don't take this the wrong way, because if an opinion based on some figures means nothing, then one based on no figures at all means less than that. So there's no point at all to your comments. YOUR 6000 x £150 figure would see income halved. You simply don't like my figures, but they started off with your figures, then went further in your favour, but they still don't add up.

So, for the final time, if YOU think it can work, tell us what the price would be and what the number of sales would need to be. Otherwise you don't "think" it can work, you're just "guessing/hoping/crossing your fingers" that it can work.

Circles, bloody circles.

Circles, bloody circles.

Are you being a wind up or what? of course it's circles - you think it's a good idea, but only with your eyes closed and your brain not being used.

"think" isn't just a figure of speech.

"I dismiss the figures that 'real' has given....." - How? Can you gice a critique or do you just "dismiss" them with a wave of your hand?

"I really cannot see what the big deal is....." - Erm it's the money.

"Presumably the target amount of pledges would have to generate the same income that would be created by the 3,000 " - Erm, no, it's not that simple.

"Perhaps not, but what's the harm in trying ? " - Erm, it's the money (again) - losses, lots of them.

"I can see no reason why it can't be done at Oldham" - beacuse you are not listening to reasons, you're just dismissing the ones that don't agree with you.

"This scheme can work IF we sell a certain amount of season tickets - there can be no argument against this. The only argument is whether we can sell enough of the season tickets." - Without the right price and the right numbers there is no scheme. Your "This scheme" is NOT a scheme, it's little more than a notion

It's no wonder it's going nowhere, you haven't come up with anything.

I might as well follow the full bradford scheme and say let's make it buy one, get one free! That'll bring in more fans won't it? Or a free pie and pint every game with a ST? Or maybe a free car park pass too! And on and on and on. These are NOT schemes, these are ideas, or notions, but until you start to put some figiure on it, it doesn't work. I could take the most ridiculously favourable terms of your idea and it still won't meet the income of last season.

4000 x £300 STs + 1500 on the day: Income = £1,820,000

Let's says we still get 500 on the day aways fans = £207,000

So we need £1,613,000

That's 10,000 fans at £150. And Still £113,000 short.

So, you THINK £150 is doable? HOW. Any figures you like, any at all.

Are you being a wind up or what? of course it's circles - you think it's a good idea, but only with your eyes closed and your brain not being used.

"think" isn't just a figure of speech.

"I dismiss the figures that 'real' has given....." - How? Can you gice a critique or do you just "dismiss" them with a wave of your hand?

"I really cannot see what the big deal is....." - Erm it's the money.

"Presumably the target amount of pledges would have to generate the same income that would be created by the 3,000 " - Erm, no, it's not that simple.

"Perhaps not, but what's the harm in trying ? " - Erm, it's the money (again) - losses, lots of them.

"I can see no reason why it can't be done at Oldham" - beacuse you are not listening to reasons, you're just dismissing the ones that don't agree with you.

"This scheme can work IF we sell a certain amount of season tickets - there can be no argument against this. The only argument is whether we can sell enough of the season tickets." - Without the right price and the right numbers there is no scheme. Your "This scheme" is NOT a scheme, it's little more than a notion

It's no wonder it's going nowhere, you haven't come up with anything.

I might as well follow the full bradford scheme and say let's make it buy one, get one free! That'll bring in more fans won't it? Or a free pie and pint every game with a ST? Or maybe a free car park pass too! And on and on and on. These are NOT schemes, these are ideas, or notions, but until you start to put some figiure on it, it doesn't work. I could take the most ridiculously favourable terms of your idea and it still won't meet the income of last season.

4000 x £300 STs + 1500 on the day: Income = £1,820,000

Let's says we still get 500 on the day aways fans = £207,000

So we need £1,613,000

That's 10,000 fans at £150. And Still £113,000 short.

So, you THINK £150 is doable? HOW. Any figures you like, any at all.

Look, you're making yourself look daft now.....pull yer head in please.

Look, you're making yourself look daft now.....pull yer head in please.

Ok, you couldn't work anything out so you've resorted to poseur remarks. Last resorts and all that.

Next time, try to field and argument, a view, anything, backed up by something more substantial that what spins inside your head.

Meanwhile I can't wiat for the next round of the ST debate, when you and a few others post "Why didn't they do a discount scheme if we got more than "x" sales" followed by "they don't listen to fans".

If YOU think it will work, would YOU put your house up to cover any losses? Nah, you're just an opinion without anything behind it. Hollow headed internet sarky merchant. Yeah, you've wound me up, big deal, I get annoyed by people who can type faster than they can think.

Guest sheridans_world
Ok, you couldn't work anything out so you've resorted to poseur remarks. Last resorts and all that.

Next time, try to field and argument, a view, anything, backed up by something more substantial that what spins inside your head.

Meanwhile I can't wiat for the next round of the ST debate, when you and a few others post "Why didn't they do a discount scheme if we got more than "x" sales" followed by "they don't listen to fans".

If YOU think it will work, would YOU put your house up to cover any losses? Nah, you're just an opinion without anything behind it. Hollow headed internet sarky merchant. Yeah, you've wound me up, big deal, I get annoyed by people who can type faster than they can think.

Keep it friendly lads.

Guest sheridans_world

Regardless of the figures. The fact of the matter is that not one of the recent initiatives has failed. Stokes worked very well, Bradford's was brilliant for the club. Lets see what happens with Port Vale and Bradford (this time around). Its known that money may be lost and it is a risk. Fact of the matter is, the rock-bottom worst you are going to do (if halving the price) is lose half your receipts. When you have already pumped £11.5million into a club, 750-900k is a big deal, but it isnt a heartbreak.

The fact is, you wont do rock-bottom worst, it isnt possible. Take 3500, make it 6000 (more than achievable). That would mean a loss of around £300k. That is realistically the worst case. Now add in the match-day revenue from the other 2500. Things start to add up.

To be frank, my £7 a match is not unreasonable. As stated, after purchase of one shirt this drops to £5 a match. I always buy two shirts, meaning that'd drop to £3 a match. I always buy a pie and a programme meaning, on my figures, the club is £2 better off per game for me. There are alot of people drink in the lookers upper, there are a lot of people bet in the chaddy. Work through the figures and it could be a fairly accurate estimate. I only factor in replica shirts, i've bought loads of stuff for my car, i have a latics brolly, a latics key ring, a latics mug and mouse mat. Just getting more people to the ground will increase sales of all of these items.

Real, I've already told you why I think (yes, think ) it could work IF a certain amount of season tickets could be sold.

I'm not about to start calculating exactly how many season tickets at a reduced price we would need to sell because that would be stupid - I have no precise knowledge of the accounts and costs etc at OAFC and nor do you. Put it this way though, Corney has mentioned 7 - 8,000 - I think he knows a fair bit more than you about the incomings and outgoings at OAFC.

You don't think it can work, I do - end of mate.