Rugby at Boundary Park

Sheephead

Should the Roughyheads stay at boundary park??  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Roughyheads stay at boundary park??

• Yes
    • No

It clearly is affecting the pitch, and I think it should be moved to hurst cross, where it was for a short period of time down to *cough*

I'm not anti the rugby but I don't see the point in them staying at BP in the long term playing in a 7% full ground. If they were pulling even half the meagre crowds we get then maybe but if they stay at the level they are at surely they would be better getting a share arrangement and maybe sharing ground development costs with a non-league football club? I'm not voting though necause they are entitled to use BP under the terms of their lease and I think they are being used as a scapegoat for the state of the pitch.

I appreciate what LL is saying, and I don't think they are at fault for the entire pitch issue, but there can be no doubting it's a problem they've contributed to.

Under the terms of their agreement they are entitled to use BP, and I have no problem with that as such - but if they are only pulling in 1000 people a game (ish) then they really do not need somewhere the size of BP.

If in 5-10 years time the new arena is built and the pitch has been invested in - with under-soil heating, improved drains, improved covers etc etc then I'd welcome them back - knowing that they would have considerably less impact on the surface, and that they would be contributing to the 'community' aspect of the ground (giving them some space for an office, ticket sales desk, a section of the club shop etc.) and looking for possible integration of the clubs on some level.

But right now - from a cost/benefit analysis point of view - I think they are a hindrance not a help, so as a result I've voted no.

Absolutely not!

It's a minority sport (and I'm being generous there) and should be cast aside onto Clayton Fields where it's meagre crowds would feel more at home. :sign0003: It's ruining the BP pitch which was a a billiard-table when it first went down and has steadily deteriorated ever since the egg-chasers were allowed back on it. :angry:

It's amazing that such a dunderhead sport is allowed to ruin the beautiful game and it shouldn't be allowed. Is the Italian rugby team allowed to play at the San Siro? Does the Scottish rugby team ever play at Hampden? Does the Scottish rugby play anyway?

Arse of the highest order!

:mad:

1 They have a contract to play rugby at BP for 6 years, money which is welcomed by TTA

2 Allowing the rugby to play at BP keeps the club in the councils good books, the council owned the pitch before TTA bought the club and part of the deal was to let the rugby play at BP and not charge them over the odds like Chris Moore did to force them out, the pitch was bought so that both sports can play on it.

3 Grants for the stadium project will be more forthcoming if the stadium was used for both sports

4 Would you like Latics to be forced at of the town of Oldham in the roles were reversed?

5 Theres a myth about Rugby ruining the pitch, Rugby Union ruins pitches due to the contested scrums, rugby league doesn't.

6 IT'S BLOODY WINTER, thats what happens to pitches in the lower leagues at this time of year.

Edited by Senor_Coconut

Absolutely not!

It's a minority sport (and I'm being generous there) and should be cast aside onto Clayton Fields where it's meagre crowds would feel more at home. :sign0003: It's ruining the BP pitch which was a a billiard-table when it first went down and has steadily deteriorated ever since the egg-chasers were allowed back on it. :angry:

It's amazing that such a dunderhead sport is allowed to ruin the beautiful game and it shouldn't be allowed. Is the Italian rugby team allowed to play at the San Siro? Does the Scottish rugby team ever play at Hampden? Does the Scottish rugby play anyway?

Why would Scotland play at Hampden when they have a stadium which is far better?

You should really only post about stuff you know.

Right enough, lets not have a petty bitch fight, lets have a discussion about it!

For my part i was annoyed on Sat the pitch looks atrocious, but as coco said they do cut up quite a lot over the winter.

But, i voted NO as surely the crowds they get dont have anywere near the impact that it should do, i dont follow rugby now so im not sure of entrance fee, and everything else to do with it but im sure that it cant be cost effective?

Coco makes IMO a mixture of valid and rubbish points. I don't believe the rent the egg-chasers pay has any bearing on the Latics accounts. I also think it's scare-mongering on their part to pretend that we won't get grants if we don't have them at BP. We are talking about a major development, considerations about jobs, residents, investment etc will carry far more weight than the rugby. As I said though the pitch is not mainly their fault, the rugby season just happened to start soon after the torrential downpours which did the real damage. Coco is right that RL games don't have the set pieces Union does where the fatties dig their long studs in and rake it up, tackling in real football does more damage.

My thoughts are that if we are to share in the long term then the Rugby needs to contribute properly to the whole cost of building, maintaining, taxation and everything else that the football club bears alone, rather than them paying a token rent. Uddy and Pieland (sadly in the latter case) have viable teams in both sports, so they can't complain about things like pitch damage because they both pay for the upkeep. And Coco, you haven't really explained why you want to play at a place you can't get one tenth full, isn't it a bit miserable?

Right enough, lets not have a petty bitch fight, lets have a discussion about it!

For my part i was annoyed on Sat the pitch looks atrocious, but as coco said they do cut up quite a lot over the winter.

But, i voted NO as surely the crowds they get dont have anywere near the impact that it should do, i dont follow rugby now so im not sure of entrance fee, and everything else to do with it but im sure that it cant be cost effective?

Rummy will be dishing the Chinese Burns out at the next Board Meeting!

:argue:

Can you really see the council building/allowing two sporting arenas in the town? Theres a reason why Doncasters new stadium is used by 4 different clubs, there are plenty of grants available from Sport England for dual sports stadsium. There is nowhere else in the town suitable for a rugby ground to be built, there is only BP and my point still stands, if the roles were reversed and the rugby were the owners of BP and Latics got 1500 to a game, would you really want the club to move out of the town?

I haven't voted because I'm torn over this issue. On the one hand, I do think the pitch suffers, because of the extra wear and tear and reduction in time it gets for 'recovery'. However, there aren't any other real reasons for wanting the rugby out. I'm not a rugby fan, can't stand the sport, but I do hope they can make a go of things. This leads to the other side of the argument; if the rugby were chucked out of BP, they'd be lucky to survive. Let's face it, they will be anyway. If the rugby are part of the BP plans then it will help to ensure that the council and such like view the project in a positive light. It would be nice if a floodlit training facility, with limited spectator facilities, could be included in the project though so that rugby and reserve team football could be played there instead.

Absolutely not!

I don't think the 'yeds are pulling 1000 a game are they? Anyway, unfortunately around these parts there ain't a great deal of decent RL, which is a shame - I suppose Hornets aren't bad - but they'll never get into the Super League again. The level that the Yeds are playing they should play somewhere else. I don't care what rent they're paying - I've heard it all before - they should be at Chaddy Town or somewhere like that, and not in a 14k-ish capacity stadium.

As for the dunderhead sport remark - I watch RL at the highest level there is - and it ain't dunderhead. It's magnificent. Last Friday night was the crowning glory of St.Helens and GB Super League. It was a honour to watch some of the best atheletes in sport play for a world trophy. But this is a different debate...

I haven't voted because I'm torn over this issue. On the one hand, I do think the pitch suffers, because of the extra wear and tear and reduction in time it gets for 'recovery'. However, there aren't any other real reasons for wanting the rugby out. I'm not a rugby fan, can't stand the sport, but I do hope they can make a go of things. This leads to the other side of the argument; if the rugby were chucked out of BP, they'd be lucky to survive. Let's face it, they will be anyway. If the rugby are part of the BP plans then it will help to keep the council and such like to view the project in a positive light. It would be nice if a floodlit training facility, with limited spectator facilities, could be included in the project though so that rugby and reserve team football could be played there instead.

That's a pretty decent idea. I bet you could throw up a 2000ish seater with decent facilities for not much. Our reserves would have a home, we would have a training ground, the rugby could have a fullish ground, it might get extra usage from local sports finals, private hire events etc. If the egg chasers happened to get promoted to the Thingy or got a big draw in the Whatsit Cup they could always move into the main ground.

Yeah, keep yer cool!!

:D

That's a pretty decent idea. I bet you could throw up a 2000ish seater with decent facilities for not much. Our reserves would have a home, we would have a training ground, the rugby could have a fullish ground, it might get extra usage from local sports finals, private hire events etc.

And what would happen then? We would all say, "Have you seen the state of our reserves pitch? Kick the rugby off!".

I dont think they should be kicked off because the pitch was knackered before they even played a game on it. They are just being used as an excuse. It cut up badly during the Forest game and has been knackered since. They aren't helping it, but to blame them is just a convenient excuse.

best way to help get rid of the roughyeds from latics is calling all latics fans and friends boycott the rugby ,so they lose money and go under ..

We'd hardly be very impressed if the Roughyeds fans were calling on each other to do that to us, would we?

Ok, knock it off - let's take the heat outta this - what do you say?!

If we can't debate the issue, however strongly we feel about our position in a decent manner - we'll step in and start warning people.

Let's consolidate our stance on the issues with good debate and critical thinking.

Cheers guys,

Rummy.