So we're pretty much over with this season

oafcprozac

Define this season  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best sums up your 07/08 experience?

• Success, afterall look at the injuries we've had to contend with AND we won at Leeds at Everton. That'll do fer me!
    • Above Average, Top 10 any season is a good achievement
    • Average, as expected, after losing Wellens and Porter
    • Disappointing - should've been higher
    • Very Disappointing, with the squad we assmbled we should have walked this poor league
    • Catastrophic, we're doomed, burn Shez at the stake etc...

Motivation isn't a problem against Everton and Leeds, the fact they were playing at Goodison and Elland Road was enough.

It's games against lesser opposition where we tend to struggle and that's where your motivational skills are most needed.

Consistency has been a big problem this season and you really don't know which team is going to turn up.

If we don't sort it out, next season will be just the same.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this Shez out business. Last season in his first year we get to the play-offs. This year we look like finishing top 10 despite having just about the worst injury list of any team in the football league so I think we've done OK. Surely the guy deserves another season as it seems to me he has us going in the right direction. I mean, how long did it take Joe to get it right eh?! I don't agree with the chopping and changing of managers. We've been doing that for the past 6/7 years and look where it's got us - nowhere.

And all this who-har about KK being a terrible signing. We all thought it was a masterstroke when he signed him, I remember reading god knows how many posts saying as much on here. But now of course it was bad management etc etc etc..... Yes we had a terrible start to the season, but we also had a team full of players who had barely played together so it was always going to take time to get it right. Just when he did though, they all started to get injurred. So I think we've done well considering.

I'm not a "Shez worshiper" by any stretch, I just think so far he's done decent enough and should be given more time. Unless big Joe wants his old job back that is. :)

I don't get this Shez out business. Last season in his first year we get to the play-offs. This year we look like finishing top 10 despite having just about the worst injury list of any team in the football league so I think we've done OK. Surely the guy deserves another season as it seems to me he has us going in the right direction. I mean, how long did it take Joe to get it right eh?! I don't agree with the chopping and changing of managers. We've been doing that for the past 6/7 years and look where it's got us - nowhere.

And all this who-har about KK being a terrible signing. We all thought it was a masterstroke when he signed him, I remember reading god knows how many posts saying as much on here. But now of course it was bad management etc etc etc..... Yes we had a terrible start to the season, but we also had a team full of players who had barely played together so it was always going to take time to get it right. Just when he did though, they all started to get injurred. So I think we've done well considering.

I'm not a "Shez worshiper" by any stretch, I just think so far he's done decent enough and should be given more time. Unless big Joe wants his old job back that is. :)

Agree with most of your post bar the bit highlighted. Not all thought it was a masterstroke at all....infact, there were quite of number who didn't think it was. I know, coz I was one of them. We'd set up our season without him then changed it completely on the night before, coz we landed him. A player I thought was talented in ways (better away from home, but poor at home with tight defences) and vasty overrated by those fans talking him up. For me, when here first time, he looked miles better due to a player who is one of the best we've had since the Prem days.....Lee Croft. I wasn't that happy at all with the way Shez chased him the 2nd time....nor the 3rd time when he went to Leeds. But that's in the past.

Like I say, most of what you say is spot on. Esp. the fact the team was practically strangers when the kicked off the season. Hence us not hitting the floor running. That hopefully will be a different matter in August 2008. No excuses for Shez next season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Last season doesn't count. The cup apart, it's been very dull, especially at home. What crap are you used to watching???NEVER DULL. Well, that's reflected in the home crowds then isn't it!!! It's been that exciting the season ticket sales will go through the roof.

Home crowds have been as what was expected apart from the extra mid-week games we had to endure thanks to our cup success - even when we have been beaten at BP, we have been unlucky and really gone for it - the CRAP I am used to watching is Owdum, that is the only team I watch - mebbe you are watching too much Premiership footy on telly to think we should be soooo much better!

Home crowds have been as what was expected apart from the extra mid-week games we had to endure thanks to our cup success - even when we have been beaten at BP, we have been unlucky and really gone for it - the CRAP I am used to watching is Owdum, that is the only team I watch - mebbe you are watching too much Premiership footy on telly to think we should be soooo much better!

Yes-let's pay twenty quid a game and accept being served up what is half the time garbage even for this level. As we're seeing, that's the way to pack Boundary Park out.

The Premiership doesn't even come into it.

For me the season has been symbolic of a club that has lost all sense of direction. The collapse that came about once we briefly and unexpectedly topped the league last season, due largely to dithering and indecision at all levels of the club, was telling.

Talk of promotion, as we have seen for the last four years or so, is bogus, and seldom matched by what goes on the pitch or in the transfer market. Nobody at the club really believes it. Nobody wants it.

The owners and most of the club staff do care, but it isn't difficult to see that the real attitude is that 'we have found our level.'

The club has accepted defeat at the hands of the changes in the game over the last 15 or so years. Those fans who haven't done likewise are walking away in disillusion.

Hey Corp. Why don't you save yourself time? Just refer people to your earlier messages. They're all the same.

By the way , if the logic of your last para is followed ( forgive me for a smile, it's the word logic) , then you yourself are "walking away in disillusion". Please confirm that you are. Please.

Hey Corp. Why don't you save yourself time? Just refer people to your earlier messages. They're all the same.

By the way , if the logic of your last para is followed ( forgive me for a smile, it's the word logic) , then you yourself are "walking away in disillusion". Please confirm that you are. Please.

It doesn't matter that I stick mostly to the same subject when the reality is that all roads lead back to the fact that the club has, not entirely due to its own fault, come to be stuck in a vicious circle whereby it not only lacks the finances to buy its way out of this level, but the kind of guile and sheer determination that enables other clubs, smaller or no bigger, to do it. Ultimately that road leads to the end of full-time fprofessional football in this town. It's a dilemma faced by many clubs.

Until that happens, I can't see myself ever walking away. I wish I could, because football as it has become (thanks to the greed in the game) is a senseless rip-off.

It doesn't matter that I stick mostly to the same subject when the reality is that all roads lead back to the fact that the club has, not entirely due to its own fault, come to be stuck in a vicious circle whereby it not only lacks the finances to buy its way out of this level, but the kind of guile and sheer determination that enables other clubs, smaller or no bigger, to do it. Ultimately that road leads to the end of full-time fprofessional football in this town. It's a dilemma faced by many clubs.

Until that happens, I can't see myself ever walking away. I wish I could, because football as it has become (thanks to the greed in the game) is a senseless rip-off.

I think you might make your point better by not turning all threads towards it. Just because you see all roads leading to one way doesn’t mean every discussion has to about that. Perhaps if you engaged in threads on their own terms once in a while you might appreciate the different perspectives fans of various other persuasions have? It’s not to say that your point is invalid, but for many you repeat yourself so much that all most readers see is :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

:dead: OAFC RIP

Jesus Christ, how short some people's memories are.

With the true memory of administration and uncertainty still crystal clear in the minds of many around the club, I think some would have every right to be offended by such an extreme reaction now, when our future as a club is rosier and has more potential than at any time since relegation from the Prem.

Guest oa_exile
:dead: OAFC RIP

With the true memory of administration and uncertainty still crystal clear in the minds of many around the club, I think some would have every right to be offended by such an extreme reaction now, when our future as a club is rosier and has more potential than at any time since relegation from the Prem.

Knowing Hometownclub as a poster i would be pretty sure that was a :whoosh:

So Garcon :rolleyes:

As I've said before, sarcasm's only the lowest form of wit when you don't get it. :laught16::getmecoat:

(But it serves as a point to the doomsayers - some of whom really do seem to have short memories)

Edited by garcon

Guest oa_exile
As I've said before, sarcasm's only the lowest form of wit when you don't get it. :laught16::getmecoat:

(But it serves as a point to the doomsayers - some of whom really do seem to have short memories)

You've lost me :unsure: why what were you talking about ? :grin:

Yes-let's pay twenty quid a game and accept being served up what is half the time garbage even for this level. As we're seeing, that's the way to pack Boundary Park out.

Garbage at this level - you live in a different world.

Get a season ticket, it is only then! It works out about £14 instead of £20!

Only motivated us to one of the biggest shocks in this year's FA Cup, but there we are.

I honestly can't wait for next season. You see, all those going miles OTT, like you, will be sat there thinking "Jesus, I'm a tool", if we're top of the league, and looking a bloody strong unit.

You can say we've gotta do it, I agree, but if that happens yours and others' replies will be priceless.

Whilst the Everton victory was fantastic and unforgettable, I think some are going way over the top using it to justify a successful season - after all, we immediately wasted the chance to advance further by putting in a very average performance in the next round against Udders (Who believe their manager wasn't getting enough out of his team).

The FA Cup always throws up shocks - Barnsley beating Chelsea was a massive one, and over the years we have had a few great cup victories such as Arsenal '89, and more relevantly our defeat of Man City under the management of a total idiot (In most peoples eyes).

Let's hope for many more Evertonesque victories - but we should also keep perspective, and remember "One swallow doth not a summer make". It is reproducing those performances that makes a good manager - and Shez still needs to do that before he becomes 'The only man for the job'.

Sorry about that Garcon, it was just my sarcastic reaction to nearly every thread on here (regardless of title or topic) degenerating into an everything is wrong at BP and the club is doomed, doomed I tell yee.

And when people want us to go up this season without deserving it is simply madness. The football hasn't been anything to shout about, not by a long stretch - Shez will be the first to admit it.

And those who say it's about winning make me laugh. If people want to sit at any ground, paying whatever they do, to see any team stutter to a 1-0 win, then fair play. I don't want that. If we look back to last year, we watched some attacking football for 2/3 of the season. Wheras, under Ronnie Moore, Brian Talbot - the list will go on - we saw exactly what I do not want to see.

For me the season has been symbolic of a club that has lost all sense of direction. The collapse that came about once we briefly and unexpectedly topped the league last season, due largely to dithering and indecision at all levels of the club, was telling.

Talk of promotion, as we have seen for the last four years or so, is bogus, and seldom matched by what goes on the pitch or in the transfer market. Nobody at the club really believes it. Nobody wants it.

The owners and most of the club staff do care, but it isn't difficult to see that the real attitude is that 'we have found our level.'

The club has accepted defeat at the hands of the changes in the game over the last 15 or so years. Those fans who haven't done likewise are walking away in disillusion.

Are you saying we don't stand a chance at going up ever?

Whilst the Everton victory was fantastic and unforgettable, I think some are going way over the top using it to justify a successful season - after all, we immediately wasted the chance to advance further by putting in a very average performance in the next round against Udders (Who believe their manager wasn't getting enough out of his team).

The FA Cup always throws up shocks - Barnsley beating Chelsea was a massive one, and over the years we have had a few great cup victories such as Arsenal '89, and more relevantly our defeat of Man City under the management of a total idiot (In most peoples eyes).

Let's hope for many more Evertonesque victories - but we should also keep perspective, and remember "One swallow doth not a summer make". It is reproducing those performances that makes a good manager - and Shez still needs to do that before he becomes 'The only man for the job'.

The Everton example was aimed at the managements' lack of motivation.

I think you might make your point better by not turning all threads towards it. Just because you see all roads leading to one way doesn’t mean every discussion has to about that. Perhaps if you engaged in threads on their own terms once in a while you might appreciate the different perspectives fans of various other persuasions have? It’s not to say that your point is invalid, but for many you repeat yourself so much that all most readers see is :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

As I said though-all discussion ultimately leads back here.

It's called the crux of the matter. If people get upset about it, I can't help that.

The club might have avoided extinction, but that's no reason to pretend the future is rosy when the reality is that the club is treading water while mass disillusion sets in, with everything apparently based on an alleged plan that might not come off at all for all we know.

All of this points to a precarious, rather than rosy future.

With regards to the Shez in, Shez out debate that yet another thread has become....I havent checked but I bet ignoring the first ten games (ie over the last 32 games) we are comfortably in the top 6, AND on a MINISCULE budget considering all the salaries in the treatment room. That to me is a sign of a very good manager who started putting things right sometime ago. If you shez slaters want to hang him for the mistakes he was making all that time ago then what can we/he do?? Maybe you should start slating Mark Allot for his performances ten years ago.......

Lo and behold not a single one of the Shez outers has debated/challenged the above point/fact. It has been conveniently ignored.............

Sorry about that Garcon, it was just my sarcastic reaction to nearly every thread on here (regardless of title or topic) degenerating into an everything is wrong at BP and the club is doomed, doomed I tell yee.

I think you'll find that, rather than it being every thread that goes this way (to look at reality is not to cause degeneration by the way), it's probably less than 5% of threads.

You don't have to read the threads you don't like, after all.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

And those who say it's about winning make me laugh. If people want to sit at any ground, paying whatever they do, to see any team stutter to a 1-0 win, then fair play. I don't want that. If we look back to last year, we watched some attacking football for 2/3 of the season. Wheras, under Ronnie Moore, Brian Talbot - the list will go on - we saw exactly what I do not want to see.

Are you saying we don't stand a chance at going up ever?

I, too, enjoyed the football during the middle of last season better than for a long time. The massed banks of empty seats at BP suggest that most of the Oldham public is more results-focused, however.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

No apology needed. :grin:

I share your frustration. It puzzles me why everything must come down to the lowest common denominator. No room for shades of grey - it's all black or white. You're either a happy clapper or a Shez outer. And those on the fringes will do all they can to ignore any comment in the middle ground and try to shoe horn us all into either one of those categories.

Still, I suppose that's what happens when you give simple people access to the internet...