Skype?

Beardy

Im not prying, its just i was told to sign up for it and i cant find anyone i know that uses it, does anyone know owt about it?

Yes. It's handy if you have family or friends abroad, or if a lot of people you know are liable to on a PC when you want to call them. It's not especially cheap for domestic calls. I've had no problems with the sound quality, it's about as good as your headphones and whether you folow the set up routine.

I have a mate who's used it for a while and PC-to-PC being free makes it handy, but I've not gone for it on the basis that the people I talk to online I do so thru MSN/Google/Forums and the ones I don't I use my mobile instead, for which I have bag fulls of 'free' minutes at a price equal to that of the PC-HousePhone prices on Skype.

So I guess you have to look at who you will call and what service they use.

In the long run I guess it may work out OK, as the current trend is to move most services onto God's Gift (broadband). Although how long that will last I don't know, seems rather narrow minded to me... TV didn't kill the radio, did it, so why should broadband kill TV?

I'm off on a Thompson esq tangent now, so I shall retreat to my uni work and leave you good folk to it!

I have a mate who's used it for a while and PC-to-PC being free makes it handy, but I've not gone for it on the basis that the people I talk to online I do so thru MSN/Google/Forums and the ones I don't I use my mobile instead, for which I have bag fulls of 'free' minutes at a price equal to that of the PC-HousePhone prices on Skype.

So I guess you have to look at who you will call and what service they use.

In the long run I guess it may work out OK, as the current trend is to move most services onto God's Gift (broadband). Although how long that will last I don't know, seems rather narrow minded to me... TV didn't kill the radio, did it, so why should broadband kill TV?

I'm off on a Thompson esq tangent now, so I shall retreat to my uni work and leave you good folk to it!

That's about what I meant to say, with free mobile minutes, phone at work and cheap landlines it's not such a big deal anyway. But my old man works in the states a lot and we can talk for free any time he's in a hotel or an office and I'm home. That's where it's worth having I reckon.