So we're pretty much over with this season

oafcprozac

Define this season  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best sums up your 07/08 experience?

• Success, afterall look at the injuries we've had to contend with AND we won at Leeds at Everton. That'll do fer me!
    • Above Average, Top 10 any season is a good achievement
    • Average, as expected, after losing Wellens and Porter
    • Disappointing - should've been higher
    • Very Disappointing, with the squad we assmbled we should have walked this poor league
    • Catastrophic, we're doomed, burn Shez at the stake etc...

I went for the 2nd option. I honestly believe that if we could have had a settled squad for the majority of the season, we'd be in the top 6. However, the games we've lost we've lost because of some absolutely daft mistakes from our lads - we've been our worst enemy. We haven't been torn apart because we're a poor side once this season, IMO. When we're all having a go, we're a bloody hard side to break down.

Adding to this, we've lost 1-0 9 times this season. Frustrating, of course it is. Our lack of cutting edge, too, has hindered us. We've had too many games where we just haven't done our job - the balance of the side is down to Shez. He doesn't get any blame from me, barring a few decisions early on - before we even first kicked a ball - and I bet he rues them. Other than that, he's been kicked in the teeth all season, and he's been approaching games not even knowing the team, or how he's going to play, because of the players' injuries.

We've had some pleasing factors, for sure. Off the field, we've seen our new plans for the stadium accepted - that's a major boost for the club and town. People will forget this. On field, we've seen some excellent performances (probably not Shez' fault, but more down to luck. But when we lose, it's his fault, eh?). We've also seen yet another successful Cup run, and we've made a fair amount from that. We also watched Trotman come in, and within 20 games, get sold for £500,000. Maybe not enough, but that's more money into the club's balance. And let's not forget the other young lads we've seen come into side - Smalley, Lomax (again), Alessandra. These players will hopefully have benefited majorly from this experience, and take that into next season, making us stronger, without having to spend. We even broke a new club record in terms of away victories.

I'm disappointed because most of us believed we had a proper chance at getting into the top 6, and in reality, we just didn't have the depth to take on the demanding schedule (how many games had we re-arranged due to the Cup?). However, I can see a future with Sheridan. He's young, and it's very rare for a manager to mention learning from his mistakes.

I look forward to next season. We need to strengthen, few will deny this, and I think we will. It's an important season for Sheridan, because he can't hide behind his inexperience. He's said we have to go up, so I'm certainly willing to give him a 3rd term with us. Then again, I'm willing to give him longer.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is where we are and where we deserve to be - but DULL??? Some great results this season in the cup especially, nearlyplay offs last seas, very much up and down this season but DULL - never!!!

Last season doesn't count. The cup apart, it's been very dull, especially at home. What crap are you used to watching???NEVER DULL. Well, that's reflected in the home crowds then isn't it!!! It's been that exciting the season ticket sales will go through the roof.

That's the problem, those that want Shez out fair enough, they are entitled to their opinion, but why not back up the argument by making a suggestion of who to replace Shez? That's why many get the grief they are doing. Back up your argument constructively with a suggested replacement and how the candidate can take us forward and i'm sure more will be accomodating and respectful of their viewpoint.

There have been many constructive arguments, but they're ignored. Mids has made more sense than most. You happy clappers think 'well there doesn't seem to be an alternative therefore stick with crap.' Very logical and constructive. The problem has always been in this debate that the Sheridan lovers make vacuous statements about how good he's been over the last twelve months but produce no evidence. Player turnover, lack of clear organization, amount of boring football, inability to attract players (for very long). He may have potential as a coach but as a manager he has clearly demonstrated a complete lack of ability. Many have been 'constructive' and suggested he needs a senior figure, but he wouldn't want that. As for alternatives, we can all reel names off but you have to actually know people from the inside to determine their ability and nobody on this site has that knowledge so making alternative suggestions does not demonstrate an inability to be constructive but a simple honesty. When Royle and Dowie git the job I was surprised - never saw it coming. But then why should i, i didn't know them or their abilities. Not putting forward alternatives (though many have) is not an argument for not saying criticism is not valid and should be followed by a torrent of abuse in a wolf-pack mentality.

Agreed. I starting think there is something strange about the passionate defense of Sheridan on the Board. Critics get hammered and even insulted in such a way as to make it bizarre, but why? I'm beginning to suspect some kind of homo-erotic connection!!!

Last season doesn't count. The cup apart, it's been very dull, especially at home. What crap are you used to watching???NEVER DULL. Well, that's reflected in the home crowds then isn't it!!! It's been that exciting the season ticket sales will go through the roof.

There have been many constructive arguments, but they're ignored. Mids has made more sense than most. You happy clappers think 'well there doesn't seem to be an alternative therefore stick with crap.' Very logical and constructive. The problem has always been in this debate that the Sheridan lovers make vacuous statements about how good he's been over the last twelve months but produce no evidence. Player turnover, lack of clear organization, amount of boring football, inability to attract players (for very long). He may have potential as a coach but as a manager he has clearly demonstrated a complete lack of ability. Many have been 'constructive' and suggested he needs a senior figure, but he wouldn't want that. As for alternatives, we can all reel names off but you have to actually know people from the inside to determine their ability and nobody on this site has that knowledge so making alternative suggestions does not demonstrate an inability to be constructive but a simple honesty. When Royle and Dowie git the job I was surprised - never saw it coming. But then why should i, i didn't know them or their abilities. Not putting forward alternatives (though many have) is not an argument for not saying criticism is not valid and should be followed by a torrent of abuse in a wolf-pack mentality.

Nice to see that you are redressing the balance.

And as for Prozac being a happy clapper! I'll leave him to reply to that one! :grin:

I said that after our poor start LAST season, and nothing has happened to convince me otherwise. Shez comes across as too proud to admit his shortcomings, D.O.F doesn't always work but Lennie Lawrence at Brizzle Rovers has helped Paul Trollope no end. Joe Royle may not be the answer but Shez's biggest mistake was not bringing in an experienced head to be First Team Coach, I remember many on JK were disappointed when Tommy (not easy for me to say as he was a Latics legend in my eyes) was given the job. An experienced coach who isn't bezzie mates with half the squad and known the nippers since they were 12 may well be in order. Billy Dearden, Willie Donachie, Sammy Lee etc.. would be ideal. Let Shez learn how to manage with authority and learn how to come up with ideas that are not only refreshing but at least demonstrate he has a Plan B and not the decisiveness of Homer Simpson stuck in an alleyway between Dunkin' Donuts and Krusty Burger. Which has been all too apparent in the two years he has been manager.

Thats a great point.....although I dont know where the 'Shez is too proud' thing has come from.

I would have voted for a combination of the top two - 'Above average, a top ten finish is good considering the injuries'. But I can see an argument for any of the top four.

With regards to the Shez in, Shez out debate that yet another thread has become....I havent checked but I bet ignoring the first ten games (ie over the last 32 games) we are comfortably in the top 6, AND on a MINISCULE budget considering all the salaries in the treatment room. That to me is a sign of a very good manager who started putting things right sometime ago. If you shez slaters want to hang him for the mistakes he was making all that time ago then what can we/he do?? Maybe you should start slating Mark Allot for his performances ten years ago.......

Why dont you Shez outers/fools stop bleating abvout it on here and go and have a little protest outside the ground like has always happened when fans want the manager out?? Let me know how many join you......im sure you'l be able to count them.

PMSL! Me a Happy Clapper! Post of the year, read any of my posts and i'm a lot of things, many not repeatable as this is a family board. Read the post,i'm asking those that want rid of Shez NOW to come up with his replacement and an argumaent as to why said individual should be installed.

Incidentally, he's got until Christmas, but my patience has been running thin since October last year. I'm not one for getting rid of the manager for the sake of it but if there's a better man for the job you may convince me otherwise. Simply calling everyone a happy clapper does not offer an explanation as to who you may think take us forward. Over to you!

And who would the "right" man be?

Please don't put Richie's name forward.

Ritchie should get more credit than he does and if he had similar support to what Sheridan has had from the owners then I'm sure we'd be in a much better position. Ignore what went on at Huddersfield because at least we have owners who are hands-off, supportive and dedicated to football.

He'd be one of my choices but the ultimate decision would be the owners. That aside, Mike Newell would be one but I'm sure that we'd have a decent pick come the summer.

Sheridan will still be here next season but I don't predict a major upturn in our successes I'm afraid!

Guest oa_exile
He'd be one of my choices but the ultimate decision would be the owners.

lol :grin: TTA can now rest easy knowing that they can still "Hire and Fire" as the fans are "allowing" them to make those important ultimate decisions :lol:

If I was an owner of a football club Newell wouldn't get within a million miles of it. Nothing to do with football management at all though.

Hmmmmmmmmmm, if you suggested what I think you're suggesting then would someone make public incriminations and accusations if the same could be thrown back at them? I think it's a stitch up from some disgruntled agents and doesn't detract from what he has achieved on a shoestring elsewhere.

How can anyone be anything other than disappointed with this season?

Simple really....depends what you expected from the season. And that's something which when voting, will prejudice one way or the other how this season's really seen. If others felt we'd be right up there challenging, there'll be disappointment. If you felt there were many gambles, lack of cover/experience if injuries bit etc. and expected mid-table then it's been a successful one.

Read the following and have a guess what I voted for.....

July 13th

Not done the actual votey thing coz I wanted to put top 10. Due to the massive number of gambles we've brought in, I'm undecided if we'll be good enough for promotion, playoffs or 7th-10th but I think we'll do better than "mid-table" so I'll stick with my unpolled option of top 10

7th Aug

I wasn't as confident as some appear, as only on paper do we look to have assembled a very handy squad. However, having seen 4 of the 5 friendlies we've played (listened to the other) the attack looks like it will work, even whilst we do have the small problem of no midfield playmaker. That speaks volumes for me....coz over the years, we've felt we've had a midfield for the job and just no-one to put the ball in the net. Last year, Porter did it and now, Davies looks a replacement who can emulate Porter easily. Add to that, Ricketts has started very brightly and it's something major for us to build on. My confidence has risen.....but I like to keep a reality check on things and again, playoffs in the first season of a fairly brand new squad would be a major achievement. Top 10 would be success.

Over-confident, us? Only in small areas, here and there!

8th Aug

Should we start off poorly and start bemoaning what this squad "should" be doing, the next thing that will happen will be the chanting for Shez's head. Let's be realistic about it all....if we make the top 10, it's great stuff and even better if we reach the playoffs. On paper....we should easily reach the playoffs.....but we don't play on paper and I don't want to be calling for a managers head if it's not quite gelling for us this season. But we've seen it all before, haven't we? The majority can get all over-excited and then turn nasty again if it ain't working! If that's what they want. On paper we could pi$$ it...in a month or two, we might be doing it on grass and then I'll probably state that we can achieve promotion and that not making the playoffs would be poor if we've started very well. But as things stand, today, August 8th, the top ten will be an acceptable finish with a new squad which has more gambles in it than Paul Merson!

Sept 21st

Nope...happy with what I've previously written on here and on ISZ.com...

Edited by boundaryblue80

If I was an owner of a football club Newell wouldn't get within a million miles of it. Nothing to do with football management at all though.

I agree OS. He does need to toughen up and start telling women to know their place a bit more readily :shock:

Hmmmmmmmmmm, if you suggested what I think you're suggesting then would someone make public incriminations and accusations if the same could be thrown back at them? I think it's a stitch up from some disgruntled agents and doesn't detract from what he has achieved on a shoestring elsewhere.

I'm not suggesting that there is anything that Newell would be doing wrong, but football clubs get things done in a certain manner (i.e underhand, devious and generally illegal manners), the last thing you want is your manager off squealing about what goes on every five minutes. *Disclaimer: I'm not saying this is the case at OAFC*

I quite admire his gumption that he has the balls to stand up in this manner, but it wouldn't surprise me if he never worked again.

NB. He was also right in that birds can't referee and that Johnny Foreigner are all pansies.

I see us as an improving middle-of-the-league club with the size that we are at the moment, so I believe that last season was a major over-achievement getting to the playoffs and although I was hopeful of a similar season this time around I can't say that I expected it.

If we were in the bottom half or being threatened with relegation then yes I agree that Shez should go but for a first time manager I would say that these first two seasons of likely top half finishes have been a success and he certainly warrants a 3rd year and he definitely doesn't 'need' to go. I believe that every time a club sacks a manager within 2 or 3 seasons without the club moving up or down a division it takes the club back to where they were when the manager got the job. This is what the problem would be if we sacked Shez now, a new manager would come in and would most likely need a year or so to make it his team so promotion would be out of the question next season. Very few managers gain promotion in their 1st season at a club and the chances of us finding a manager like that are unlikely.

I agree with what you and other people say about some of Shez's wrong decisions, but he has made enough right ones to continue as manager, the biggest being giving our young players chances to shine in the 1st team (remember this is what everyone was crying out for when Moore was in charge).

Don't get me wrong I'm not blindly worshipping Shez because I believe this next season coming up is a fantastic chance for promotion (although the rest of the league will probably only see us as dark horses for the title) so the pressure on him to do well will be very big, and if proves that he hasn't learnt from his mistakes and doesn't get us anywhere near promotion then I will probably be one of the 1st to call for his head.

Agree with much of what you've said, but totally disagree on the bold sentence highlighted. Shez has sadly been forced into that one. I was calling for Trotman to be used last season when our defence went awol (esp the Port Vale 3-0 defeat and injuries, meaning it was perfect to play him as we had no-one). I was also calling for Smalley to be played on the RW instead of Lids early this season (amongst the laughter from his biggest fans who roll out that now famous stat) and using Lids from the bench (possibly would've seen more use of Lids that way, had it been done) and a better, faster attacking outlet in Smalley with more balance. Took injury for that to happen. Also, Lewis wouldn't have got much of a run out but for injuries. (EDIT: Just thought....and Lomax!!! Not even going to start on that one and his pissing about over playing him.)

While I don't want Shez jumped on at every turn by his detractors, I'm going to disagree when he's given credit for something he really isn't worthy of IMO. The biggest correct decisions he's made this season for me are simple....the signings of Allott, Hazell and Davies (his important goals early on.) Hughes wasn't his signing so can't credit him on that one, but those 3 were and the thought of where we'd be in the table this season but for those 3 players makes me shudder! And so, that's Shez's biggest achievement for me this season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I said that after our poor start LAST season, and nothing has happened to convince me otherwise. Shez comes across as too proud to admit his shortcomings, D.O.F doesn't always work but Lennie Lawrence at Brizzle Rovers has helped Paul Trollope no end. Joe Royle may not be the answer but Shez's biggest mistake was not bringing in an experienced head to be First Team Coach, I remember many on JK were disappointed when Tommy (not easy for me to say as he was a Latics legend in my eyes) was given the job. An experienced coach who isn't bezzie mates with half the squad and known the nippers since they were 12 may well be in order. Billy Dearden, Willie Donachie, Sammy Lee etc.. would be ideal. Let Shez learn how to manage with authority and learn how to come up with ideas that are not only refreshing but at least demonstrate he has a Plan B and not the decisiveness of Homer Simpson stuck in an alleyway between Lardlad Donuts and Krusty Burger. Which has been all too apparent in the two years he has been manager.

Couple of things Prozac (baring in mind we're not worlds apart in our thoughts on Shez at present).....

But as I've asked elsewhere, please, please, please can someone point out where this Director of Football has been implemented and worked? I'm still waiting for someone to answer , whilst noticing how we'll probably be the deciding factor of Crewe's fate and speaks volumes about what a Director of Football offers. Sod all....there couldn't be anyone better than Dario Gradi to be overseeing his manager, but look where that's led.

Also....who was Royles "Director of Football" back in the day? Nope....it's all modern :censored: I'm afraid to cover up the fact that all that's required is patience and stability....not the unsettling man above being involved.

Finally, we've got a very interesting thread going elsewhere about who might be a suitable replacement. I personally feel that discussion is best left there and doesn't come into it when discussing how we see this season on this thread. Mostly because few want Shez out and fair play, on here they've said why which is what it's for. And those who do want a change have been the ones put the names forward on the other thread which I've got less interest in reading than this one about peoples views on the season as a whole. We don't need two threads doing that, do we? Will devalue this thread if it goes that way, IMO.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Couple of things Prozac (baring in mind we're not worlds apart in our thoughts on Shez at present).....

But as I've asked elsewhere, please, please, please can someone point out where this Director of Football has been implemented and worked? I'm still waiting for someone to answer , whilst noticing how we'll probably be the deciding factor of Crewe's fate and speaks volumes about what a Director of Football offers. Sod all....there couldn't be anyone better than Dario Gradi to be overseeing his manager, but look where that's led.

Also....who was Royles "Director of Football" back in the day? Nope....it's all modern :censored: I'm afraid to cover up the fact that all that's required is patience and stability....not the unsettling man above being involved.

Finally, we've got a very interesting thread going elsewhere about who might be a suitable replacement. I personally feel that discussion is best left there and doesn't come into it when discussing how we see this season on this thread. Mostly because few want Shez out and fair play, on here they've said why which is what it's for. And those who do want a change have been the ones put the names forward on the other thread which I've got less interest in reading than this one about peoples views on the season as a whole. We don't need two threads doing that, do we? Will devalue this thread if it goes that way, IMO.

Lets be honest the results early on in the season, even when we had Gregan, Bertrand, Liddell etc were gash. All this injury nonsense is rubbish. We clearly have a problem getting up for games, win one, loose one, followed by the same bull bingo by shez after every game. The buch has to stop with shez when it comes down to inconsistancy.

SHEZ TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY RATHER THAN PUTTING INJURIES, KIDS IN THE WAY OF THE BULLETS

NO MOTIVATION - CLEAR AS DAY!!!

hazell and allott,his best signings so far.

davies is also a good signing but needs to use his awareness of other players more.

i think he would greatly benefit from the advice by an older head whos done it all before,but im not sure the best way to implement it,like has been said d.o.f dont really work,but im sure if he was to say phone somebody or meet somebody for a chat it could only help,like in a mentoring role.

thats about it really,very few flashes of our true potential this season,which im sure will be put right next season.

the only thing he really needs to learn is to not give press conferences,lol

Lets be honest the results early on in the season, even when we had Gregan, Bertrand, Liddell etc were gash. All this injury nonsense is rubbish. We clearly have a problem getting up for games, win one, loose one, followed by the same bull bingo by shez after every game. The buch has to stop with shez when it comes down to inconsistancy.

SHEZ TAKE THE RESPONSIBILITY RATHER THAN PUTTING INJURIES, KIDS IN THE WAY OF THE BULLETS

NO MOTIVATION - CLEAR AS DAY!!!

Only motivated us to one of the biggest shocks in this year's FA Cup, but there we are.

I honestly can't wait for next season. You see, all those going miles OTT, like you, will be sat there thinking "Jesus, I'm a tool", if we're top of the league, and looking a bloody strong unit.

You can say we've gotta do it, I agree, but if that happens yours and others' replies will be priceless.

Only motivated us to one of the biggest shocks in this year's FA Cup, but there we are.

I honestly can't wait for next season. You see, all those going miles OTT, like you, will be sat there thinking "Jesus, I'm a tool", if we're top of the league, and looking a bloody strong unit.

You can say we've gotta do it, I agree, but if that happens yours and others' replies will be priceless.

If

If

If

If

I deal with fact not pipe dreams

Its your loyalty to Shez that makes you a fool!

If

If

If

If

I deal with fact not pipe dreams

Its your loyalty to Shez that makes you a fool!

Ok, we'll just not talk about next season, then? We won't speculate on anything, no?

Here's a fact for you, though: Everton 0-1 Latics.

Nowt to do with Shez, though.

Ok, we'll just not talk about next season, then? We won't speculate on anything, no?

Here's a fact for you, though: Everton 0-1 Latics.

Nowt to do with Shez, though.

hang on a moment......here's another one of those facts

leeds1-oldham3

again nothing to do with shez though eh