I wish people would stop saying...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blackpool's squad was hardly the biggest, to be fair. They ended up finishing 3rd, and winning promotion, and they spent 30 games down in the lower half.

"Blackpool, Blackpool, bloody Blackpool" paraphrasing from the drama "A Very British Coup"

If the introduction of the play-offs in the late '80s gave hope to the top half of the table, Blackpool's meteoric success last season gave hope to the rest of the table...

Neither an optimist nor a pessimist but a realist.

It's easy-just because Blackpool, or whoever, did this or that, it doesn't for one second mean that another club will do so.

Nobody except people on here have mentioned us as serious contenders for the play-offs this season. That's because we haven't been. Last season we might have made the play-offs, but that was after topping the league and after a run-in that made a travesty of claims to being able to play at a higher level. A chance to go up automatically doesn't come round often; it will, as things look, be a long time before it happens again to us, not least because the falling attendances will not allow for the financing of the necessary quality on the pitch. From sixth to tenth, or wherever we're destined to finish does not look like progress to me; it looks like the opposite.

As for losing players, it's been said before, but if you let your better players go, you shouldn't expect success on the pitch. We can have all the arguments we like about the financing of such players and whether or not they were replaced adequately, but it alters nothing, as this season has proved not only that we have missed the likes of Wellens, but that a summer of disruption doesn't make for an all-important decent start nor season-long consistency.

I suppose losing 20-goal Chris Porter or the 'fantastic' playmaker that is Wellens is Shez' fault? Shez had to replace 2 players which teams would pay well over £300k for, with what exactly? He didn't have the sort of cash the owners tried making out. If he did, he wouldn't have just spent under £100k. He brought in Davies, who would have got 20 goals this season if it wasn't for his injury, and we've hardly been pleased with him, have we? If he had better decision making, he's a 25 + goal scorer, IMO.

A disruptive season, you say. Who's fault that? I've made my feelings clear on who I blamed for us losing not only £750k +, but 2 probably key players to our relative short-lasted success last season. Nowt to do with Shez - he would have had them sign in December, which was when the owners should've pulled their fingers out, and got them sat down with Hardy. They didn't - it cost us promotion, I've always said. The fatigue, yes, but the frank pathetic performances Porter/Wellens put in from the point their names were linked with several bigger clubs - especially Porter.

Again, we've got a few out of contract in the summer, probably not such an headache, but I'd rather keep Lewis and Deano, because they could be worth summat in the future. If you're correct, which I'm not denying you aren't - I actually agree, but I think that Shez seems to be getting the blame here - we'll have a worse season than lthis year's, well in your view of this season. Maybe, just maybe, if I'm correct in reading into Sheridan's words/actions, he's noted what happened last summer. We, after all, have been heavily linked with that Yantorno fella, and we've had the trialists in. So perhaps he's not going to have what he had last summer, and started early. He said that himself, of course. I don't recall seeing players in the stands, trialists in the reserves 6-7 games from the end of the season. I suppose you can say we weren't entirely sure which division we'd be in. Then again, a month ago, we certainly could have made this year's POs, too. The trialists were in the reserves at that time...

A disruptive season, you say. Who's fault that? I've made my feelings clear on who I blamed for us losing not only £750k +, but 2 probably key players to our relative short-lasted success last season. Nowt to do with Shez - he would have had them sign in December, which was when the owners should've pulled their fingers out, and got them sat down with Hardy. They didn't - it cost us promotion, I've always said. The fatigue, yes, but the frank pathetic performances Porter/Wellens put in from the point their names were linked with several bigger clubs - especially Porter.

Porter you could argue about, but Wellens was quite up front that he was going to bide his time and see what was on the table when he was out of contract.

I suppose losing 20-goal Chris Porter or the 'fantastic' playmaker that is Wellens is Shez' fault? Shez had to replace 2 players which teams would pay well over £300k for, with what exactly? He didn't have the sort of cash the owners tried making out. If he did, he wouldn't have just spent under £100k. He brought in Davies, who would have got 20 goals this season if it wasn't for his injury, and we've hardly been pleased with him, have we? If he had better decision making, he's a 25 + goal scorer, IMO.

Again, we've got a few out of contract in the summer, probably not such an headache, but I'd rather keep Lewis and Deano, because they could be worth summat in the future. If you're correct, which I'm not denying you aren't - I actually agree, but I think that Shez seems to be getting the blame here - we'll have a worse season than lthis year's, well in your view of this season. Maybe, just maybe, if I'm correct in reading into Sheridan's words/actions, he's noted what happened last summer. We, after all, have been heavily linked with that Yantorno fella, and we've had the trialists in. So perhaps he's not going to have what he had last summer, and started early. He said that himself, of course. I don't recall seeing players in the stands, trialists in the reserves 6-7 games from the end of the season. I suppose you can say we weren't entirely sure which division we'd be in. Then again, a month ago, we certainly could have made this year's POs, too. The trialists were in the reserves at that time...

How can I, for one, be blaming Sheridan when I didn't mention Sheridan?

The club would probably remain in its current trap no matter who was manager. The only variation would be in the level of mediocrity we could expect.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Guest oa_exile
How can I, for one, be blaming Sheridan when I didn't mention Sheridan?

The club would probably remain in its current trap no matter who was manager. The only variation would be in the level of mediocrity we could expect.

:sign0068::sick01: OMG I cant stand yet another day of this :bigcry::hanged::dead:

Porter you could argue about, but Wellens was quite up front that he was going to bide his time and see what was on the table when he was out of contract.

That's right.

Wellens made it well known and I remember him speaking to the rarely wrong a few times saying he was still biding his time and as soon as he knew what he was doing, the club would know immediately too.

Unlike the other chap.

That's right.

Wellens made it well known and I remember him speaking to the rarely wrong a few times saying he was still biding his time and as soon as he knew what he was doing, the club would know immediately too.

Unlike the other chap.

He said the very same on that Forum thingy that was covered on Latics World as well. I don’t get why some people think he did the dirty on us really.

He said the very same on that Forum thingy that was covered on Latics World as well. I don’t get why some people think he did the dirty on us really.

Come to think of it, he did yes, I remember being there. As was said on another thread he has a deal till 2009 with Donny. Chances are regardless of what they do, he'll have another year there and leave again to cash in. He plays it well.

What was this thread about again :unsure: