So we're pretty much over with this season

oafcprozac

Define this season  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the following best sums up your 07/08 experience?

• Success, afterall look at the injuries we've had to contend with AND we won at Leeds at Everton. That'll do fer me!
    • Above Average, Top 10 any season is a good achievement
    • Average, as expected, after losing Wellens and Porter
    • Disappointing - should've been higher
    • Very Disappointing, with the squad we assmbled we should have walked this poor league
    • Catastrophic, we're doomed, burn Shez at the stake etc...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The club might have avoided extinction, but that's no reason to pretend the future is rosy when the reality is that the club is treading water while mass disillusion sets in, with everything apparently based on an alleged plan that might not come off at all for all we know.

All of this points to a precarious, rather than rosy future.

i think people will rest more easily once they see the old stand coming down and work beginning.

the future will remain on a shoestring budget until the new development is up and running and established,then the future will look a lot brighter. but thats all off filed so to speak,and at least 4 years away

in the meantime the team has to perform and get get out of this division to help raise its profile again,every season we have a good cup run it offsets our losses making more money available for transfers,promotion brings with it more away fans spending money and so on.

i wouldnt call it a precarious future,i would be more inclined to call it an optimistic future

Ritchie should get more credit than he does and if he had similar support to what Sheridan has had from the owners then I'm sure we'd be in a much better position. Ignore what went on at Huddersfield because at least we have owners who are hands-off, supportive and dedicated to football.

He'd be one of my choices but the ultimate decision would be the owners. That aside, Mike Newell would be one but I'm sure that we'd have a decent pick come the summer.

Sheridan will still be here next season but I don't predict a major upturn in our successes I'm afraid!

I hope, in the summer, that we are looking at who Shez is bringing in as players rather than who the owners are bringing in as the next manager. If Ritchie returns I will be deeply disappointed. He didn't offer much here the first time around and if my friends who follow Huddersfield are to be believed, he didn't offer anything there in his tenure.

Why, do the same, tired, old names keep coming up for discussion when most of them go from one lower league team to another. And yet we have high expectations of them when they come here. I would much prefer to gamble on untried managers. We had two long term managers who both started their

managerial careers here and did the club proud, namely Frizzell and Royle.

I, for one, am CAUTIOUSLY prepared to give Shez more time.

KEEP THE FAITH

i think people will rest more easily once they see the old stand coming down and work beginning.

the future will remain on a shoestring budget until the new development is up and running and established,then the future will look a lot brighter. but thats all off filed so to speak,and at least 4 years away

in the meantime the team has to perform and get get out of this division to help raise its profile again,every season we have a good cup run it offsets our losses making more money available for transfers,promotion brings with it more away fans spending money and so on.

i wouldnt call it a precarious future,i would be more inclined to call it an optimistic future

Again, this is the dilemma. If promotion is put on hold until 'the plan' begins to work, decline will set in and crowds will fall further, as we are already seeing.

This means that 'the plan' (even assuming that all works out as projected) will become one geared towards permanent lower league football; or the survival of the club rather than its progress, if you like.

Lo and behold not a single one of the Shez outers has debated/challenged the above point/fact. It has been conveniently ignored.............
Why would we choose to ignore ANY games? If anything our injury woes were not apparent then, and the only real difference would be that Hughes wasn't playing (As he wouldn't for the last 10). All the games count toward the final tally, and the fact that last season's position was greater than this season's would suggest that we haven't actually improved.

Let's move away from the in / out opinions of Shez, and ask ourselves whether we think he has improved over two seasons. I personally don't think he has improved significantly enough, and thought we should have made the playoffs this season, but that doesn't make me an outer - it makes me a disappointed fan.

Keep the faith? - of course we bloody will, but we'll form and retain our own opinions while we're at it.

Again, this is the dilemma. If promotion is put on hold until 'the plan' begins to work, decline will set in and crowds will fall further, as we are already seeing.

This means that 'the plan' (even assuming that all works out as projected) will become one geared towards permanent lower league football; or the survival of the club rather than its progress, if you like.

there isnt a dilemma as such.

the owners know when the new stadia will be finished complete,as im led to beleive the first phase is due for completion for the beginning of the 2010 season,which is only 2 years away,this is what includes the conferancing and so on so realistically,we could start to see a good return in say 3 years time.

with the owners knowing the timescale they are obviously still prepared to put there hands in there pockets until this happens,and will again make sufficient funds available for the manager to spend.

there will only be a dilemma if the manager fails to bring in the required quality of player to get us out of this division,he gets the cash if he invests it badly it will not only cost us promotion,but him his job,then its back to square one again.

the future is looking up,although some cant see it because they will only use season ticket sales to judge.

if season tickets are down,and the team goes all out for promotion from day one and achieves its goal,the club will get more money as the pay on the day figure will rise with people realising they should of payed upfront.

is your glass half full or half empty????

there isnt a dilemma as such.

the owners know when the new stadia will be finished complete,as im led to beleive the first phase is due for completion for the beginning of the 2010 season,which is only 2 years away,this is what includes the conferancing and so on so realistically,we could start to see a good return in say 3 years time.

with the owners knowing the timescale they are obviously still prepared to put there hands in there pockets until this happens,and will again make sufficient funds available for the manager to spend.

there will only be a dilemma if the manager fails to bring in the required quality of player to get us out of this division,he gets the cash if he invests it badly it will not only cost us promotion,but him his job,then its back to square one again.

the future is looking up,although some cant see it because they will only use season ticket sales to judge.

if season tickets are down,and the team goes all out for promotion from day one and achieves its goal,the club will get more money as the pay on the day figure will rise with people realising they should of payed upfront.

is your glass half full or half empty????

This is the ideal scenario. I hope it comes true.

My glass, meanwhile, remains neither half-full nor half-empty but bone dry. The water evaporated completely over the past 12-14 years.

I do find it quite strange that currently so many people have voted have voted the season to be a success!

At best i think it has been very average,a couple of superb displays,then a mixture of good,mediocre,bad and downright rank!

For me,the sooner we have next season's squad signed up and in training,the better!

This is the ideal scenario. I hope it comes true.

My glass, meanwhile, remains neither half-full nor half-empty but bone dry. The water evaporated completely over the past 12-14 years.

Simply can't be arsed anymore CJ....came across this last night. Thought you might want to have a read...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...tic/3043938.stm

So, Corporal, if you're as depressed as you seem to be now, you must've been practically slitting your wrists five years ago, when the survival of the club actually was under threat.

I'm not depressed but pessimistic. I was upset by what was happening then, but not suicidal: it's only a game.

It's a competitive game, however, and I want to see my club succeed at it. The reason I am pessimistic is that, as far as I can see, floundering at this level will bring such dark days back eventually. Not least bcause there is no long-term future for full-time professional football at this level.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Why would we choose to ignore ANY games? If anything our injury woes were not apparent then, and the only real difference would be that Hughes wasn't playing (As he wouldn't for the last 10). All the games count toward the final tally, and the fact that last season's position was greater than this season's would suggest that we haven't actually improved.

Why??? Didnt my original post explain why?

With regards to the Shez in, Shez out debate that yet another thread has become....I havent checked but I bet ignoring the first ten games (ie over the last 32 games) we are comfortably in the top 6, AND on a MINISCULE budget considering all the salaries in the treatment room. That to me is a sign of a very good manager who started putting things right sometime ago. If you shez slaters want to hang him for the mistakes he was making all that time ago then what can we/he do?? Maybe you should start slating Mark Allot for his performances ten years ago.......

Here is why. To help judge the merits of whether to keep Shez or sack him and start again. Need I expand further or has it become obvious yet? Fact is after a bad start for reasons which have been discussed elsewhere (far from just Hughes) Shez sorted it out. Since October/November we have constantly been in the upper reaches of the form table and as Inspiral Carpet has mentioned a few times of late a major factor in Shezs' failure to miraculously reach the play offs has been little things in individual games. Points get wasted by players (or even refs eg Donny at home) not the manager - the manager can only do so much. Maybe when he can get is best players on the pitch it will become less of an issue??? He/we have been unlucky more often than lucky.......but im going off subject now! And I havent even mentioned the injury list.

Bottom line is Shez will do better next season after tweaking his squad over summer than a new manager would do starting afresh, as I think the mighty bosh summarised so well. Shez will have learnt a lot this year. And if he can continue the form we have shown since Oct/Nov through next season we will make the play offs.....considering the standard of said form I can't see that not being the case!

Shez firmly in, even if he does swear a lot and tries to make sure he spends his limited budget shrewdly.

I dont like to make personal attacks on here, well maybe occasionally towards the obvious idiots, but it has got to the point where I have lost all respect for the opinions on football and Latics of those who regularly call for his head without delay. I think they/you are impatient, unreasonble, impossible to please fools.

:rant.sml:

Can I just say I love the emoticons I never fail to notice a new one which cheers me up! Who is responsible for them? Any chance of a Shez in one?!? :)

Can I just say I love the emoticons I never fail to notice a new one which cheers me up! Who is responsible for them? Any chance of a Shez in one?!? :)

Just a quickie off topic - if I see any decent ones knocking about - I'll add them in, but only if it adds to the style of posting on OWTB. I try not to add random ones that mean nothing.

The latest one to be added was this one:

:tumbleweed:

Why??? Didnt my original post explain why?

Here is why. To help judge the merits of whether to keep Shez or sack him and start again. Need I expand further or has it become obvious yet? Fact is after a bad start for reasons which have been discussed elsewhere (far from just Hughes) Shez sorted it out. Since October/November we have constantly been in the upper reaches of the form table and as Inspiral Carpet has mentioned a few times of late a major factor in Shezs' failure to miraculously reach the play offs has been little things in individual games. Points get wasted by players (or even refs eg Donny at home) not the manager - the manager can only do so much. Maybe when he can get is best players on the pitch it will become less of an issue??? He/we have been unlucky more often than lucky.......but im going off subject now! And I havent even mentioned the injury list.

Bottom line is Shez will do better next season after tweaking his squad over summer than a new manager would do starting afresh, as I think the mighty bosh summarised so well. Shez will have learnt a lot this year. And if he can continue the form we have shown since Oct/Nov through next season we will make the play offs.....considering the standard of said form I can't see that not being the case!

Shez firmly in, even if he does swear a lot and tries to make sure he spends his limited budget shrewdly.

I dont like to make personal attacks on here, well maybe occasionally towards the obvious idiots, but it has got to the point where I have lost all respect for the opinions on football and Latics of those who regularly call for his head without delay. I think they/you are impatient, unreasonble, impossible to please fools.

:rant.sml:

Oh, I get it now! We ignore the first 10 games where we had a tidy looking squad, then we ignore the little things in individual games (Such as the Walsall, Swindon, Luton defeats where we were only awake for 30 minutes, and the Udders cup defeat where we rolled over).

Then we ignore the dire football that we have watched for 70% of the season, and the fact that so many potential loan players have done the "Just got to make a phone call" vanishing act after chatting with Shez.

We also ignore a failure to use transfer windows to our advantage, and disregard all the playoff targets that weren't met, plus no reduction in the number of disciplinary suspensions (Many through dissent).

We can choose to ignore many things in order to manipulate statistics if we want to stick our blinkers on, and then we can turn a a sensible debate into another boring Shez in/out argument if we still don't take those blinkers off.

We can also then 'lose all respect for the opinions on football' of people who see it differently, and we can label those people idiots and impatient, unreasonable impossible to please fools.

Once we have managed this we have abundant optimism, and we are all delighted with the way the season has gone, so we might as well shut all the message boards down because Latics' stagnation in League One is no longer cause for concern or worth talking about.

I have not stated I want Shez immediately removed, yet I do want to see improvement - I am not a fool as you suggest. I am someone who sees it differently.

The club have advanced impressively in the last 5 years - now it's time for the team to follow suit.

Oh, I get it now! We ignore the first 10 games where we had a tidy looking squad, then we ignore the little things in individual games (Such as the Walsall, Swindon, Luton defeats where we were only awake for 30 minutes, and the Udders cup defeat where we rolled over).

Then we ignore the dire football that we have watched for 70% of the season, and the fact that so many potential loan players have done the "Just got to make a phone call" vanishing act after chatting with Shez.

We also ignore a failure to use transfer windows to our advantage, and disregard all the playoff targets that weren't met, plus no reduction in the number of disciplinary suspensions (Many through dissent).

We can choose to ignore many things in order to manipulate statistics if we want to stick our blinkers on, and then we can turn a a sensible debate into another boring Shez in/out argument if we still don't take those blinkers off.

We can also then 'lose all respect for the opinions on football' of people who see it differently, and we can label those people idiots and impatient, unreasonable impossible to please fools.

Once we have managed this we have abundant optimism, and we are all delighted with the way the season has gone, so we might as well shut all the message boards down because Latics' stagnation in League One is no longer cause for concern or worth talking about.

I have not stated I want Shez immediately removed, yet I do want to see improvement - I am not a fool as you suggest. I am someone who sees it differently.

The club have advanced impressively in the last 5 years - now it's time for the team to follow suit.

Excellent post IMO.