Sheridans comments

From BBC website:

Oldham manager John Sheridan has warned his inconsistent players they could be looking for a new club next season.

Five points from four games has left the Latics six points adrift of the top six and infuriated the former Republic of Ireland international.

"Footballers are not made like light switches you can just turn on and off," he told BBC Radio Manchester.

"I think some of our lads think they can do that - but if they do, they won't be playing in the side."

He added: "There are things that are going to change next season. We have got to make sure we are stronger mentally.

"Players have got to perform consistently and I am going to bring a bit more quality into the side because we must improve in certain areas."

Hit the nail on the head. I hope he puts his money where his mouth is over the summer.

The speed dial to Sheffield is ready and waiting then???????

I, like Coco, have heard that before............but i guess we'll wait and see eh, excited to see who comes in though....we've already got 1 in if the Fabian rumours are true, that's a start!!!!

The speed dial to Sheffield is ready and waiting then???????

I, like Coco, have heard that before............but i guess we'll wait and see eh, excited to see who comes in though....we've already got 1 in if the Fabian rumours are true, that's a start!!!!

whilst we have to agree to a certain extent that yes....we have heard these mutterings in various guises over the past two season......i would prefer to give the benefit of the doubt this time,and hope he does and has learnt from those past experiences,and delivers what he is saying......if come the start of the season and again he hasnt,then its all just hollow promises spewed out to appease a public that is undoubtedly losing patience.

So what's he supposed to say?

"I'll be bringing in another shower of sheite for people to moan about next season."

Would much prefer "I've thought about this long and hard since the weekend and realised that I'm out my depth as a manager. More than happy to remain as a coach and help the transition for whoever you decide to appoint and will give them my full support"

Would much prefer "I've thought about this long and hard since the weekend and realised that I'm out my depth as a manager. More than happy to remain as a coach and help the transition for whoever you decide to appoint and will give them my full support"

So he was out of his depth last season when we made the play offs? I see. Whos that coming in a dream team of Royle and Ritchie wow! THATS gonna GUARANTEE promotion!! Or have you got someone else amazing in mind? I think we should promote Dux he used to give his all! Oldham through and through that boy!

players available

I'd be willing to bet something along these lines. In January there must be so few available cheap enough options available it must be pretty difficult to get quality in. This has to be done over the off season when these players are panicing over a contract, not when they are sitting on a nice juicy one. Do that and hope that if we do need someone come the January period it is either as backup, or just the odd player.

To those who think Sheridan didn't try and bring in players in the January period, in came Jordan Robertson, Richard O'Donnell, Leon Constantine, David Livermore and Jason Jarrett. That's five players! How much more can a manager on limited resources do?

As long as it's not a massive clearout we'll be fine. We have the basis of a promotion chasing squad, with no injuries we have a decent first XI. AFAIC the squad players aren't up to scratch and can go...it's the strength in depth that we've lacked this year. Injuries have screwed us over because there isn't much quality in the team outside the first XI.

I hope and expect that Shez will just tinker with his good team to make it excellent in the summer, rather than overhaul it completely.

I'd be willing to bet something along these lines. In January there must be so few available cheap enough options available it must be pretty difficult to get quality in. This has to be done over the off season when these players are panicing over a contract, not when they are sitting on a nice juicy one. Do that and hope that if we do need someone come the January period it is either as backup, or just the odd player.

To those who think Sheridan didn't try and bring in players in the January period, in came Jordan Robertson, Richard O'Donnell, Leon Constantine, David Livermore and Jason Jarrett. That's five players! How much more can a manager on limited resources do?

I agree entirely, i think some people think getting players is just like Footy Manager. You have to pay a lot for quality in January as people are tied to contracts. Its not like there was a flurry of activity in the premier where all the money was. The only real transfers of note was Anelka and Defoe and Benjani and the knock on affects of the Anelka money changing hands at Bolton.

Edited by wozz_oafc

TBH, that ain't true really. Coz he got some of those in about 11.59pm on deadline day and the rest in February. Which is why many are saying he didn't get anyone in during January. Techincally, he didn't.